• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal reviews

K' Dash

I bet its the cause of many of these fast returns as I have seen people say its not the "portable" device I was looking for

In fact @Sleepwalker called it several days before launch this very thing would happen
Michael Jordan Lol GIF

midnightAI

He didn’t buy it, he hates sony.
Psst, I know, I was waiting for the response so I can basically say 'how do you know if you haven't used one'... Anyway, I'd argue PS camera is the worst (even though we got a ton of fun out if Eye Pet and Eye of Judgment), or maybe the original PS1 controller... A 3d console with no analog controls? Or maybe the Move controllers which have horrible tracking

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yo, it seems you have to actually git gud in order to set up your portal lol.

Thick, I had that one week ago when trying to connect my tablet to my PS account and it was indeed hell as i stood there like an idiot for 20+ minutes...

- "one picture didn't match, please retry" (after already trying for 5 mins)
- "one picture didn't match, please retry" (after 10 mins)
- tried with the phonetic system where a robotic voice tells you to distinguish which sound out of 3 doesn't sound like the other 2 (it was cat's meows and dog's barks for me, i shit you not), failed that 3 times (spent another good 10+ mins on that).

In the end, after 20+ mins i just shouted " FOR FUCKSSSS SAAAAKEEE MOTHERFUCKERSSS" out of pure frustration prompting my girlfriend to exit her room and asking me "what happened ? are you OK" ? :messenger_beaming:

God damn what a frustrating muhfuggin' experience, f' 'em, f' 'em in the the ear, f' em in the other ear, seriously...

PS : this doesn't have to do with the Portal btw, just Sony's abhorrent verification system

Last edited:
Thick, I had that one week ago when trying to connect my tablet to my PS account and it was indeed hell as i stood there like an idiot for 20+ minutes...

- "one picture didn't match, please retry" (after already trying for 5 mins)
- "one picture didn't match, please retry" (after 10 mins)
- tried with the phonetic system where a robotic voice tells you to distinguish which sound out of 3 doesn't sound like the other 2 (it was cat's meows and dog's barks for me, i shit you not), failed that 3 times (spent another good 10+ mins on that).

In the end, after 20+ mins i just shouted " FOR FUCKSSSS SAAAAKEEE MOTHERFUCKERSSS" out of pure frustration prompting my girlfriend to exit her room and asking me "what happened ? are you OK" ? :messenger_beaming:

God damn what a frustrating muhfuggin' experience, f' this shit, seriously...

PS : this doesn't have to do with the Portal btw, just Sony's abhorrent verification system
Yeah, I know, I was just sharing a humorous post. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Still, pretty insane from Sony to force you to solve these types of BS captchas. Just give me those where I have to pick the traffic lights and be done with it.

Last edited:

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Not sure what changed but my Portal is way more responsive than the first time I tried it.

I was able to play COD Zombies, solo a merc stronghold and extract without hiccup.

Played GTAV with my little brother as well that was even better.

Not sure if it was just the stars aligning but It finally clicked for me last night.

yurinka

i'll just repeat what i said when i heard about this. one of the biggest flops Sony has ever put out PS hardware wise inc. its a niche of a niche
We don't have anything leading to think it's a flop. If something, we have facts that lead to think maybe the opposite: its preorders got sold out in multiple countries and after releasing it, it also got sold out in some places.

So we don't know if it sold a lot or not, but seems that it's selling above Sony's expectations.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Not sure what changed but my Portal is way more responsive than the first time I tried it.

I was able to play COD Zombies, solo a merc stronghold and extract without hiccup.

Not sure if it was just the stars aligning but It finally clicked for me last night.

maybe this time your portal connected to the 5GHz SSID instead of the 2.4 GHz one ?
Have you actually separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals into 2 different SSIDs from within your router ?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Like Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa said make sure your portal is connecting to the 5GHz channel only plus download a free WiFi analyzer and make sure your specific channel is not overly congested and maybe switch channels in your router

The Shepard

My playstation portal runs almost flawlessly with 18 hours of play time so far at home minus an issue with the audio stuttering/ crackling when I got wired earphones in. I'm gonna tinker with the audio settings when I'm back from work and see if I can cure it. Unless anyone knows how to cure the problem? It's only the audio every now and then the picture stays perfect all the time.

schaft0620

Wooxsvan

We don't have anything leading to think it's a flop. If something, we have facts that lead to think maybe the opposite: its preorders got sold out in multiple countries and after releasing it, it also got sold out in some places.

So we don't know if it sold a lot or not, but seems that it's selling above Sony's expectations.
ya i can take it like a big boy and eat some crow but for now i will lean towards flop. Its all based on ones expectations. Not a flop would be at-least Vita numbers. I dont see it getting there.

leo-j

One thing that everyone has been asking for is ps cloud streaming, I def think this device can do it, just add a ps plus icon and go from there, but TBH it would mean not needing to purchase a ps5 and just get a portal and a ps plus premium sub (159.99 and 199.99 respectively) ….. unsure when and if a feature like that would release, but I believe ps plus streaming is available on PC, this would be a better alternative as it would be a dedicated ps handheld.

Last edited:

BlvckFox

Gold Member
maybe this time your portal connected to the 5GHz SSID instead of the 2.4 GHz one ?
Have you actually separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals into 2 different SSIDs from within your router ?
Like Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa said make sure your portal is connecting to the 5GHz channel only plus download a free WiFi analyzer and make sure your specific channel is not overly congested and maybe switch channels in your router

Wow, that has to be it. I’m out of town for a few weeks and this spot does not have them separated.

Thanks for the info!

Lol. People are still trying to hate on this thing days later? Get a life.

This device is the only way to play demanding AAA games comfortably, for hours, and has current gen haptics. Other options like steamdeck have crap battery life, not as good ergonomics, and lack the haptics. It's a great device at a great price point.

Saber

Gold Member

I like their review about it, since it sums my views about Portal just right(too expansive for an acessory that is bellow "ok"). Its hard to have a discussion about it when most people is way too touchy about the criticism(most of responses looks like AI generated). The disconnection part of the video sounds way too ridiculous.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Here is my review of this fine electronic item: The TV remote.

y5a5KzW.jpg

When you have a TV, this is great to change the channel, or adjust sound, the screen's brightness and colour.

Con: Must own a TV to use
Doesn't tend to cost 1/2 the price of the tv to possess or replace, but sure?

skit_data

BG3 Director of Publishing on his new Portal

BG3 and other turn based games are pretty much the perfect use case for something like this.

I have no interest in the Portal but what I can say is that I managed tp play through almost all of Dark Souls 2 on PS4 via remote play after switching to the 5gHz wifi on my router so people saying Portal is making all games unplayable (I can understand FPS games and twitch based shooters) should probably double check a few things before blaming it on the device. Not having the console hard wired should be a punishable offense in this context, for example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom