• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODIN SPHERE (Atlus/Vanillaware) thread of Unlimited Awesome (MUST SEE)

sp0rsk said:
Now that I'm done with ouendan 2 I can give you guys some brief impressions.

1. Yes HD loader works.
2. This game is fully voiced. If a character says it, no matter how minor, he has a voice.
3. The music, voice acting and everything AV about this game is perfect.
4. Main character is awesome. Fans of VP will probably like her. I.E. Dragona
5. You can select your difficulty at the very beginning of the game, 1 star up to 3, I picked 2, it is rather difficult. You're gonna be healing a lot.
6. Combat is frantic, but sometimes I wish I could cancel an attack for the guard, but I guess thats why they make healing so important.
7. Your own magic can damage you.
8. Gliding around is fun
9. I wish I could check the map outside of exit marks
10. This game rocks. All hail Vanillaware.

There are 5 main characters - each one very different from each other.

Jonnyram

sp0rsk said:
You can! :p

Man, the second boss fight is intense. I finished it with 4HP left.
I've already wasted two mulberry seeds, unfortunately, by planting in areas with no phozon. Oops. You shouldn't do that... they need phozon to grow. I picked one star because I'm a pussy - it's still quite hard like this. God that boss was huge, and when it starts running across the map... :O

Even without HD loader, the load times don't really annoy at all. They're so quick so far. And yeah, I'm playing on the PS3 - maybe that's why loading is fast? I miss the rumble though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jonnyram said:
You can! :p

Man, the second boss fight is intense. I finished it with 4HP left.
I've already wasted two mulberry seeds, unfortunately, by planting in areas with no phozon. Oops. You shouldn't do that... they need phozon to grow. I picked one star because I'm a pussy - it's still quite hard like this. God that boss was huge, and when it starts running across the map... :O

Even without HD loader, the load times don't really annoy at all. They're so quick so far. And yeah, I'm playing on the PS3 - maybe that's why loading is fast? I miss the rumble though.

Damn, my store isn't selling copies until tomorrow. This is killing me. :(

sp0rsk said:
Now that I'm done with ouendan 2 I can give you guys some brief impressions.

1. Yes HD loader works.
2. This game is fully voiced. If a character says it, no matter how minor, he has a voice.
3. The music, voice acting and everything AV about this game is perfect.
4. Main character is awesome. Fans of VP will probably like her. I.E. Dragona
5. You can select your difficulty at the very beginning of the game, 1 star up to 3, I picked 2, it is rather difficult. You're gonna be healing a lot.
6. Combat is frantic, but sometimes I wish I could cancel an attack for the guard, but I guess thats why they make healing so important.
7. Your own magic can damage you.
8. Gliding around is fun
10. This game rocks. All hail Vanillaware.

HD Loader working is great to hear, but if it does seem to load fairly quick anyway I'll be playing it on my PS3. HDMI baby! And from the Game Almighty review slowdown seems to mainly occur during boss fights. The only real complaint they seemed to have was loading screens, which honestly doesn't bother me too much.

So does this thing have 16:9 and/or 480p support?

duckroll

These are still not my scans (tomorrow!) but man, the original designs for the characters were pretty bad, they were like N1 characters. Glad that got changed! :lol

TreIII

duckroll said:
These are still not my scans (tomorrow!) but man, the original designs for the characters were pretty bad, they were like N1 characters. Glad that got changed! :lol

Gwen and Mercedes, I can understand. But I happen to like that more "exotic" looking Velvet from the drawing board version, because she looks a bit more appealing, in my eyes.

It would be interesting if the game had some sort of "bonus" feature where you got play with the characters' "concept" versions as some sort of "new costume" option...

Jonnyram

OK, you really get owned in this games if you don't use items.
Played a lot last night and have started the "magic mix" stuff. My inventory gets full rather quickly, so I have to use a lot of items. My favourites right now are the foods that give you a little bit of HP back but lots of HP exp. Yum. I also like the way it handles death... very refreshing.

Rekki-Maru said:
more impressions please. :)

I own vagrant story, in the 1up review i think someone said it felt kinda like that game, does it?
I thought they were just talking about the music? From what I've heard, so far, it sounds very much like Vagrant Story.

strwrsxprt said:
Just noticed the first online review pop up on metacritic. Game Almighty gave it an 8.8 and I guess a couple of their awards:

http://www.gamealmighty.com/game-review/review/Odin_Sphere_Review/
Where do I know you from? EDIT: Ahaha, oh my god! VGM-Central! :D

U K Narayan said:
I thought they were just talking about the music? From what I've heard, so far, it sounds very much like Vagrant Story.

ok thanks, but I was hoping someone who has the game would know. :)

Seraph830

Banned
I like to only bring out the big words when its absolutly fits. ;)

sorry i fail at english :(

EDIT: PS why is GAF resizing my small gif image to be huge? I dont wanna get banned :(
EDIT2: NVM, changed it back in fear of ban.

Seraph830 said:
This game is verbatim like Ragnarok Battle Offline.

9013.jpg

what?

Seraph830

Banned
Jonnyram said:
OK, there is an action element, but that is where the comparison ends. You do know what "verbatim" means, right?
Have you even played Ragnarok Battle Offline?

Same exact forumula, down to the sprite animation technique.

Odin Sphere
OS.jpg

Ragnarok Battle Offline
RBO.jpg

Both side scrolling RPG's where you pull off different moves and combos on many enemies. They both have that crude darkened "mini map" of the battle field so you know where the enemies are. In both games you beat up a little round of enemies on the current field, then it says "stage cleared" and you get to move onto the next one.

both of them even use the same animation technique that makes them look like paper cutouts connected at the joints with pins. granted OS's sprite work is ALOT more detailed and have sprites to enable full turning, but its still the same style which is really evident on arms and legs (especially on enemy units).

here is the animation i'm talking about
RBO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsUaeSyNKqs
Odin Sphere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewIpxRcJJwU

They have differences yes, but I really dont think im "not even close" when making the comparison. RBO was the first thing i thought when i saw OS, and considering how sweet RBO is, i cant wait to play OS.

Jonnyram

Seraph830 said:
They have differences yes, but I really dont think im "not even close" when making the comparison. RBO was the first thing i thought when i saw OS, and considering how sweet RBO is, i cant wait to play OS.
Excuse me, but you're the clown who came into this topic saying it's a verbatim copy. It's not... it plays nothing like it. You don't just hack, hack, hack. You'll die straight away on easy level if that's all you're doing. Odin Sphere is all about items. I also thought the same as you about the animation when watching preview videos, but in the flesh it is far, far smoother. But what makes it stand out further is its story. There are five characters, each with their own scenario, and all scenarios intertwine with and complement each other.

The comparison with RBO is insulting, because RBO is just a hack'n'slash game and lacks 90% of what makes Odin Sphere so good. The fact that you had the balls to use the word "verbatim" is what gave your post the ultimate shit-stained gloss. How about you play Odin Sphere before posting such demeaning crap.

Kintaro said:
I heard Vanillaware is shutting down actually. Just too much to bare. The game has been slammed left and right, and no one gives a shit. 2D is truly dead.
I thought they were developing Grimgrimoire--which is coming out in the summer.

duckroll

WOO HOO! I got my copy. The art book is so ****ing awesome I think I'm just going to keep reading it and not play the game!! YAY!!!! :D :D :D

Seraph830

Banned
Jonnyram said:
it plays nothing like it. You don't just hack, hack, hack. You'll die straight away on easy level if that's all you're doing. Odin Sphere is all about items. I also thought the same as you about the animation when watching preview videos, but in the flesh it is far, far smoother. But what makes it stand out further is its story.
so now im "not even close" when comparing the two because Odin Sphere has items and storyline.

Sorry looks exactly like the hack hack hack gameplay of RBO, with the addition of an item use every now and then and a cutscene between stages. RBO's gameplay looks exactly like princess crown if that makes you feel any better.

way to take my "verbatim" statement so serious. it was just my way to describe a game that has the exact same sprite technique, combat style and stage setup as a game I knew.

Seriously settle down. I didnt say OS copied RBO. I didnt say OS is going to suck by any means. No need to get insulting and jump all over me. :(

Jonnyram

Seraph830 said:
Seriously settle down. I didnt say OS copied RBO. I didnt say OS is going to suck by any means. No need to get insulting and jump all over me. :(
Sorry for snapping. You said verbatim. That means exact copy, and I replied that it's not even close (to being an exact copy). Things imploded from there, I lost my rag. No harm done. Don't worry about it :)

Seraph830

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Sorry for snapping. You said verbatim. That means exact copy, and I replied that it's not even close (to being an exact copy). Things imploded from there, I lost my rag. No harm done. Don't worry about it :)
:)

and in my defense, i have yet to play this awesome looking game. I just saw screenshots of a battle arena that looked like the way RBO did things, and when i saw the sprite animation styles were the same i drew a simple conclusion.

ill try not to be more sarcastic in the future :)

dili

What just happened here :/

Anyways I'd really like to hear some more impressions if anyone with the game has gotten any farther. :D

duckroll

Okay, I played a little. It's great. Blahblahblah, no point repeating impressions... BUT.... I think Game Informer needs a new PS2. The loading that we saw in their videos? I get about 1/3 that on my -launch JP PS2- so something must be horribly wrong with theirs, or the preview built was screwed up. The loading is literally like 2-3 seconds tops, maybe 5 seconds for a major scene with tons of characters. Really surprising especially after watching those videos. :D

dili

duckroll said:
Okay, I played a little. It's great. Blahblahblah, no point repeating impressions... BUT.... I think Game Informer needs a new PS2. The loading that we saw in their videos? I get about 1/3 that on my -launch JP PS2- so something must be horribly wrong with theirs, or the preview built was screwed up. The loading is literally like 2-3 seconds tops, maybe 5 seconds for a major scene with tons of characters. Really surprising especially after watching those videos. :D
Nce!

I was begining to get worried after seeing them complain about the loading in the 1up show,but they did admit it was just a preview build. So then that doesen't seem to be a problem in the final game. Awesome news indeed. :D

Aaron

duckroll said:
If the preview build was on a CDR, it's easy for it to have longer load times just on the way it was burned. You can't judge something like that on anything but a pressed copy.

duckroll

Some things I've noticed about the gameplay:

- The action is very, very 2D. In every sense of the term, it's a strict and unforgiving precise action gameplay system. There are recovery frames, specifically timed combos and very precise accuracy is required when attacking enemies higher than you are.

- The game really feels more like a 2D fighter than a pure beat-em-up. There are some very good mechanics that also make the game pretty damn challenging.

- As Jonnyram mentioned, items make or break your game. BUT I'll also like to add that it -is- possible to play well without relying on items, but it's really, really challenging. The items make the game more accessible and fair to all players.

- Items aren't a braindead gamebreaker either, because you need to strategically know when to use your items, what position and time to best use an offensive item or when to plant seeds in battle knowing that there'll be enough Phozon to grow the fruits, etc.

- While there's zero platforming in the game, the bosses all have several patterns and weaknesses that can be exploited, but if you mess up there can be hell to pay. Not only are the attacks damaging, but the graphics are so good they can be really intimidating too. :lol

Jonnyram

CO_Andy said:
So what happens after you're game over?
You are taken back to an area on the current map, retaining your stats, and without the items you just used. It's pretty friendly in that way. Also, you can save anywhere, pretty much, and if you save in a place that's hard to get out of, you can revert back to a safe area, with a menu option.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Seraph830 said:
so now im "not even close" when comparing the two because Odin Sphere has items and storyline.

Sorry looks exactly like the hack hack hack gameplay of RBO, with the addition of an item use every now and then and a cutscene between stages. RBO's gameplay looks exactly like princess crown if that makes you feel any better.

way to take my "verbatim" statement so serious. it was just my way to describe a game that has the exact same sprite technique, combat style and stage setup as a game I knew.

This is such an understatement. Like, you really should play the game before you talk shit.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jonnyram said:
You are taken back to an area on the current map, retaining your stats, and without the items you just used. It's pretty friendly in that way. Also, you can save anywhere, pretty much, and if you save in a place that's hard to get out of, you can revert back to a safe area, with a menu option.

It works the same way in medium difficulty btw.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Just played through the first hour of the NA version, which is harder than I had expected. Not having a manual makes it even tougher and I'm still getting used to the controls.

I don't see what issues folks may be having with the load times. It's pretty quick between levels.

Gonna get up early tomorrow and put in a few more hours before work. This shit is gorgeous.

Cedille

Yeah, this game is pretty hard. It takes 2 hours to beat a boss, but it seems after we learn about effectiveness of drugs, everything turns out to be easy.

Top Bottom