• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sony Gamers Day 2007 Thread [HOLY F**KING SH*T)

D2M15 said:
distantmantra said:
Originally Posted by distantmantra:
We should keep this to actually announced titles and not "Sucker Punch Project" or "Untitled Team ICO Project," or it will get out of hand fast.
Well, currently unannounced/unexpected titles do account for more than half of those 40.

(and God of War 3 hasn't been actually announced).
We could add Wipeout for PS3 to the list of not yet announced games under development.

pcostabel

Gold Member
distantmantra said:
White Knight Story
God of War 3

We should keep this to actually announced titles and not "Sucker Punch Project" or "Untitled Team ICO Project," or it will get out of hand fast.

White Knight is Level 5, not first party.

1- Afrika
2- Lair
3- R&C
4- Hot Shots Golf 5
5- Heavenly Sword
6- Warhawk
7- Little Big Planet
8- Folks Soul
9- Eye of Judgment
10- Uncharted
11- Killzone 2
12- Buzz!
13- Singstar
14- the Getaway
15- WipeOut PS3
16- God of War 3
17- Eight days
18- SOCOM PS3
19- Siphon Filter PS3
20- MLB '07: The Show
21- DC Universe MMORPG
22- Gran Turismo 5
23- Jak and Daxter's Lost Frontier

[Reki]

Banned
- Relay (Sony Online Entertainment in partnership with Factor5) is an online MMO, the game is based in a Western styled sci-fi universe. The game has some strategy elements. Likened to both Advance Wars and Halo Wars. 15 second trailer and no dates given.
- Lair by Factor5, playable demo coming to PSN in June, August release. Exceptional frame rate now.
WOOT

Another one-off leak.

No more news until Midnight, Sony will be calling home the ninjas.
Firmware update tomorrow (day after for PAL-land)
details on firmware update scarce to say the least. Doesn't sound legit. to me:
Custom wallpaper, music playback in game, SPU algoritm for upscaling DVDs and PS2 games.

I thought I'd post it.. I don't know much about hardware but I was told the PS3 can't upscale. Techy speculation commence.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't know much about hardware but I was told the PS3 can't upscale.
While I do not necessarily believe that we will see such an update tomorrow, I do think you are mistaken on that point.

Ceb

pcostabel said:
23- Jak and Daxter's Lost Frontier

If this exists, the perfect turn of events would be if it came out next fall. That way, the Ratchet and Jak series can take turns instead of duking it out with each other every year.

R&CF: ToD
Uncharted: DF

Resistance 2
J&D: TLF

R&CF 2
Uncharted 2

and so on...

Ploid 3.0

Visualante said:
Another one-off leak.

Custom wallpaper, music playback in game, SPU algoritm for upscaling DVDs and PS2 games.

O.O Man wonder if they could do something to make PS2 games run at locked framerate and stream textures faster down the line. *GTA:SA stuff so I can just go crazy.

KTallguy

Banned
Visualante said:
Another one-off leak.

I thought I'd post it.. I don't know much about hardware but I was told the PS3 can't upscale. Techy speculation commence.

Sounds like someone's screwing with you.
Anyway, we'll have some news soon. :)

Visualante said:

FIRMWARE UPDATE 2.0 IN THE HOUSEEE!!!

i swear ill cry if all your leaks are false... :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS3 of can upscale/downscale videos. In fact it's already doing that for everything other than DVDs. (even BDs are at least downscaled to 480p if needed)

Raistlin

Visualante said:
I thought I'd post it.. I don't know much about hardware but I was told the PS3 can't upscale.

1) That was proved untrue, the PS3 does indeed have a HW scaler (as evidenced in a couple of games now released).

2) The rumor you posted refers to an SPU algorithm, which means it is SW based. So even if #1 where not true, it would have no impact on this rumor.

Visualante said:
Another one-off leak.

TONIGHT THERE'S GONNA BE A JAILBREAK!!~

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Havnt all or most of the firmware updates come out on wednesday night? Not that it matters in the part of the rumor.

reminder

Yixian said:
Wtf EU gets firmware a day later? That's so horrendously unfair it makes me believe the rumour so much more.

Maybe only the download via PC. Network-Updates were available worldwide at the same time yet.

Onix said:
1) That was proved untrue, the PS3 does indeed have a HW scaler (as evidenced in a couple of games now released).

2) The rumor you posted refers to an SPU algorithm, which means it is SW based. So even if #1 where not true, it would have no impact on this rumor.
Well I said I wasn't a techy. The person I spoke to is working on a PS3 game and he said "it can't." The difference between not possible- and can't at the moment may be subject to interpretation/knowledge.

You appear to know your stuff. Is it a feasible release tomorrow in any capacity?

No way we're getting PSX/PS2/DVD upscaling yet. That's too good to be true this soon.

I'd pretty much replay my entire PSX/PS2 game collection.

edit: I could see upscaling in the sense of games rendered at 480i/480p, then with the scaler chip making that image output at 1080p looking as nice as it can at that resolution, like an upscaling DVD player. I don't think we'll get PS2 games natively rendering at 1080p for a while though (even though that's looking to be possible with recent PS2 emulators for the PC).

I don't know if this has been posted yet but Midway will be releasing a Special Edition Stranglehold Version exclusively for PS3 which includes the Hard Boiled Movie for fans for 10 dollars above retail.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Aggelos said:
and what it does it do? perfomance optimization?

I think the suggestion of that is that SPU would take the frame and just upscale it.

That would make some sense for DVDs, Sony has already talked about working a hybrid Cell/RSX solution for upscaling DVDs, but that this rumour mentions PS2 games in the same breath casts doubt on its credibility IMO. Passing a frame from the GS to Cell for upscaling and then back for output seems..latency prone. That one seems rather suss to me.

steinmc

shagg_187 said:
FIRMWARE UPDATE 2.0 IN THE HOUSEEE!!!

i swear ill cry if all your leaks are false... :(

DVD Upscaling? Hope it is true,but somedaysago we heard about Firmware 2.0
DVD Upscaling was not part of it.

Another one-off as nobody was available to confirm. (it's so close it's not worth holding anything back)

- Home beta kiosks on the floor.
- God of War PSP playable on the floor
- WipeOut PS3 development steady, currently looking at a 2008 release. 60 fps. No word on whether it is using the MotorStorm or F1:CE engine.

jjasper

TuSeiSkeefoso said:
I don't know if this has been posted yet but Midway will be releasing a Special Edition Stranglehold Version exclusively for PS3 which includes the Hard Boiled Movie for fans for 10 dollars above retail.

Will Hard Boiled be in HD cause if so =instabuy

kenta

Has no PEINS
Visualante said:
Another one-off as nobody was available to confirm. (it's so close it's not worth holding anything back)

- Home beta kiosks on the floor.
- God of War PSP playable on the floor
- WipeOut PS3 development steady, currently looking at a 2008 release. 60 fps. No word on whether it is using the MotorStorm or F1:CE engine.
These are all entirely believable actually

Raistlin

Visualante said:
Well I said I wasn't a techy. The person I spoke to is working on a PS3 game and he said "it can't." The difference between not possible- and can't at the moment may be subject to interpretation/knowledge.

The dev you spoke to may have been right ... it matters when you talked to him :p

Sony just recently added the option to do horizontal HW scaling in the dev SW. Mandotary usage of it will occur soon.

Basically, the devs design the game to run in two resolution modes if they aren't supporting 1080p natively. 1280x720 and 960x1080. 960x1080 is approximately the same amount of pixels as 720p, so it doesn't really use more resources. The HW then scales it to 1080p/i if the user selects that resolution.

It is possible Sony will add more options in the future ... as we don't really know what the extent of the scalers capabilities are.

You appear to know your stuff. Is it a feasible release tomorrow in any capacity?

DVD upscaling is certainly possible. The DVD playback is all software based, so adding scaling was always the plan.

PS1/2 scaling ... that's a more interesting question. I'm not sure if the rumor is implying native rendering or simply scaling of the image afterwards. Either way, there could be some issues depending on which version of the PS3 HW is being used.

I'd rather wait and see if this happens ... and if it does, get the info on 'how' at that point. There are a lot of things that could occur, and it would all be simple speculation at this time.

Raistlin

TuSeiSkeefoso said:

Wait ... Hard Boiled on BluRay or DVD?

It better be BluRay or they am failure total :\

Onix said:
Wait ... Hard Boiled on BluRay or DVD?

It better be BluRay or they am failure total :\

hb1ob9.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-05-16-stranglehold-hardboiled_N.htm
full-length remastered high-def version.

Raistlin

gofreak said:
I think the suggestion of that is that SPU would take the frame and just upscale it.

That would make some sense for DVDs, Sony has already talked about working a hybrid Cell/RSX solution for upscaling DVDs, but that this rumour mentions PS2 games in the same breath casts doubt on its credibility IMO. Passing a frame from the GS to Cell for upscaling and then back for output seems..latency prone. That one seems rather suss to me.

Unless it is uses thing PS3 HW scaler?

D3MO

Banned
the press going to be able to release information @ 12:00AM tomorrow right?

Is that Eastern or Pacific Time?

Please be eastern

Wollan

Actually the info is being released midnight tonight either EST or PSD. That means 6hours 45min (or 9 hours 45min) from now we will get our load.

cliffbo

1- Afrika
2- Lair
3- R&C
4- Hot Shots Golf 5
5- Heavenly Sword
6- Warhawk
7- Little Big Planet
8- Folks Soul
9- Eye of Judgment
10- Uncharted
11- Killzone 2