• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal |OT| From WC with Love

Zheph

1700517269207.png

PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player for PS5® console​

Feel the power of PlayStation® in the palm of your hand.

-------​

Play your game collection​

PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player can play compatible games you have installed on your PS5 console, including your favourite games for PS5 and PS4.

Experience breath-taking immersion with DualSense® wireless controller features​

Feel the immersive power of haptic feedback and adaptive triggers in supported games4. Responsive vibrations react to your in‑game choices and simulate environmental factors. Dynamic resistance mimics the tension of interactions with in‑game gear and objects in select PS5 games.

Beautiful 8” LCD screen​

Take in every exquisite detail of your favourite games as they come alive on a brightly lit and gorgeous full HD screen.

60fps capable at 1080p resolution​

PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player can deliver silky-smooth gameplay at up to 60fps with high image clarity on its 1080p resolution screen.

Get gaming fast​

PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player is a purpose-built device dedicated to delivering an incredible remote play experience. That means you can turn it on, press a button to connect to your PS5 console and get right to playing with remarkable speed.

No TV needed to play and no living room required.​

Since PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player lets you stream games over your home Wi-Fi1, you can play your PS5 console even when someone else is using the TV it’s connected to.
Simply turn on PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player and you’re good to go. With PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player on your home Wi-Fi connection1, you have more flexibility to play in any room where you live1 with no TV required. Would you like to keep playing while you’re in the kitchen eating breakfast? Go for it!

playstation-5-portal.png

-------

REVIEWS

YOUTUBE

-------

TIPS & TRICKS

PS5 should be hardwired via Ethernet.

Put static IPs on both the PS5 and portal.

Check channel congestion - use something like Wi-fi analyzer from the Google store to see which one is the less congested and then go to your router and select said channel.(or, you could put it to "auto" in the router's settings).

Use only the 5Ghz channel - it's better if you separate the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz channels from within your router as to be sure to which one your device(s) connect to, i.e, create a "Neogaf 2.4GHz" and a "Neogaf 5GHz" one.

If you have a shitty ISP provided router and you can't connect, make sure to open the specific ports for RP (can find them on Sony's site).
Some routers won't let you open specific ports (blocked by the ISP) - happened to me with my ISP's router and no matter what i did, i couldn't connect/put the PS5 out of sleep mode, in the end, i had to buy a new router and now everything works as it should.

From within your router's settings, enable the QoS priority mode for both the PS5 and your device.

-------

MORE TO COME

Last edited:

Zheph

Yeah, agreed, an OT was needed. Oh and I don't own one either yet, but I'll probably pick one up sometime next year.

Btw, the OT looks great on mobile, too!
Oh yeah I just ordered a Steam Deck OLED but I might cave later as well, eager to see what updates Sony will provide for it.

Good to know I will try it right now

(it actually looks better on mobile lol Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives )

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Work, Christmas Decorations and a sick toddler have taken up the last few days but my first true field test for the Portal over internet is going to happen this weekend while I'm at my parents house 80 miles away. PS5 will be wired, and we both have fiber Internet so this will be about as optimal as I can get things.

Zheph

I don't have either but wouldn't the steam deck get similar battery life if you were just streaming a game?
I am not sure mate I will eventually have both items but can't try it right now

It seems for remote play the PP is the best item but obviously the deck allows you to do more stuff

Ogbert

I don't have either but wouldn't the steam deck get similar battery life if you were just streaming a game?
The Portal will last longer.

I can only stream Destiny 2 on my deck for a couple of hours. That said, I’m reasonably convinced there’s something wrong with the battery on my device.

tommib

I’ll get one when they fix the HDR-120hz issue. I’m not going to change these settings and then back every time I use the device.

Great that we have an OT.

64bitbros

Alas no. My Steam Deck usually kicks the bucket around the 2 hour mark, even with all settings like CPU/GPU turned way down. I haven't played my Portal till empty, but i got to the 4 hour mark easily.

Gamerguy84

PSPortal battery is decent. The only battery indicator we have is 3 bars though so can't wait until they turn that into a % with a FW update.

Left it on stand by just turning the screen off in the middle of SM2 last night. Went to bed with 3 bars and woke up with 3 bars. Of course If each bar is representing 33% thats not very accurate.

FrankWza

Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa excellent tip on page 1 at least until added to OP

A few tips boys :

- PS5 should be hardwired via Ethernet

- Put static IPs on both the PS5 and portal

- Check channel congestion - use something like Wi-fi analyzer from the Google store to see which one is the less congested and then go to your router and select said channel.(or, you could put it to "auto" in the router's settings).

- Use only the 5Ghz channel - it's better if you separate the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz channels from within your router as to be sure to which one your device(s) connect to, i.e, create a "Neogaf 2.4GHz" and a "Neogaf 5GHz" one.

- If you have a shitty ISP provided router and you can't connect, make sure to open the specific ports for RP (can find them on Sony's site).
Some routers won't let you open specific ports (blocked by the ISP) - happened to me with my ISP's router and no matter what i did, i couldn't connect/put the PS5 out of sleep mode, in the end, i had to buy a new router and now everything works as it should.

- From within your router's settings, enable the QoS priority mode for both the PS5 and your device

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sounds like a nice device, I would consider a PC equivilant device but only with an OLED screen. A dedicated device should at least match my jury rigged solution in the quality of its basic functions.
To add to the above post - for someone who streams a lot - consider adding a dedicated router just for streaming.

Last edited:

Zheph

A few tips boys :

- Check channel congestion - use something like Wi-fi analyzer from the Google store to see which one is the less congested and then go to your router and select said channel.(or, you could put it to "auto" in the router's settings).

- Use only the 5Ghz channel - it's better if you separate the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz channels from within your router as to be sure to which one your device(s) connect to, i.e, create a "Neogaf 2.4GHz" and a "Neogaf 5GHz" one.

- If you have a shitty ISP provided router and you can't connect, make sure to open the specific ports for RP (can find them on Sony's site).

- From within your router's settings, enable the QoS priority mode for both the PS5 and your device
Done

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Nankatsu

Gold Member
One question to my GAF geek network friends.

In Portal's case, should I have better wi-fi connection if I'm setting next to the router itself or next to the PS5 (mine it's wired)?

The norm is the closer you are to the router the better, but judging by the signal bars my Portal shows, I actually get a better connection while sitting next to the PS5.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
I really can't wait for Sony to update the device and hopefully add bitrate customization. It's killing me that the performance is so much better on the G Cloud... I want to use this nice screen and the dualsense controls!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm ordering one the day they announce cloud streaming for it

I bet within a year you will have your wish. However, my worry is that it won't live up to the local streaming experience, so not sure just yet. Hopefully they add ability to use some streaming video apps too.

mako

It's become my preferred way to play PS, once it's hacked and an xcloud app is available that'll be great too. The 8" screen is a decent size for rendering text elements designed for larger screens.

FrankWza

I have seen some early reviews of Pulse Explore but none that go in depth with Portal. So, is Link activated yet? Will it require a PS5 update as well?

midnightAI

I really can't wait for Sony to update the device and hopefully add bitrate customization. It's killing me that the performance is so much better on the G Cloud... I want to use this nice screen and the dualsense controls!
Have you double checked that your Portal is connected to 5ghz and not 2.4ghz? There is no reason at all that Portal would be any worse than any other Remote play device.

danklord

Gold Member
Have you double checked that your Portal is connected to 5ghz and not 2.4ghz? There is no reason at all that Portal would be any worse than any other Remote play device.
Yes -- I upgraded the router aswell and have the portal on a dedicated 5ghz band, the only other device on the band is the gcloud for testing. I suspect it's because I'm able to max out the bitrate settings manually and Sony must have a cap. But I notice it when watching people's footage online too.

Here's a video of what I'm seeing --

It's pretty night and day imo.

iHaunter

Sounds like a nice device, I would consider a PC equivilant device but only with an OLED screen. A dedicated device should at least match my jury rigged solution in the quality of its basic functions.
To add to the above post - for someone who streams a lot - consider adding a dedicated router just for streaming.
That's what I'm waiting for. Was considering this, but I need an OLED version for $200. LCD version should be $150. It's just a screen with a dual sense.

midnightAI

Yes -- I upgraded the router aswell and have the portal on a dedicated 5ghz band, the only other device on the band is the gcloud for testing. I suspect it's because I'm able to max out the bitrate settings manually and Sony must have a cap. But I notice it when watching people's footage online too.

Well I would have though the bitrate is dependent on the outgoing stream from the PS5 which should be the same regardless? it does look different though (and looks much better on mine than both of those but that could be the way you are recording the footage). That's why I'm saying it shouldn't make any difference which device you are using because all it is doing is decoding a stream and sending inputs, nothing else.

(and the other settings to turn off on the PS5 are VRR, 120hz, HDR, and in Spider Man 2 put it in performance 60fps mode, but those should affect gcloud also)

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Bought this case on Amazon, turned out pretty great. Offers a back support to hold the console when you're not using it, plus if offers a slick look because it's doesnt cover the device 100%.

IMG-20231121-193721.jpg

IMG-20231121-193700.jpg

The edges of the screen were not correctly inserted when I took the pictures. I fixed that after and it fits perfectly.

Still waiting for my protection screens for the display.

Edit: In case someone likes and wants the link.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
Well I would have though the bitrate is dependent on the outgoing stream from the PS5 which should be the same regardless? it does look different though (and looks much better on mine than both of those but that could be the way you are recording the footage). That's why I'm saying it shouldn't make any difference which device you are using because all it is doing is decoding a stream and sending inputs, nothing else.

(and the other settings to turn off on the PS5 are VRR, 120hz, HDR, and in Spider Man 2 put it in performance 60fps mode, but those should affect gcloud also)

Video quality aside because the camera angle is a little close, do feel momentary jitter or reduction in frames when playing similar to my example? I didn't think it was there until I tested the gcloud. Video quality in terms of resolution is pretty good, it's just the consistent performance.

FrankWza

Bought this case on Amazon, turned out pretty great. Offers a back support to hold the console when you're not using it, plus if offers a slick look because it's doesnt cover the device 100%.

IMG-20231121-193721.jpg

IMG-20231121-193700.jpg

The edges of the screen were not correctly inserted when I took the pictures. I fixed that after and it fits perfectly.

Still waiting for my protection screens for the display.
Is that rigid like a shell or is it like the regular silicone skins?

midnightAI

Video quality aside because the camera angle is a little close, do feel momentary jitter or reduction in frames when playing similar to my example? I didn't think it was there until I tested the gcloud. Video quality in terms of resolution is pretty good, it's just the consistent performance.
I personally (in general) have zero hitches in framerate or resolution no matter where I play it in the house (even in the garden), I have only ever really played Spider Man 2 on it but so far smooth sailing for me. And I am using my ISP router and extender (BT Smart Hub 2 and BT Wi-Fi Disc). The only issue I had was that originally I had the PS5 on WiFi to the hub but the PS5 has a habit of using the 2.4ghz band so I changed that to 5ghz and there was then no issues (changed it on the PS5 itself), I have since changed that to a Cat6e cable and changed the PS5 to use that (its surprising how many change to wired but then don't change their network settings to use Lan, assuming it will switch automatically when you plug in the cable but it doesn't) but it was fine on WiFi as it was but wired is more stable obviously.

The only issue I have is there is just no easy way of changing accounts (as far as I can tell). The account is linked to the account you scan the QR code with so to switch you have to log in with a different account in the PS App on my phone and then log out of the Account on Portal and then log in again scanning the QR code. Totally annoying, but not limited to Portal. If anyone knows of any other way then let me know.

Last edited:

64bitbros

What am i looking for? Jitter or video quality? I know that the Portal always starts out a bit blurry, but then ramps up the bitrate and improves considerably within 10-15 seconds or so. Like its testing the water before pumping up the bitrate.

danklord

Gold Member
What am i looking for? Jitter or video quality? I know that the Portal always starts out a bit blurry, but then ramps up the bitrate and improves considerably within 10-15 seconds or so. Like its testing the water before pumping up the bitrate.
The jitter, the camera angle is a little too close to judge the resolution. I can make another a little later that's better. It's night and day with the gcloud which makes me think it can't be my network that's the issue because it's working so well on all other devices.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Guys does your Portal sometimes struggle to connect to the PS5 if you turn the console first and leave it waiting on the profile login screen?

The Shepard

I'm having an issue with the audio stuttering/crackling. Hoping it can be updated out. Minus that, love the device and currently playing octopath traveller 2 on it which is fantastic.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

A few tips boys :

I wouldn't recommend QoS if you have fast internet. Above 500Mbit or at least 1Gbit, you don't need QoS at all.

FrankWza

It's not totally rigid. It's flexible enough for you to bend and put the device but feels more rigid than standard silicone.
Will it fit in one of the hard shell carry cases or do you think it makes it too bulky? I ordered a clear hard shell that reminds me of playgear pocket Logitech made for PSP. But I didn't realize it cover the handles and I'd rather use kontrol freak pads there. I need something that just covers the middle part.

l noticed the Portal itself is now unavailable on Amazon. They were going for $500 and now they're either sold out or the listings were removed. U. S.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

A few tips boys :

Thanks for this!

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Will it fit in one of the hard shell carry cases or do you think it makes it too bulky? I ordered a clear hard shell that reminds me of playgear pocket Logitech made for PSP. But I didn't realize it cover the handles and I'd rather use kontrol freak pads there. I need something that just covers the middle part.

l noticed the Portal itself is now unavailable on Amazon. They were going for $500 and now they're either sold out or the listings were removed. U. S.
I think it easily fits on a case (I don't have one on my own yet, but it doesn't make the Portal bulky at all.) For reference I can still close the Portal on its original grey card box without any issues.

Beechos

Why does the portal not do wifi6 along with psvr 2. Why did sony even bother to put wifi6 in ps5? 2 devices they released which would've benefitted from wifi6.

FrankWza

Gaf Im leaning on yall for this. My puny hands needs a good gripcase for this. Any suggestions?
Nankatsu Nankatsu recommended one up a few posts. You can also try dualsense sticky pads and trim them to fit if necessary. Also need to consider it fitting in a travel case if you are using one for storage or carry too. I'm not a fan of the silicone ones that are floppy but there a bunch of options for those on Amazon as well as the tpu and clear, hard shell style. Amazon is the only bet right now for turnaround and stock because I don't believe any other retailers are carrying accessories

Top Bottom