• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE Bombs in UK, #37 in charts in debut week

Sad but expected. Hope Insomniac can absorb this loss without have to fire people, but it seems that one bomb is all it takes nowadays to cripple a studio.

I have seen 0 marketing here in the netherlands..absoluty nothing anywhere. EA Partners shows how not to do marketing. And this was expected,shame that it had to be this way since i loved even if it was a trailer [bmade by Blur[/b]. Overstrike was more charming and had more character then what fuse didn't have to me at least.

Yeah marketing in NL was and will probably be pretty non-existent. I don't think a hugely expensive Blur-trailer will change that though.

I liked their first reveal, it had promise and felt different from the other shooters out there, then they changed it and I just lost interest, the boxart is awful don't know why they greenlighted that, plus being late in the cycle to launch new IPs is risky if you dont get it right, partnering with EA was a very bad idea though, coupled with very little advertisement and that is your result, not surprised but I like IG and hope they learn from this.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't know why you are taking totobeni seriously, the most obvious troll on gaf.

No, I just don't remember reading that their games charted high or did well sale number wise (R3 180k first month in the US for an example) and was just asking a legit question.

GlamFM

Banned
Thinking it deserves better. Certainly a very fun co-op shooter and my two buds and I have been playing through it pretty slowly thus far.

Pretty good graphics, fuse weapons are fun, good boom with weapon sounds... so far it's been pretty solid.

Pretty good & pretty solid isn't good enough anymore.

Hrothgar

Yeah marketing in NL was and will probably be pretty non-existent. I don't think a hugely expensive Blur-trailer will change that though.

Do we even get much advertisement over here for any games other than the big blockbusters (WoW/CoD/BF/AC)? I rarely notice game ads on TV.

fiyah

I think people generally hate R2 because Insomniac took everything people loved about the original, threw it out the window and Call of Duty-fied it. I mean out of any multiplayer game Resistance got the most time logged from me and I couldn't even stand to play R2 online. I thought the pacing of the story was bad as well and I hated the move away from the WW2 styled color palate. If any game felt right with the gray palate it was the Resistance franchise because it made me feel like I was back in that error.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
No, developers know what they are getting into with EAP, there is no marketing assistance from EA within the programme, it's just royalty payments for use of their publishing label and distribution network for physical releases. If IG were stupid enough to think EA would bail them out with marketing dollars then that's their fault.

Lots of inaccuracies here. EA Partners is largely what you make of it and how you negotiate your deal with them. That probably varies a lot from deal to deal and game to game (see Valve's distribution with them vs. something like us which is more full on publishing of our game etc).

Rashid

Banned
Well it must've expected, surely? British GAFfer here, the only thing that matters here is the annual CoD and FIFA, lots of Battlefield fans too. Only games that get a marketing push get many sales here, stuff like Far Cry 3 and Skyrim, but not many other games get talked about. You see far more Samsung and Apple ads on TV nowadays.

Do we even get much advertisement over here for any games other than the big blockbusters (WoW/CoD/BF/AC)? I rarely notice game ads on TV.

No, you're right. Maybe on the music channels and Comedy Central (youth centric) at the most on TV. Oh and during Champions League of course (Sony).

Nokterian

There are big ads on tv,i have seen them. Well i have seen Crysis 3 and also CoD/WoW/BF/AC. Mostly on Veronica or Comedy Central are game commericals or MTV since gamekings is there. But not on my channels on the dutch tv.

Lots of inaccuracies here. EA Partners is largely what you make of it and how you negotiate your deal with them. That probably varies a lot from deal to deal and game to game (see Valve's distribution with them vs. something like us which is more full on publishing of our game etc).

Regardless, this EA Partners venture is a total failure for you guys, so where do you go from here? The IP, even if you own it, is pretty useless to you now.

It really is an incredibly well made FPS.

R1 had an amazing SP, and R2 had bad SP but amazing MP and Co-op, and R3 had really good SP and MP. R3 is definitely the most well balanced of the Resistance games, really sad that the franchise has to end like that. I would love to see what they could have done with nextgen hardware.

Then why did you allow EA to market and promote the game so poorly? The only successful games from EAP have been Valve ones and they took charge of everything bar distribution and production.

antitrop

Then why did you allow EA to market and promote the game so poorly? The only successful games from EAP have been Valve ones and they took charge of everything bar distribution and production.
I don't think that's how it works.

You're suggesting Insomniac should have taken the marketing into their own hands? That seems so risky and silly. I don't think dumping their own money into marketing was the solution to the problem.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think people can wholly blame EA, it's extremely bland in presentation, and has a metacritic of 67, are there any games aimed at the core which are that poorly received and successful?

You're suggesting Insomniac should have taken the marketing into their own hands? That seems so risky and silly. I don't think dumping their own money into marketing was the solution to the problem.

I would think any marketing would have been better then no marketing at all.

R1 had an amazing SP, and R2 had bad SP but amazing MP and Co-op, and R3 had really good SP and MP. R3 is definitely the most well balanced of the Resistance games, really sad that the franchise has to end like that. I would love to see what they could have done with nextgen hardware.
I even loved the campaign in R2, but that might be because I played R2 before Fall of Man. It seems like most of the hate for R2's campaign comes from fans of the original who were upset with some of the changes.

But yeah, a new Resistance on PS4/XBO could have been incredible. I agree with you on R3's MP as well, it was a lot of fun and didn't get half the attention it deserved.

We all saw this coming but it still hurts. I only know one friend who has this game and the rest don't even know it exists.

It's a huge shame too as this game gets better every time I play it. The demo was lukewarm but the full game is great.

Whoever was in charge of marketing, either EA or Insomniac, i gotta admit they were pretty smart. Better save $10-15 million, than spend them on this turd for a few thousand more sold units.

antitrop

I would think any marketing would have been better then no marketing at all.
I disagree, I think it would have been a complete waste of money. I don't believe the increased sales would have made up the money to further advertise the game.

In hindsight, I think EA gave the game as much attention as it deserved and they did the right thing to ignore it.

If Insomniac had taken the marketing budget completely out of their own pockets I can't imagine that going well for them.

Patryn

Given that EA has a proven track record of doing little to no advertising for EAP games, instead just releasing them to little fanfare and letting them die on the shelf, I think Insomniac would have been foolish to leave advertising to EA.

antitrop

Given that EA has a proven track record of doing little to no advertising for EAP games, instead just releasing them to little fanfare and letting them die on the shelf, I think Insomniac would have been foolish to leave advertising to EA.
With a better game than Fuse, maybe.

Alice and other EAP games deserved better, Fuse got what it deserved.

Well James Stevenson is suggesting that EAP doesn't work in the way I'm suggesting, which is deals done with different independent developers with the minimum base support being distribution and publishing and then depending on how bad EA want you then they can give you stuff like marketing and promotional help. If he is saying that's wrong (which I'm sceptical about, sorry James), and EAP are responsible for everything except where the developer opts out then IG needed to ensure that EA marketed the game properly which they haven't.

As for IG doing the marketing themselves, yes I agree, the product was not marketable, and it would have been good money after bad. That's why I think it didn't get any marketing, IG management probably didn't feel it was worth wasting funds on. Better to just let it die and regroup rather than wasting more money.

antitrop

Well James Stevenson is suggesting that EAP doesn't work in the way I'm suggesting, which is deals done with different independent developers with the minimum base support being distribution and publishing and then depending on how bad EA want you then they can give you stuff like marketing and promotional help. If he is saying that's wrong (which I'm sceptical about, sorry James), and EAP are responsible for everything except where the developer opts out then IG needed to ensure that EA marketed the game properly which they haven't.

As for IG doing the marketing themselves, yes I agree, the product was not marketable, and it would have been good money after bad. That's why I think it didn't get any marketing, IG management probably didn't feel it was worth wasting funds on. Better to just let it die and regroup rather than wasting more money.
Ya, I completely agree with your second paragraph. That was the point I was trying to make.

I don't think Insomniac had much direct control over what EA did or did not do with the marketing, but I'm certainly not coming from a position of knowledge or anything, just my uninformed gamer opinion. :p

I disagree, I think it would have been a complete waste of money. I don't believe the increased sales would have made up the money to further advertise the game.

In hindsight, I think EA gave the game as much attention as it deserved and they did the right thing to ignore it.

If Insomniac had taken the marketing budget out of their own pockets I can't imagine that going well for them.

If IG really wants to make this a franchise then they needed to take a loss on it to try to build up the brand. They already had a bunch of factors against them, like releasing a new IP so late late in a gen, they had to get as many people as possible to play it and hope that word of mouth was good and got the brand awareness up so that when they put the next game out it could do well. A new IP was not going to sell well now unless it is super well reviewed and crazy hyped, and even then it is still a big risk. I think once they decided to release now they should have been willing to throw some marketing money at it.

StuBurns

Banned
With a better game than Fuse, maybe.

Alice and other EAP games deserved better, Fuse got what it deserved.
Yeah, Alice 2 is a fantastic game, in a genre that is seriously underrepresented on the HD twins, especially 360.

SotD is a hard sell, it's six hours long, there is no reason to ever play it more than once, and it's very bizarre, that was always going to be a very small audience, but Alice 2 should have been bigger.

RotBot

Did the late title change hurt this game? I remember buzz about Overstrike from E3, but when I saw a game called "Fuse" come out with little fanfare, I thought it was a racing game.

WolvenOne

Huge shame, I really like Insomniac, and while I expected the game to do poorly due to the focus-testing induced blandness of the title, I was hoping that it'd at least break even, ish.

antitrop

Did the late title change hurt this game? I remember buzz about Overstrike from E3, but when I saw a game called "Fuse" come out with little fanfare, I thought it was a racing game.
That's a hard factor to quantify. I would say that most people would agree that it did, although to what degree will probably vary greatly.

I'm sure some people think the rebranding is almost single-handedly responsible for killing interest in the game and some probably think it was rather inconsequential.

I'm somewhere in the middle, I don't think it's the entire reason the game flopped, but it is certainly a large part of it. I think if Fuse was a better game, then the "OverStrike Factor" would have been almost completely forgotten about after release.

The fact that we're talking about OverStrike AFTER Fuse has been released means that the rebranding was a complete failure.

Gamers wanted OverStrike, but would have accepted a good Fuse. Instead we got a mediocre Fuse, so we still want OverStrike.

kenjisalk

There is NO WAY a shift in art direction midway through development and a name change would've had any real impact on the quality of the game.

If the mechanics of the game or the characters/story were solid, we'd feel way differently, but odds are those things were set in stone earlier on in the dev process.

I think people are spending too much time wringing their hands about what could've been, trying to blame EA rather than holding Insomniac more accountable for how lackluster this turned out to be.

antitrop

There is NO WAY a shift in art direction midway through development and a name change would've had any real impact on the quality of the game.

If the mechanics of the game or the characters/story were solid, we'd feel way differently, but odds are those things were set in stone earlier on in the dev process.

I think people are spending too much time wringing their hands about what could've been, trying to blame EA rather than holding Insomniac more accountable for how lackluster this turned out to be.

I understand, though, it's hard to admit that Insomniac fucked up.

I grew up playing Spyro on PS1 and Ratchet on PS2. Coming from the position of a long-time fan, it's easier to just blame EA than accept the reality that it's both of their faults and the quality of the final product lies with Insomniac.

Dark Rider

well Insomniac this is EA for you, especially the lack of ads
and focus testing to hell and back is doing it too much it ruins the game.

Rad-

I didn't play R3 but R1 and R2 were god damn mediocre FPSs. I still don't get how they got that high metacritic ratings.

Zukuu

Banned
That happens when you throw out yet another bland and generic shooter, in an already over saturated genre.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Fuse isn't a medicore game though. It suffers from an identity crisis more than anything and feels like a mish mash but the core gameplay is really rather good IMO. It's also a proper coop game in that the weapons that each player has compliments each other too and can work together for added effect.

Hopefully, due to this, Insomniac Games will go back to making interesting games like they used to. Making story driven single player games is what they are good at. This love for online focused games from them since All 4 One is making me cringe. I liked playing the Resistance games online, but what I also loved about those games was that they had a complete immersive single player experience. When it comes to Ratchet, I don't understand why they are so focused on making them online. Ratchet shines when it's a single player experience, but underwhelms as an online experience. They were doing so well with Ratchet too. A Crack in Time turned out to be the best Ratchet game I've played, and I long for another Ratchet game that is similar to it. I really hope the PS4 Ratchet drops the online, and sticks to being a hilarious and fun single player game. That's probably not going to happen, but a guy can dream.... I hope that the next game Insomniac Games puts out returns them to their former glory. It will be nice to get excited about an epic game from them again.

amen...

i've experienced as much pure fun playing the ratchet & clank games as i have any other. the series has become my #1 source for 'what to replay while i wait for something new' gaming, & the graphic designs, frantic gameplay, & humor are, for me, unique & unsurpassed by any other developer. when insomniac's been on, they've nailed what, imo, gaming bliss's really all about. & i wouldn't wanna consider a 'future of gaming' that didn't include them...

Top Bottom