• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) under criminal investigation for fraudulent accounting

NeededSleep

Was it Index who was refusing to show their quarterly profits or something earlier this year? Or something along those lines?

If so.... fuck someone make an offer on atlus and get them the fuck out of there

duckroll

As the investigation continues, it seems that they've uncovered over 100 companies connected to this Index scandal. They are affiliate companies and business partners suspected of being part of the scheme to inflate the share price and accounts of Index via round tripping. The Securities and Exchange Surveillance Commission believes that Index has been carrying out this fraudulent scheme continuously and on a large scale for some time now.

Trading of Index shares have been suspended by the Osaka Stock Exchange since yesterday.

Curufinwe

Man I can't believe I got that angry over someone else having a different opinion about a video game than me. That hasn't happened in like 15 years. Ha, that game brings me back.

Anyway yeah a couple of the remixes in P1 PSP were OK, as in the ones without vocals, but the brutal cuts to the tracklist and that goddamn lady singing gibberish in the battle music were unacceptable.

Ugh... flashbacks to playing P1 PSP... get into a battle... oh no, here it comes... "Keep laying on the coat rack / The hate rape fools just won't stop" WTF lady stop singing!

Haha. I think it's hate crazed fools, but I do think of it as the coat rack song.

Jubern

As the investigation continues, it seems that they've uncovered over 100 companies connected to this Index scandal. They are affiliate companies and business partners suspected of being part of the scheme to inflate the share price and accounts of Index via round tripping. The Securities and Exchange Surveillance Commission believes that Index has been carrying out this fraudulent scheme continuously and on a large scale for some time now.

Trading of Index shares have been suspended by the Osaka Stock Exchange since yesterday.

That's... uh, pretty bad. I wonder how they'll get out of this. Assuming they can.

Glass Rebel

Stay strong, Persona fans.

Ouch, this is getting real serious.

Yikes.
That is legitimately serious.

....aww damn folks it got bigger.

Despera

Banned

Oh man...

Can't positive think right now.

I'm interested in what's happening here with Atlus but can't understand a thing there saying. Could someone plz put this in dumb terms for me, I'm not all that intellectual when it comes to financial matters.?

Dinda

It would be such a great day when Sony rescues Atlus from Index.
I mean it's not like Atlus would ever release something on PC (or Europe) so i would be ok with having them only on Playstation.
And they are exactly the kind of Developer Sonys First Party is missing.

Lunar15

I'm interested in what's happening here with Atlus but can't understand a thing there saying. Could someone plz put this in dumb terms for me, I'm not all that intellectual when it comes to financial matters.?

The company that owns Atlus, Index, has been caught doing some illegal activities with their accounting. Since the authorities are investigating the company, they've stopped their shares from being traded on the stock market.

There's no immediate effects to Atlus, but it's safe to say that the entire company is now in a holding pattern

The company that owns Atlus, Index, has been caught doing some illegal activities with their accounting. Since the authorities are investigating the company, they've stopped their shares from being traded on the stock market.

There's no immediate effects to Atlus, but it's safe to say that the entire company is now in a holding pattern

Alright, thanks. At least now I understand.

duckroll

What does this mean for Atlus? Anything severe?

Impossible to tell for now. First the SESC's investigation has to conclude, then we'll know if there'll be charges against the executives, which ones, and then we see how the company responds, and how the shareholders react.

hidys

What does this mean for Atlus? Anything severe?

At a guess likely in the long run another less dirty company will take control if Index is guilty, that or Atlus gets chopped up and its studios/ips get bought up. I suspect the former would be more likely.

Clockwork5

Could index be shut down over this?

Not familiar with Japanese business law, but in the US a publicly held company cannot be "shut down" but can be monitarily punished which, as a result, can force them into bankruptcy.

However, the good news is that in the case of bankruptcy, the Atlus division would likely be sold to another publisher.

pirata

Is there any way anyone can check in on the Persona team to see if everything's going alright? Any Western journos or something?

Refyref

Viral marketing for the Persona 5 mystery case?

DuckrollIndexTip.PNG

What?????? What????? Holy shit, I didn't know anyone could ever think that. I just... ugh. That song is a fucking travesty. Pretty much every single change to the P1 soundtrack was a fucking travesty, but that battle music is head and shoulders the worst thing that you could possibly do to that game.

I loved the P1P soundtrack. Then again, I wasn't a fan of most of the tracks in the original game (the battle music in the PS1 version is especially ear-rending).

The two butterfly songs (the intro & the world map theme) are especially good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wow, that sounds shady. i shouldn't be surprised seeing how they treated their long time fans with unique region locks.
This is a really embarrassing post. No, it's not the case that a single arguably poor but also explainable decision by Atlus USA suggests that its parent company would be involved in massive and systematic stock fraud. I get it, you only entered the thread to grind your axe.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, I can't believe this. Atlus is like... one of my favorite game companies. Ever. If they die as a company, I'm going to be so gutted I'll be nearly despondent...

duckroll

Man, I can't believe this. Atlus is like... one of my favorite game companies. Ever. If they die as a company, I'm going to be so gutted I'll be nearly despondent...

Well, if you're concerned for the game development side of things, I'll say that personally I'll be very surprised if they "go under" so to speak without any future in the industry. The Atlus IPs are popular titles in Japan, and Persona in particular has pretty wide transmedia reach across the entertainment industry. The developers at Atlus are also very talented people with a long history in the industry. I think they'll pull through one way or another.

Glass Rebel

would be awesome if level-5 bought them

we could finally get the hino written persona game everybody wanted

(´ー`)y-~~

Glass Rebel

i'll settle for imageepoch

Honestly though, when Index bought the controlling stake, were there any other companies publicly interested in Atlus?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Round trip glitch is broken. Nerf Vergil.

kick51

Banned

Don't worry, I'm sure Tecmo-Koei will swoop in and buy up their IPs and get Gust or Compile Heart to make Persona 5.

muahahahahaha

edit: fuck, i'm on a list now, aren't i. Just when I made it through E3 :(

Top Bottom