• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Details about Playstation 4 OS development

stryke

We have some details about the development of the Playstation 4 OS.

The Operating System is called “Orbis OS”. It is a modified version of FreeBSD 9.0.

We aren’t sure if this will bring again the “Other OS” functions to Playstation 4 (remember that this option enabled Playstation 3 to install other OS in the console like linux or windows).

When you boot up a second-gen development kit, you will be prompted with several options, as you can see in the next captures:

310.jpg

More options appear when you choose startup settings:

410.jpg

As you can imagine you have either a console mode or a graphic mode (the one you will see in a retail Playstation 4).

Here you can see some images of the console mode and some of the files/directories in the devkit:

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

Honestly I don't know if there's anything significant in these screenshots :/

http://www.vgleaks.com/some-details-about-playstation-4-os-development/

test_account

XP-39C²
"We aren’t sure if this will bring again the “Other OS” functions to Playstation 4 (remember that this option enabled Playstation 3 to install other OS in the console like linux or windows)."

I think we can pretty safely say that this feature will never be included again after what happened with the OtherOS. It was hardly a selling point to the general public and it only led to problems for Sony in the end.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
All I learned from these screenshots is that Grub allows for options below a menu. I wasn't aware of this.

bomblord

Banned
There's nothing significant here it's basically a screenshot of a command line. It's either a debug mode or an incredibly early build made before the GUI was finished. All the stuff your seeing is just file paths.

Sethos

Banned
That is actually how the console will ship, with that UI.

Every week you need to recompile the kernel and to start a game, you need to write about 260 lines of code.

netBuff

Every week you need to recompile the kernel and to start a game, you need to write about 260 lines of code.

Compiling a kernel is easy to do, bring on the text-based interface!

Nicktendo86

Didn't Sony include 'Other OS' just so they could claim the PS3 was a computer to avoid taxes?

That's how I remember it, in fact I remember a fact sheet or FAQ from Sony with answers along the lines of 'PlayStation 3 is not a games console, it is a cioputer'.

If you listen to some of these microsoft fans, thats exactly the amount of effort required to change games.

Durante

Honestly I don't know if there's anything significant in these screenshots :/
Not really. Standard C/C++ libraries + Sony's proprietary libraries. Nothing unexpected (it was expected to be BSD-based again. Just makes sense).

If you listen to some of these microsoft fans, thats exactly the amount of effort required to change games.
No, you got that wrong, that's the amount of effort required to run games on PC.

Omni

To be fair, when it's cold and you're in bed playing a game and decide to switch to another, the last thing you want to do is get out and grab a disc. So much effort

not even joking

Sethos

Banned
So, no need for 3GB of RAM for the OS to run right?

Maybe not even 1 GB?

We're pretty certain it won't be those insane Xbone 180 numbers of RAM reservation, however 1GB was my guestimate a few months ago, the rumour so far is 1GB so I'd bet a dollar that it will be 1GB. Seems like a reasonable amount, especially for overhead as well and to provide a smooth experience.

Maybe not even 1 GB?
Yeah, 1GB should be more than enough, we knew it when Cerny said *BSD anyway. I just wanted to know which *BSD. FreeBSD makes the most sense, because the required drivers etc. are already in the ports.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Maybe not even 1 GB?

That doesn't really depend on the OS. You can scale pretty much every OS in terms of memory consumption. The actual memory footprint will mainly depend on how much spare memory Sony wants to reserve for potential future background functions. Sony won't be able to increase this amount in the future without increasing the actual hardware memory in the process, as games will most probabliy utilize all available memory. So they will reserve more memory than they actually need at the moment, ust to be on the safe side.

And I believe also to get some media attention and sell a couple thousand to universities, armies and other institutions.
Some EU countries imposed a tax that didn't apply to computers so the PS3 tried to be classed as a computer. That tax was lifted a few years ago.

Sony has plans to sell the PS3 in China and likely the PS4. Game consoles are not allowed but a computer would be. Security for the PS3 was an issue but the PS4 design uses a separate SoC as southbridge that contains the IO and a ARM Trustzone CPU. A future late 2014 PS3 might also have a Trustzone processor.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48697989&postcount=60

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48901230&postcount=62

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61980641&postcount=75

Also I seem to remember a Sony employee saying the game side of the PS4 was to be FreeBSD but the App and OS side was "a simpler Linux", The Game Developer platforms would be using FreeBSD and likely no developer has seen the OS/APP side of the PS4. Because of that statement and Energy Star regulations I've speculated that the second SoC as southbridge is a low power SoC running it's own ARM code and may have it's own memory and GPU.

Then there was a Cerney statement that "HSA makes the developers job easier" with speculation that a HSA_IL engine may be in the PS4. It does not make sense to use a HSA_IL engine that has overhead that keeps the developer from getting to the metal but the OS/APP side could be running under HSA_IL.

Didn't Sony include 'Other OS' just so they could claim the PS3 was a computer to avoid taxes?

I think games consoles always had to pay an extra tax in Europe because the were considered "computers".

Then the law changed around the middle of PS2s lifecycle, which led to a price drop.

That's how I remember it, then it changed into the folklore of the PS3 OS.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So the article is call "Details about Playstation 4 OS development" with no actual details?

What is Wave?

Oppo

That's how I remember it, in fact I remember a fact sheet or FAQ from Sony with answers along the lines of 'PlayStation 3 is not a games console, it is a cioputer'.

omigod. that rumour has been around since the PS2 ("computer entertainment system" to avoid import taxes etc)

it's apocryphal.

Top Bottom