• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

StevieP

Banned
So this is what MediaCreate threads have become, now that Nintendomination has become rather boring? :lol
Virtua Fighter 5

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dragona Akehi said:
The best part was the when Heracles died, he was reunited with his family in the Elsian fields, as a full fledged Olympian. He finally overcame his violent side.

Hmm, he became an Olympian, yes, but didn't get reunited with his family. He married Hebe, and became the porter of the Gods from what I know.

StevieP said:
So this is what MediaCreate threads have become, now that Nintendomination has become rather boring? :lol
Virtua Fighter 5
The problem is that a lot of the former posters who used to make these threads entertaining have come to realise the shocking truth:- Nintendo is back on top and is there to stay for the forseeable future, despite whatever big title is on the horizon for PS3. They were in denial for quite some time, but now that they've come to accept this truth, they choose to ignore sales threads because they cannot post their views in them without being humiliated by the numbers.

Think Nintendo fans circa 2002...

justchris

Dragona Akehi said:
That's why you are wrong. Out of all console games only Grandia has done that. :p

PC game though are another story.

I could probably post links to about 20 sites that would disagree with you on that. The mythology of the Zelda universe has been explored and talked about to an astonishing degree.

The thing is, the difference between the mythology of old and video games is that, what is and is not 'canon' lies in the hands of a singular entity (in this case Nintendo). All other speculation is pretty much academic. Whereas, the ancient greeks passed their mythology down mostly by word of mouth, and could grow and change it with each telling.

Then again, that's just a reflection on how stagnant our society has become. :)

ethelred

justchris said:
I could probably post links to about 20 sites that would disagree with you on that. The mythology of the Zelda universe has been explored and talked about to an astonishing degree.

Pig-Man gets power, Pig-Man kidnaps Chick, Elf-Boy kills Pig-Man.

It's the Sesame Street version of mythology, sorry. There's about as much substance to it as cotton candy.

Deku

Banned
vicious_killer_squirrel said:
The problem is that a lot of the former posters who used to make these threads entertaining have come to realise the shocking truth

No, thy are still there and like pretty much any contested subject, the commonly agreed upon 'facts' expand with history. What is conceded are stuff firmly in the past that are of little interest in current discussion. For example no one will argue that the DS is a big success, though many questioned the platform's viability a few years back even as the sales data were proving them wrong. Start a new thread postulating about the industry in its current state and its future outlook and you'll get what you want -- the same dissenting opinions being presented in a new context. It's the nature of the marketplace of ideas. You rarely convert die hard believers of a particular doctrine. They just go into remission.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ethelred said:

It's the Sesame Street version of mythology, sorry. There's about as much substance to it as cotton candy.

Well, what do you expect when it looks like this:

link_square.jpg

But srsly, tho. Aren't you kinda simplifying things a bit? Not that I want to get into a debate about such a topic (again), but if you're going by that simplification, then even the greek epics would be just as lame. Afterall,

Hero saves princess, hero slays monster, hero dies by some ironic death. (Hercules, Theseus, etc.)

justchris

ethelred said:

Well yeah, but that's pretty much Greek Mythology right there, except they had a goat man instead of a pig man.

ethelred

justchris said:
Well yeah, but that's pretty much Greek Mythology right there, except they had a goat man instead of a pig man.

Except... no, not really at all, sorry!

Okay, though, let's play a game. Tell me how the world was created in Zelda. Tell me how the world will end. Tell me about the various cultures within it and what these people believe about their surroundings and existence. Tell me why it rains in Zelda. Where does the light come from? Why do people dress the way they do? What are the origins of the unique architecture that the series doesn't, by the way, have?

There is no substantive mythology in any reasonable sense of the world in the Zelda series. It is, as I said, cotton candy. It's sweet and gooey but there's really nothing there except pink and sugar and chemicals and air. The series tells a simplified hero tale (and I do mean very simplified) and tends to reiterate the same basic "legendary" mumbojumbo from one iteration to the next, but this is not mythology, it's just the dumbed down stuff spoonfed to people who grew up thinking Aesop's Fables was high literature.

justchris

ethelred said:

Okay, though, let's play a game. Tell me how the world was created in Zelda. Tell me how the world will end. Tell me about the various cultures within it and what these people believe about their surroundings and existence. Tell me why it rains in Zelda. Where does the light come from? Why do people dress the way they do? What are the origins of the unique architecture that the series doesn't, by the way, have?

There is no substantive mythology in any reasonable sense of the world in the Zelda series. It is, as I said, cotton candy. It's sweet and gooey but there's really nothing there except pink and sugar and chemicals and air. The series tells a simplified hero tale (and I do mean very simplified) and tends to reiterate the same basic "legendary" mumbojumbo from one iteration to the next, but this is not mythology, it's just the dumbed down stuff spoonfed to people who grew up thinking Aesop's Fables was high literature.

Hey, I didn't say I was that obsessive about it, I couldn't answer all those questions, but very likely there's someone out there who can, or at least believes they can.

But I already covered that point, I thought. Mythology is normally a creation of the collective consciousness of a society. A single entity cannot create a mythology on their own, which is essentially what happens with video games, since the IP is controlled by a single person. That being said, multiple communities have sprung up around the games and stories of The Legend of Zelda, and they have added their own thoughts and feelings and ideas into the mix, which is exactly what happens with the creation of any other mythology. The difference is, none of it is 'official'. But then, what about Greek Mythology, or Norse Mythology or any of the others is 'official'? I mean, there are several Greek stories that are almost directly contradictory about the origins of the same events.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, the games themselves are just one long story, sort of equivalent to The Oddyssey. The Oddyssey is not the whole of Greek Mythology, but it's one story that draws heavily from, and gives back to it. The actual Mythology of Hyrule is developed beyond the singular story of any particular Legend of Zelda game.

Brak

ethelred said:

Zelda certainly isn't a full mythology, I don't think any reasonable person would assert that. But I think the various myths of "Link and Zelda" could stack up with some very basic mythological standards. The main problem is that the series doesn't have a whole lot of depth, the message doesn't require a whole lot of interpretation.

Hmmmmmm, I changed my mind... it's not a very good attempt at mythology. But you still shouldn't compare Zelda to an entire mythology, just a single hero's myths.

nli10

ethelred said:
Creation: "The gods appeared... and they created things!"

Wow, if this isn't mythology, well, I just don't know what is! :lol

Better to lack story like Zelda than to lack gameplay like Final Fantasy. Your two characters in armour attack, your two characters in dresses heal. You choose pretty animations from the menu lots of times to allow you to watch cutscenes where people are employed to sculpt the characters hair. 9999 HP does not a game make...

AniHawk

nli10 said:
Better to lack story like Zelda than to lack gameplay like Final Fantasy. Your two characters in armour attack, your two characters in dresses heal. You choose pretty animations from the menu lots of times to allow you to watch cutscenes where people are employed to sculpt the characters hair. 9999 HP does not a game make...

At least it was more entertaining than Super Mario Bros. was at the time (now there's a game that has aged poorly).

Since Zelda's strength was never storytelling, the games could never form a convincing, detailed mythology.

What we haven't mentioned though is that the game almost always achieves the sense of a huge, cohesive world with different cultures and unexplored regions and secrets. The mythology is there, but it is never fully developed or explained, leaving the player to shape a part of the world with his own imagination.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
ethelred said:

This is what makes Wind Waker, despite its gameplay shortcomings, such a deliciously interesting entry into the series; we already had the world creation from Ocarina of Time, and we already had the world as the Hylians know it destroyed by the great flooding, and that also gives explanation as to why certain constructions are so in the world. Many of the "legends" the characters talk about, such as the "Triumph Forks", we are fully versed in through the games before and it even has some of its own legends, such as how the Fishmen came about. Ocarina of Time also bought its own tales; the one I remember best is an explanation to why Hylians have pointed ears (to help them listen to the Goddesses speak.) There's also Koholint Island existing purely through the dreams of a giant whale-like deity.

Also (pretty much like Annoying Old Party Man says) the Zelda universe has always been good at giving a fantastic air of mystery to the world you explore, although it's been made more prominent in the 3D Zelda games - stay out at night and walk about and sometimes you feel like you'll discover just about anything if you looked hard (and, quite often in Majora's Mask especially, you did.) This creates the mythology behind it for yourself.

It's not exactly Tolkien in terms of depth, but I'd say it's got some substance to it. I'm sure TSA has more to say on the matter though if he ever turns up.

Xavien

ethelred said:
Creation: "The gods appeared... and they created things!"

Wow, if this isn't mythology, well, I just don't know what is! :lol

Its really the same in Greek Mythology, except a little bit different:

Creation:"The gods appeared... and they bred with themselves!"

I mean that's essentially Greek Mythology creationism in a nutshell. First there was Khaos, then Khaos gave birth to Uranus and Gaia they gave birth to kids, the kids had sex with their parents and gave birth to MORE kids, etc etc.

Eventually they gave Birth to Zeus and the Olympians.

spwolf

The problem is that a lot of the former posters who used to make these threads entertaining have come to realise the shocking truth:- Nintendo is back on top and is there to stay for the forseeable future, despite whatever big title is on the horizon for PS3. They were in denial for quite some time, but now that they've come to accept this truth, they choose to ignore sales threads because they cannot post their views in them without being humiliated by the numbers.

Think Nintendo fans circa 2002...

why is it so shocking?

You cant discuss anyting with your average N fan in any case, way, way too defensive.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Madden made PS3 sell 33% more! Congrats SCEJ :)

I cannot tell whether that is sarcasm anymore, that isn't even a jump in real terms, it is still one of the PS3's worst weeks, and still less than a fifth of Wii, if Sony can't get the punters out during one of Japans biggest shopping weeks, they truly are doomed.

As for the rest of the numbers, 200k+ DS sales? on the week BEFORE GW? Legendary, seriously this console will outsell the PS2 this year, not even a question any more, it also seems like Nintendo is holding steady on Wii supply befote golden week, a sustained 70K+ for the last 3 weeks is nothing to sniff at, still tracking at the same level as DS at the same stage, good stuff, the PS2 is becoming more and more irrelevent in its old age, and the 360 never was relevent.

On a final note, good first week for FF12:RW, non game by end of June?

Edit: to correct my idiocy.

It's amazing to see this video again and realize how Sony is pretty much repeating EXACTLY what Sega did wrong! I mean, first you have the very large black box that's much bigger than its predecessor and is extremely over-priced. Next they put out these crazy-ass commercials that try to scare you. Then they release an arcade port of a Virtua Fighter game. And finally, developers realize that the system is just too difficult to develop for and drop support.
From StudioGuyMN on youtube, commenting on this old US Saturn commercial.

spwolf said:
why is it so shocking?

You cant discuss anyting with your average N fan in any case, way, way too defensive.
The possibility that Nintendo could totally dominate with a system that is not only less powerful than their system of choice, but could do it after a generation as the third-placed loser is shocking to those who use the success of their system of choice as a source of pride. Namely: fanboys. Sony fanboys in particular.

Sony fanboys have never tasted console defeat. Not once. They got burned a little with the PSP and made a thousand threads listing the best games for the system to compensate, but they felt safe because they were on top of the home console hill. They came into this generation backing the most powerful console and the favourite to win. For them, to have this system not just trumped, but slaughtered by something they dismissed as kiddy and irrelevant not six months ago stings. A lot.

Sony fanboys are now avoiding sales threads like Superman avoids Kryptonite. They can't go into sales threads and bully Nintendo fans anymore (like they used to) because Nintendo fans have the numbers on their side. Not only that, if they forecast situations that end with Sony on top, they have to justify their predictions, something that also did not happen in the past when they enjoyed the consensus.

As for N-tards being defensive, this may have been true in the past, when constant mocking forced many to cling to any false hope or to apologist tactics. Nowadays and in future years however, you will see Nintendo fans becoming more and more like the Sony fans of yesteryear and Sony fans becoming more and more like the old Nintendo fans.

As the PS3 loses its big Japanese exclusives (and don't think it won't happen:- Dragon Quest IX, baby) and big name releases fail to produce anything more in terms of sales than an inconsequential bump (a la Gundam Musou), Sony fans will cling to anything that will put them on top. Don't be surprised at the words "Superior Version" being bandied around for multiplatform releases, reactionary threads to any good news for Nintendo spinning it in a bad light, lots of PS3 love-in threads treading the same ground over and over as well as the continued (mis)use of language such as "next-gen".

A bully mocks because he wants to feel superior to somebody; he has inherently low self-esteem. Thus, when the bullies become the bullied, expect them to get whiny and defensive, just like the Nintendo fans of the Cube era. What I'm saying in a nutshell: expect the Tabris's and Drohnes of today to become the Gahiggidys of tomorrow.

mabuza

Banned
Stop It said:
I cannot tell whether that is sarcasm anymore, that isn't even a jump in real terms, it is still one of the PS3's worst weeks, and still less than a fifth of Wii, if Sony can't get the punters out during one of Japans biggest shopping weeks, they truly are doomed.

As for the rest of the numbers, 200k+ DS sales? Legendary, seriously this console will outsell the PS2 this year, not even a question any more, it also seems like Nintendo didn't/couldn't hold back any more Wiis for golden week, but a sustained 70K+ for the last 3 weeks is nothing to sniff at, still tracking at the same level as DS at the same stage, good stuff, the PS2 is becoming more and more irrelevent in its old age, and the 360 never was relevent.

On a final note, good first week for FF12:RW, non game by end of June?
sigh.

Taurus

spwolf said:
why is it so shocking?

Look who's talking. :lol :lol

And where are the :lols you usually overuse in every post of yours? :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol

P.s :lol

Taurus

creamsugar said:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/05/02/103,1178081479,71171,0,0.html

Nintendo's 4/23 ~ 4/29 :lol

1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
2. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
3. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS)
4. Wii Sports (Wii)
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
6. Gyakuten Saiban 4 (DS)
7. One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
9. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)
Ok. And the multiplatform list please?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
creamsugar said:

4. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Wow...best Wii software week ever? (at least in terms of number of games in the top 10).

datruth29

creamsugar said:

4. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)
I said "HOLY MOLY"

CAPCOWNED

Banned
creamsugar said:

4. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

Seriously, no gamer can be happy with that list.

spwolf

The possibility that Nintendo could totally dominate with a system that is not only less powerful than their system of choice, but could do it after a generation as the third-placed loser is shocking to those who use the success of their system of choice as a source of pride. Namely: fanboys. Sony fanboys in particular.

Nintendo could dominate with system that is 2.5x less expensive? You bet :).

And your blah blah about 3rd party exclusives - they certainly are not losing them to Wii, but to 360.

I dont see why anyone should be shocked at position of PS3 in Japan, it is mostly used as BD player as there are no games for it. Sony put themselves in that position and if they are suprised then sucks to be them.

Wii sells well, but Wii games dont, and thats what N will have to work on a bit...

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
mabuza said:

Hi there, I know you haven't been here long, so i'll be gentle, if you haven't noticed, in Japan, Sony is losing, heavily, the PS2 is on its way out, the PSP is being utterly anhiliated by the DSLite, and the PS3? This is Living
Brain dead, on life support only
, and just to hammer home my point.

creamsugar said:

4. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

Ooh, burn baby, after the debacles that was the N64 and GC, it feels so good to be able to back a decent console this time, Sony have become Nintendo Circa 1997-2004 and Nintendo vice-versa, and so the cycle of the games industry continues.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
spwolf said:
Wii sells well, but Wii games dont, and thats what N will have to work on a bit...

Did you notice this weeks software chart just posted?

nli10

Perfect rundown of current console climate.

Good summary there - all true too.

I do think that Xmas 2008 will see the PS3 surge, but will it be too late by then?

Loving the 'Nintendo Week' top 10. Casual gaming for the win - and a 3rd party title at number 1 :D

Taurus

spwolf said:
Nintendo could dominate with system that is 2.5x less expensive? You bet :).

And your blah blah about 3rd party exclusives - they certainly are not losing them to Wii, but to 360.

I dont see why anyone should be shocked at position of PS3 in Japan, it is mostly used as BD player as there are no games for it. Sony put themselves in that position and if they are suprised then sucks to be them.

This just in:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/200...71171,0,0.html

Nintendo's 4/23 ~ 4/29

4. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

5 out of 10. Seems like it's all over for Nintendo and Wii. I might remember wrong but there are already few million sellers on Wii. Kinda odd if Wii games don't sell?

Does anyone remember Wii tie-ratios in different regions? In US it was close to 5.0 if I remember correctly? That's bad, it should be higher, higher, HIGHER!

Seriously, wtf are you babbling about?

creamsugar said:

4. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

And these aren't even golden week!

DS - "Hey Wii welcome, thanks for finally joining me, its been hard holding this damn chart up"

Nice to see a few 3rd parties in there too!!

Top Bottom