• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

dkeane

marc^o^ said:
Nintendo's comeback in the videogame industry is simply stunning. What other brands in other sectors managed to turn the tables like that?
Apple? It is amazing to see the 180 they've done in sales and perception.

Tumalu said:
I thought it was shuukan. (しゅうかん?)

Right.
I though the word would look prettier if i add an "o" instead of 2 "u"s right after the other. :p

So, let´s celebrate the Kintendo Shuukan!

justchris

nli10 said:
It doesn't count as a full title - it's a budget title and always has been. We also have £1 ($2) Super-Budget titles in the top 40 - for scale that is the price of a 500ml bottle of coke. My bus to work costs more.

Games are games, sales are sales. The Buzz/Singstar point was that you can pack the game box full of microphones, buzzers, generic controllers, stickers, pokemon cards, gold bullion, GAF Fanboys - ANYTHING, but there is still a game in there and as this is a games chart based on people buying games it still counts.

Discounting Wii Sports sales in Japan i'd missed though - good catch fact fans. :)

I'm pretty sure a game packaged with GAF fanboys would bomb badly, even in Japan where they like crazy things.

God, with the way DS hardware and software is selling these days (all across the world), you have to wonder whether devs will really start ignoring consoles and just focussing on DS and therefore making more profits than they would on any console.

OriGiN

Banned
About Golden Week.

Japanese don't really buy that hugely during Golden Week, it is common for people to buy up HUGE before Golden week in preparation for the week after, however it's common that during the upcoming weekend (thursday, friday, saturday, sunday) the main portion of golden week for this year that the streets of tokyo might seem like a ghost town (compared to normal).

This week's sales will be the biggest effected by Golden Week.

Rocksteady33

studio810 said:
Apple? It is amazing to see the 180 they've done in sales and perception.

While I understand that Apple is doing remarkably well recently, to me I don't see a reason to celebrate when your companies best selling product isn't even what the company is known for. Their computers have always been pretty status quo on sales, and their MP3 sales are far and beyond any other competitor, but what happens when a new form of music medium hits the mainstream and Apple doesn't capitalize on it? They could be in for some trouble.

Evlar

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Nintendo's comeback in the videogame industry is simply stunning. What other brands in other sectors managed to turn the tables like that?
Apple's story has some similar elements, but not so dramatic as this (and Apple hasn't managed to change the BIG picture, MS's domination of OS installed base).

Rocksteady33 said:
While I understand that Apple is doing remarkably well recently, to me I don't see a reason to celebrate when your companies best selling product isn't even what the company is known for. Their computers have always been pretty status quo on sales, and their MP3 sales are far and beyond any other competitor, but what happens when a new form of music medium hits the mainstream and Apple doesn't capitalize on it? They could be in for some trouble.
I'm sure Apple's going to keep very aware of the market and change with it as they need to. I don't think they're quite as slow to accept new futures of the market the way the previous king of portable audio was.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Sphinx said:
Apple's story has some similar elements, but not so dramatic as this (and Apple hasn't managed to change the BIG picture, MS's domination of OS installed base).

hahaha. If Apple cared about Microsoft's domination of the OS install base, wouldn't they... you know... try to sell their OS on non-Apple manufactured hardware? Not encourage people to install Windows on Apple hardware?

Apple has a vertically integrated business strategy. They make money on the hardware, they sell you the OS, they sell you the software, they make money on iTunes, they make money on the iPod. Every step of the way they make money.

Yes, they want you to use Mac OS X. But more importantly, they want you to buy a Mac so that you can use it. They're already experiencing upper-double-digit growth in market share year over year, especially in the laptop market.

If anything, I'd say MS is more pissed that Apple has a fully vertically integrated operation while MS is stuck dealing with increasingly demanding OEMs. Look for example at the multi-OEM revolt against Vista packins, or Dell's slowly growing Linux offerings.

It's also extremely telling that you think Apple thinks its main product is the Mac. Just last year they changed their name from Apple Computers Inc. to Apple Inc. A small move like that is a pretty big shift in corporate focus.

Rocksteady33 said:
Their computers have always been pretty status quo on sales,

Yep, 36% growth (more than triple the industry average) year over year is status quo.

Apple's whole corporate philosophy these days is that they will define what becomes popular. You can't fall behind the curve when you are the curve. That's no guarantee Apple won't go to shit like it was in the mid-90s, but at the time being they face no real competition in terms of PR and the direction they're taking the company.

Look at the iPhone; while it's not a mass-market product, it's already displacing smartphones like the Treo in mindshare. People who would never ever have bought a Treo or Blackberry are considering the iPhone. The trick will be getting acceptance in the business community, which is an area that Blackberry dominates and Apple has historically done very poorly.

Rocksteady33

Stumpokapow said:
Yep, 36% growth (more than triple the industry average) year over year is status quo.

I'll admit I don't follow computers. But I still feel it's a bad business strategy to have an MP3 player be what your company is known for when you've been in the computer business for 20+ years.

ethelred

I'll admit I don't follow these newfangled games things. But I still feel it's a bad business strategy to have a "game console" be what your company is known for when you've been in the trading card business for 20+ years.

apotema

What is Wii doing in the DS chart???

Wow, just wow........ the problem is that we are only seeing the Top 10... maybe the top 20 is for Nintendo

D.Lo

Durante said:
While the rest of your rant is entertaining and enlightening from a psychological perspective (I'm still amazed at how much some people are invested in corporations - newsflash: they don't care about you, so you shouldn't care about them), I really have to step in here. Many people - Nintendo fans in particular - seem to still be unable to realize what is, and will be, happening this generation: it is simply not possible to develop a traditional (PS2/XBX/GC era) multiplatform game for Wii, 360 and PS3.

The technological features and control options are so vastly different between the Wii and the other 2 contenders (you can also throw PCs in that mix) that you just won't see the same game on them. Maybe in some cases there will be games developed under a single name, but they will still be entirely different projects. Multiplatform next-gen games will mean PS360PC. Wii will get (lots of, it currently looks like) Wii games. So personally, I don't see how you can predict the words "Superior Version" being bandied around in this context. (Aside from the fact that, if there were such beasts, they indeed would invariably be superior on PS360 - unlike last gen, the power differential is not just significant but staggering)

All of this also means that Wii most likely won't take up a PS2-like position - even if it comes close to selling as much - or, hey, more! It won't be the lead platform for multiplatform games like PS2 was, because there won't be multiplatform Wii games.
Disagree.

Exhibit A: Call of Duty 3 - identical levels, scenarios etc, just reduced assets and different control methods. PC games have to scale models, effects and textures across vastly different hardware levels, so they can easily do it with consoles. Bang out a few more player models, cut out some particles...

Exhibit B: N64/PS1 multi platformers. Another generation with vastly different hardware features, yet multi-platform games still came out. EAD and Rare's good N64 games were so far beyond anything the PS1 ever saw (eg compare 1080 to coolborders), yet there were still multi-platform games. Rayman 2 came out on PS1 with the levels cut in half, the textures dropped in quality and the models cut down. But most multi-platformers were PS1 games dumped on N64 without CD audio.

If things keep going the way they are, I think 3rd party PS360 games will end up like the PS1 games that were ported to Dreamcast. Higher resolution, cleaner textures, but the same game.

Koren

DefectiveReject said:
no Wii is very cheap in Japan as it has no pack in game!
The ratio european Wii price / japanese Wii price is the same as the ratio european PS3 price / japanese PS3 price (60GB), so it's not really cheap because of the lack of pack-in game, but rather simply because japanese prices are lower (this also works with US vs japanese prices)

Or if you want to see it the other way, we mostly got Wii sports for free.

Rocksteady33 said:
I'll admit I don't follow computers. But I still feel it's a bad business strategy to have an MP3 player be what your company is known for when you've been in the computer business for 20+ years.

Nintendo was in the card business for a while

creamsugar said:
1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
2. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
3. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS)
4. Wii Sports (Wii)
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
6. Gyakuten Saiban 4 (DS)
7. One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
9. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

hey what's sony doing in the nintendo top te.....oh wait...

Hyllian

yinw6.png

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Would be quite the sight if this trend was to keep going through the Wii/DS lifecycle. Switching and swapping like the Hammer Bros.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Xavien said:
Its really the same in Greek Mythology, except a little bit different:

Creation:"The gods appeared... and they bred with themselves!"

I mean that's essentially Greek Mythology creationism in a nutshell. First there was Khaos, then Khaos gave birth to Uranus and Gaia they gave birth to kids, the kids had sex with their parents and gave birth to MORE kids, etc etc.

Eventually they gave Birth to Zeus and the Olympians.

Just want to make a quick correction. Chaos gave birth to Erebus and Nyx, who then gave birth to Gaia, and she created Uranus. One big happy inbred family. :p

About Apple being known for iPod not being a great thing because they are in the computer business:

I started out with an iPod Video. Liked the set up, received a Macbook as a gift. Got used to the OS, bought an iMac with scholarship money. I would have never purchased a Mac had I never gotten an iPod. I'm pretty sure that I am Apple's ideal customer; start out small, and move on to bigger products. So, I'm not so sure that being famous for the iPod is a bad thing.

spwolf should just stay away from sales threads.

whenever i see him post in one i hold my breath waiting for the backlash.

i never have to hold it long.

he tried to argue that wii software isn't selling in japan? he used wii play being bundled with a controller as an excuse in a week where 4 wii titles sold better than wii play?

Jammy

Banned
Why are peoplel saying "real gamers am cry" when they see these charts?

What's so bad about Super Paper Mario, Panel de Pon DS, Mario vs. DK 2, Wii Sports, and One Piece in a top ten? I don't think any of those can be considered non-games and a couple of them are very heralded by GAF.

nli10

FlightOfHeaven said:
About Apple being known for iPod not being a great thing because they are in the computer business:

I started out with an iPod Video. Liked the set up, received a Macbook as a gift. Got used to the OS, bought an iMac with scholarship money. I would have never purchased a Mac had I never gotten an iPod. I'm pretty sure that I am Apple's ideal customer; start out small, and move on to bigger products. So, I'm not so sure that being famous for the iPod is a bad thing.

Not even remotely - in marketing and business this is referred to as the Halo Effect. :)

This is a good point as the positive DS traits are sure to make people think more favourably about buying a Wii. If they can find one. :D

Haunted

Jammy said:
Why are peoplel saying "real gamers am cry" when they see these charts?

What's so bad about Super Paper Mario, Panel de Pon DS, Mario vs. DK 2, Wii Sports, and One Piece in a top ten? I don't think any of those can be considered non-games and a couple of them are very heralded by GAF.
It's not 'people' saying that - it was just one troll.

Nintendomination is amazing, but I get the feeling that a Sony game will enter the Media-Create Top 10
more like 20 lol
. (The one posted is Famitsu).

Draft

Anyone who still thinks Sony can do anything to knock Nintendo of their Japanese pedestal needs to put their head in an oven. It'll be easier for everyone that way.

Sales domination is borderline hilarious. 90% of third party JPN development is going to move to the Wii. Every major game company probably has teams of salarymen feverishly downgrading textures and hacking out extraneous geometry to get their X360/PS3 games onto the Rocket Cube. The next-gen dream is over. Time to accept it, move on, and hawk your HDTV before the rest of the world catches on.

neo2046

Because no MC data yet
does anyone want some Dengeki TOP 50 numbers?
http://www.dengekionline.com/soft/ranking.html
Dengeki Sales numbers 4/23 - 4/29

01. NDS Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings [NEW]
02. NDS Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan [NEW]
03. Wii Super Paper Mario
04. Wii Wii Sports
05. Wii Wii Play
06. Wii Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree [NEW]
07. NDS Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
08. NDS Panel de Pon DS [NEW]
09. Wii One Piece Unlimited Adventure [NEW]
10. NDS Gyakuten Saiban 4

11. NDS Yoshi Island DS
12. NDS Whatever Pachiko game [NEW]
13. PSP Final Fantasy 1
14. NDS More English Training
15. NDS More Brain Training
16. NDS NEW SMB
17. PSP Monster Hunter P2
18. PS2 Fate/stay night [Realta Nua]
19. PS2 Negima [NEW]
20. NDS Mario Kart DS

21. NDS Layton
22. PS2 Persona 3 FES
23. NDS Brain Training
24. NDS Animal Crossing WW
25. PS2 Musou Orochi
26. 360 Rainbow Six Vegas [NEW]
27. PS2 whatever Baseball 4
28. NDS Odame
29. NDS Namco's word puzzle game
30. NDS Common Knowledge Taining

31. NDS English Training
32. NDS DQ Monster Joker
33. PSP Gundam SEED VS
34. NDS whatever word training
35. PSP Elvandia Story [NEW]
36. PSP Pawafuru Baseball Portable 2
37. 360 Test Drive Unlimited [NEW]
38. NDS Pokemon Diamond
39. PS2 Naruto
40. NDS whatever word training

41. PS2 Kingdom Hearts 2 FM+
42. PS2 神曲奏界ポリフォニカ [NEW]
43. NDS Pokemon Pearl
44. NDS Gyakuten Saiban 1 [BEST]
45. NDS Cryon Shin Chan DS
46. NDS Tamagotchi
47. Wii Made in Wario
48. NDS Simcity DS
49. NDS Majo Love and Berry
50. NDS Tetris DS

01. NDS Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
02. NDS Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan
04. Wii Wii Sports
05. Wii Wii Play
06. Wii Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
08. NDS Panel de Pon DS
09. Wii One Piece Unlimited Adventure

11. NDS Yoshi Island DS
12. NDS Whatever Pachiko game
13. PSP Final Fantasy 1
16. NDS NEW SMB

SO CLOSE TO NINTENDO TOP 15! :lol

Alcibiades

wait, why don't we get Denkegi Top 50 every week?

Are they inferior numbers to Famitsu/Media Create in terms of reliability?

creamsugar said:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/05/02/103,1178081479,71171,0,0.html

Nintendo's 4/23 ~ 4/29 :lol

1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
2. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
3. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS)
4. Wii Sports (Wii)
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
6. Gyakuten Saiban 4 (DS)
7. One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
9. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

For the third time, 100% Nintendo Domination. 5 Nintendo DS and 5 Wii. Perfect equilibrium.

neo2046 said:
Because no MC data yet
does anyone want some Dengeki TOP 50 numbers?
http://www.dengekionline.com/soft/ranking.html
Dengeki Sales numbers 4/23 - 4/29

01. NDS Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings [NEW]
02. NDS Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan [NEW]
04. Wii Wii Sports
05. Wii Wii Play
06. Wii Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree [NEW]
08. NDS Panel de Pon DS [NEW]
09. Wii One Piece Unlimited Adventure [NEW]

11. NDS Yoshi Island DS
12. NDS Whatever Pachiko game [NEW]
13. PSP Final Fantasy 1
16. NDS NEW SMB
17. PSP Monster Hunter P2
18. PS2 Fate/stay night [Realta Nua]
19. PS2 Negima [NEW]
20. NDS Mario Kart DS

21. NDS Layton
22. PS2 Persona 3 FES
23. NDS Brain Training
24. NDS Animal Crossing WW
25. PS2 Musou Orochi
26. 360 Rainbow Six Vegas [NEW]
27. PS2 whatever Baseball 4
28. NDS Odame
29. NDS Namco's word puzzle game
30. NDS Common Knowledge Taining

31. NDS English Training
32. NDS DQ Monster Joker
33. PSP Gundam SEED VS
34. NDS whatever word training
35. PSP Elvandia Story [NEW]
36. PSP Pawafuru Baseball Portable 2
37. 360 Test Drive Unlimited [NEW]
38. NDS Pokemon Diamond
39. PS2 Naruto
40. NDS whatever word training

41. PS2 Kingdom Hearts 2 FM+
42. PS2 神曲奏界ポリフォニカ [NEW]
43. NDS Pokemon Pearl
44. NDS Gyakuten Saiban 1 [BEST]
45. NDS Cryon Shin Chan DS
46. NDS Tamagotchi
47. Wii Made in Wario
48. NDS Simcity DS
49. NDS Majo Love and Berry
50. NDS Tetris DS

DS - 29
PS2 - 8
Wii - 6
PSP - 5
360 - 2
PS3 - 0

Oh my..

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Grecco said:
bububu Third Parties Dont Sell in Nintendo Sistems!

Ignore the success of Ubi in US, and he countless succeses in Japan. As the quality of third party support increases so will the sales.

:D

Talking Point #1: 3rd party never sells on Nintendo, you know it's true. Just ignore the list and pretend that everything that sells on Nintendo hardware is Nintendo games.

Talking Point #2: Compare the 3rd party sales to stuff on Sony and MS platforms and you see that Nintendo is selling worse. This actually could be spun in many different ways.

Evlar

Banned
I'm THRILLED to see One Piece break the top ten. And it sold out!

TWO 360 games debuting in the top 50, and no PS3 in sight...

Durante said:
The technological features and control options are so vastly different between the Wii and the other 2 contenders (you can also throw PCs in that mix) that you just won't see the same game on them. Maybe in some cases there will be games developed under a single name, but they will still be entirely different projects. Multiplatform next-gen games will mean PS360PC. Wii will get (lots of, it currently looks like) Wii games. So personally, I don't see how you can predict the words "Superior Version" being bandied around in this context. (Aside from the fact that, if there were such beasts, they indeed would invariably be superior on PS360 - unlike last gen, the power differential is not just significant but staggering)
We already have had a few instances of essentially the same games released across the current systems, and at least in one case (Godfather) Wii seems to be the one of choice due to controls. If Wii is decently successful, there won't always be enough reason to do a vastly different PS360PC version, so I'm sure we'll see many more multiplatform releases across them.
rikitikitik said:
Does anyone have Media Create charts from 5-6 months after the DS was released?
Week of 2005-04-11
Week of 2005-04-18
Week of 2005-04-25
Alcibiades said:
wait, why don't we get Denkegi Top 50 every week?

Are they inferior numbers to Famitsu/Media Create in terms of reliability?
They're always available, but without any numbers to go along with them, or hardware, they're of not as much interest.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Forgive me for not wanting to read a 1000 reply thread: But why don't we have last week's chart up yet?

carlnunz

Looking back at the 2005 charts for April, I saw this:

"I see 'dogs selling 20K-40K its first week of sale. The type of person this game appeals to has no real reason to run out to the store and buy a game near release...If it's good it might have legs ... if it's bad it'll prolly dissapoint all those here expecting it to set DS sales afire..."

:lol :lol :lol

Fool

Looks like Wii's current offerings are doing better than the DS did back in April 05

Top Bottom