• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODIN SPHERE (Atlus/Vanillaware) thread of Unlimited Awesome (MUST SEE)

uh, wait till the game comes out before you consign it to death. Its entirely worth playing, just to see what gaming could have been had we not been suckered into the 3d revolution.

duckroll

51W5S6T278L._SS500_.jpg
414XGCARFDL._SS500_.jpg

dog$

Hates quality gaming
PepsimanVsJoe said:
it's sounding more and more like Princess Crown part deux(Now with insta-kills!) and that's not a good thing.
Why isn't it? PC2 is basically all I really expected from this game to begin with.

Besides, those who purchase this game support true 2D console, non-handheld gaming. That's almost reason enough to buy it in and of itself.

tmaynard

dillenger said:
I really don't like the direction this thread has suddenly taken. :'(

Yep, in a matter of three posts it went in the complete opposite direction. I'm still going to get it, but hopefully others don't come in the thread and confirm the game's doom.

dog$ said:
Why isn't it? PC2 is basically all I really expected from this game to begin with.

I assumed that this team would try fixing the problems that were in PC1 but instead they added new ones.

And hell I'm all for supporting 2D gaming, course if the games aren't any good then what's the point?

Not saying Princess Crown is a bad game but when you have such a brilliant team and you go ahead and make all these lame-brained design decisions that hold the game back from true greatness, well...damn. Odin Sphere looks to follow that same route and to me that's really disheartening.

Tokubetsu

dillenger said:
I really don't like the direction this thread has suddenly taken. :'(

Same but I'm still going to get it. Every thread tends to take a turn for the worse though, especially when it's closer to release...*remembers okami official thread*

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah guys, this game sucks. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is better game.

I think it's inevitable that there's gonna be some backlash due to the hyping (be it from a thread like this, that recent episode of the 1up Show, whatever) but at the same time I don't care, Odin Sphere looks like it'll be an awesome game.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Has there been any game release in ...well, ever that some sect of jaded gamers didn't find disappointing? Odin Sphere won't be any different. I expect a good game that should entertain me despite its flaws. That you have to start over from scratch whenever you pick one of the other characters doesn't surprise me either.

I pre-ordered Odin Sphere today. I like the way it looks and that alone was enough for me to give it a chance and draw my own conclusions.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
duckroll said:
Nah, after the poor reviews and critical backlash, they've decided to wrap it all up.

I heard Vanillaware is shutting down actually. Just too much to bare. The game has been slammed left and right, and no one gives a shit. 2D is truly dead.

Damn bitches, calm down.

If there's one thing I know, it's GAF DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT VIDEO GAMES™!

Keep being excited about Odinsphere, or turn in your thinking caps at the door for the dullardry of Capbomb of the Week /Gears of War/ FPS of the Month worship.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
gaf complains about the most ridiculous bs you could ever imagine, I stopped bothering with impressions here. I just have this list of people which basically have the same tastes in games I do and those are the impressions I generally go with.

Jirotrom

Kintaro said:
I heard Vanillaware is shutting down actually. Just too much to bare. The game has been slammed left and right, and no one gives a shit. 2D is truly dead.
where was this game slammed...famitsu gave it a 9,9,7,7, correct?

Skilletor

Jirotrom said:
where was this game slammed...famitsu gave it a 9,9,7,7, correct?

Sarcasm is hard to catch through text :(. :p

CO_Andy said:
I have yet to hear any negatives. Someone point them out.

Early reviews and previews have been overwhelmingly positive inspiring a few people to hate on it because not enough people seem to want to.

Going against the grain is so awesome.

CO_Andy

MidgarBlowedUp said:
I canceled my thought about pre-ordering yesterday.
Some of you sure are anal bout the slightest imperfections. I say it doesn't hurt to support a developer that spent 10 years developing a single game.

Victrix

*beard*
CO_Andy said:
Some of you sure are anal bout the slightest imperfections. I say it doesn't hurt to support a developer that spent 10 years developing a single game.

I say if it took them ten years, they could fix the load times

... but I'll hdload it, so yeah, purchase :p

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
CO_Andy said:

Are you serious? ODIN SPHERE took 10 years???

I find it hard to believe because most of the "sprites" were just 3D models captured and then "animated" to look the way it does.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hcoregamer00 said:
Are you serious? ODIN SPHERE took 10 years???

I find it hard to believe because most of the "sprites" were just 3D models captured and then "animated" to look the way it does.

Or close to. The only game Vanillaware has made since Princess Crown is Grim Grimoire, and that came out April 26th.

Skilletor

I thought it said in the PLAY! interview that development time was only 2 years, maybe a little more. The reason it's been 10 years since Princess Crown was because nobody wanted to take the guy's projects, so he (Mr. Kamitami) eventually started Vanillaware.

Something like that, anyway.

Edit: Development started in September of 2004.

duckroll

What sacarsm? This game is a failure and a flop. They should have stuck to 3D. I can't wrap my head around this sidescrolling nonsense.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:
What sacarsm? This game is a failure and a flop. They should have stuck to 3D. I can't wrap my head around this sidescrolling nonsense.
Im waiting for speevy's "why is OS a sidescrolling game?!" thread personally

lucius

I jumped in also preordered from Gamestop. Too much 2d goodness for me to miss out on the 1up video convinced me the most.

tmaynard

duckroll said:

I'm kinda confused. Didn't you make this thread? Now you are completely against the game? How much experience have you had actually playing the game and what was the number one thing to make you start hating it?

Cedille

What makes this thread leaning toward supreme negativity? Either way, from what I've watched via Peercast, the loading time isn't so long in many cases (2-4 secs on average).

I refuse to believe the naysayers in this thread. I'll still buy the game, even if its just to support Vanillaware/Atlus/creativity. Fro my perspective, the game still looks great and I'll be sure to form my own opinion after I've beaten the game on my own time and terms. And even if it's shit, I'll still be able to sell in on Ebay for bucket loads of cash in 5 year's time.

duckroll

tmaynard said:
I'm kinda confused. Didn't you make this thread? Now you are completely against the game? How much experience have you had actually playing the game and what was the number one thing to make you start hating it?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

When sacarsm gets waay too thick, it's confusing!

Top Bottom