• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Tobor

Master Z said:
Speak for yourself. Just because the PS3 may not have anything that appeals to you doesn't neccessarily mean other people feel the same way.

You know, the Xbox and Gamecube pretty much sold like shit compared to the PS2 but both systems still had plenty of great games to enjoy. Shit, the GC even got one of the best games of last gen in RE4 and that was more than half-way through it's lifecycle when it was very clear that it would never catch up to PS2. It's like people think that second or last place means that the PS3 can never be a profitable business.

Cute. Please show me where I said that.........yea, that's what I thought. Go play with your pokemons.

I never said PS3 would get NO games, pay attention. If you can't understand that the losing consoles get less titles than the winning console, than you should bail out of sales threads.

3816cba4ba66915ee82f24497c0dfbb1.gif

Scum

Mar_ said:
I've been too busy at work to follow this thread. Have there been any meltdowns yet?

I love me some meltdowns.

Sweet, delicious, meltdowns.

Well, My Chemical Mouse and his insane spoutings won't be around for a while! :lol
And Mike Works treated us lowly NeoGAFfers to gem of a .gif in the this thread. There's a 10,000 one for the M-Create thread too.

soclose.gif

:lol :lol

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Though I'm a Wii owner and have enjoyed the system at points I'm still not convinced its current performance will continue in the long run with the library they have now. Unless they start getting new and unique content I believe sales will fall off.

It's actually quite fascinating how closely the Wii is mirroring the Nintendo DS's performance at the moment. Right down to software quality and third party releases.

smurfx said:
jeez sony really needs to drop the price of the ps3 because it's going to be dead by the time all the good games come out. they should release a 399.99 ps3 version by xmas because a 500 dollar ps3 isn't going to sell all that well either.

Honestly, Sony can't afford to drop the price under $500. They would be bleeding money. It cost over $400 to produce the PS3. Unlike MS Sony doens't have the money to bleed into a system, like MS did with the original X-box. I Remember seeing an interview with one of the higher ups at Sony, and he said they woulnd't drop the price till two years from now. Iam starting to believe that. Also, look how long it took Sony to drop the price of the PSP, and Nintendo was killing them there with the DS.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
TekunoRobby said:
Though I'm a Wii owner and have enjoyed the system at points I'm still not convinced its current performance will continue in the long run with the library they have now. Unless they start getting new and unique content I believe sales will fall off.

It's actually quite fascinating how closely the Wii is mirroring the Nintendo DS's performance at the moment. Right down to software quality and third party releases.

i went wii60 about a week ago and am loving every minute, baby.

and i added you as a friend on xbox live, fyi.

Eteric Rice

TekunoRobby said:

Hopefully it continues following the DS, as that means in about 6 months it will turn to pure awesome.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
AniHawk said:
502703276_e2e56d973f_o.png

Shamelessly stolen from some guy a couple pages back.

I think RS did have two weeks, because those were March sales (and March is a five week month). Not sure on the others.

EDIT: Looks like GS had two weeks of sales too.
so the fourth generation pokemon has the best us launch of all the gens.. wow.. I seriously didn't expect it to top GS which had much more cross-media saturation going on.. between NSMB, AC, Nintendogs, Brain Training, and now Pokemon, I guess the DS really is the most successful handheld Nintendo has ever released..

TekunoRobby said:
ehhh.. I get what you're saying, and 6 months and even three months ago it sounded much more convincing.. but at this point, six months after launch, wondering if it will be able to sustain sales when it has for six months straight is starting to sound just iverly pessimistic.

AniHawk

smurfx said:
i don't think it's at the point of no return they just need to drop the price and they will get their sales back up. there are still millions of gamers out there that haven't got a next gen system yet and sony needs to price the ps3 competitively with the other two because it won't be around if it keeps this up. what will it take for sony to lower the price? selling 50k next month or maybe even lower?

I just think it's more of a perception thing.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Eteric Rice said:
Hopefully it continues following the DS, as that means in about 6 months it will turn to pure awesome.
If sales keep up during the summer months and spike during holiday performance thanks to Nintendo's releases then it seems almost guaranteed to explode with success.

If that happens it'll be the exact clone of the DS/PSP scenario. If you had told me this was possible before the DS launch I would've laughed quite hard.

Mrbob

Well, if any system is set to potentially explode this fall it is Xbox 360 with the release of Halo 3 and a 100 dollar price drop across the board. Please save us from a exclusive waggle future, MS! I don't mind having some waggle, but I don't want it all waggle.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
AniHawk said:
I just think it's more of a perception thing.
and one of the big things Nintendo learned the last two gens is that it's DAMN hard to turn around perception inside of a generation. if sony doesn't turn things around by this holiday season, they are going to be in for a bumpy generation.

I was just making some rough calculations and if trends continue as they(300k for 360, 200k for PS3, 1M for the Wii) are including holidays, the combined total for both the 360 and PS3 should be surpassed by the Wii in 15 months or so. Probably way sooner if the Nintendo boosts Wii manufacturing, which is very likely.

TekunoRobby said:
Well, yeah, except this is true for every platform ever.

Branduil

Oblivion said:
Shh. He still thinks that PS3 will be getting the same sized library as the PS2 if not even bigger. Best break it to him gently.

Well, he's right. The PS3 can play the entire PS2 library, and the PS1 library, It already has the biggest library of all time. Sony just needs to advertise that fact and everyone will donate their Wiis to Goodwill.

santouras

Night_Trekker said:
How old are you?

And I don't see what the point in that question is. There is no doubt that alot of current gamers got into gaming with playstation as their first console. And since those days, sony has been on top.

scottnak

So... cue the "I was bored..." preface explanation for doing something nerdy...
I did the number crunching for the predictions...
(161 players)
Code:
R  Player             Abs Diff
------------------------------
1  BuzzJive 		109
2  Tf53 	  	122*
3  Dimmuxx 		123
4  speculawyer 		128
5  apujanta 		129
6  Mallika 	 	138
7  DayShallCome	 	143*
8  donny2112	 	155
9  argon	 	156
10 Parl		 	158
11 Clever Pun	 	163
12 sonycowboy	 	165
13 Giddeon	 	166*
14 Pope Benedict XVI 	168
15 F#A#Oo	 	169*
16 Xabora	 	171*
17 chibicicylist 	173*  
17 corez		173*
19 Branduil	 	174
20 perfectchaos007	176
21 John Dunbar		180
22 Orgen	 	186
23 PhoenixDark	 	193*
24 Barf_The_Mog	 	194*
25 PACHTER	 	202*

* +13 penalty added for not guessing for Gamecube numbers.
So there you go.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
laserbeam said:
PSP performance didn't improve all that much with a price drop really.
Zuh? According to Windyman's calculations the PSP had an increase of 27.2% per week. That's not a marked inprovement?

neptunes

Branduil said:
Well, he's right. The PS3 can play the entire PS2 library, and the PS1 library, It already has the biggest library of all time. Sony just needs to advertise that fact and everyone will donate their Wiis to Goodwill.
what?

edit: sorry, couldn't detect the sarcasm

Grecco

Mrbob said:
Well, if any system is set to potentially explode this fall it is Xbox 360 with the release of Halo 3 and a 100 dollar price drop across the board. Please save us from a exclusive waggle future, MS! I don't mind having some waggle, but I don't want it all waggle.

The Return of Wii60

Roat

Banned
Two things I was looking for from the 360 weren't there: The Elite sales jump and perhaps a boost for Crackdown before the Halo 3 beta (although that is more likely in the first two weeks of this month). The Elite's poor showing realises some of the early doubts about it and the multiple-SKU tiers in general - as has been said, the 360 seems to have reached it's peak penetration at the current price point(s) and needs to see a price drop to get back into the game again - of course this is now a very difficult proposition due to the introduction of the Elite. One wonders what they could have done if they'd dropped the core and either kept just the Premium or replaced it with the elite and brought it down to $299, perhaps with a bundle with some of their earlier games.

As for the Wii's sales, incredible - 100k higher than last month and in the absence of those AAA titles that are often criticised for not being out yet. Obviously initial demand isn't yet sated. These predictions a year ago would have been unbelievable.

PS3, what is there to say. A large pricedrop and a hit game by Christmas could turn things around (and by that I mean make it have solid numbers again, they're not going to be able to compete with the Wii in the short term). I remember when the original Xbox was launched in Australia it was $699AU and was doing poorly. Microsoft bit the bullet and dropped the price to $399AU after only 6 or so weeks and Australia ended up being the Xbox's most successful country per population.

It's important to note that it's not just price driving the Wii's success. The Gamecube was cheaper and although was hardly a failure, was beaten by the more expensive PS3/Xbox and by no means was a runaway success like the Wii.

dkeane

dogonfire said:
Wait, does this mean Nintendo's "Three Pillar" strategy is working after all?
Yes it's working but Sony also has 3 pillars in the US, which most people overlook. The PS2 is raking in the bucks and will for the rest of the year. I bet this plays greatly into Sony's pricing strategy for the PS3. Something that Microsoft does not have since they killed the original Xbox so early.

I don't think Nintendo really cares how the GBA is doing anymore. They're just happy for the extra cash.

scottnak said:
So... cue the "I was bored..." preface explanation for doing something nerdy...
I did the number crunching for the predictions...
(161 players)

Do you have this in a spreadsheet? If so, PM me. I'd like to analyze it to find the collective wisdom of GAF.

Luna104

Earthstrike said:
What are you talking about. You think other people are acting irrationally by predicting an extremely low market share for PS3 and that your assertion that they'll just "get their act together" and start selling ps3's magical is real? It's the other way 'round.

No it's not. Eventually Sony are gonna have to drop the price, big time. When it hits 450 (shouldn't take that long the way things are going) and the good games start rolling in, that's when this thing's gonna take off. Playstation is still the #1 console brand.

If you think Sony's just going to sit back and watch the PS3 fail, you're mistaken. The PS3 is way too important for them.

Top Bottom