• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Launch - 165k in UK, 600k across Europe

I think it was expected Sony would do pretty well for launch considering they have more games, and they've really pushed the system in this territory. Whether or not it's going to last though.....

spwolf

Phife Dawg said:
? Where, when and who reported on this, because there is nothing in the german media about such an incident, at all.

it was there, one person got robbed of their ps3 after Munich launch... I think it was Munich.

D-X

Half of me thinks that anyone who bought a PS3 in the UK should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves - they've effectively confirmed Sony's views that European consumers will take anything. It gives Sony the green light to do it again and again.

The other half thinks ooh! ooh! Virtua Fighter 5!

As you can imagine the internal conflict is confusing.

bc226

To the person who thought Sony sold 400,000 consoles in NA at launch the number was 197,000 per NPD not even close so of course they sold out. Just check how the numbers are the PS3 has just barely broke 1,000,000 units sold in NA and less then 1,000,000 total in Japan so so far adding in the Pal numbers its possible that the PS3 has sold less then 3,000,000 units total.

No way will they hit 6 mill by march 31st.

justjohn

bc226 said:
To the person who thought Sony sold 400,000 consoles in NA at launch the number was 197,000 per NPD not even close so of course they sold out. Just check how the numbers are the PS3 has just barely broke 1,000,000 units sold in NA and less then 1,000,000 total in Japan so so far adding in the Pal numbers its possible that the PS3 has sold less then 3,000,000 units total.

i think their aim was to ship 6 million to retailers not sold, but maybe i'm wrong

spwolf

bc226 said:

6 mil is shipped, not sold to the end customer....

bc226

Do you honestly think they will hit even 6 mill shipped thats a heck of a lot of systems sitting in warehouses.

Jokeropia

Sony have no qualms with overshipping systems. They did it for the longest time with the PSP too, possibly trying to make it seem like it was keeping up with the DS. (It resulted in a backlash eventually though and they only shipped 1.76 million PSPs worldwide during the last quarter of 2006. As a comparison, Nintendo shipped 8.79 million DSs in the same period.)

MassiveAttack said:
Let's see: record-breaking hardware launch in Europe, consistent firmware updates, excellent BC, stellar line-up of games in 2007, amazing BD playback, Home, LittleBigPlanet... You're right. They don't deserve a break from the deluge of interminable criticism.
you just listed all the good news and many of your points are debatable but that's by the by.

that doesn't tell me why they need a break. they didn't need a break on the PS-one or the PS2... and a good amount of the bad press is their own making. sony became arrogant. they are working to change that attitude and i salute them for it with every more humble interview they give. i support their PR policy this year of 'no tricks'... but why should sony get any breaks?

i could just as crazily list all the good things microsoft ever did and say 'why can't they get a break on vista'. they're F'IN MICROSOFT. they don't get any breaks... not should they get any.

they didn't get any breaks when their launch was criticised. they didn't get any breaks during the software drought. they didn't get any breaks in spring or summer where the sales were slower than everyone was expecting, even though those sales in reflection were good.

sony are responsible for where the PS3 is in the US and Japan, and it's down to sony, and not anyone else, to fix that. obviously there are no warning signs in Europe yet, but why should we cut sony slack any more than anyone else?

who gave the DS a break while the PSP was kicking it's ass early on, before software and hardware sales turned things around?

no-one.

nor should they have.

they're all companies that i don't make a penny from. why should i want any of them to get a break.

if the only thing sony can hope for with the ps3 is to get a break, then they're ****ed... but i don't believe that the PS3 needs a break. i think Sony need to do a better job. i think they did a better job in Europe with the European launch. they're improving. they've got to keep that going... but i have zero reason to believe it until i see it based on the last year.

bc226

Do you honestly think they will hit even 6 mill shipped thats a heck of a lot of systems sitting in warehouses.

FredFish

gofreak said:
I think/hope we'll see a price cut this year. I think Sony knows it needs to happen, their aggression with cost reduction hopefully bodes well for that. I think there will be a lot of reigned-in demand waiting for those price cuts.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Sony is quietly stockpiling the 20gb sku manufactured with the new EE-less motherboard and the die shrunk Cell. The question becomes will they market its re-introduction as "PS3 for $100 less!" having gotten people used to the 599 figure or actually cut its MSRP?

bc226

Sorry for the double post.

So Sony has 4 days to hit 6 mill shipped even sorry i dont buy it.
Funny thing is when Nintendo releases numbers they really are sold to customers,not shipped.

spwolf

bc226 said:

i dont know what is there to think - it is an fact, not opinion...

spwolf

bc226 said:
Sorry for the double post.

So Sony has 4 days to hit 6 mill shipped even sorry i dont buy it.
Funny thing is when Nintendo releases numbers they really are sold to customers,not shipped.

that is not true... both release shipped to retailers. They dont really know exact numbers from retailers, they get it from NPD and other tracking companies, like other people do.

Link316

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Sony have no qualms with overshipping systems. They did it for the longest time with the PSP too, possibly trying to make it seem like it was keeping up with the DS. (It resulted in a backlash eventually though and they only shipped 1.76 million PSPs worldwide during the last quarter of 2006. As a comparison, Nintendo shipped 8.79 million DSs in the same period.)

love your selective memory, despite what Sony does it never got as bad as what Nintendo did with the GC though, back in 2003 they overshipped the GC so much that they actually had to stop production of it because there was already a year's supply of it stuck in the channel

D-X said:
Half of me thinks that anyone who bought a PS3 in the UK should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves - they've effectively confirmed Sony's views that European consumers will take anything. It gives Sony the green light to do it again and again.

£125 more than a launch PS2, you're an idiot if you don't see the value in that, of course it's more expensive when you look at different regions, but as a product on the British market the PS3 is value for money.

Madman said:
Because they made record breaking sales with a console that people thought was way too expensive to sell...
which i gave them full credit for. that doesn't earn them a break though.

do microsoft deserve a break because they sold millions of xbox 360s at christmas?

i don't see the logic.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Notorious_Roy said:
Well, that's weird since Sony themselves said 50k for BNLX at a retailer event a while ago. This is even more impressive though. Bye bye Xbox 360.
bishpoints1achievementsqf9.png

travisbickle said:
£125 more than a launch PS2, you're an idiot if you don't see the value in that, of course it's more expensive when you look at different regions, but as a product on the British market the PS3 is value for money.
this kind of comparison though is just as futile as people saying 'the wii would have sold more had they had the same supply'.

no-one can say that for sure.

all we can commend Sony for is having great supply. we can't take that and make comparisons about what value consumers see in the consoles... we can only praise them for great supply.

about all we can say for sure is that less consumers at launch thought the PS3 worth their money than though the PSP worth their money at launch... because that's the only other launch where the supply was greater than what the PS3 sold through.

Did sc or Sony themselves say awhile back that the UK represents 22% of Playstation brand Euro or PAL sales?
So we can deduce a maximum of 750k PS3 sold thruout all the PAL territories over the weekend, right? Or is the UK grabbing more than just 22% of PAL sales these days...?

Fixt.

Square2005 said:
Did sc or Sony themselves say awhile back that the UK represents 22% of Euro or PAL sales?
So we can deduce a maximum of 750k PS3 sold thruout all the PAL territories over the weekend, right? Or is the UK grabbing more than just 22% of PAL sales these days...?
i believe that the 360 sales in the UK are at a higher percentage of Europe than that... but we don't have the figures to know for sure i don't think.

tanod

when is my burrito
plagiarize said:
you just listed all the good news and many of your points are debatable but that's by the by.

that doesn't tell me why they need a break.....................

Correct me if I'm wrong: So basically what you're saying is they need to keep going and not sit on their ass because they still have more to do if they want to be on top. That I can agree with.

Unrelated to what you're saying, but I'm getting a bit weary of the 527 group-ification of some online media outlets and the amount of attention (implied legitimacy) they get. BTW, I'm not talking about the big 3 websites.

tanod said:
Correct me if I'm wrong: So basically what you're saying is they need to keep going and not sit on their ass because they still have more to do if they want to be on top. That I can agree with.
yep. that's basically it.

60% sell through on launch?

That was what I expected. So I give them an average rating on their launch. Not terrible. Not great.

The next question will be how long does it take Sony to sell through the rest of their launch shipment?

It took the US and Japan 3-4 months to cross a million each (Japan I don't think has made it there yet).

ComputerNerd said:

That was what I expected. So I give them an average rating on their launch. Not terrible. Not great.

The next question will be how long does it take Sony to sell through the rest of their launch shipment?

It took the US and Japan 3-4 months to cross a million each (Japan I don't think has made it there yet).

Japan won't be crossing a million until June, unless something dramatic happens.

ComputerNerd said:

Other than the PSP, no launch has cracked 325k in Europe and 600k is just average?

sonycowboy said:
Other than the PSP, no launch has cracked 325k in Europe and 600k is just average?
What launch has had such ample supply? Is this even a valid comparison? Wii and 360 launches both sold out. This is a good launch in terms of numbers moved, but if we are trying to gauge demand compared to other launches, that is really hard to do. I believe Wii definitely had more demand at launch.

Oni Jazar

Maxwell House said:
What launch has had such ample supply? Is this even a valid comparison? Wii and 360 launches both sold out. This is a good launch in terms of numbers moved, but if we are trying to gauge demand compared to other launches, that is really hard to do. I believe Wii definitely had more demand at launch.

Sony should be docked for having more supply at launch. Bad Sony.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I can see the headlines now:

"Sony unable to sell 40% of their Launch shipments". Sony can't catch a break with these so called journalist.

Anyway, way to go with the sales sony. A machine at this price selling like this is unheard of.

Just to put this into perspective, imagine sony had not taken all these risk and released a cheaper system. That thing would have been unstoppable.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
bud said:
PS3 LOL

$599 ain't nothin' if you can holla fo' a dolla

shit son, juz wait till Gran Turismo V: Holla Fo a Dollar and GTA IV: Holla fo 2 Dolla hits. Yuruop gon explode, hide the dragons.

60% sell through is about the same for NA/Japan through the end of December, so this launch was comparatively much better...but still, it's 4 months of additional pent-up demand with no sell-out?

If demand worldwide is any indication, Sony's going to crawl towards selling that 1 millionth console for the next couple of months. If they are closer to NA than they are to Japan, you can expect them to sell through by the end of June.

Solid...if not spectacular.

Top Bottom