• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PSX/PS2/DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, BLU-RAY 720p!!!!)

Kolgar

OK, I think my RGB-full setting actually stuck today! I'd powered down the PS3 and turned off the switch in the back too because a storm was coming and I was unplugging all my stuff. When I powered back on this evening, the XMB came up and it was dark - 'full' dark - from the get-go.

Anybody else getting it to stick as well?

LJ11

Kolgar said:
OK, I think my RGB-full setting actually stuck today! I'd powered down the PS3 and turned off the switch in the back too because a storm was coming and I was unplugging all my stuff. When I powered back on this evening, the XMB came up and it was dark - 'full' dark - from the get-go.

Mine stuck as well the other day. I was playing ICO on my PS3, turned it off and came back few hours later for some Resistance. Full setting was applied, because I immediately noticed crushed blacks. I need to tweak my settings whenever I choose that option, but I didn't do so because I thought the setting wasn't being applied. Needless to say, I was quite surprised when the setting was applied even though I didn't reapply it.

mackaveli

Kolgar said:

mine has always been sticking ever since i turned it on last wednesday.

disc

Banned
LJ11 said:
Mine stuck as well the other day. I was playing ICO on my PS3, turned it off and came back few hours later for some Resistance. Full setting was applied, because I immediately noticed crushed blacks. I need to tweak my settings whenever I choose that option, but I didn't do so because I thought the setting wasn't being applied. Needless to say, I was quite surprised when the setting was applied even though I didn't reapply it.

I think it makes it too dark for Resistance actually.

Weird problems playing PS2 games.

When I start up any game it starts all fuzzy and there's like this color bar that is faint yet you can see scroll from the bottom of the TV to the top. I have the latest firmware and I'm using component on a 52" DLP HDTV.

Raist

Banned
Kolgar said:

Sometimes it sticks, sometimes it doesn't

And I have no f'in idea of what makes it work or no.

tanod

when is my burrito
Mine has stayed on every time I turn it on.

I'm keeping it off though since my TV doesn't support it. Colors do look better and blacks are crushed but I couldn't see well in dark areas so maybe my next TV will support it, when I upgrade to a 1080p one.

TimeKillr

I just bought a PS3 last week, and I'm scared.

Before the update, I could swap discs while the console was on (just eject and put a new one) and the game would show up on the XMB, but now the XMB refuses to show ANY game if the PS3 doesn't boot with it in it's drive. It's annoying but I can still get it to work.

Anybody else experiencing that?

And it really sucks that 3rd party controller support is broken in 1.80. I just ordered my HRAP3 :(

Alcahest

more on RGB Full bug:

Ok I been reading stuff on here, and I want to clear some things up. First of all Sony has already acknowledged the rgb having a bug. The bug is just switching to limited on the xmb. It does this because the PS3, which as already been explained does not do rgb full for anything other then PS3/PS1 games and XMB. If you launch a bluray/dvd/or PS2 game, the PS3 goes to limited, and stays there when going back to the XMB. Sony needs to make RGB full a universal setting, or better yet just a 1080p setting. The big problem which I have explained on the avsforum, is the fact that many tv manufactures run 1080p and only 1080p thru the pc circuits. This is a problem because that means the tv wants a pc colorspace (0-255) for 1080p, and limited or video colorspace (16-235) for every other resolution.
If sony makes RGB full universal for everything, then using one of these tv sets would have severe black crush on any other resolution other then 1080p. This can be verified by setting rgb full and playing resistence, you will notice severe black crush because the tv wants a video color space and the PS3 is sending out PC colorspace. Sony needs to do two things. One fix the bug were it switches to limited on xmb after launching a non supporting applicaltion " Bluray/PS2 game, or upscaled dvd. Second Sony needs to make the rgb full mode have a apply to 1080p only, and on all applications. They can make this happen because if you look at Sony's stand alone blue ray player, it has a pc rgb output. All the new 2008 hdtv's will not have this problem, because they all accept 1080p thru the video circuits, and not the pc circuits.

AZ Greg

Quick question/request dealing with RGB full. I followed the instructions of a previous poster to see if my TV supported that mode and it does. However, as great as it makes games look, it also makes certain things too dark. For example when I play GT:HD the black cars are too dark and the tunnel is extremely dark making it hard to see the car. In order to compensate I know I need to mess with the contrast/brightness but I was hoping someone here could provide me with a tool such as a picture to properly adjust it. I had been using the THX calibration tool on one of my DVDs but as I read in this thread the PS3 reverts back to RGB limited when playing a DVD so that test is kinda pointless. Any help?

SOLDIER

Glad to see the RGB situation has been addressed, and will hopefully be fixed with the next update. I could tell it would switch to limited whenever I booted up a PS2 game, as the black would suddenly grow brighter when the PS2 logo appears. Hopefully this will have PS2 games look even better.

I do have a question though. Do you think there's room to improve the upscaling feature of the PS3? Smoother textures is nice, but I was really hoping to make them sharper, like what is done with emulation. Is it still possible, or is this the best we'll likely get?

SOLDIER said:
Glad to see the RGB situation has been addressed, and will hopefully be fixed with the next update. I could tell it would switch to limited whenever I booted up a PS2 game, as the black would suddenly grow brighter when the PS2 logo appears. Hopefully this will have PS2 games look even better.

I do have a question though. Do you think there's room to improve the upscaling feature of the PS3? Smoother textures is nice, but I was really hoping to make them sharper, like what is done with emulation. Is it still possible, or is this the best we'll likely get?

It's possible, in theory, to natively render all PS2 games at 1080p (though 2D elements, like menus, would still not look so hot) with improved textures. We know the RSX is capable of rendering far more complex stuff than any PS2 game, and we know the PS3 can take care of any of the data processing of a PS2 game, but all that is still probably a while away, if it ever happens. I think it'd show a FANTASTIC commitment to backwards compatibility from Sony if they did it.

Triz

I know this is the praise thread, but has anyone had this patch **** thier network up? I cant connect to the Playstation store for shit. When I turn on my PS3 it never signs in. Tells me I have a DNS error. then it kills my router. the computer wont connect at all, forcing me to reset the router and modem.

Everything was fine pre 1.8.

Anyone?

disc

Banned
badcrumble said:
It's possible, in theory, to natively render all PS2 games at 1080p (though 2D elements, like menus, would still not look so hot) with improved textures. We know the RSX is capable of rendering far more complex stuff than any PS2 game, and we know the PS3 can take care of any of the data processing of a PS2 game, but all that is still probably a while away, if it ever happens. I think it'd show a FANTASTIC commitment to backwards compatibility from Sony if they did it.

The textures would still be lowres, you'd get sharper edges but still the blurry messes of textures.

tanod

when is my burrito
Triz said:
I know this is the praise thread, but has anyone had this patch **** thier network up? I cant connect to the Playstation store for shit. When I turn on my PS3 it never signs in. Tells me I have a DNS error. then it kills my router. the computer wont connect at all, forcing me to reset the router and modem.

Everything was fine pre 1.8.

Anyone?

Been discussed many times. Try turning off "media server" under "network settings."

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Does anyone think Sony is going to continue the 'new ps3 firmware update' every 3-4 weeks? They have done it so far since February, right?

tanod

when is my burrito
Bad_Boy said:
Does anyone think Sony is going to continue the 'new ps3 firmware update' every 3-4 weeks? They have done it so far since February, right?

Yep, it's been every fourth Wednesday night of the month. I really hope 2.0 is coming on the 27th.

Wollan

I think we will see the next one the week before E3. Not because of a megaton or anything but nice buzz going in doesn't hurt. (Ecspecially if it's XMB in-game implementation)

tanod

when is my burrito
The Wednesday the week before E3 is a holiday in the US so I'm gonna guess it wouldn't happen on that day.

Raist

Banned
The Official PAL PS3 BC site is now up to date with the 1.80 FW.

A few days ago I listed some PS2/PS games I own to see the changes.

Here we go.

(stars stand for squares in the site, and 0 stands for not listed aka not working)

MGS2 Substance : * -> **
MGS2 : 0 -> ***
Okami : * -> ***
Suikoden V : 0 -> ***
SMT : Nocturne (Lucifer's Call in Europe) : ** -> ***
Rayman 3 : 0 -> ***
Jak 2 : * -> ***

All PS games I tracked didn't change (FF6 *, FF9 **, FFV ***, FF8 *, FF7 0, Broken Sword 0, Broken Sword II ***, GTA2 ***, Soul Reaver *)
Looks like they're not updating PSone games...

Games that were not listed and still are not :
MGS3
R&C 3
Jak & Daxter
Silent Hill 3

Games that used to be on the list and that have disappeared :)/)
FFX
FFXII
DQVIII
R&C I and II
Jak 3
Silent Hill 1 and 2

It should be noted that the list looks like it's incomplete. Under "F" only one game is listed. SO I don't know if a big bunch of games are not compatible anymore (I doubt it, FFXII works and is not listed), if they haven't finished updating the list, or if they just updated the list with games for which status has changed. The latter could be true for PS2 games but not for PS games. As I said, all PS games I own are still listed and their status is the same than with the 1.70 FW.

tanod

when is my burrito
Crisis said:
Okay, GAF. I've tried to read through this thread to find the answer to a problem I'm having after this new 1.9 update. Unfortunately with so many pages it's difficult to find out the answer. I tooled around with the upscaling a little bit after it first came out but by and large haven't played anymore PS2 games since. I was messing around with God of War and on my HD set I can't make the game play without vertical horizontal bars on each side of the screen. Even setting the game itself to widescreen leaves bars on the side of the screen. For reference I have a 50 inch 720p/1080i TV. Can anyone give me some suggestions for PS3 settings and or in-game settings that might make this go away?

It's your TV and I can't say I know what to do since I don't have that one. There may be some settings on your TV that you can adjust. This is called underscanning/overscanning and results from the output resolution being slightly different from what your TV supports natively or can scale to fit your screen correctly.

Ploid 3.0

I'm having problems making PS2 games look ok* on a 720p tv. They look much better on my SD tv. I tried almost every game setting and have madden08 set to no upscale and no bonus smoothing stuff as a result to make it look the best. Recently tried GOW2 since people seem to have more success with progressive scan compatible games and it still looks worse. Maybe it's the free AA that SD screens give that's my problem. Also widescreen don't seem to work on GOW, and I'm thinking I supposed to have progressive scan on off in the options, otherwise it force my tv into 480p mode. I went back to playing it on PS2.

Ploid 3.0

Well yea it might get locked now but I was actually hoping someone would chime in and give me a recap on the optimal settings to make ps2 games look good on PS3 upscale thing. If HDMI is worse than component (don't have component cable to try), or something else. I used the search function.

djkimothy

Ploid 3.0 said:
Well yea it might get locked now but I was actually hoping someone would chime in and give me a recap on the optimal settings to make ps2 games look good on PS3 upscale thing. If HDMI is worse than component (don't have component cable to try), or something else. I used the search function.

With the latest firmware you can change the upscaling settings while you play the PS2 game. So just choose a setting that works for you. Some people like the smoothing turned on for certain games. Some don't. Just make sure that widescreen games have "full screen" mode enabled, and that 4:3 games have "normal" mode enabled. Other than that, play with the settings.

Top Bottom