• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Tobor said:
More sales = more games = more sales =...

Shh. He still thinks that PS3 will be getting the same sized library as the PS2 if not even bigger. Best break it to him gently.

smurfx

get some go again
jeez sony really needs to drop the price of the ps3 because it's going to be dead by the time all the good games come out. they should release a 399.99 ps3 version by xmas because a 500 dollar ps3 isn't going to sell all that well either.

AniHawk

smurfx said:
jeez sony really needs to drop the price of the ps3 because it's going to be dead by the time all the good games come out. they should release a 399.99 ps3 version by xmas because a 500 dollar ps3 isn't going to sell all that well either.

I think the damage has been done at this point.

jarrod said:
At this point, it'd be more surprising if the "big two" didn't come to 360.

I wonder how portable that White Engine *really* is...
Indeed. How any third party plans to make any money on boxed retail releases on the PS3 is beyond me...especially exclusive ones that have production budgets north of twenty million and big marketing budgets of the same size or more.

KINGMOKU

smurfx said:
Okay, lets say they do. What do they do before then? Let the gap become the grand cannyon?

jarrod

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
I can relate, as any Saturn fan can, I think. Fall of '96 was the first amazing holiday season (Sega Rally/VF2 combo!) and a price drop. Too bad it meant nothing to most people outside of Sega fans who were already importing heavily...
The VF2/Sega Rally/Virtua Cop trifecta was in 1995. 1996 brought stuff like Guardian Heoes, NiGHTS, Panzer Zwei, Fighting Vipers, Virtual On, Daytona CCE, VF Kids, Legend of Oasis, Clockwork Knight 2, Baku Baku, Virtua Cop 2, Gun Griffon, Decathlete and others.

<3 <3 Saturn

Luna104

As much as this Nintendo fan likes to see Sony's overpriced beast fail, I refuse to hop on the "there's no hope for PS3" and "Sony needs a miracle" train. They will get their act together.

Still, 82k :lol

MightyHedgehog said:
Indeed. How any third party plans to make any money on boxed retail releases on the PS3 is beyond me...especially exclusive ones that have production budgets north of twenty million and big marketing budgets of the same size or more.

On a related note, is there any PS2/PSP game that won't make its way to the Wii this year?

I don't mean this in a joking way, it'd be borderline retarded for any developer to not make a Wii port of any game hitting either platform, including the SE RPGs.

I'm mad late, I know

6cpga5c.gif

jarrod said:
The VF2/Sega Rally/Virtua Cop trifecta was in 1995. 1996 brought stuff like Guardian Heoes, NiGHTS, Panzer Zwei, Fighting Vipers, Virtual On, Daytona CCE, VF Kids, Legend of Oasis, Clockwork Knight 2, Baku Baku, Virtua Cop 2, Gun Griffon, Decathlete and others.

<3 <3 Saturn
Well, you know what I meant. :) PS3 is the new Saturn...except that it doesn't have a pretty good business in Japan for hardcore players.

Tobor

Oblivion said:
Shh. He still thinks that PS3 will be getting the same sized library as the PS2 if not even bigger. Best break it to him gently.

Indeed. Although common sense shouldn't have to be explained, should it?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh WTF at Pokemon. I thought it was about 1 million between the two. They managed to sell something like 1.8 million in just over one week? When did NPD stop tracking for April?

AniHawk

Mejilan said:
Oh WTF at Pokemon. I thought it was about 1 million between the two. They managed to sell something like 1.8 million in just over one week? When did NPD stop tracking for April?

It counted 14 days of sales, actually.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Luna104 said:
As much as this Nintendo fan likes to see Sony's overpriced beast fail, I refuse to hop on the "there's no hope for PS3" and "Sony needs a miracle" train. They will get their act together.

I hope they'll do better in the coming months. The PS3 is practically the only hope high-end gaming has in Japan. I'd say if they're in the same shape after a year of this then the system is officially dead. Nothing would save it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Tobor said:

You would think that, but time and time again, GAF has proved that's not the case.

It seems by definition the PS3 will be in 'shortage' for the time being regardless of production. Sony thinks a store needs to stock 30+ systems and advertise it, but if you take all of the Gamestop/EB, Wal-Mart/Sam's, BestBuy/Futureshop, and Costo locations alone, you are taking over 10,000 stores in North America. Divide it out (and include other chains like KMart/Sears et al) and you're looking at stores selling an average of eight PS3 units, at best, per month; of course some locations will sell more and some will sell less. No retailer should want to carry 3-4 months worth of inventory in-store and tie up $18,000 worth of cash flow. Frankly, lots of retailers probably shouldn't want thirty units in-store of anything but Wii (lol) and DS. At least until the holidays.

Luna104 said:

What are you talking about. You think other people are acting irrationally by predicting an extremely low market share for PS3 and that your assertion that they'll just "get their act together" and start selling ps3's magical is real? It's the other way 'round.

adelante

BRAVO NINTENDO AND THEM POKEMONS!

Pfft 360, numbers sure could do a lot better :( but that's nothing compared to what PS3 got. However we spin it, the fact remains that price has been a major hinderance for the two nex-gen consoles. How did the PS2 and original Xbox fare at the equivalent point of their life cycle?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
AniHawk said:
It counted 14 days of sales, actually.

That's still insane. Anyone happen to know the first 2 weeks' worth of sales for Pokemon 3 or Pokemon 2, here in the US? For comparison's sake?

Master Z

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
Too bad the PS3 has neither.

Speak for yourself. Just because the PS3 may not have anything that appeals to you doesn't neccessarily mean other people feel the same way.

Tobor said:
More sales = more games = more sales =...

You know, the Xbox and Gamecube pretty much sold like shit compared to the PS2 but both systems still had plenty of great games to enjoy. Shit, the GC even got one of the best games of last gen in RE4 and that was more than half-way through it's lifecycle when it was very clear that it would never catch up to PS2. It's like people think that second or last place means that the PS3 can never be a profitable business.

Oblivion said:

Cute. Please show me where I said that.........yea, that's what I thought. Go play with your pokemons.

adelante said:
BRAVO NINTENDO AND THEM POKEMONS!

Pfft 360, numbers sure could do a lot better :( but that's nothing compared to what PS3 got. However we spin it, the fact remains that price has been a major hinderance for the two nex-gen consoles. How did the PS2 and original Xbox fare at the equivalent point of their life cycle?

In its second April the Xbox sold < 130k even though it had been at $199 for eleven months. Not sure about PS2.

Imagine if Xbox were $399.99 back then. It may have sold 1/10 of what 360 is selling now.

Mar

I've been too busy at work to follow this thread. Have there been any meltdowns yet?

I love me some meltdowns.

Sweet, delicious, meltdowns.

AniHawk

Mejilan said:
That's still insane. Anyone happen to know the first 2 weeks' worth of sales for Pokemon 3 or Pokemon 2, here in the US? For comparison's sake?

502703276_e2e56d973f_o.png

Shamelessly stolen from some guy a couple pages back.

I think RS did have two weeks, because those were March sales (and March is a five week month). Not sure on the others.

EDIT: Looks like GS had two weeks of sales too.

smurfx

get some go again
AniHawk said:
I think the damage has been done at this point.
i don't think it's at the point of no return they just need to drop the price and they will get their sales back up. there are still millions of gamers out there that haven't got a next gen system yet and sony needs to price the ps3 competitively with the other two because it won't be around if it keeps this up. what will it take for sony to lower the price? selling 50k next month or maybe even lower?

santouras

Tobor said:
I hope this doesn't come out as sounding fanboyish, but sony fans have always had their system on top. People are just so used to sony being on top that when they aren't its a total meltdown. DS was just the preperation, and they were shrugging that off as, "handhelds are a different market" etc etc, but now its just starting to sink in. Nintendo read the market and gave the market what it wanted at the price it could afford.

rotk1.JPG

Eteric Rice

smurfx said:
i don't think it's at the point of no return they just need to drop the price and they will get their sales back up. there are still millions of gamers out there that haven't got a next gen system yet and sony needs to price the ps3 competitively with the other two because it won't be around if it keeps this up. what will it take for sony to lower the price? selling 50k next month or maybe even lower?

For all we know, those millions of gamers could stick with the PS2. They're not obligated to buy any of the three next gen systems.

Gonna be fun to watch this generation. At least for me.

Not so fun for Sony fans.

Sony is in so much trouble at this point. They need a price drop BADLY, it doesn't matter if it will increase losses, they need to get units in peoples hands. Simple game/BRmovie bundles won't cut it. They need to match the 360 elite price, at the very least, ASAP.

Flat sales for 360, not awful for the time period, but if they care about being market leader, they'll need a price cut in advance of 'rolling thunder' in August. $380, $280 and $200 should be the price points.

Monster sales for Ninty, nothing much to add. Seems Wii has captured the imagination of the mainstream, but it can't hurt that they're still $150 cheaper than the nearest comp (360 Pro).

Master Z said:
Speak for yourself. Just because the PS3 may not have anything that appeals to you doesn't neccessarily mean other people feel the same way.

You know, the Xbox and Gamecube pretty much sold like shit compared to the PS2 but both systems still had plenty of great games to enjoy. Shit, the GC even got one of the best games of last gen in RE4 and that was more than half-way through it's lifecycle when it was very clear that it would never catch up to PS2. It's like people think that second or last place means that the PS3 can never be a profitable business.

Cute. Please show me where I said that.........yea, that's what I thought. Go play with your pokemons.

Well i am sure you know this, and you were probably just being sarcastic, but developing for the PS3 costs a lot more than for say Wii. Whereas before the development costs were not too far of from one another. Even then GC was the cheapest, if I am not wrong. Unfortunately the way Sony have glued their back to the wall, PS3 demographic is going to want games that are expensive to make, add this to my previos point, means that its highly unlikely for any developer to feasibly make a game on the platform, unless funded by Sony.

Top Bottom