• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PSX/PS2/DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, BLU-RAY 720p!!!!)

Banned
Seems that the scaling is best set to Normal, and Smoothing off. The smoothing doesn't remove the aliasing at all - it's still there, it's just filtered, which looks awful - similar to what you get with a flicker filter in games.

Fullscreen upscaler just stretches all the 4:3 games out full width, which doesn't look good at all, and when I put my TV into 4:3 to compress it again, it ended up looking worse than "normal" upscaling.

Slight improvement to the look of games, it is not significant though, from what I have seen. (FFXII and MGS3 are all I have left now)

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Anyone know what the new options in the display section do exactly?

Cross Color Reduction Filter - On/Off

RGB Full Range (HDMI) - Limited/Full

Y, Cr, Cb Super White (HDMI) - On/Off
Cross Color Reduction Filter is for composite video, leave it off.

RGB full range will be outputting 0-255 via HDMI, rather than 16-235. (similar thing to what MS did with the VGA update)

Not entirely sure what "super white" is though.

dralla

the update was running on my PS3 and a message popped up on my PC. it recognized my PS3 and alows me to stream. nicccce.

JB1981

I might be imaging things but God of War 2 seems to perform poorly upscaled and there seems to be a slight button lag thing going on.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
bishoptl said:
Thx for the heads up, SpacLock. That fanboy shit can run on GameFaqs, not here.

Downloading the update now...plz don't brick my PS3 Sony :|

**** me in the goat ass

tell me more

edit: someone tell me how to configure my Mac and my PS3 to stream.

SpacLock

HERE... SHIT!

SOTC on my LCD. Date and time is wrong of course.

100_3760.jpg

Zoe said:
Are you sure that the videos you're trying are in supported formats?

yeah...they're regular WMV files pulled from Gametrailers....like the Assassin's Creed Trailer...

here's the error:

(Icon pops in top right hand corner)

"A Connection to Media Server could not be established, check the settings for media server and devices"

...as I said, I can stream to my 360 just fine...

oh and btw

KILLZONE NO LONGER JAGGY MESS WITH PS3 SMOOTH SCALER!!!

Dot50Cal

Banned
So my camera didnt take such hot pics this time, but the thing to pay attention to here is Chris ID number. The best combination is clearly filtering + upscaling both ON or Filtering only on depending on what you prefer. Here you go (big)

chriscomparesd1.jpg

Without filtering the ID number and a number of other things have a halo effect around them. This is eliminated entirely when you enable filtering.

Rhindle

AgentOtaku said:
yeah...they're regular WMV files pulled from Gametrailers....like the Assassin's Creed Trailer...

here's the error:

(Icon pops in top right hand corner)

"A Connection to Media Server could not be established, check the settings for media server and devices"

...as I said, I can stream to my 360 just fine...
Give it a while. It apparently takes some time to establish a handshake with the PC server, but it works eventually.

That having been said, the DLNA streaming is a bit of a joke. Barely anything works, other than the picture viewer.

Rhindle said:
Give it a while. It apparently takes some time to establish a handshake with the PC server, but it works eventually.

That having been said, the DLNA streaming is a bit of a joke. Barely anything works, other than the picture viewer.
maybe your right....because my MP3 library wasn't initially displaying as well

Zoe

andrewfee said:
Fullscreen upscaler just stretches all the 4:3 games out full width, which doesn't look good at all, and when I put my TV into 4:3 to compress it again, it ended up looking worse than "normal" upscaling.

In my case (4:3 CRT HDTV), fullscreen with widescreen settings in-game seems to be the way to go. With "normal" it was in a small box similar to SD content on HD broadcasts, so I would have to use my TV's zoom feature.

Aleman

Dot50Cal said:
So my camera didnt take such hot pics this time, but the thing to pay attention to here is Chris ID number. The best combination is clearly filtering + upscaling both ON or Filtering only on depending on what you prefer. Here you go (big)

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2467/chriscomparesd1.jpg

Without filtering the ID number and a number of other things have a halo effect around them. This is eliminated entirely when you enable filtering.

Looks like the scaling itself doesn't affect the image quality much.

Zoe

FormulaOne said:
Sony is not allowed to - no upscaling via analog. Blame the MPAA for this one.

Except the wording in the update leaves it open for some DVD's to work with component.

Unless they were just referring to DVD-R's...

JB1981

My music wasn't showing up earlier but now it's all there. I'm gonna add some videos and see what happens.

PS2 upscaling is just ok.

DVD upscaling is superb, however. Very happy with that.

garrickk

Someone needs to start an official DNLA streaming thread!

I have my PS3 connected to my PC using TVersity (added TVersity to the Windows Firewall exception list - local net scope only) and I can see my shared files, but the mp3 files are unreadable.

Sorting files now has a TON of various looks.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
andrewfee said:
Seems that the scaling is best set to Normal, and Smoothing off. The smoothing doesn't remove the aliasing at all - it's still there, it's just filtered, which looks awful - similar to what you get with a flicker filter in games.

First of all, "full screen upscaler" is there for games that run in 16:9. Otherwise, it displays the game at 4:3.

Secondly, I think you're crazy if you think that the upscaling doesn't make the games look a ton better. Go back and look at SOTC on a regular PS2... or FFXII. Hell, even GoW2. I was looking at a lot of poly edges, and I'd say that the games are about half to 1/4 as jaggy as before.

tanod said:
They did that too. :D

I was still d/l. Holy f***ing shit they did! Even though I intentionally have the system to output 720p and no 1080i/p, now if the movie is film sourced the system automatically starts putting out 1080p24 over HDMI. Wow, best update ever.

Funny to pop in a DVD and get a 24p opening roll, then watch it switch to 720p for the menu, then 1080p for the movie except for the MPAA rating which still gets output in 720p because it isn't 24p sourced.

Gonna go check Planet Earth, I wonder if it is 24p encoded.

Mmmkay

Aleman said:
Looks like the scaling itself doesn't affect the image quality much.
Going through HDMI and on a good TV it shouldn't that much. The update means it's the same 'good' experience for everyone, as opposed to those only with good quality HDTVs. I'd like to see some comparisons over Component as that might have more of a difference.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The PS3 is seeing my PC, but when I try to display files (music, vids, photos), I get a connection error.

Odd, because I got a prompt on my PC to allow the device, and I allowed it. (Just checked it in WMP11). It shows up as "unknown device" and on the PS3, I can't access any of my media.

Works just fine on the X360 though.

calder

Mejilan said:
The PS3 is seeing my PC, but when I try to display files (music, vids, photos), I get a connection error.

Odd, because I got a prompt on my PC to allow the device, and I allowed it. (Just checked it in WMP11). It shows up as "unknown device" and on the PS3, I can't access any of my media.

Works just fine on the X360 though.
Exact same here, WMP 11 isn't working properly, my PC shows up on the PS3 but while I can see photos trying to access songs or video cause an error message. I wonder if this is related to some dumb router issues I still have, I have UPnP enabled on my router but the PS3 test fails for UPnP, and my router can not see my PS3 device name.

I have to get up early for work tomorrow, but I'll fiddle with it after work I guess.

ryoohki

The Police Card is nice, but that 2D, just like DVD upscaling can't do anything really to help it out but clean it a little

Can you take a screen, with the 3D model in it, since 3D object can be cleaned.

Like the 360, it should help, but it won't make the game look like next gen...

Brofist

:lol what a ****ing time for my PS3 to die on me.

ah well, it'll give me time to pillage used game shops for some PS2 games I missed.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
calder said:
Exact same here, WMP 11 isn't working properly, my PC shows up on the PS3 but while I can see photos trying to access songs or video cause an error message. I wonder if this is related to some dumb router issues I still have, I have UPnP enabled on my router but the PS3 test fails for UPnP, and my router can not see my PS3 device name.

I have to get up early for work tomorrow, but I'll fiddle with it after work I guess.

I'm thinking we're having the same problem. Testing my network connection now via the PS3, and it's taking forever... and crapping out at the PSN part. Weird.

Ok, now PSN works, but UPnP fails. And NAT Type 3? WTF.

JB1981

Looks like video streaming doesn't support very much unfortunately. :(

well, definitely doesn't support WMV HD files. They're basically all I have on my PC at the moment.

it does seem to support mpegs though! lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Does this update add support for new video file formats or is it still .mp4 like before? I'm not expecting Sony to support WMV since it's patented by MS, but you never know.
Are games upscaled via component? 720p bluray via component too?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Blimblim said:
Does this update add support for new video file formats or is it still .mp4 like before? I'm not expecting Sony to support WMV since it's patented by MS, but you never know.

.mp4 and .mpeg2 i think

Rhindle

calder said:

Basically getting the same result here. It recognizes photos and SD MPEG-2 videos, everything else either isn't recognized or results in a connection error.

Plus it randomly recognizes some folders but not others. And it won't access my music folders at all without timing out.

Doel

I just took these shots of SOCOM 2. It actually looks kind of better in 480p imo, but there is hardly any difference. Full Screen and Smoothing are both turned on in the XMB. And the picture is being stretched to Full Screen on the TV for 480p.

480p:
SOCOM2480p1.jpg

720p:
SOCOM2720p1.jpg

480p:
SOCOM2480p2.jpg

720p:
SOCOM2720p2.jpg

480p:
SOCOM2480p3.jpg

720p:
SOCOM2720p3.jpg

480p:
SOCOM2480p4.jpg

720p:
SOCOM2720p4.jpg

Just a question - the upscaling doesn't seem to work 100% for me, it looks nicer, but not really any higher resolution. Does it only work in 1080p? My TV only does 1080i.

Agent X

Mejilan said:
I'm thinking we're having the same problem. Testing my network connection now via the PS3, and it's taking forever... and crapping out at the PSN part. Weird.

Ok, now PSN works, but UPnP fails. And NAT Type 3? WTF.

Since updating to the new firmware, I've been having problems with signing into PlayStation Network. The PS3 seems to automatically fail at signing in when it's freshly powered on. If I sign in manually, then it seems to sign in, but sometimes it drops out after a few minutes. I haven't tried any online games yet, just looking at the buddy list.

Top Bottom