• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal has sold out two days after launch | Listings with inflated prices have started to appear online

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve been critical of this thing, but as we’ve gotten more toddlers in the house I’ve kind of pivoted.. The Switch has been a blessing.

Although I’ve been waiting on a Ps5 Pro to release.. Would there even be a point in getting this alongside a Ps5 Pro? Feels like all the benefits would kind of disappear if I’m playing on a small portable?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So couldn't Sony just release a FW update to allow streaming from cloud? It already is streaming from a PS5 so I don't see why not. Actually I've we been expecting them to do this since day 1.

We've only had one update and all the other PS5 apps are still locked out. All you can do is game on it, which is cool I guess. That's why I bought it but I'd like to do more like YT TV, Paramount, and Pluto.

Streaming from my PS5 to cloud works phenomenal with fiber. My average latency check is always between 4 and 9 ms.

If all I ever get to do is game on this I guess that's fine and I've ready got more use out of this than I did Vita but the extra options would be cool.

Yes they could do a FW update to do cloud streaming. A Playstation exec has already talked about this for the Portal also. I think they "may not" be allowing the other apps due to licensing issues and not a technical issue. Like Hulu for instance isn't supposed to work through remote play. It's either working natively on a device like your TV, Apple TV, or console. Or it's on your mobile phone. But you can't remote share it to other TVs from your phone for instance.
It's against their policy.

No, is not

Any other device is able to connect to the mobile hotspot. But not the portal

Dang. Are you on AT&T by chance? I had this same issue and I'm on AT&T. I found the fix on Reddit for me at least and now I can use my mobile hotspot with my Portal.

Skifi28

What was the point of sony putting wifi 6 in ps5 if their other released hardware which would greatly take advantage of it doesnt support it? We could've had a wireless psvr 2 and much better portal streaming If they both supported wifi6.
It's a low bitrate 1080p stream, you're not even really using wifi 5. The only thing wifi 6 would have done is increase the cost.

Markio128

I only really have one negative, and that is, if you don’t use headphones, then the lowest volume setting is still too loud imho. This is coming from someone who uses the Portal when the missus is watching her soaps on TV. She is always giving me the evils when I’m mid-battle in FF7:R. 😂

Zheph

I only really have one negative, and that is, if you don’t use headphones, then the lowest volume setting is still too loud imho. This is coming from someone who uses the Portal when the missus is watching her soaps on TV. She is always giving me the evils when I’m mid-battle in FF7:R. 😂
You would do yourself a favor by using a headphone for the musics in that game anyway

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This is agree with. Not sure how this is possible, but yes the lowest setting is too loud. I never thought this could even be an issue on any device, but it is here.

FrankWza

I’ve been critical of this thing, but as we’ve gotten more toddlers in the house I’ve kind of pivoted.. The Switch has been a blessing.

Although I’ve been waiting on a Ps5 Pro to release.. Would there even be a point in getting this alongside a Ps5 Pro? Feels like all the benefits would kind of disappear if I’m playing on a small portable?
You're still going to benefit from games being 60fps that wouldn't be without a pro. And possibly a sharper image since it's getting down to 1080p from a higher rest instead of struggling. Plus it's portable

FrankWza

Also, would be nice to combine all these threads with the OT and the Explore/Elite threads. Is that possible? There's some good info that gets lost

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
You're still going to benefit from games being 60fps that wouldn't be without a pro. And possibly a sharper image since it's getting down to 1080p from a higher rest instead of struggling. Plus it's portable
Hmm, okay. That sounds pretty great. Thanks!

Another question. Can this be used without having the Ps5 hooked up to a TV with the HDMI? Like, can I have the Ps5 plugged in to an outlet in a room and start it using the Portal, and then play exclusively using the portal?

Last edited:

Markio128

Another question. Can this be used without having the Ps5 hooked up to a TV with the HDMI? Like, can I have the Ps5 plugged in to an outlet in a room and start it using the Portal, and then play exclusively using the portal?
Good question, I’m not sure tbh. I know the TV doesn’t need to be switched on.

onQ123

I'm mostly shocked that I was able to play a fighting game & pinball .

Sidenote does anyone else find Portal to be a little more immersive while playing GT7 than playing on a TV or Monitor?

It might be the fact that you're holding the Portal in your hands with the screen right in your face. Pinball is more enjoyable also

FrankWza

I guess it's a yes and no? You would need to have it hooked initially to set up. And if you don't put your PS5 into rest mode through the portal each time there may be an issue connecting if you were to use your DualSense or Portal to turn off the PS5. Or if there's a power surge and your PS5 restarts.

Killjoy-NL

After linking it with your PS5, I assume you don't need to have it hooked to your tv anymore.

FrankWza

My only negative are no back buttons. Besides that, I would love to see a revision or next model have a sliding screen where you can move it up a few notches. Just to be able to adjust the eye level. I feel like it would be more natural an inch or 2 above the controller part.

Robb

Gold Member
I know the TV doesn’t need to be switched on.

You would need to have it hooked initially to set up

After linking it with your PS5, I assume you don't need to have it hooked to your tv anymore.
Way To Go Thumbs Up GIF

Thanks guys!

Initial setup was expected, but it’s nice to know it should work just from the power outlet alone from there.

Traxtech

The worst part about the portal is if an app crashes you can't even re connect after it boots you. You have to physically be in front of the console to get rid of the error screen so you can reconnect. So dumb

onQ123

The worst part about the portal is if an app crashes you can't even re connect after it boots you. You have to physically be in front of the console to get rid of the error screen so you can reconnect. So dumb
Haven't ran into that problem yet but wouldn't plugging your PS5 into a smart plug just in case you have to restart your PS5 fix that?

My PS5 has never crashed so I'm not sure what you're dealing with but I'm a natural born problem solver.

Top Bottom