• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal |OT| From WC with Love

EnergyStar

Neo Member
Here's a great post addressing the micro stutter issue on the PlayStation Portal. The problem lies in the display refresh rate versus the frame rate sent by the PS5 through remote play. It shouldn't be difficult for Sony to resolve, but it's surprising they haven't addressed it yet. Other unofficial remote play apps seem to have resolved this issue. Is there a way to inform someone competent at Sony about this?

TransTrender

Gold Member
I used mine quite a bit over the Christmas break to finish up side quests in FFXVI but before I started up a new big game I was wondering if there were any updates to the firmware or any other tribal knowledge to improve performance on this thing.

Mahavastu

hmm, I had some "murphys law" moment:
In the night before my portal arrived, a short power blackout somehow disabled my landline internet connection and I have to wait a few days to get it repaired.
I tried to play with it via my hotspot with my mobile phone (Samsung S23) for testing, but it does not work (can not connect to the PS5). Has someone an idea what I can do?

Archie501

Neo Member
hmm, I had some "murphys law" moment:
In the night before my portal arrived, a short power blackout somehow disabled my landline internet connection and I have to wait a few days to get it repaired.
I tried to play with it via my hotspot with my mobile phone (Samsung S23) for testing, but it does not work (can not connect to the PS5). Has someone an idea what I can do?
This might be stupid but have you also connected your PS5 to your mobile hotspot?

Mahavastu

This might be stupid but have you also connected your PS5 to your mobile hotspot?
of course... Maybe the phone filters some ports?

normally it would be possible to connect both to the router, but the videos look like the portal requires internet access. with my current problem the internal network should work, but no connection to the outside world.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Still have yet to see one of these available for sale that isn't from a scalper charging $300+

Was thinking of picking one up for when Final Fantasy VII launches later this month...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

normally it would be possible to connect both to the router, but the videos look like the portal requires internet access. with my current problem the internal network should work, but no connection to the outside world.

I had this same problem with my Samsung S21 last week after it updated. I'm with AT&T. I had to go into my router and open the PS5 and PSN ports up on my firewall. Once I did that, I rebooted my PS5 and it worked perfectly!!!

DrFigs

Still have yet to see one of these available for sale that isn't from a scalper charging $300+

Was thinking of picking one up for when Final Fantasy VII launches later this month...
i used the hot stock app. i paid for premium, but the auto-buy option didn't work for me. i ended up just getting a notification that best buy had stock and bought it manually.

Mahavastu

I had this same problem with my Samsung S21 last week after it updated. I'm with AT&T. I had to go into my router and open the PS5 and PSN ports up on my firewall. Once I did that, I rebooted my PS5 and it worked perfectly!!!
My router goes to cable, which is broken at the moment, so I can not use it until monday. And of course I want to see the shiny new toy :pie_eyeroll:
I have currently both connected with the S23 via Hotspot now. How can I open the ports, and which should be opened?
I never opened anything on my cable router...

Thanks.

mckmas8808

My router goes to cable, which is broken at the moment, so I can not use it until monday. And of course I want to see the shiny new toy :pie_eyeroll:
I have currently both connected with the S23 via Hotspot now. How can I open the ports, and which should be opened?
I never opened anything on my cable router...

Thanks.

Ah man.......if both are connected to your hotspot, that should 100% work. Make sure your cell phone isn't connected to some wifi connection for some reason. What error message do you get on your PS Portal when you try to connect to it?

Mahavastu

Ah man.......if both are connected to your hotspot, that should 100% work. Make sure your cell phone isn't connected to some wifi connection for some reason. What error message do you get on your PS Portal when you try to connect to it?
just does not find the console, that animation goes on for a while until it gives up.
Cellphone is getting internet via cellular...
I will just try again tomorrow. Worst thing that can happen is that I can not test the new shiny thing until monday :pie_eyeroll:
Thanks.

Last edited:

FrankWza

just does not find the console, that animation goes on for a while until it gives up.
Cellphone is getting internet via cellular...
I will just try again tomorrow. Worst thing that can happen is that I can not test the new shiny thing until monday :pie_eyeroll:
Thanks.
I would try deleting/forgetting the regular wifi connection from both devices.

FrankWza

People were saying that most were going to be returned by parents thinking it was a portable Playstation or when they realized it requires a PS5. That was after the DoA talk prelaunch.

ReBurn

Gold Member

I've had issues with using my mobile hotspot for gaming. I can never get Switch or PS5 multiplayer to work on my 5G hotspot when it's just fine on home cable connection.

Mahavastu

I've had issues with using my mobile hotspot for gaming. I can never get Switch or PS5 multiplayer to work on my 5G hotspot when it's just fine on home cable connection.
thanks.
Probably the same problem, other symptoms. I will just wait then

mckmas8808

Very impressed with the portal. Handling Spider-Man and Persona 3 very well.

Sometimes I forget I am streaming. That worries me a little. But it seems to look great on that screen size.

Why does this worry you?

.hacked

I have had mine for just under a week and I love it. Kids usually take my tv and just so nice to turn this thing on and play some spiderman 2.

Has anyone tried a similar setup with a Xbox series X and a Logitech go?

mckmas8808

I am pretty against a streaming future, even worse than all digital. It was my first experience where I was like, this could actually be viable.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even though it works, I don't think most people want to play games this way. Not as a main way to play at least.

leo-j

I am pretty against a streaming future, even worse than all digital. It was my first experience where I was like, this could actually be viable.
Yes it’s pretty crazy how good the premium streaming option is on ps5. Streaming 4k with ps5 cloud streaming on ps plus is crazy detailed and almost 0 difference at least to the naked eye, been playing ragnorock and Gtav since they are like 150GB games, saves a lot of SSD space.

DrFigs

ps direct direct is indicating they will have stock on the 15th:
Not in stock? We are regularly restocking this item on site, please check back on February 15th.
Could be a random date, but i dont think i've seen them be this specific before.

demigod

Well, I tried this from out of state. My PS5 is wired at home in Texas. Currently in Ohio. Used my phone as hotspot, download speed is in the 900s. It took forever to connect to my PS5. Played about 15 minutes and it lost connection. It took even longer trying to reconnect. I’m not sure what T-mobile did but I had issues even trying to hotspot(had to manually input it) whereas I had no problems when I bought it in November.

Anyone else had this issue?

DrFigs

So best buy fucking lied to me. Apparently the ps portal shipment wasn't coming until the end of the month, so the expected delivery date was just a flat out lie :/
I am moving out of state before that. So I had to cancel the order.
I am back to not having a ps portal ;_;

worst part is that playstation direct really did have stock available the last few days, so I could have easily bought one for real.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Looks like the Portal has finally been hacked. Famous PS hacker "TheFloW" was able to bypass the custom code that blocks APK installations and was able to run PPSSPP natively. Apparently the Portal has 6gb of internal storage and lacks a micro sd card slot. It's insane Sony wont let us play our purchased Vita/PSP games on this device as we have nowhere to play them on modern hardware. Glad to see it was cracked.

Cyberpunkd

tempted to get it just so I can try my setup at home. I travel very rarely so this would be almost exclusively for home use. Better battery and no noise than the Steam Deck, also much more of an impulse buy. I really cba to boot up the TV each time I want to play.

Sleepwalker

tempted to get it just so I can try my setup at home. I travel very rarely so this would be almost exclusively for home use. Better battery and no noise than the Steam Deck, also much more of an impulse buy. I really cba to boot up the TV each time I want to play.
It has helped me tons with my backlog, i say do it. I used to travel a lot but rarely do nowadays and still found it pretty useful.

Markio128

I had one delivered at long last over the weekend. My early impressions are pretty positive - it feels really comfortable to hold, the controllers are great, and the screen really pops.

The only issue I have is that my wi-fi isn’t good enough to play a game at the same time as downloading one. Other than that though, the experience has been almost as good as playing on the TV, with just the occasional stutter here and there.

One thing worth pointing out is that, with a few games that I was playing in quality mode on the TV, I am now playing in performance mode on the Portal, purely because they still look awesome on the small screen. I put around 3 hours into FF16 last night and I really enjoyed it.

I also played a few hours of Elden Ring and managed to get to the giant boss on the mountaintop of giants, as well as the boss at Sol Castle (that spawns a couple of guards), so the Portal isn’t hindering my progress in any way.

This thing is perfect for my ridiculous backlog, and I’d imagine FF7R will look pretty awesome on it too.

I completely dismissed this, putting it firmly in the 'something I would never buy' category, but then I started playing FFVII Remake through Remote Play on the Steam Deck and found I surprisingly loved playing it that way - so convenient, just going from the TV to the handheld and back again. Ordered a Portal yesterday because it's so affordable, and while Chiaki works almost flawlessly I was drawn in by the bigger screen (and better, as I have the original Steam Deck not OLED) and the longer battery life. They need to get cloud working on it though (streaming, not FF character) and what's with the no bluetooth nonsense? Hopefully they can come to their senses on that - I am not buying their earbuds.

I completely dismissed this, putting it firmly in the 'something I would never buy' category, but then I started playing FFVII Remake through Remote Play on the Steam Deck and found I surprisingly loved playing it that way - so convenient, just going from the TV to the handheld and back again. Ordered a Portal yesterday because it's so affordable, and while Chiaki works almost flawlessly I was drawn in by the bigger screen (and better, as I have the original Steam Deck not OLED) and the longer battery life. They need to get cloud working on it though (streaming, not FF character) and what's with the no bluetooth nonsense? Hopefully they can come to their senses on that - I am not buying their earbuds.
I cancelled this in the end before delivery - it just works too well on the Steam Deck. I'm considering an upgrade to the Steam Deck OLED instead. I have played more PS5 games on the Steam Deck now than I ever did on the console itself. Finished FFVII Remake entirely on there (plus the DLC) and have now moved on to God of War 2018 before starting Rebirth. Awesome experience. I just couldn't be bothered dealing with the lack of bluetooth - just pick up my AirPods and they connect to the Steam Deck automagically...

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Just snatched one from GameStop (220€) boys, let's see how this thing works 😉

Couple of questions :
- Does it have any juice out of the box or shall I charge it first ?

- What about that problem with HDR ? have they patched it ?

- Is a phone charger ok for this ? Will it fuck up the battery if I use a 45W PD fast charging one ?

Thanks

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
OK, used it for about an hour and :

Well-made device, the screen, for an LCD is also pretty good, my home network is good so I don't have problems with latency etc, the only thing I noticed is, upon setting it up, graphics/stream was blurry for about 1 minute after which it settled in.

Now, for the bad :
- Lack of wi-fi 6 is mind boggling for a late 2023 device, for example , with my tablet, I can go to my living room and still play well with no latency while.with the portal...I lose 1 connection bar and while the stream is still good visually, there's definitely more latency, then again, my tab is a 1000 Eurodollars one while this is a budget device.

- Audio : speakers are shit.and max volume is too low, I kept hearing of how loud this thing but my experience is completely different.
Same thing with wired headphones, volume is WAY too low, tried with some JBL in-ear ones AND with my Hyper X Alphas with the same results.
Took a look online and most reddit posts I saw mention the same thing - hope it gets fixed with a FW update 'cause yeah, this is really bad.

- Had some (audio) crackling noises while sitting on the main PS5 menu, nothing too bad but I got worried for a second.

- Even with 60fps games, it looks like...the screen can't keep up (?) in that the games look like they're running at 45-50fps or something and not 60 something which I didn't notice on my tablet.
Don't know if it's due to the wi-fi 5 but...

Having said all this, it's still the preferable way to play/stream.your PS games hands down, PS5 in rest mode, press the power on button on the portal, BAM, you're good to go, no joypad sync (and then having to resync it back to the PS5 ), no awkward position when trying to game, noy worrying about the tablet's/phone battery, no...
It's plug and play as they come, hope for a couple of FW patches/updates and this thing will get even better.

Cheers

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
New Firmware update but didn't see any change log

Yup, mine updated this morning. ~53 MB update that took like 5-7 minutes to apply. No visible notes on what it did.

You know what that means... Stability!

Cat Balance GIF

Topher

Gold Member
Ended up sending mine back and getting a refund. Being able to stream to my steam deck and not having to buy anything extra to use bluetooth made a bigger difference than I expected.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
After 4 days of owning it :

Yeah, that 59.74Hz/fps stutter is bad - it's like games don't run at 60fps and instead feel like they're going from 60 to 30 and 60fps continuously, this has already been discussed on Reddit a hundred times and one user found that the culprit here is the 59.74Hz video signal that the PS5 sends to the portal (or any other RP clients) that have a 60Hz only screen (again, like the portal).
Games have this...look like they're constantly dropping frames.

This can be replicated on a phone or tablet : if you put the display refresh of your device at 60Hz and initiate RP, games exhibit said problem, put it at above 60Hz (90,120) and - BAM - stutter/frame drops immediately disappear.

I thought I was going mad the 1st day I got my portal since RP has been running FLAWLESSLY on my Tab S9+ which has a 120Hz display.

Here's the thing though : is this thing/problem even patchable on Sony's part or are we fucked ? I hope to God that Soony won't release a hardware upgrade (i.e, better, higher refresh screen) just for this...

I'd take it back just for this (plus, the super-low audio levels with a wired headset/headphones) but, A) I don't know what my excuse for.doing so would be, I can already imagine the usual BS discussion about the whole "it's your internet" thing and I'm tired just by thinking of it and B) I have already ordered a Grip case, screen protectors, a carrying case and thumbgrips from Amazon and Temu respectively...

Man, fuck this shit, for all the nice things Sony does, it can be incredibly inadequate for many others - HOW THE FOOK didn't they catch this thing/problem during QA ? Surely they noticed it ? Even worse, they knew it and STILL decided to release it as is.
If it's fixable, how the fook didn't they release a FW update about it ? It's been 4 months since release FFS !

I don't know what to do, it's a really, REALLY nice and usable pick up and play device but this fooking framerate/stutter thing is doing my head in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom