• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

rubso said:
Do I have to say "Blu-ray IS SUPERIOR" so you won't consider me "trolling" ?! Seriously?!

From a technical standpoint ... yes, since it is simply a fact.

To say you like the releases more for HD-DVD, etc. ... that is an opinion, and you are welcome to it.

However, facts are facts when talking about the HW spec.

rubso wins the Dolt of the Day award.

Seriously, you try to paint BD as being all Mpeg-2, and then when it's pointed out that it's not, you whine that you have to admit BD is superior. How about just getting the facts right instead?

La la la, "HD-DVD provides a better picture" is the new mantra, and patently untrue unless you look at the earliest BluRays which were substandard.

rubso said:
here, have fun reading it.

All of your credibility is lost with that post. You want us to accept some moron's reviews of 2 titles as truth? Especially when he compares PCM to True HD and calls True HD superior in audio? Once True HD is decoded, IT IS PCM, whatever difference he hears is due to the way audio is mixed for the particular movie. A better comparison would be Departed HD DVD/Blu-ray. LOL. That post made my day. Got anymore? I'm hungry to chew and spit out. :lol

Raistlin

rubso said:
here, have fun reading it.

You're basing your view of the codecs on a website review comparing two different movies, by a reviewer that doesn't seem to have much in the way of technical expertise?

Holy shit :lol

3803.jpg

Can't wait for this one. One of my fav movies ever. Too bad Universal is going to give this one the "perfect sound" treatment <where's my rolleyes?> by giving it a DD+ 1.5mbps.

This one is for Bishop :lol

3846.jpg

ManaByte

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...CEO_Iger_Talks_Up_Blu-ray_in_Analyst_Call/622

"We made our bed with Blu-ray because we believed more in that format for a variety of reasons; some technical in nature, some due to the fact that it simply had broader support from a variety of industries, notably the motion picture studios but also what I’ll call the consumer electronics and the tech industry.

What we are seeing lately is that sales of Blu-ray discs are outpacing HD discs by at least two to one. As more quality Blu-ray product comes on the market, which is going to happen, notably with Pirates on May 22, we actually believe that the difference or the advantage of Blu-ray is only going to widen.

What we are also seeing is that the adoption of the platform right now is being held back a bit by a perception among consumers, really, that there is a format war; and that the hardware or the players are too expensive. We see the players coming down in price nicely, particularly by the Christmas season. We also believe that if Blu-ray continues to outpace HD DVD the retailers are ultimately going to weigh in, because they only have a limited amount of shelf space, and they are going to have to choose a format in order to manage their own shelf space. Once that happens, the advantage is going to go even more in Blu-ray’s direction.

I think the single greatest thing we can do right now is to not waffle, but to be very, very blunt about it, to continue our support of Blu-ray because we sense a real advantage. The best thing that could happen is for the format war to end, which will be very pro-consumer, particularly as hardware comes down.

The other thing I want to note is, if you look across the globe, the only place there is really a format war is in the United States. In other markets where next-gen DVD is starting to penetrate, Blu-ray is winning, and substantially; so much so there isn’t even a perceived format war.

So I think we made the right decision, the trends we are seeing seem to validate the decision. We think long-term, this is going to be a nice growth area for the company, because as you know sell-through DVD is a big business for the Walt Disney Company, even though we believe in things like VOD and the rental model. People want to own a Disney DVD, particularly in the next-generation format."

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
ManaByte said:

The other thing I want to note is, if you look across the globe, the only place there is really a format war is in the United States. In other markets where next-gen DVD is starting to penetrate, Blu-ray is winning, and substantially; so much so there isn&#8217;t even a perceived format war.

Bolded for truth.

Which makes Bandai Visuals decision to go HD-DVD only all that much more mystifying.

Maybe they just want to repeat their halcyon LD days.

Crayon Shinchan said:
Bolded for truth.

The other thing I want to note is, if you look across the globe, the only place there is really a format war is in the United States. In other markets where next-gen DVD is starting to penetrate, Blu-ray is winning, and substantially; so much so there isn’t even a perceived format war.

Which makes Bandai Visuals decision to go HD-DVD only all that much more mystifying.

Maybe they just want to repeat their halcyon LD days.

I guess they forgot a continent named Europe...

Don't have any comments to add, but another lawsuit to Sony by Target Technology over the coating on Blu-ray discs:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=846101

This lawsuit is extremely relevant and could be damaging to BD. I have received some clarification on the details of the lawsuit.

This lawsuit has nothing to do with the hard coating. It pertains entirely to the reflective layer of the Blu-ray disc.

The company Target Technology Company has 8 assigned patents on producing relective layers for optical media that yield a more reflective layer than traditional thin films. Target Tech claims that Sony is using one of these reflective films on BD disc, but they are not paying royalties to license the technology.

On the tech side, apparently during BD discs development, it was found that normal reflective layers were not sufficient for use in multi-layer BD discs. Basically, you couldn't effectively produce BD-50's with a normal reflective layer, because too much of the laser was lost. So Sony started using a more reflective silver alloy layer to get the BD50 to work. So they couldn't simply switch reflective layers, as not just any layer will allow BD50 to work.

It could be damaging to BD because Target could seek an injunction to stop using the process, unless Sony pay up. This could mean Sony is unable to produce any multi-layer BD discs, which would then cap the format to 25GB discs. From the looks of it, Sony would have to develop an entirely new type of reflective alloy not based on silver, copper, or gold to get around this, or start using pure silver or gold perhaps(imagine the cost of those discs).

Even if Sony reaches an agreement with Target Tech, it would still impact Blu-ray. The patents in question were just issued in 2004, so any licensing would have to occur for essentially the entire life of BD. So once again, it would be another licensing fee that is attached to every disc sold, adding to the cost of BD disc. Depending on how much Target Tech wants, it may only slow the rate of a price decrease for BD, or it could actually cause an increase in the price of a BD disc.

From a PR standpoint, it also ties Sony up in an ugly public battle (Big Sony is stealing from the little guy) and raises questions among the general public as to the fate of Blu-ray disc (will an injunction be issued that threatens the survivability of the format).

The Main Event said:

Don't have any comments to add, but another lawsuit to Sony by Target Technology over the coating on Blu-ray discs:

See guys, Sony does steal their ideas from everyone else :lol

I'm sorry, but I'm glad that Sony is finally getting bit in the ass for ripping off everyone else.

[quietly steps out of the room]

-and I doubt this will really end up hurting Blu-Ray.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I guess the Disney CEO has never heard the term "self-fulfilling prophecy" before.

rubso

Banned
wow at the guys who wants "more" reliable sources on comparisons, dudez, even if I bring Amir over here at NeoGAF and let him say HD-DVD is superior, you will consider him a moron, a troller, etc...

Raistlin

rubso said:
wow at the guys who wants "more" reliable sources on comparisons, dudez, even if I bring Amir over here at NeoGAF and let him say HD-DVD is superior, you will consider him a moron, a troller, etc...

What part of the technical FACTS are you having problems grasping?

STFU

Ryu1999

rubso said:

Yes, bringing in Amir, one of the guys who wrote the VC-1 codec FOR MICROSOFT. i'm sure he won't be biased
rolleyes2.gif

Argyle

My take on the whole VC-1/AVC debate - I think you'll get similar results out of them but AVC has more "headroom" from what I gather...AVC's mission was "best results with the smallest file, CPU cost of decode is no object" whereas VC-1's mission was "good results with a small file, with lower CPU requirements than AVC"...given the design goals of the two codecs, I don't really believe all the BS on AVSForum. So, for now, the encoders might not be as sophisticated on the AVC side (after all the encoders are where the real magic happens) but I think there are a lot of companies pouring R&D into it (worldwide, more people seem to use AVC than VC-1) so I think they will catch up with and surpass VC-1 if they haven't already.

Honestly if you throw enough bits at it any of the three codecs will get the job done. It's just that there aren't enough bits on the disc to make MPEG2 feasible on HD DVD...but a high bitrate MPEG2 encode will still look pretty damn nice. (And high bitrate VC-1 and AVC is pretty damn impressive. :) )

But, that's an outsider's viewpoint, so take it with a grain of salt. :) I'm amazed that there are codec fanboys like rdjam over there - but then again, I guess we have GPU and CPU fanboys, which I find silly as well...

rubso

Banned
Onix said:
What part of the technical FACTS are you having problems grasping?

STFU
FACTS? :lol you don't get it, do you? Please, GTFO of my INTERNETS.
Yes, bringing in Amir, one of the guys who wrote the VC-1 codec FOR MICROSOFT. i'm sure he won't be biased
who isn't biased these days? take Onix as an example.

lol2.jpg

*this picture describes it all* :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
rubso - Bluray *is* technically superior to HD-DVD. It has exactly the same codec support, but it has higher storage capacity and higher bitrate ceilings.

You cannot argue that it is technically more capable.

You *could* argue that bluray as a specification is still not finalised, that profile 1.1 may cause some issues with earlier players, and that earlier discs were poor in relation to HDDVD. But those are different issues.

rubso said:

Seriously you're completely clueless. You talk about MPEG2 in BD as if it's the standard when it's the exception in the recent releases, you link us to a worthless article that claims that True HD is superior in audio to PCM :)lol) and you defend as objective Amir who worked for Microsoft. Your utter ignorance is becoming annoying.

The Main Event said:

More wishful thinking from AVS, they're quite desperate now... Btw how does this has anything to do with what the previous article said (that BD's victory in europe is clear)? It's a patent dispute it'll eventually be cleared and it certainly won't affect sales. Do you honestly think Sony will stop producing BD because of this?

And FYI the actual article doesn't mention all the fud you quoted.

womfalcs3

Banned
Blu-ray will have the following exclusives:

- The Da Vinci Code
- Spider-Man 3 (4 to 6 too if they do go that far as currently planned)
- The Fantastic Four series
- The Pirates of the Caribbean series
- Ghost Rider
- The X-Men Series
- All the other Disney movies

And many many other blockbusters

The quote from Mana sums up my thinking on the position entirely.

And TAJ, yes, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. That's how these things work. How else would a format war be resolved?

The comic is accurate in that rubso is indeed getting his ass kicked, argument-wise.
:lol

The other thing I want to note is, if you look across the globe, the only place there is really a format war is in the United States. In other markets where next-gen DVD is starting to penetrate, Blu-ray is winning, and substantially; so much so there isn&#8217;t even a perceived format war.

Lol, that comment just a few weeks after Media Control announced that HD DVD has a marketshare of more than 70% in Germany :lol

Argyle

fortified_concept said:
Seriously you're completely clueless. You talk about MPEG2 in BD as if it's the standard when it's the exception in the recent releases, you link us to a worthless article that claims that True HD is superior in audio to PCM :)lol) and you defend as objective Amir who worked for Microsoft. Your utter ignorance is becoming annoying.

It's worse that just "worked" - Amir IS the corporate vice president of the division of Microsoft that created VC-1. Of all people - what do you expect him to tell you? :)

Don't get me wrong, Amir sounds like a nice guy, his product is good, and he occasionally will lend some interesting insight, but you can't ignore his obvious agenda :)

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Frankfurter said:
Lol, that comment just a few weeks after Media Control announced that HD DVD has a marketshare of more than 70% in Germany :lol

If some are mocking and deriding the absolute numbers that are sold by BD and HD-DVD in America, I'd hate to see Germany's numbers.

Oni Jazar

I think the single greatest thing we can do right now is to not waffle, but to be very, very blunt about it, to continue our support of Blu-ray because we sense a real advantage. The best thing that could happen is for the format war to end, which will be very pro-consumer, particularly as hardware comes down.

Bravo Disney.

Now here's Fox:

"By the way, while we're talking HD format support, we've spoken once more with reps from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, who say in no uncertain terms that their studio is NOT wavering in its support of Blu-ray Disc, despite the continued delay of those catalog BD titles (from both Fox and MGM) that were first announced at CES in January. Some of our other industry sources have informed us that work IS ongoing on additional, as-yet-unannounced catalog titles for BD release from both studios, which seems to confirm Fox's on-the-record statements to us. Given this, we do fully expect all of these titles to be rescheduled and announced for release in the weeks ahead. We would certainly expect Fox to have something more substantial to say on the subject at the EMA Expo in July, if not sooner. Rest assured, we will post the official details here as soon as they're available"

http://www.digitalbits.com/#unineut

womfalcs3 said:
Blu-ray will have the following exclusives:

- The Da Vinci Code
- Spider-Man 3 (4 to 6 too if they do go that far as currently planned)
- The Fantastic Four series
- The Pirates of the Caribbean series
- Ghost Rider
- The X-Men Series
- All the other Disney movies

And many many other blockbusters

You forgot Poland.... er The MUTHA FARKING STAR WARS (including the new tv series), JAMES BOND, DIE HARD, Franchises.

Wulfer

UPDATE FROM HELLFIRE360 on Xbox.com

360 HD PLAYER UPDATE HITS NEXT WEEK

1. less than a week
2. yes your player should update itself if you're signed into live and attempt to play an hddvd. if you don't have a live connection, you should be able to download and burn the update to a cdrom.
3. as far as we can tell, we've fixed the problem to the point our a/v sync is better than the current toshiba firmware. so if there are subsequent issues, they'll most likely be content authoring problems.
4. i'll post on these forums, but majornelson.com as well as xbox.com will probably call it out as well.

thanks for your patience!

http://forums.xbox.com/5/12351638/ShowPost.aspx#12351499

Crayon Shinchan said:

BV is releasing their titles on Blu Ray in Japan. HD-DVD only in North America at the moment, but their last press release said they'd be rethinking that strategy.

jjasper

Got my copy of the fountain yesterday, haven't watched all of it yet but from what I have seen the PQ is pretty soft and it seems to have some banding issues.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DarkJediKnight said:
Does this update also fix the tray open error? Everytime I press eject on the HD DVD drive remote, the 360's tray opens. Same goes for closing as well.

Isn't it the same remote that was packed in with xbox 360's at launch? I never figured it was specifically for the HD DVD drive, because yeah, that's pretty annoying. I don't know how they'd fix that and give the option of which tray to open.

wasting

Banned
VanMardigan said:
Isn't it the same remote that was packed in with xbox 360's at launch? I never figured it was specifically for the HD DVD drive, because yeah, that's pretty annoying. I don't know how they'd fix that and give the option of which tray to open.

It isnt the packin remote, its the "media remote" it retails for like $20 now and it was never "the hd dvd remote". its the xbox system remote, for opening the xbox drive and playing dvds and with wmc, not the addon. I highly doubt this update will fix that.

By the way, Universal just hit a little over 100 HD DVD titles, currently available and to pre-order.

Warner Bros has 76 for HD DVD, 53 for Blu-Ray
Sony has 72 for Blu-Ray
Paramount has 27 on HD DVD, 28 on Blu-Ray
Disney/BuenaVista has 18 on Blu-Ray

Brofist

The Main Event said:
By the way, Universal just hit a little over 100 HD DVD titles, currently available and to pre-order.

Warner Bros has 76 for HD DVD, 53 for Blu-Ray
Sony has 72 for Blu-Ray
Paramount has 27 on HD DVD, 28 on Blu-Ray
Disney/BuenaVista has 18 on Blu-Ray

So basically HD-DVD is already getting close to being tapped for exclusive content while BD has barely scratched the surface.

mackaveli

The Main Event said:
List of titles available worldwide already released and coming soon to HD DVD:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29769511&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

List of titles available worldwide already released and coming soon to Blu-ray:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29769511&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

anyone here know anything about The Island on Blu-ray and when its coming out? I hope this baby is region free so i can watch Scarlett in some 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom