• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Portal has sold out two days after launch | Listings with inflated prices have started to appear online

PlayStation-Portal.png

The PlayStation Portal, which launched on November 15, has already sold out in the UK and the US.

As noted by Eurogamer, it seems as though scalpers may have hoarded some of the supply as there are already listings for the device (which retails at £199) on Ebay for between £200 t0 £290, with some reaching over £300.

The UK PlayStation Direct store says the PlayStation Portal is "currently unavailable" and to check back for more information on November 22, while the US store suggests early December for an update on when to expect more stock.

Sony unveiled the PlayStation Portal earlier this year, a remote device that enables PlayStation 5 owners to play titles without using a TV screen via Wi-Fi.

In its second quarter report for the financial year, the firm hoped the introduction of the PlayStation Portal may increase hardware sales during the holidays.

skit_data

Interesting to see that this is apparently coveted enough to get scalped. Didn't see that coming.

Wierd that they built it in such a way that it has to go through a router, probably the reason behind the mixed reactions. I saw in the review thread that in order for the experience to be really good some tweaking in router settings etc. might be needed. You can either see that as some sort of confidence in the consumers own ability to solve this or a little bit of stupidity because it's definitely going to impact the word of mouth regarding whether it's worth getting or not.

Sleepwalker

This is what I am just about to do, mad week at work and just so tired but can chill in bed, play for a bit and then straight to sleep. I’m loving mine so far.

Phone etc is totally fine as well. This just feels really nice, haptics, adaptive triggers etc. and for me is very much worth it.
Been sick with covid in bed and the portal has been great for me for the past 2 days. Barely have any energy to do much so having this thing in my night stand to get a quick session in has been great.

Last edited:

Shakka43

So it's not such a pointless device after all...

One advantage the PSPortal has over phones remote play is the screen's aspect ratio. Since most phones are 20:9 there is a lot of unused space and the image ends up a bit too small for console games.

Last edited:

midnightAI

200 dollars to play in the living room 😂
And kitchen, and any bedroom, and dining room, and bathroom, and garden, and friends house, and parents house, and work, and anywhere with good WiFi/internet that you can connect to (and authenticate without web browser for now unless you can connect using phone then hotspot it)

I was lazing around in bed playing Spider Man 2 right before posting this, convenience and comfort

Hohenheim

Well I liked a ton of parts. I just think it needs a patch or two.
Yeah, the positives you mentioned all sounds good, and it's absolutely cool that there's quite a few options in the handheld space now. Something for most scenarios and needs.
Btw, thanks for the audio settings tips you gave on the Legion Go! Had no idea that it could be enhanced like that!

Karak

Yeah, the positives you mentioned all sounds good, and it's absolutely cool that there's quite a few options in the handheld space now. Something for most scenarios and needs.
Btw, thanks for the audio settings tips you gave on the Legion Go! Had no idea that it could be enhanced like that!
You bet. The audio changes really hugely help the Go too. It is a bit sad it isnt more in your face you can do that. But, like with all these devices, a little TLC and patches will probably do them well.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mine was broken when it arrived and I had to get a refund because it was out of stock and they didn't have any to exchange it with. Same day there were 1300+ being scalped on eBay for $300+. Guess I'll wait.

I'm nobody

200 dollars to play in the living room 😂
I've been playing in my camper van in Scotland ps5 is 250 miles away

My biggest mistake was when turning the consle off and not rest mode I almost lost my ability to use it
Lucky my brother is at my house and placed back into rest mode

This device is amazing

If Sony can nail the cloud gaming part of it
This device will be sold out for a while

Sony then needs to make a wireless vr with cloud gaming

Last edited:

midnightAI

I've been playing in my camper van in Scotland ps5 is 250 miles away

My biggest mistake was when turning the consle off and not rest mode I almost lost my ability to use it
Lucky my brother is at my house and placed back into rest mode

This device is amazing

If Sony can nail the cloud gaming part of it
This device will be sold out for a while

Sony then needs to make a wireless vr with cloud gaming
Ooof, much as I love the Portal, latency in VR is horrible, you'll be blowing chunks in no time.

Roni

Gold Member
That scalpers see Sony/PlayStation and pounce on it is one thing. Whether there's enough rich assholes to give them the markup we have yet to see.

wii_u_van.png

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Weird how it keeps going in and out at Best Buy. PS Direct has none. Wonder how many they allocated to Best Buy.
Yeah its odd how BB does that even on other hardware that comes out

BB had it in stock for an hour or so overnight but have known a few people snag one today via BB

I grabbed one earlier today and its not arriving until Wednesday

Zathalus

Popularity in Europe is questionable, it's still in stock everywhere on Playstation direct, with the exception of Portugal. Most brick and mortar retailers are sold out though, but I know for a fact Mediamarkt didn't get that many units.

midnightAI

Popularity in Europe is questionable, it's still in stock everywhere on Playstation direct, with the exception of Portugal. Most brick and mortar retailers are sold out though, but I know for a fact Mediamarkt didn't get that many units.
Out of stock in UK, has been since launch, apparently US direct is out if stock until December (keep checking though if you want one)

Zathalus

Out of stock in UK, has been since launch, apparently US direct is out if stock until December (keep checking though if you want one)

I already own one, just commenting that various EU directs still have stock. Seems more popular in the US/UK/Japan for sure.

Top Bottom