• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kiefer Sutherland is the new Snake

Falcs

Banned
Hey, while we're at it, why don't we recast everybody!?

Kiefer Sutherland can't act against Christopher Randolph because he's wacky and his voice sound weird. I'm sure Justin Long is looking for work. Now we have a new Huey!

And hey, Quinton Flynn's Batman voice is silly. Let's fire him. Maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt will make a good Raiden!

What's that, Paul Eiding's getting a little old? That's okay, we can have James Gandolfini voice Colonel Campbell instead!

Because as we all know, famous actors are automatically better than not-famous ones.

Can we instead have Tom Cruise as Otacon?

Alienous

Kiefer Sutherland can't act against Christopher Randolph because he's wacky and his voice sound weird. I'm sure Justin Long is looking for work. Now we have a new Huey!

And hey, Quinton Flynn's Batman voice is silly. Let's fire him. Maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt will make a good Raiden!

What's that, Paul Eiding's getting a little old? That's okay, we can have James Gandolfini voice Colonel Campbell instead!

Because as we all know, famous actors are automatically better than not-famous ones.

Nope.

But I can see the natural weight of voice of Sutherland working for the character of Big Boss. David Hayter played Solid Snake pitch perfectly, as the grizzled spec-ops agent. Big Boss is a far more dynamic character, however, who might be better served by a more subtle performance. I really didn't see any nuance between Hayter's portrayal of Solid Snake, and his portrayal of Big Boss, so hopefully this will provide that difference.

cryptic

I still think Hayter's voice in mgs4 was fine. I thought he sounded more constipated as if he was taking a bigger shit as he was in a bigger shit so it set the tone.

Loofy

I liked Hayter but I understand why they went with someone new.
NSd50bS.jpg

Ein Bear

Then they should've cast Richard Doyle. They picked Sutherland because he's a marketable name.

This.

The thing that rubs me up about the whole thing isn't that they replaced Hayter for any artistic/stylistic reason. It's that they pretty clearly just dumped him so they could hire a famous person instead.

Dvide

Banned
I hadn't seen Hayter's April Twitlonger post before a few minutes ago, but it seems to fill in a lot of blanks. I mean, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he wouldn't include some of those emotional bits in an elaborate Kojima troll. That would be kind of shitty to play on peoples' actual real non-game emotions Re: his situation, and I have no reason to think he's shitty like that. Say what you will about his performances in the last few games at least (I probably won't disagree), but he really did help shape the character significantly and memorably. I kind of can't blame him for whatever way he's handling it.

All that being said, I'm still super excited for the game. But this does add another dimension to it.

That tweet was posted on april 1st. Where's my tin foil hat?

Dunk#7

I was looking for information on Keifer and stumbled across this:

8yqVeMYl.jpg

Wasn't Ishmael the bandaged guy? Is this an error on the part of IMDB or does this leak anything?

8yqVeMY.png

Wasn't Ishmael the bandaged guy? Is this an error on the part of IMDB or does this leak anything?

Bandaged guy is CLEARLY voiced buy him, he is both for reasons which will probably come clear in the game.

*image*

IMDb is maintained by users, and not moderated very well. It's not official, and often isn't official even after the games come out. Movies are a little different because most actors' agents watch their clients' IMDb pages like hawks, but when it comes to video games, their cast listings are almost always wrong.

So don't count on this as the gospel. Ishmael may well be voiced by Keef, but that IMDb page isn't confirmation of anything.

You are WAY too emotional about this. You might have forgotten, but this IS a video game, so why get so pissed? I have been with Metal Gear since the first game (Not MGS1) and I'm still going to play it regardless of voice actor. Who cares? I play for the story and not to get off on Hayter's voice.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Didn't I read something earlier about the Japanese VA being the same one who voices Solid Snake/Big Boss in past games? Kinda telling there, no?

Mikey 2x4

pick up your hentai tomorrow
I'm way late on this, but having been a big fan of the series for a very long time, I don't mind. Yeah they should have gone with Richard Doyle to stay with what they've already set up, but maybe Doyle is like 60-something Naked Snake and not 40-something Naked Snake.

I personally wasn't a fan of Hayter's old Snake at all in MGS4, so I'm glad they're keeping him from having to age up his voice.

You are WAY too emotional about this. You might have forgotten, but this IS a video game, so why get so pissed? I have been with Metal Gear since the first game (Not MGS1) and I'm still going to play it regardless of voice actor. Who cares? I play for the story and not to get off on Hayter's voice.

Like I said before, I've been losing interest in the series over time due to Kojima's insistence on prequel after prequel and retcon after retcon. The decision to go open world damaged my interest even more, since open world and good quest design are polar opposites.

Kojima's treatment of Hayter, though shockingly unprofessional and disrespectful, wouldn't have been enough to kill the game for me if I hadn't already been on the fence beforehand. Now it's the final straw though.

Am I emotional? Yes. But when you've spent an entire generation watching every franchise you care about get torn to shreds by greedy publishers or developers, you tend to get that way, especially when one of the last franchises you were invested in goes astray.

Like I said before, I've been losing interest in the series over time due to Kojima's insistence on prequel after prequel and retcon after retcon. The decision to go open world damaged my interest even more, since open world and good quest design are polar opposites.

Kojima's treatment of Hayter, though shockingly unprofessional and disrespectful, wouldn't have been enough to kill the game for me if I hadn't already been on the fence beforehand. Now it's the final straw though.

Am I emotional? Yes. But when you've spent an entire generation watching every franchise you care about get torn to shreds by greedy publishers or developers, you tend to get that way, especially when one of the last franchises you were invested in goes astray.

I won't say you're wrong about seeing a franchise you love dearly shred apart by greed, because you and I can agree on that, but I don't see how people can honestly claim that they won't support a game just because a voice actor changes. Maybe it makes no sense to me, but I am still giving this a shot.

Personally, I hope Kojima finally ends Metal Gear. I really do. I love it to death, but it needs to end so he can do something else. I hope he ends Metal Gear with remakes of the first two. I wouldn't mind a remake of MGS1 in the future ;-) After that, it should end.

I wonder if he'll be Kerfuffle Snake's voice as well.

Is that what we're calling Smash 4? I'm fairly certain Snake won't be back for SSB4, but if he is, it'll probably still be Solid Snake and thus most likely Hayter, unless Kojima has decided he really hates the guy.

Which is entirely possible, all things considered.

I'm sorry, I can't see Sutherland's voice working with Kojima's offbeat style of humor. And if Kojima is making MGS5 grim and serious, then that's all the more reason not to play it.

Like I said before, I'm just glad Kojima saved me $60. I already can tell this game won't work for me, and Hayter being ditched like a wet sock was the final straw.

I don't either, you see. Maybe the trailer will make the difference? It should be fine, right?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
A mediocre drunk voicing Big Boss. Meh. The series has been garbage since the release of MGS3. Shitty games require shitty VOs.

The perfect excuse to get rid of my Metal Gear collection.

Alienous

Jesus Christ. This is getting too dramatic.

I think I'm going to take a hiatus. The MGS franchise has gone astray? Hayter not being automatically hired being unprofessional?

Sean

Banned
I'm sorry, I can't see Sutherland's voice working with Kojima's offbeat style of humor. And if Kojima is making MGS5 grim and serious, then that's all the more reason not to play it.

Why not? Kiefer isn't some super serious guy, he constantly pokes fun at himself and likes to have fun. Here's an example of him goofing off on 24 set:

487430_545645958821217_865063623_n.jpg
941858_545628792156267_1198164425_n.jpg

And some of his drunken escapades / partying:

iKTXY3E.gif
kiefer-sutherland-drunk.jpg

Kiefer would have no issues with delivering offbeat Kojima dialogue.

I won't say you're wrong about seeing a franchise you love dearly shred apart by greed, because you and I can agree on that, but I don't see how people can honestly claim that they won't support a game just because a voice actor changes. Maybe it makes no sense to me, but I am still giving this a shot.

Personally, I hope Kojima finally ends Metal Gear. I really do. I love it to death, but it needs to end so he can do something else. I hope he ends Metal Gear with remakes of the first two. I wouldn't mind a remake of MGS1 in the future ;-) After that, it should end.

I would love to see Kojima do something else. I honestly felt fully sated when I was done with MGS4. The series could've ended there and I would've been perfectly happy. Peace Walker was okay since it filled in the one plot gap we still hadn't explored.

Meanwhile, MGS5 just feels extraneous. We didn't need another "Big Boss before he's evil" story, especially considering the way Peace Walker ended.

I would've also been okay with Kojima rebooting the series and starting from scratch with a new hero and a new storyline, but I agree. I would've vastly preferred something truly new out of Kojima instead of this clear attempt at appealing to Western gamers with a big-name actor in the lead role and open world gameplay as a bullet point for the back of the box.

Jesus Christ. This is getting too dramatic.

I think I'm going to take a hiatus. The MGS franchise has gone astray? Hayter not being automatically hired being unprofessional?

What was unprofessional was dumping the guy without even a word of thanks or acknowledgement. And I personally think taking a series known for incredibly tightly designed gameplay and turning it into an open world is an example of a franchise going astray.

Disagree with me if you want, that's fine. But that's how I feel.

This.

The thing that rubs me up about the whole thing isn't that they replaced Hayter for any artistic/stylistic reason. It's that they pretty clearly just dumped him so they could hire a famous person instead.

No, doesn't really seem like it. They obviously needed someone who could deliver the whole package due to the mocap deal. Sutherland also seems really understanding and respectful of the whole thing too. While Hayter acts like a child on social media.

NeoUltima

Avi Arad wasn't in that video by coincidence. If he was involved in casting Sutherland for MGSV, you can bet Sutherland is the front runner for the MGS movie. That is the reason why he is in the game. Not because Kojima thought Hayter was shit. It's either an elaborate audition or a strive for consistency. Assuming the movie doesn't get canned of course.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I would love to see Kojima do something else. I honestly felt fully sated when I was done with MGS4. The series could've ended there and I would've been perfectly happy. Peace Walker was okay since it filled in the one plot gap we still hadn't explored.

Meanwhile, MGS5 just feels extraneous. We didn't need another "Big Boss before he's evil" story, especially considering the way Peace Walker ended.

I would've also been okay with Kojima rebooting the series and starting from scratch with a new hero and a new storyline, but I agree. I would've vastly preferred something truly new out of Kojima instead of this clear attempt at appealing to Western gamers with a big-name actor in the lead role and open world gameplay as a bullet point for the back of the box.

What was unprofessional was dumping the guy without even a word of thanks or acknowledgement. And I personally think taking a series known for incredibly tightly designed gameplay and turning it into an open world is an example of a franchise going astray.

Disagree with me if you want, that's fine. But that's how I feel.

Gone astray? It's almost been a decade since MGS3 was released and the morons ate it up. Hell they still think it's good. What's different now? Nanomachines and Patriots?

This franchise is dead to me. Period.

Fuck you Kojima you talentless hack.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
No, doesn't really seem like it. They obviously needed someone who could deliver the whole package due to the mocap deal. Sutherland also seems really understanding and respectful of the whole thing too. While Hayter acts like a child on social media.

So using a drunk is best? Lol Gaf.

Falcs

Banned
Sutherland has no reason to act any way other than greatful and respectful. Hayter on the other hand has every reason to act bitter. Getting back stabbed like he did can't have felt nice.

Avi Arad wasn't in that video by coincidence. If he was involved in casting Sutherland for MGSV, you can bet Sutherland is the front runner for the MGS movie. That is the reason why he is in the game. Not because Kojima thought Hayter was shit. It's either an elaborate audition or a strive for consistency. Assuming the movie doesn't get canned of course.

Kojima has said that he wants someone unknown to play Snake in the movie. He said it long after Kiefer was cast, too.

Well no shit. Sutherland got the role, Hayter didn't.

Top Bottom