• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODIN SPHERE (Atlus/Vanillaware) thread of Unlimited Awesome (MUST SEE)

Lyte Edge said:
Well to be fair, I am just talking looks...animation is another story. :)

Naturally, it will never look as awesome as a game that has fully drawn animations for every move.

That said, it looks MUCH better running in person on a tv than it does in the videos that have been shown.

I think I'll be putting down a pre-order for the US release today :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
GREATLY looking forward to this game. Not sure when Amazon will ship it to me, but I'm not too concerned, since I have Atlus' other May gem in my hands already.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Robobandit said:
Naturally, it will never look as awesome as a game that has fully drawn animations for every move.

That said, it looks MUCH better running in person on a tv than it does in the videos that have been shown.

I think I'll be putting down a pre-order for the US release today :)

Yes, yes it does. It looks oh so nice.

I think I'm going to end up buying the English version too. I must support such awesomeness as much as I can.

And with fully voiced-dialogue for everything and such amazing visuals, this game could have easily been released on the PS3 or Xbox 360...it's like a "next-gen game" has been crammed into a PS2 disc. :)

Duke Togo

I'm still devastated that the Japanese version has no English text/voice options. I might just have to snag a $120 ps2 just to play this gem.

colinp

Banned
I'm sure it was previously talked about, but I picked up the May issue of Play magazine today with OS on the cover. Just wanted to say it was a good read, and recommend any other fans pick it up if they haven't already.

Also, has an OS soundtrack been released yet?

mr_nothin

Banned
Trust me, this game doesnt disappoint. Dont listen to the reviews....
Its awesome, once you get the feel of it...its so new and refreshing.

Im still looking forward to the USA release cause i cant read japanese...so im not trying to get too far into the game.

duckroll

Just made it to the final chapter of Valkyrie. Mmmmmmmmm. Over 8 hours clocked now, even if the game ended right after Valkyrie, I think it would be a very impressive game. The fact that there are 4 more characters is play is just that much more impressive. :D

i am interested in this game now. answer these questions for me friends!

1. seems like this game is similar to that one saturn beat-em-up by treasure. that true?
2. how long is the game?
3. what is the premise of the game?
4. will it ever come out on 360? i'd prefer to wait if it were, if not i will cave in

duckroll

FrenchMovieTheme said:
1. seems like this game is similar to that one saturn beat-em-up by treasure. that true?

No, it's not like Guardian Heroes really. The gameplay is more precise, and less mash-friendly, and there's no multiplayer. It also does not have a branching storyline like Guardian Heroes has. It's one long linear story instead. I would say it feels much more like a Genesis-era beat them up, something that isn't blazing fast, but it's remotely slow either, and with patterns and precision that makes it pretty challenging.

2. how long is the game?

Probably at least 50+ hours.

3. what is the premise of the game?

Wagner's Ring Cycle with anime style character designs and a reimagined worldview by Kamitani.

4. will it ever come out on 360? i'd prefer to wait if it were, if not i will cave in

Errr no.

Jirotrom said:
Just a few more days until more PS2 goodness. I love my ps2.

Oh I know. My heart flutters and then skips a beat when I think I'll be playing Odin Sphere in just a few short days. I haven't been this excited about a game since... Final Fantasy X, and I'm a huge FF fanboy.

duckroll

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Okay, the game's been running pretty great so far. But the boss in the final chapter of Valkyrie takes the cake for slowdown. It's like 2fps when you're up close and slashing away most of the time. Wtf. :lol :lol :lol

Doctor_No

duckroll said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Okay, the game's been running pretty great so far. But the boss in the final chapter of Valkyrie takes the cake for slowdown. It's like 2fps when you're up close and slashing away most of the time. Wtf. :lol :lol :lol

That boss gets insane slowdown; even in other books using different characters. But I love the design of the boss though. . . :)
big breasts & bones

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
duckroll said:

That's not slowdown, that's "Epic Time." OS' brand of bullet time. It's on purpose!

Cedille

duckroll said:
The fact that there are 4 more characters is play is just that much more impressive. :D

Maybe you'll be disappointed or bored, since IIRC
4 of 5 bosses the 2nd character is going to fight with is the same as the 1st

duckroll

Cedille said:
Maybe you'll be disappointed or bored, since IIRC
4 of 5 bosses the 2nd character is going to fight with is the same as the 1st

You mean as opposed to playing Aliens vs Predator with different characters where
the ENTIRE game is the same?
:p

klee123

Well, I've preordered the US version and the JPN version with artbook and phone card should arrive hopefully next week. I seriously can't wait.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hmm I don't know if I'd be comparing Odin Sphere to a BEU like Aliens Vs. Predator. Since you can also move from right or left, it's almost akin to Magic Sword...but only a tiny bit.

duckroll

Lyte Edge said:
Hmm I don't know if I'd be comparing Odin Sphere to a BEU like Aliens Vs. Predator. Since you can also move from right or left, it's almost akin to Magic Sword...but only a tiny bit.

The nature of the scroll doesn't matter though. It's about how enjoyable beating enemies up is. As long as the characters have their own set of moves, spells and animations, it shouldn't bother anyone who's had fun with BEUs as long as it's fun. I've been replaying areas with Gwendolyne just to get materials to make food and stuff, and it's never felt boring to me.

Cedille

duckroll said:
You mean as opposed to playing Aliens vs Predator with different characters where
the ENTIRE game is the same?
:p

Not sure if
the entire game is the same
, since I'm now playing the 4th character, but at this moment I have an impression that
we do almost the same thing, whoever the character is
. Still, I think this game is quite good.

duckroll

Yay, I beat Valkyrie. Just started on Pooka Prince. The story's really well done, and the characters rock. Cornelius has some interesting moves. While he's probably the most similar out of the 5 characters to Gwendolyne, without the block and gliding he's still a pretty unique character. The spin-attack makes for some interesting offensive and defense manuveres too.

Oh and for those wondering, it took me 9:35 hours to beat Valkyrie. :D The boss was a total slowdown-fest though. The final few hits I delivered so totally in super-slowmotion and I just didn't know if it was going to recover HP before I dealt the final blow. :lol

Doctor_No

Cedille said:
Not sure if
the entire game is the same
, since I'm now playing the 4th character, but at this moment I have an impression that
we do almost the same thing, whoever the character is
. Still, I think this game is quite good.

The game does reuse a lot of assets; it is the same events looked at through different character's perspectives. Clearly that aspect of the story telling and game are designed as a cost cutting measure (the game was made with only 14 people after all). I think there is going to be a lot of people of dislike that aspect of the game. However, at least personally, the story telling itself is compelling enough for me to continue to enjoy this game.

duckroll

Doctor_No said:
The game does reuse a lot of assets; it is the same events looked at through different character's perspectives. Clearly that aspect of the story telling and game are designed as a cost cutting measure (the game was made with only 14 people after all). I think there is going to be a lot of people of dislike that aspect of the game. However, at least personally, the story telling itself is compelling enough for me to continue to enjoy this game.

You know, I don't know. Was FFX-2 made by 14 people? Because it sure did the same thing! :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
very disappointed about slow downs, good visuals is cool and all but when it affects gameplay like that I dunno...

duckroll

pancakesandsex said:
wasnt princess crown done the same way?

Play through as the princess then you get other chars on subsequent plays?

Yeah, but I think you'll be pretty impressed with the way the story and characters are lined up and presented in Odin Sphere. :)

Avalon

The Frankman said:
Just got a copy for review, hopefully the game is as good as the hype I've read. . . I played Spidey 3 on PS2 :-(

Why would you hold them to the same standard? Pretty easy to see that Spidey 3 is licensed garbage that was just made to cash in on the movie.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
pancakesandsex said:
wasnt princess crown done the same way?

Play through as the princess then you get other chars on subsequent plays?
Yeah, I didn't like that, nor did I play through the game again even though I had just gotten dark Gradriel. Luckily from the impressions and videos Odin Sphere seems to expand on PC and so much more that I won't be able to put it down.

duckroll

I don't think it's fair to compare OS with PC directly. Yes, it's a spiritual sequel in every sense of the word. Which simply means Kamitani and Atlus wanted to have another go at the formula. But the similarities end there. The biggest similarity both games have are on purely visual and artistic levels, the gameplay has changed so much and many systems and elements have be added/changed/improved upon, etc. Come on, PC was released over ten years ago! :lol

I'll admit that yes, for some people (many people?) the game might feel repetative after finishing the first character. Backgrounds, enemies, bosses, etc are repeated as the story requires, etc. But I'll say this to Odin Sphere's credit - the game is FUN. I think what is most telling about Princess Crown's lack of replayability is that the game simply isn't that fun. It's pretty, the systems were interesting and unique, but the combat wasn't really that fun and there were many design choices that bogged the game down. Odin Sphere is fun, and unless you sit for 10 hours a day playing it, it doesn't get boring.

The game is designed to be played at a certain pace, so as long as you do a chapter or two a day, I don't think the majority of people will get sick of it. The story scenes keep your interest, the gameplay is fast and entertaining, and there's always something interesting to look forward to. Items are even more important in Odin Sphere than in Princess Crown as well, so the fact that recipes ALL carry over when you start new books makes the game much easier right from the start even if you're level 1 again. You don't feel that you're being "gimped" so the speak.

duckroll said:
Yeah, but I think you'll be pretty impressed with the way the story and characters are lined up and presented in Odin Sphere. :)

Based on the impressions so far, it seems like the story plays out similar to the way things were presented in Musou games, only with far fewer characters. You play through the same story, or parts of that story with multiple chars focusing on a different perspective each time. Thats more of a basic gist of things though, I understand its more complex than that, but it seemed like a good comparison to make. I'm wondering how much of a shift in the timelines there are between chars. if any. Is the final boss always the same? etc.

duckroll

pancakesandsex said:
Based on the impressions so far, it seems like the story plays out similar to the way things were presented in Musou games, only with far fewer characters. You play through the same story, or parts of that story with multiple chars focusing on a different perspective each time. Thats more of a basic gist of things though, I understand its more complex than that, but it seemed like a good comparison to make. I'm wondering how much of a shift in the timelines there are between chars. if any. Is the final boss always the same? etc.

It's kinda like Musou, except it's much tighter, and there's no overall "story" so the speak. Which means the entire game is not revolving around one singular event like in Musou, but instead each story is much more personalized but each fills in more information about the worldview, the over-aching story, etc. The timelines are never the same, and more importantly, when you beat all five characters, there's space at the bottom of the timeline in the game for the real finale.

duckroll said:
It's kinda like Musou, except it's much tighter, and there's no overall "story" so the speak. Which means the entire game is not revolving around one singular event like in Musou, but instead each story is much more personalized but each fills in more information about the worldview, the over-aching story, etc. The timelines are never the same, and more importantly, when you beat all five characters, there's space at the bottom of the timeline in the game for the real finale.

Thats kinda the direction i was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I wouldn't really call Guardian Heroes a mash-friendly game...It's easy to get chopped up on the hard setting.

I don't know why people mention difficulties other than the default one. That's a common thing to say about Dynasty Warriors as well. "This game doesn't suck because if you put it on the hardest mode the enemies might actually try to attack you!".

DarknessTear said:
I don't know why people mention difficulties other than the default one. That's a common thing to say about Dynasty Warriors as well. "This game doesn't suck because if you put it on the hardest mode the enemies might actually try to attack you!".

I could very well say Guardian Heroes isn't a mashfest on normal either. But on hard you'll get beaten to death. Dynasty Warriors games are pretty challenging even on normal so I'm not sure where you were trying to go with that one(and they definitely don't suck on any difficulty so please stop wasting my time).

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I could very well say Guardian Heroes isn't a mashfest on normal either. But on hard you'll get beaten to death. Dynasty Warriors games are pretty challenging even on normal so I'm not sure where you were trying to go with that one(and they definitely don't suck on any difficulty so please stop wasting my time).

:lol Quarrel ends here.

duckroll

Well, I specifically meant the combos and how you can continue and/or juggle with them. Odin Sphere allows you to combo but only so much, and it still leaves you very open in the process. You also take more damage and many enemies have attacks that can knock you back and/or stun you if you're not careful. Guardian Heroes isn't an easy game, but it does allow you to exploit combos more than Odin Sphere imo.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
DarknessTear said:
Quit clownin', maybe he's just better at you at those games. That is all, surely?

On topic: I will probably get this before I leave Japan, then get it again once it reaches European waters if (probably inevevitably) it pleases me :D

Top Bottom