• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patton Oswalt: A CLOSED LETTER TO MYSELF ABOUT THIEVERY, HECKLING AND RAPE JOKES

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Long but brilliant, insightful read.

http://www.pattonoswalt.com/index.cfm?page=spew&id=167

On rape jokes:

So that’s how I saw the whole “rape joke” controversy. And, again, my view was based on my experience as a comedian. 25 years experience, you know? This was about censorship, and the limits of comedy, and the freedom to create and fuck up while you hone what you create.

But remember what I was talking about, in the first two sections of this? In the “Thievery” section and then the “Heckling” section? About how people only bring their own perceptions and experiences to bear when reacting to something? And, since they’re speaking honestly from their experience, they truly think they’re correct? Dismissive, even? See if any of these sound familiar:

There’s no “evidence” of a “rape culture” in this country. I’ve never wanted to rape anyone, so why am I being lumped in as the enemy? If these bloggers and feminists make “rape jokes” taboo, or “rape” as a subject off-limits no matter what the approach, then it’ll just lead to more censorship.

They sure sound familiar to me because I, at various points, was saying them. Either out loud, or to myself, or to other comedian and non-comedian friends when we would argue about this. I had my viewpoint, and it was based on solid experience, and it…was…fucking…wrong.

Let’s go backwards through those bullshit conclusions, shall we? First off: no one is trying to make rape, as a subject, off-limits. No one is talking about censorship. In this past week of re-reading the blogs, going through the comment threads, and re-scrolling the Twitter arguments, I haven’t once found a single statement, feminist or otherwise, saying that rape shouldn’t be joked under any circumstance, regardless of context. Not one example of this.

In fact, every viewpoint I’ve read on this, especially from feminists, is simply asking to kick upward, to think twice about who is the target of the punchline, and make sure it isn’t the victim.

Why, after all of my years of striving to write original material (and, at times, becoming annoyingly self-righteous about it) and struggling find new viewpoints or untried approaches to any subject, did I suddenly balk and protest when an articulate, intelligent and, at times, angry contingent of people were asking my to apply the same principles to the subject of rape? Any edgy or taboo subject can become just as hackneyed as an acceptable or non-controversial one if the exact same approach is made every time. But I wasn’t willing to hear that.

And let’s go back even further. I’ve never wanted to rape anyone. Never had the impulse. So why was I feeling like I was being lumped in with those who were, or who took a cavalier attitude about rape, or even made rape jokes to begin with? Why did I feel some massive, undeserved sense of injustice about my place in this whole controversy?

The answer to that is in the first incorrect assumption. The one that says there’s no a “rape culture” in this country. How can there be? I’ve never wanted to rape anyone.

Do you see the illogic in that leap? I didn’t at first. Missed it completely. So let’s look at some similar examples:

Just because you 100% believe that comedians don’t write their own jokes doesn’t make it so. And making the leap from your evidence-free belief to dismissing comedians who complain about joke theft is willful ignorance on your part, invoked for your own comfort. Same way with heckling. Just because you 100% feel that a show wherein a heckler disrupted the evening was better than one that didn’t have that disruption does not make it the truth. And to make the leap from your own personal memory to insisting that comedians feel the same way that you do is indefensible horseshit.

And just because I find rape disgusting, and have never had that impulse, doesn’t mean I can make a leap into the minds of women and dismiss how they feel day to day, moment to moment, in ways both blatant and subtle, from other men, and the way the media represents the world they live in, and from what they hear in songs, see in movies, and witness on stage in a comedy club.

There is a collective consciousness that can detect the presence (and approach) of something good or bad, in society or the world, before any hard “evidence” exists. It’s happening now with the concept of “rape culture.” Which, by the way, isn’t a concept. It’s a reality. I’m just not the one who’s going to bring it into focus. But I’ve read enough viewpoints, and spoken to enough of my female friends (comedians and non-comedians) to know it isn’t some vaporous hysteria, some false meme or convenient catch-phrase.

I’m a comedian. I value and love what I do. And I value and love the fact that this sort of furious debate is going on about the art form I’ve decided to spend my life pursuing. If it wasn’t, it would mean all of the joke thief defenders and heckler supporters are right, that stand-up comedy is some low, disposable form of carnival distraction, a party trick anyone can do. It’s obviously not. This debate proves it. And I don’t want to be on the side of the debate that only argues from its own limited experience. And I don’t need the sense memory of an actor, or a degree from Columbia, or a moody, desert god to tell me that.

I’m a man. I get to be wrong. And I get to change.

Right? Plus he's Ratatouille!

To highlight something, the feminist circles I've been in definitely agree with the "kicking upwards" sentiment not censorship. I think that should be the push and would make the artists a bit more open to suggestion. Subversive comedy should really be questioning conventions like Carlin constantly did not reinforcing the status quo.

jtb

Banned
really great read all around, and not just the rape culture bit. I know he's been taking the whole joke stealing pretty seriously on twitter lately and fuck hecklers. go patton!

anaron

To highlight something, the feminist circles I've been in definitely agree with the "kicking upwards" sentiment not censorship. I think that should be the push and would make the artists a bit more open to suggestion. Subversive comedy should really be questioning conventions like Carlin constantly did not reinforcing the status quo.
Definitely. It's so damn lazy which just reinforces the offensiveness of it all.

N4Us

The fans who unfollowed me on Twitter after I shut down The Pastor – just like the ones who unfollow me when I rage against the NRA, and gay marriage opponents and FOX News? I don’t want them as fans.

Patton, I didn't unfollow you because I disagreed with you about ProdigalSam

I unfollowed you (and a couple dozen others) because my TL was cluttered with people who wouldn't shut the fuck up about ProdigalSam

It's so nice to read a legitimately thoughtful, incisive, nuanced essay for once. This is an excellent rebuttal to anyone who sputters a platitude like "Comedians should be free to make fun of everything and everyone." It's not that that statement is inherently wrong, it's that it's just a lazy crutch and too simplistic a way to think about comedy without acknowledging the way comedy interacts in the world.

I wasn't aware of him having to deal with all these joke thieves, is there any more background on that?

This is pretty spot-on, which is a turnaround from what Oswalt seemed to be saying last year during Tosh's moment of public scrutiny. He was on the "waaaah, censorship" train then, and it's awesome to see him change his tune.

Nobody wants to censor anyone, we just shouldn't accept jokes that simply exist to make punchlines out of rape victims.

By the way, I still think The Onion had the best response to that whole event.

Holy crap, that was good.

All the stuff in the rest of Oswalt's blog about thieving is pretty good, too.

Him saying he's passionate about defending comedy by having the conversation about rape jokes, reminds me of what the gaming industry was going through and still is after recent school shootings over the level of violence in video games. These people don't want to trivialise the medium they're in by saying "it's just..." to sweep the issue under the rug. There are things that can be improved and rationally argued over, instead of turtling with defensive reactions.

MooseKing

Banned
I like Patton, but he got destroyed on this subject when he was on the Opie and Anthony show. Jim Norton pretty much regulated. Jim literally named over 50 people trying to censor commedians and or going after their jobs for jokes. He then talked about personal stuff he has gotten into involving jokes, and so on and so forth. He also named various comedians who stopped being booked, and are very funny guys, after some crazy person from the audience got offended.

In the comic community, Oswalts opinion on this is not widely accepted. At least in terms of the "nobody is saying don't make the joke". Argument.

This is pretty spot-on, which is a turnaround from what Oswalt seemed to be saying last year during Tosh's moment of public scrutiny. He was on the "waaaah, censorship" train then, and it's awesome to see him change his tune.

Nobody wants to censor anyone, we just shouldn't accept jokes that simply exist to make punchlines out of rape victims.

The tosh thing was just a clusterfuck of a lot of different issues all happening at once, it was not a good situation to bring any sort of understanding for either side of the argument

isoquant

I agree with a fair amount of what he says, but I don't find very useful his limiting of 'acceptable' rape jokes to those that make anyone other than the victim the punchline.

Victims of crime should - sometimes - be the butt of jokes. And I've never seen a good explanation as to why we should distinguish between rape victims and victims of various other terrible crimes (torture, murder, and so on).

Unacceptable rape jokes are those that perpetuate the so-called 'rape culture' - in particular, the idea that the victims are somehow to blame. It's not as precise a limitation, but it is certainly a lot narrower.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Patton Oswalt is a beautiful human being.

At least in the thievery section, still reading. Lotta words.

I'm glad he finally came around on the rape culture issue. I was starting to dislike him for a while there around the time of the Tosh incident.

Zaptruder

Banned
To a large degree, I'd agree that we should consider what's in good taste when making comedy out of topics of victims.

Can it be done in a way that makes this shit funny? Yeah surely it can be.

Can it be done in a mean spirited ignorant manner? I'm almost certain that it's far easier to do that.

And if you do it in a mean spirited ignorant manner - you should be called out on it as a mean spirited ignorant fuckwit that you most likely are!

And if you're not, you should probably hone your craft before attempting more controversial subjects that have the tendency to piss people off if handled wrongly.

Unfortunately, the messaging of this debate has been thrown off. It's about whether or not we should have rape jokes, instead of the more salient - if you're going to joke about a sensitive topic, you better make sure it's funny and not just stupid, ignorant, insensitive bullshit.

In essence - good rape jokes aren't about piling on the victims - they're about reframing and reconsidering the cultural artifacts surrounding the idea of rape. Even the ones that on the surface level seem as though they're piling on, when uttered in the right manner in the appropriate context (with the right sort of setup) are about reframing and reconsidering.

Since I didn't expect to read a 5000 word essay right before I went to bed, I'm a little off my game and possibly not understanding this as clearly as I would after a good nights sleep. So, just to clarify his closing statement on rape jokes, is this summation correct?

He thought all rape jokes were, like everything else, fair game in the comedic world. He recently realized that those who were arguing against them, weren't arguing for the censorship or removal of rape jokes altogether, but rather that the joke not be aimed at a(the) victim. He realizes this is a fair stance and one that he is willing to change his mind on.

Sorry for dumbing it down, but after a long day and now a long read, I can't tell if he's gone from "jokes can be about anything" to "jokes can be about anything but rape" or "jokes can be about anything but rape victims"

AMUSIX

Interesting read. I thought the first section was the best, really good stuff on the theft of material. My wife worked at the Comedy Store in LA for years, knew all the comedians, their routines, etc, would be backstage with them all, and theft was always a big thing. Constantly being talked about, discussed, accused of happening, etc. And when a thieving comedian got a break it would result in some rather vicious talk, and a whole lot of revealing of secrets. Patton's assessment of it seems to be the most level-headed (but certainly not the most common) and the whole read for that section was fascinating.

The heckling bit was pretty straight forward. I think the key point there is when he says heckling stops the show from being a show. People don't realize that what they're watching is no less scripted than going to a play, yet I doubt many performances of Death of a Salesman get interrupted by some dick audience member.

On the final section, I can't say I agree with him. Going back to what Tosh said, it was funny, and a fitting reaction to that heckler. For those of you who don't know what happened, Tosh was talking about how there's no subject that should be off limits in comedy...to paraphrase:

Tosh: Bear maulings can be funny. They're terrible, but they can be funny.
Audience member: Bear maulings are NEVER funny, and you're a terrible person for saying that!
Tosh: It'd be funny if five bears suddenly mauled you right now!

And it would have been. There would have been a dark ironic humor in the absurdity of five bears showing up right then and mauling her just as she was exclaiming her outrage against bear maulings and interrupting Tosh's joke on the subject.

Patton's new take of 'well, we should make sure the victim and punchline are not the same person' seems off. In the above case, the woman would be both the victim and the punchline. Granted, there are jokes that are hurtful and inappropriate, but that is due to their structure, not their topic.

There are jokes about the holocaust and 9/11 and slavery and kidnapping and the most horrific things in this world. And they can be wildly inappropriate and funny and terrible at the same time. There's decades of humor to prove this. No topic should be put on a pedestal as untouchable, which is what Tosh was saying. And, at the time, Patton said it as well, and was right for doing so. For him to now say "well, Tosh was wrong for saying what he did" is to say that yes, certain topics should not be made light of. It's disappointing to hear him say this, but I can understand how he was led to this point.

So, yeah, don't agree with everything, but overall, very interesting read.

Monocle

I read the whole letter a couple of days ago. Very on point. I thought Patton made a persuasive case against each of the topics he addressed. And good on him not only for being capable of changing his mind, but for admitting that he was wrong about rape jokes even though it meant taking back his earlier public comments.

That video is incredible.

Wow, ruthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom