• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODIN SPHERE (Atlus/Vanillaware) thread of Unlimited Awesome (MUST SEE)

duckroll

ARGH ****ING HARD. I'm trying to make my way through chapter 3 and MULTITUDES OF DEATH KEEPS ME FROM SUCCEEDING!!!! AHGRHAGRHAGHRAGH! :lol

duckroll said:
ARGH ****ING HARD. I'm trying to make my way through chapter 3 and MULTITUDES OF DEATH KEEPS ME FROM SUCCEEDING!!!! AHGRHAGRHAGHRAGH! :lol

Wait until
Book 6
- you'll stop playing guaranteed.

You have to fight a bunch of bosses in 6, but none of your characters will be strong enough or have enough items so you have to start each Book FROM SCRATCH. It's a reaaaaalllly cheap way to "extend" the game.
I'm sure most reviewers won't talk about this because it's towards the end (and I doubt any of them play that far).

Victrix

*beard*
Question about difficulty

I tend to prefer higher difficulties, but only if the game supports them well, and they're genuinely challenging, and not just lame pain in the ass unfun increases in monster hp/damage/etc

So, anyone playing on 3 stars, how does it feel? Is 1 the default? How's 2?

I played on 2 stars and it's pretty challenging.
Some boss battles (and some five star areas) will take many, many tries.
It's not like it's super cheap or anything, but yeah, I've had moments when I felt like throwing my controller against the wall.

No widescreen or 480p support.

Jonnyram

Ah, I just finished chapter 2... that part where it teaches you to mix materials was a big WTF. Man, the numbers go so high :)

Currently Level 14/12, and chapter 2's boss wasn't so tricky as a result.

One complaint I have... when you beat a boss boss, you lose any items you had on the field because you go straight to a cut scene. Just lost a couple of precious seeds thanks to that :(

Yeah, don't drop anything!

Don't worry though, there are so many seeds in this game. You'll eventually start to get rid of them just to clear inventory.

Doctor_No

Jonnyram said:
You are levelling your HP, aren't you? I love that seed that takes 8 phozon to grow. Then you eat the fruit (twice) and plant the seed again :)

Yeah, the Magul (sp?) plant, gives you like 120exp; pretty useful in the early part of the game.

Cedille

Jonnyram said:
You are levelling your HP, aren't you? I love that seed that takes 8 phozon to grow. Then you eat the fruit (twice) and plant the seed again :)

I didn't care about EXP that much... generally I rely on Heal medicine (HP+200) and Pain Killer medicine.

I think this is a very long game...maybe it takes 70 to 80 hours for me to beat it.

Cedille said:
I didn't care about EXP that much... generally I rely on Heal medicine (HP+200) and Pain Killer medicine.

I think this is a very long game...maybe it takes 50 to 60 hours to beat it.

Yeah that's about right 50 + hours to get through 5 Books. Then you have to kind of start from scratch to get prepped for the finale, so maybe an additional 5-10 hours.

Heal on the battlefield to survive and eat at the restaurants to increase HP - that's the way I do it.

Ravidrath

Just started this up today. The English voices are nice, and once you get into the groove it's pretty damned addictive. Not very far, and I can see it getting repetitive (or 'repetitious', if you write for review sites), but I'm really enjoying it so far.

I'm guessing no one but me has the Xploder HDTV disk for PS2 right?

I hope it works with the game.
If it does, and renders the proper 4:3 ratio, I'll let everyone know.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
game is loads of fun, but its one of those games that makes me really very frustrated when i get to a hard part.

duckroll

Okay, I cleared Chapter 3 after some major setbacks. The boss was giving me tons of trouble because he kept baiting me into not following his patterns to try and deal more damage, only to pwn me again and again. So I restarted the entire chapter retaining my stats and did it over again making better items and using what I learnt about the enemies to progress much faster. This enabled me to get to the boss well prepared and with full health instead of just barely making it through like the last time. The extra level I gained helped too, so I managed to win.

Here are some more thoughts:

- The game really remains me A LOT of a Genesis-era game in terms of animation detail, difficulty and balance.

- You deal a good amount of damage but the enemies do too.

- Evading will save your ass much more than mashing things through.

- Whenever I die (and that's quite often, but getting lesser now) I do feel it's my fault, even if I'm annoyed a little at times.

- Boss patterns rock. They've obvious, well presented, the attacks look cool and it's challenging.

- Items make or break you in the game. Unless you're an uber-skilled player who can perfectly time every single attack and evade everything the enemies throw at you, you're going to need to dig deeper into the item system to leverage the challenge.

- Kamitani wasn't kidding when he said the plot was very much based on Wagner's Ring Cycle. :D :D :D

Takuhi

Finally got the Odin Sphere rolling, and it is pretty damn great. Only at Chapter 3 myself and I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already, but I do want to reiterate that the loading time thing is a TOTAL NON-ISSUE. As duckroll said, three seconds is about the max and when you move from area to area within a stage it's more like one second. The load times are absolutely in line with PS2 standards and whatever reviewer mentioned that is dumb or needs to clean the laser on their PS2.

And the slowdown? Believe me, it's a gift. I wish there was more of it!

quick question, does the game use rumble a lot? Im wondering if I should use my PS3 controller or if I should go out and buy a PS2 controller converter

Can anyone tell me how large the save file is?

I have 2 memory cards and am running out on space on the last and I'd like to make it to the end of my PS2's life without having to buy another one.

Cedille

I think the boss battles of this game are actually not so challenging when we carry many medicines.

teruterubozu said:
Heal on the battlefield to survive and eat at the restaurants to increase HP - that's the way I do it.
Same here. I no longer grow seeds for fruits.

duckroll

ThirstyFly said:
Can anyone tell me how large the save file is?

I have 2 memory cards and am running out on space on the last and I'd like to make it to the end of my PS2's life without having to buy another one.

200kb per save.

Man, I'm here scanning select pages of the artbook for you guys at a friend's place and I brought my slim PS2 with Grim Grimoire and Odin Sphere so my friend could check them out. He found Grim Grimoire really pretty but he's not convinced about RTS on controllers, he's mostly a PC gamer. He's really enjoying Odin Sphere though. He's at the forest in chapter 2 now, and will probably finish it before I leave. Almost done scanning (sorry but I'm not scanning the entire book, just about 20 pages or so of nice stuff).

Doctor_No

Linkzg said:
quick question, does the game use rumble a lot? Im wondering if I should use my PS3 controller or if I should go out and buy a PS2 controller converter

Only placed I noticed the rumble was when the character has some status effect or tired, personally, I don't think its important for this game. I barely notice it.

duckroll

Cleared Chapter 4 of Valkyrie. Mmmmmmmm. Odin Sphere is everything I expected after Grim Grimoire, and more. Kamitani proves that he can design great games, draw great art AND write great stories. :D :D :D

I still need to head to Gamestop and pre-order this. I am so excited for it, Princess Crown was one of the first games I imported back in the day. Things have changed so much, back then I never would have believed a game like this would be released in the US and with such a fantastic localization.

Bebpo

Banned
Gave this a shot and played through chapter 1.

Eh...it's a good game and everyone should like it. But it's not my cup of tea and I think I'll just backlog it and play other stuff for now. It's not really rpg enough to satisfy my rpg-cravings, the controls aren't responsive enough to satisfy my action game cravings (compared to say the 2d Tales games), and it's just sorta stuck in a unique original game genre that's a bit a everything but for my personal tastes not enough of anything.

Nice 2d (if you like the artstyle), nice music, interesting battle mechanics, etc... but I think everyone else has covered that already.

Camera is too close for boss fights and it's annoying that you have to be in there face to see what move they are about to do (or risk getting hit by an off-screen attack you didn't see), blocking being the same button as a attack is kinda a bad choice, and not really a fan of exit being up+circle as if you're not RIGHT on the exit it just brings up the item menu.

Also not being able to skip ahead in dialogue is lame. I always skip through NPC dialogue because I don't want to sit and wait for them to speak it sloowly. But here it's either all or CANCEL with X. :\

duckroll

Man, the game's really getting even more awesome. I started Chapter 6 and before I even did anything I had this craving to try out the new recipes I got in the previous chapter. So I hit the cafe and kitchen, and ate what I could. But that wasn't enough for me. Not only did I -DESIRE- for certain dishes, but they had really attractive HP exp offerings too. So I ran out into the snowy mountains again, and grew pretty much ALL the seeds I had into fruits. I went back and just keep eating at the cafe and gained like 3-4 HP levels. Yummmmm. :D :D

I actually started Chapter 6 now and it's interesting how you can still get pwned if you're not careful. The different in max HP and weapon level do matter though, since dealing more damage means you finish battles quicker if you don't screw up. I wonder how long more the first book is going to be though, I've already sunk in close to 8 hours and it's still not done, great length, and it doesn't feel boring for a single moment. ^_^

Takuhi said:
the loading time thing is a TOTAL NON-ISSUE. As duckroll said, three seconds is about the max and when you move from area to area within a stage it's more like one second. The load times are absolutely in line with PS2 standards and whatever reviewer mentioned that is dumb or needs to clean the laser on their PS2

That was the 1up guys, but they were playing unfinished builds. It's really great to hear that load times are fine, now I just need to know if the Blaze HDTVXploder disk will allow me to run Odin Sphere in 480p

tmaynard

duckroll said:
Man, the game's really getting even more awesome. I started Chapter 6 and before I even did anything I had this craving to try out the new recipes I got in the previous chapter. So I hit the cafe and kitchen, and ate what I could. But that wasn't enough for me. Not only did I -DESIRE- for certain dishes, but they had really attractive HP exp offerings too. So I ran out into the snowy mountains again, and grew pretty much ALL the seeds I had into fruits. I went back and just keep eating at the cafe and gained like 3-4 HP levels. Yummmmm. :D :D

I actually started Chapter 6 now and it's interesting how you can still get pwned if you're not careful. The different in max HP and weapon level do matter though, since dealing more damage means you finish battles quicker if you don't screw up. I wonder how long more the first book is going to be though, I've already sunk in close to 8 hours and it's still not done, great length, and it doesn't feel boring for a single moment. ^_^

<3

TreIII

Kintaro said:
5 more days!

Sheesh...that long still?

Ah well, hopefully this weekend's worth of gaming-related news will help take my mind off of my severe lust for this game. Lord knows that Blizzard/Starcraft 2 thread was entertaining to read. :lol :lol

Doctor_No

MidgarBlowedUp said:
That was the 1up guys, but they were playing unfinished builds. It's really great to hear that load times are fine, now I just need to know if the Blaze HDTVXploder disk will allow me to run Odin Sphere in 480p

I think its that the load-times are hidden very well; due to the "round map"; the back-grounds are identically and doesn't need to be loaded going from area to area. Also, you have to wait several seconds for the enemy to show up when you enter a new area; likely this period is used to load. Overall, its a solid experience and the load-times, while existent, aren't terribly intrusive.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This is the most beautfiul-looking 2D game I have ever seen. Seriously, it has to be seen to be believed. It's jaw-dropping!

Shit-quality pic:
odincf3.jpg

Playing it on the PS3; it looks great upscaled to 480p and the load times are short.

CO_Andy

Lyte Edge said:
This is the most beautfiul-looking 2D game I have ever seen. Seriously, it has to be seen to be believed. It's jaw-dropping!

Playing it on the PS3; it looks great upscaled to 480p and the load times are short.
Didn't expect to hear that from the resident NeoGAF 2D fighting nut.

Wonder how the game looks in HD on Euro PS3s?

Top Bottom