• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

Axord

Xisiqomelir said:
They had 100% for a year, but chose not to fortify the position.
...That's an interesting way of looking at things. I would say rather that their strenuous efforts at trying to fortify their position failed.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mr. Pointy said:
When will we get the MC numbers? Will it be later than normal?

Some confusion, but it seems likely that we won't get any this week.

Brak said:
Well, that's the overt message of the story. Heracles was driven to a fit of madness and killed his family, and the same excuse is given when he kills Iole's brother. The implicit message, though, is that Heracles great strength is both a blessing and a curse.

The Greeks loved a great paradox (Apollo's many tragic romances despite his desirability, Athena's duality and connection to the spheres of men and women, practically every tragedy ever written) and so Heracles represents the warrior who can't leave the violence on the battlefield. This is a common issue even today, we train people to be killers and then ask them to return to regular society when their service is done.

Also, Heracles killed his music tutor with a Lyre and there was no excuse given for that one, so it shows that he definitely has a temper and is prone to violent outbursts. The idea that Heracles would never do such a horrible act unless Hera influenced him is almost certainly wrong. My main point really is that myths aren't meant to be digested at the surface level, and Heracles murdering his family is about the difficulty of living a normal life for a great warrior, and not about the gods intervening in mortal affairs and ruining Heracles's life.

/OT

Yes and no. Zeus and the gods forgave Heracles for the murders -- it was clearly Hera's madness that came over him. A full pardon even.

But Heracles could not and would not give it up. He had to "atone" for his sins and therefore went on the journey that lead to the Twelve Labours of Heracles. Some of which involved no battles (the cleaning of Augean stables in a day) or violence.

While I definately agree that Heracles was seen as a very violent man who didn't always understand how to use his strength (see the Argonauts), I was saying in this specific case, it really wasn't his fault. That's all. :p

He's also known as being a gentle man who loved children and created many games to play with them.

The best part was the when Heracles died, he was reunited with his family in the Elsian fields, as a full fledged Olympian. He finally overcame his violent side.

Like all Greek heroes he is both tragic and noble.

mclem

Vinnk said:
Meanwhile in Japan [I emailed Hiro at Famicom Dojo]:

Famicom Dojo:

Wii: Sold out
DS lite: Sold out
Super Paper Mario: Sold Out
Big Brain Academy: 2 copies
FF:RW 1 used copy

NOTES:

1. Hiro was swamped with requests for Wii but only received a couple.
2. He got more DS lites than usual and they sold out within hours.
3. The used copy of FF:RW means one of two things. Either the person who bought the game has already beat it or they didn’t like it.
4. I miss Japan
I know you're not tracking the PS3 any more, and that's understandable... but could you possibly bring yourself to make a special effort for Old Reliable? It's become such a regular fixture of the Village that I'd hate for its story to be left incomplete.

Vinnk

mclem said:
I know you're not tracking the PS3 any more, and that's understandable... but could you possibly bring yourself to make a special effort for Old Reliable? It's become such a regular fixture of the Village that I'd hate for its story to be left incomplete.

Oh lord... I didn't even ask Hiro about it.. What if it was sold?! It would be like losing an old friend..

enishi

Stopsign said:
A little late today. That's okay, I'm writing a paper on Copernicus right now, so I need to stay up a little longer.

You may need to stay here for another week for numbers...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Cheesemeister said:
At this point, I think it's pretty safe to say we indeed won't be getting numbers until Golden Week is over.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Brak

Dragona Akehi said:
Yes and no. Zeus and the gods forgave Heracles for the murders -- it was clearly Hera's madness that came over him. A full pardon even.

But Heracles could not and would not give it up. He had to "atone" for his sins and therefore went on the journey that lead to the Twelve Labours of Heracles. Some of which involved no battles (the cleaning of Augean stables in a day) or violence.

While I definately agree that Heracles was seen as a very violent man who didn't always understand how to use his strength (see the Argonauts), I was saying in this specific case, it really wasn't his fault. That's all. :p

He's also known as being a gentle man who loved children and created many games to play with them.

The best part was the when Heracles died, he was reunited with his family in the Elsian fields, as a full fledged Olympian. He finally overcame his violent side.

Like all Greek heroes he is both tragic and noble.
Well let's just call it an analogy gone wrong. :p

It was a nice excuse to chat about mythology anyways - I should make a thread in OT.

<On-topic> Did the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo get released to Japanese PS3s? Is the Japanese market even that interested in the game?

Anyone else feel like they are reading a preliminary to God of War 3?
icon_wink.gif

apujanata

Vinnk said:
“Vinnk’s Village”

(Current “village” is my hometown in Wisconsin)

I went to 19 stores before I found a Wii. (1 caught a delivery)

NOTES:

1. Wii is supply constrained in central Wisconsin.
2. Zelda is more fun in English
3. Metal Slug Anthology should really be released in Japan.

Meanwhile in Japan [I emailed Hiro at Famicom Dojo]:

Famicom Dojo:

Wii: Sold out
DS lite: Sold out
Super Paper Mario: Sold Out
Big Brain Academy: 2 copies
FF:RW 1 used copy

NOTES:

1. Hiro was swamped with requests for Wii but only received a couple.
2. He got more DS lites than usual and they sold out within hours.
3. The used copy of FF:RW means one of two things. Either the person who bought the game has already beat it or they didn’t like it.
4. I miss Japan

That’s all I have for this week guys. I’ll be back in Japan May 8th and back to posting.

Very nice, unexpected, Vinnk's Village Report. Many thanks, Vinnk.

Congratulation on getting US Wii. I might have given up after trying 10 store. You were rewarded for your persistence (19 stores!!).
When you talk about BBA, you are talking about BBA Wii, right ?
Interesting that even with more DS lites released, it still managed to sold out within hours. Hours, in a small city. Wow.

legend166

That's some good numbers for SPM in it's 2nd week. And with Golden Week this week, it might get 50k+ for it's 3rd week. I'd say that it will most definately become a worldwide million seller.

Didn't BBA not sell that well even on the DS? I don't think BBA's "cutesy" style appeals much to the older Brain Training crowd (hardcore mature non-gamers).

apujanata

Kobun Heat said:
So you guys realize that *this* week is Golden Week, right? This week. Not the week of April 23-29, which will be the next week of sales we see.

I suppose the first weekend of Golden Week is folded in there, but...

2006's DS (DS+DSL) M-create sales, on or around Golden Week :
April Week 3 (10-16) 178,173
April Week 4 (17-23) 176,860
April Week 5 (23-30) 268,530
May Week 1 (01-07) 185,438

2006's DS sales, on or around Christmas :
Dec Week 1 (27-03) 177,041
Dec Week 2 (04-10) 309,797
Dec Week 3 (11-17) 319,866
Dec Week 4 (18-24) 485,964
Dec Week 5 (25-31) 176,321

2007's DS sales, on or around Golden Week :
April Week 3 (09-15) 133,471
April Week 4 (16-22) 172,440

If the 200K figure for 23-29 is true, and since golden week is this week (30 - 6), then we might see 300K or more figure for week 30-6 (if Nintendo can get the shipment up to 300K level).

Eteric Rice

BrodiemanTTR said:
Didn't BBA not sell that well even on the DS? I don't think BBA's "cutesy" style appeals much to the older Brain Training crowd (hardcore mature non-gamers).

Didn't it sell like 2 million copies?

Eteric Rice said:
Didn't it sell like 2 million copies?

IIRC, it sold more than 1.4 million in Japan (and that was a while ago), and it's definitely sold several hundreds of thousands of copies in both the US and Europe (especially Europe, where it's selling really well).

Dragona Akehi said:

Come on Dragona. That's what the wink was for. :)

bmf said:
Nah. 6th grade. My homeroom teacher had us doing mythology studies last period. It's probably why I'm an atheist.

My school system didn't really go into Greek mythology until Senior year when we had to read the Iliad and Odyssey. That was 11 years ago so I don't remember much. :lol

bgassassin said:
Come on Dragona. That's what the wink was for. :)

I know but it's still terribly depressing. Mythology is such a fascinating subject. It is history (or a type of history) that becomes legend and myth and which was shaped by the society and in turn shapes the society itself.

I mean it's just as depressing seeing someone equate Valkyrie Profile with an accurate telling of Norse Mythology (though obviously I love it anyway). Or in this case God of War...

The Illiad is amazing and I'd definitely recommend you revisit it. It's an excellent epic poem. If you like it I can recommend lots of other epic poetry and myth from other societies.

creamsugar

Famitsu 4/23 ~ 4/29 (Unconfirmed)

DS Lite - 219,331
Wii - 74,950
PSP - 31,368
PS3 - 14,700
PS2 - 13,040
Xbox360 - 3,530

FF12RW - 289,325

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Dragona Akehi said:
I know but it's still terribly depressing. Mythology is such a fascinating subject. It is history (or a type of history) that becomes legend and myth and which was shaped by the society and in turn shapes the society itself.

I mean it's just as depressing seeing someone equate Valkyrie Profile with an accurate telling of Norse Mythology (though obviously I love it anyway). Or in this case God of War...

The Illiad is amazing and I'd definitely recommend you revisit it. It's an excellent epic poem. If you like it I can recommend lots of other epic poetry and myth from other societies.

One might say that Valkyrie Profile is a modern reflection of our (lack of) appreciation of mythology. On the same note, (and I made this point earlier in the Zelda thread), we could also look to certain games in the same vein as those ancient poems. Perhaps not as good, but sometimes every bit as inspiring and giving gentle lessons to those that are willing to listen.

PantherLotus said:
One might say that Valkyrie Profile is a modern reflection of our (lack of) appreciation of mythology. On the same note, (and I made this point earlier in the Zelda thread), we could also look to certain games in the same vein as those ancient poems. Perhaps not as good, but sometimes every bit as inspiring and giving gentle lessons to those that are willing to listen.

There hasn't been a console game outside of Grandia that effectively created a unique mythology. Sorry meboyo but Zelda don't cut it. At all.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Dragona Akehi said:
There hasn't been a console game outside of Grandia that effectively created a unique mythology. Sorry meboyo but Zelda don't cut it. At all.

Mythology isn't created, sugarmuffin, it is lived, cultivated, believed, and retold. Coming up with a clever storyline isn't creating mythology--creating an inspiring world that is explored in the imaginations of it's listeners (readers/players) is.

Moreover, there is no such thing as unique mythology since antiquity. Every story has already been told. It's how it is currently being told that truly reflects society.

Thoren

Banned
creamsugar said:
Famitsu 4/23 ~ 4/29 (Unconfirmed)

DS Lite - 219,331
Wii - 74,950
PSP - 31,368
PS3 - 14,700
PS2 - 13,040
Xbox360 - 3,530

FF12RW - 289,325

Glad to see Xbox 360 is back at it's steady as a rock 3.5k per week.

PantherLotus said:
Mythology isn't created, sugarmuffin, it is lived, cultivated, believed, and retold. Coming up with a clever storyline isn't creating mythology--creating an inspiring world that is explored in the imaginations of it's listeners (readers/players) is.

Moreover, there is no such thing as unique mythology since antiquity. Every story has already been told. It's how it is currently being told that truly reflects society.

That's why you are wrong. Out of all console games only Grandia has done that. :p

PC game though are another story.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mutsu said:
Bomba? Far from it. For a side story and a RTS.

hey mutsu, meet ethelred. He was being sarcastic. He's a nice alternative to Ani when Ani is trying to hard, as has been the case lately. :p

Saitou

Banned
PantherLotus said:
hey mutsu, meet ethelred. He was being sarcastic. He's a nice alternative to Ani when Ani is trying to hard, as has been the case lately. :p
You seem to be implying ethelred and Anihawk are two different people.

Top Bottom