• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Eteric Rice said:
Depends on what games you play. I think some devs are really over using it, though.

I think the Wii is in the same place that the DS was a long time ago: Developers don't know how to make good games for it. Porting over psp/ps2 games simply isn't going to cut it.

Personally I am still not 100% sold on it, even after I camped out for 14 hours in the cold to get one.

PolyGone

Banned
outunderthestars said:
I think the Wii is in the same place that the DS was a long time ago...

and we all know how that turned out

GWprintsmoney.gif

mcgarrett

Merovingian said:
Spielber, Jackson, Michael Bay, Sony and MS, most of the devs in the world, they want more spectacular and immersion experiences, not just some piece of shit little game to play 15 minutes at a time, **** that shit.
We're not talking about which console provides the most spectacular and immersive experience, we're talking sales -- and Nintendo sales are pretty clearly being driven by casual gamers. It's going to take more than a 360 price cut to capture that audience, it's going to take games that cater to their needs -- especially as Nintendo will likely follow suit and drop the Wii to $199.

Flo_Evans

dude: nothing is ****ed here dude...

lebowski: nothing is ****ed? the god-damned plane has crashed into the mountain!" :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The response from Sony is staggering. Not an ounce of spin, suprisingly. Hell, I thought at the very least they would have said they shipped 1 million units in April, or something.

Kuroyume

Banned
Wow... The Wii is ****ing unreal. I can't comprehend this. What the **** are people playing on it?! Jesus.... :lol

MS needs to stop being so freaking arrogant and stubborn, and drop the goddamn price! Pack in Gears with a price drop!

Playstation 3... MMmmm wow...

Oblivion said:
The response from Sony is staggering. Not an ounce of spin, suprisingly. Hell, I thought at the very least they would have said they shipped 1 million units in April, or something.

I think Sony already put out their response, it was Kutaragi getting fired ... err ... I mean "resigning".

ivysaur12

Banned
I love how NPD day is on Media-Create day. The whole day is just like a magical GIF wonderland.

EDIT: CVX, time to change your avatar to "83k and 8k"

Zynx

Analyst predictions:
wedbush morgan/pachter
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155898&highlight=morgan
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16149

(actual/prediction/error)

Nintendo DS 471k (450k -21k) catching on
Wii 360k (300k, -60k) well will they start believing Wii actually is breaking out?
PlayStation 2 194k (250k +56k) well looks like PS2 is slowing faster than they thought
PlayStation Portable 183k (200k +17k) not bad
Xbox 360 174k (175k +1k) very accurate
Game Boy Advance 84k (100k +16k) ok
PlayStation 3 82k (100k +18k) optimistic

Total absolute error: 189k

"We expect April sales to be driven by new release Nintendo’s Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (DS), which had over 533,000 in preorders. We estimate that the title sold over 800,000 units during the month"

NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 1.045 M
NDS POKEMON PEARL VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 712K

(Well, to be positive, at least they were correct in the over/under 800k)

tanod

when is my burrito
Actual - My Predictions = Difference

Nintendo DS 450K - 471k = -21k
Wii 250K - 360k = -110k
Game Boy Advance 125K - 84k = +41k

PlayStation 2 250K - 194k = +56k
PlayStation Portable 200K - 183k = +17k
PlayStation 3 120K - 82k = +38k

Xbox 360 225k - 174k = +51k

My biggest difference was the Wii. I didn't expect Wii to pull out more than 300k since they sold so many in Japan. Looks like they are finally getting their production ramped up.

Expected the GBA, 360, and PS3 to do better. Have to wonder how much effect the Elite had on 360 sales. Next month should be more telling. See you next month, NPD.

I added up the U.S., Japan and Canada Sales over the 4 weeks of NPD´s April. Here´s what I came up with:

DS - 1353K
Wii - 760K
PSP - 319K
360 - 198K
PS3 - 138K

Note: These sales cover April 9th - May 6th in Japan, and April 8th - May 5th for the U.S. and Canada.

Playstation Brand Dominates April NPD Numbers

According to the monthly NPD numbers just released tonight, the Playstation Brand once again outsold its competition. The Playstation Brand sold 459,000 units in April, solidly edging out the closet competition from Nintendo's Wii System, which sold 360,000. The Xbox 360 sold 174,000 units, respectively.

Sony's domination in hardware sales has been long standing, starting with the introduction of the Playstation Brand more than a decade ago. Since then Sony has pushed innovatation through modern technology, most notably through Betamax, UMD, and most recently Blu Ray. "Sony has always been the leader in innovation and advancement," said Phil Harrison, CO of SCEI. "The Playstation Brand is as flexible as mathematics; if you bend it, even your biggest dreams are possible."

Harrison was also bullish on Sony's closest competitor, Nintendo. Recently Nintendo has made great progress with the introduction of the Wii, a quirky invention that's heating up convalescent homes and Amish communities across the country. However, Harrison is not convinced. "Well they would certain like us to believe they are getting millions of grandmas and grandpas to play videogames, but lets see if these people are playing Nintendo games in ten years. Come census time I doubt they'll be playing much of anything."

On the other side of the spectrum is Microsoft, who's Xbox 360 console hasn't managed to make much progress in the US; while the other consoles have made great progress, the Xbox 360 seems to be following the path of the Pinto as its 2:1 break ratio causes consumer's concern. In April Microsoft introduced the Xbox 360 Elite, which comes with more options and electric tape. When asked about the system's potential for competition, Sony SCE boss Kaz Hirai was unconvinced. "I don't see the point in the name. You go from Xbox 360 to Xbox 360 Elite? Both are massively damaged in terms of design. It's like going from HIV to AIDS, and frankly, those aren't my blood vessels." When asked for comments Microsoft head Peter Moore was unavailable for comment

xbox360stockrb8.jpg

Above: Scores of Xbox 360 stock in the back of a local Wal-Mart. According to statistics compiled by SDF University, around 60% of that pile likely contains defective units

Flo_Evans

ok - dreamtime. What do you think would happen if Sony bowed out of the hardware race SEGA style and started supporting the 360 with all their 1st party?

Bungalow Bob said:
I added up the U.S., Japan and Canada Sales over the 4 weeks of NPD´s April. Here´s what I came up with:

DS - 1353K
Wii - 760K
PSP - 319K
360 - 198K
PS3 - 138K

Note: These sales cover April 9th - May 6th in Japan, and April 8th - May 5th for the U.S. and Canada.

Wii > 360 + PS3 + PS2 in North America + Japan. Yikes.

Terrell

I can imagine Square Enix and Konami are in their boardrooms on Media-Create hardware day:

Execs: Under 10K for the week? You've gotta be kidding!! Oh well, at least we have North America to fall back on, ri........ WHAT THE ****ING ****-SUCKING ***-REAMING HELL?!???!?

... anybody got a gun?

castle007

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Playstation Brand Dominates April NPD Numbers

According to the monthly NPD numbers just released tonight, the Playstation Brand once again outsold its competition. The Playstation Brand sold 459,000 units in April, solidly edging out the closet competition from Nintendo's Wii System, which sold 360,000. The Xbox 360 sold 174,000 units, respectively.

Sony's domination in hardware sales has been long standing, starting with the introduction of the Playstation Brand more than a decade ago. Since then Sony has pushed innovatation through modern technology, most notably through Betamax, UMD, and most recently Blu Ray. "Sony has always been the leader in innovation and advancement," said Phil Harrison, CO of SCEI. "The Playstation Brand is as flexible as mathematics; if you bend it, even your biggest dreams are possible."

Harrison was also bullish on Sony's closest competitor, Nintendo. Recently Nintendo has made great progress with the introduction of the Wii, a quirky invention that's heating up convalescent homes and Amish communities across the country. However, Harrison is not convinced. "Well they would certain like us to believe they are getting millions of grandmas and grandpas to play videogames, but lets see if these people are playing Nintendo games in ten years. Come census time I doubt they'll be playing much of anything."

On the other side of the spectrum is Microsoft, who's Xbox 360 console hasn't managed to make much progress in the US; while the other consoles have made great progress, the Xbox 360 seems to be following the path of the Pinto as its 2:1 break ratio causes consumer's concern. In April Microsoft introduced the Xbox 360 Elite, which comes with more options and electric tape. When asked about the system's potential for competition, Sony SCE boss Kaz Hirai was unconvinced. "I don't see the point in the name. You go from Xbox 360 to Xbox 360 Elite? Both are massively damaged in terms of design. It's like going from HIV to AIDS, and frankly, those aren't my blood vessels." When asked for comments Microsoft head Peter Moore was unavailable for comment

xbox360stockrb8.jpg

Above: Scores of Xbox 360 stock in the back of a local Wal-Mart. According to statistics compiled by SDF University, around 60% of that pile likely contains defective units

you made that up, didn't you?? :lol

Crypto

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
ok - dreamtime. What do you think would happen if Sony bowed out of the hardware race SEGA style and started supporting the 360 with all their 1st party?

Sony would have lost over 4 billion with no hope of recovering. The games would be scraped for PS3, so never made at all.

Oblivion said:

What response?

The Nintendo DS is the new PS2 of the masses. Not a great leap in saying this.

Everything else is for bragging rights in a succession of Pyrrhic victories.

Developer Bonus: With the DS, software doesn't have to follow the typical entertainment-biz model of a few successful titles supporting the many poorly-received titles as mirrored by video games, movies, books, music, etc. God knows how much D3 made with Puzzle Quest; but, I doubt their financial exposure was too great.

Whither video games after the halcyon PS2 era? I'm not claiming contraction (look at year over year sales), but it doesn't appear that developer budgets in this generation will be supported by the user base predicted by the last generation. Even given the financial figures, there seems to be a cloud over the video games industry. Will enough people return from last-gen to new-gen to keep the industry at the size it has grown and become accustomed to?

Still early, though. Back to the partisan mud-slinging...

B-Ri

Flo_Evans said:

sony is the only company of all of them right now that should have any business being in hardware.

At least nintendo has some standards of quality on hardware, always has.

Every time i play oblivion on my 360 i fear its going to crap out.

FtsH said:
PS3 is expensive and has no game, but, but why don't people buy 360?

Give me reliable hardware that won't break down easily ("things break" my ass), and I'll be first in line. I've been waiting for a die shrink for a while to see if it will have any effect on hardware failure rates. I'll continue to wait until they improve. Price is a factor, obviously, but it's not the sole consideration in my decision. The current and future game line-up meets my expectations for "perceived value"; it's in the hardware itself wherein I refuse to pay $400.

AniHawk

PhoenixDark said:

:lol :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Terrell said:
I can imagine Square Enix and Konami are in their boardrooms on Media-Create hardware day:

Execs: Under 10K for the week? You've gotta be kidding!! Oh well, at least we have North America to fall back on, ri........ WHAT THE ****ING ****-SUCKING ***-REAMING HELL?!???!?

... anybody got a gun?

Seriously, I think at this point, virtually everyone's pissed at Nintendo. Sony/MS for obvious reasons, and major third parties for being blindsided by this and betting on the wrong horse. :lol

Crypto

Banned
SabinFigaro said:
Give me reliable hardware that won't break down easily ("things break" my ass), and I'll be first in line. I've been waiting for a die shrink for a while to see if it will have any effect on hardware failure rates. I'll continue to wait until they improve. Price is a factor, obviously, but it's not the sole consideration in my decision. The current and future game line-up meets my expectations for "perceived value"; it's in the hardware itself wherein I refuse to pay $400.

Like I said before, PR problem. Get a warranty, you won't have to ever worry about it.

laserbeam

Banned
Clearly Blu-ray's superior capacity has greatly enhanced gaming. Would Motorstorm have nearly as many tracks and modes if it wasn't for Blu-ray?

Top Bottom