• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PSX/PS2/DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, BLU-RAY 720p!!!!)

Mmmkay

Cool, it seems that some games which did not previously support background downloading now do. flOw and Tekken are two I own that used to not support it, now it will start downloading but only once you've started playing the game. It's odd, they both won't allow downloading while in the menus and stuff beforehand, unlike how it works with most games. Go! Sudoku on the other hand will still not background download at all.

bill0527

Anybody know what the hell is going on with this update?

I just walked into my house about an hour ago from an 8-day Florida vacation where I had access to the internet for all of about 15 minutes during the week.

I tried downloading it through my PS3 twice now and it stops at 33%, and gives me an error code.

I tried to download it from the Playstation site and put it on a SD memory card and install it manually, but it will only download about 22MB of the 103MB firmware upgrade file and when I put my SD card in the PS3 and try to read it, it tells me that the data is corrupted.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Stinkles said:
You have to remember, that even if a site ends up with a bias, it's almost certainly not deliberate
You mean like when Inq. uses a profanity in every second word in their articles about Sony or NVidia, that's purely by accident? After all, writting the F words is something that just slips off the keyboard when you're not looking right?

FightyF

Banned
Ragnarok10 said:
It appears the 1.8 update also allows background downloading during F@H! Very nice update Sony!

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed that. Excellent feature!

My BluTooth Headset hasn't worked since the update...anyone else having a similar issue?

Some different scenarios:

-Register the device all over again, it registers fine. Go to test it in "audio settings", and it works for a second and doesn't work again. Went into Resistance and nope, it doesn't work.

-Attempt to register it, but when I select "Scan", it freezes there and I have to reboot the PS3 via the on/off button.

-Register it, but it doesn't show up in the "audio settings" box as being registered. Get an error message if I click that new button to pair it.

It's a Motorola H350, which according to forums work flawlessly but most of the time I have to pair it with the console when I start it up.

tanod

when is my burrito
bill0527 said:
Anybody know what the hell is going on with this update?

I just walked into my house about an hour ago from an 8-day Florida vacation where I had access to the internet for all of about 15 minutes during the week.

I tried downloading it through my PS3 twice now and it stops at 33%, and gives me an error code.

I tried to download it from the Playstation site and put it on a SD memory card and install it manually, but it will only download about 22MB of the 103MB firmware upgrade file and when I put my SD card in the PS3 and try to read it, it tells me that the data is corrupted.

It may be your ISP giving you timeout errors on the long downloads. Try downloading something else and see if that quits too.

If you are using a router, you may need to upgrade its firmware to be compatible with your ISP. I had to do this recently because none of my video downloads on my PC would finish. They would only get about 50MBs in and then time out.

Fight for Freeform said:

My BluTooth Headset hasn't worked since the update...anyone else having a similar issue?

-Register the device all over again, it registers fine. Go to test it in "audio settings", and it works for a second and doesn't work again. Went into Resistance and nope, it doesn't work.

-Attempt to register it, but when I select "Scan", it freezes there and I have to reboot the PS3 via the on/off button.

-Register it, but it doesn't show up in the "audio settings" box as being registered. Get an error message if I click that new button to pair it.

It's a Motorola H350, which according to forums work flawlessly but most of the time I have to pair it with the console when I start it up

**** don't tell me that!....I just had one shipped from Amazon because of its rep =*(

AgentOtaku said:
**** don't tell me that!....I just had one shipped from Amazon because of its rep =*(

I'm sure they'll fix it. There are also reports of other headsets acting up recently, we probably just hear more about the 350 because it is way popular. My 350 isn't working well with 1.8 either but I'm not panicking.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
My Motorola 500 is doing weird shit too - not picking up audio at all. In the grand scheme of things, I suppose I should be grateful that's all that screwed up with this update. :p

BirdFlu

Banned
bishoptl said:
My Motorola 500 is doing weird shit too - not picking up audio at all. In the grand scheme of things, I suppose I should be grateful that's all that screwed up with this update. :p

There's a lot more wrong with this update than you think. Like Linksys router compatibility with media sharing

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
BirdFlu said:
There's a lot more wrong with this update than you think. Like Linksys router compatibility with media sharing
That's weird, I thought it was just me having network issues with my Linksys router. I tried for a couple of hours this weekend to get media sharing working between my PC and PS3, to no avail. I'm not *too* worried as I was planning on replacing my router with something more robust anyways, but it is irritating.

Mifune said:
For some reason, post-update my 1080p Samsung LCD loses the HD signal when I try to play a BR movie. Games play fine but as soon as the blu-ray disc loads, I get "No Signal Found." I had no problems before this update.

Can anyone help? Or has this been answered a million times already.

EDIT: Figured it out...

Would somebody be kind enough to help me out with this. Same problem same kind of TV: Samsung 1080p 40 inch.

No Signal When Trying to play a Bluray movie.

Trojan X

Banned
I've been experiencing the following issues since this 1.80 update:

- "Home" key/button doesn't work on Playstation 3 Hori Fighters Arcade Stick
- Playstation network sign-in unstable

Question: does Sony have a firmware Q&A or feedback page on their website so we can report these problems in hope that they can make the appropriate improvement on their next update? If not they then need it.

Core407

Banned
Trojan X said:
I've been experiencing the following issues since this 1.80 update:

- "Home" key/button doesn't work on Playstation 3 Hori Fighters Arcade Stick

Question: does Sony have a firmware Q&A or feedback page on their website so we can report these problems in hope that they can make the appropriate improvement on their next update? If not they then need it.

I'd probably look on the official forums. They must have some kind of topic relating to problems caused by the update.

I'm having the same problems, I get disconnected from the network more frequently (as opposed to hardly ever). Not using a router, it's directly connected.

Banned
The Bookerman said:
Would somebody be kind enough to help me out with this. Same problem same kind of TV: Samsung 1080p 40 inch.

No Signal When Trying to play a Bluray movie.
First, try disabling 1080p24. It may be that the television is saying it accepts a 24Hz signal when it doesn't. (I know there are some samsungs that say they don't when they actually do, so it's entirely possible the opposite is true)

If that doesn't work, change BluRay/DVD output from Automatic or YCbCr to RGB and it should hopefully fix things.

it sounds like sony rushed this update out the door a little quick, I know they can't exactly test every router and headset out there but still.

Agent X

Trojan X said:

I had a similar problem for a while. Whenever I would boot the system, it would attempt to sign in, and sometimes flash the "Signed in" message, but then log me out about 2-3 seconds later. The system would then try to reconnect to PSN for about a minute or two before ultimately failing. After that, I could sign in manually and everything would be OK.

The solution is to go to Settings, then Network Settings (at the bottom), and disable the Media Server Connection option. This means you won't be able to stream digital media from your network, but your initial PSN sign-ins upon booting will be stable.

Phoenix

I'm glad they are solving these problems. I may go and pick one up now as my POS XBox360 died on me. Fortunately I purchased it with my American Express so I will use my benefts to simply return the thing to them for credit and pick up a PS3.

Raistlin

I don't know if it's a coincedence ... or I'm just lucky ...

... but I have had zero issue with logons, etc. even while the media server is running.

That said, I am using a LAN connection. Are all the people that are having issues using WiFi?

bill0527

tanod said:
It may be your ISP giving you timeout errors on the long downloads. Try downloading something else and see if that quits too.

If you are using a router, you may need to upgrade its firmware to be compatible with your ISP. I had to do this recently because none of my video downloads on my PC would finish. They would only get about 50MBs in and then time out.

I got it to download later that night. I have no idea what was going on, but downloading anything else on my other devices was working fine.

Jirotrom

Oh! My Car! said:
Balls, 1.80 breaks arcade stick compatibility (VSHG, HRAP etc.) with PS1/PS2 games.
damnit I came into this thread very excited as I finally thought I could upgrade to a ps3...this is a big no no for me.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Fight for Freeform said:
Opposite for me. I have a Motorola HS820 headset which I've had to re-pair with the PS3 every time I want to use it in a different play session. They've made a little headway for me by adding a "Connect Bluetooth" button on the Audio Settings screen (the one where you set Mic level) which allows me to connect my headset with the PS3 without having to re-pair. It's still an extra step each time I power on the PS3 and want to play online, but that's a couple fewer steps than before.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is there a list of TVs that support this new BD 24FPS mode that PS3 supports? What's the pre-requisite for a TV to support this?

tanod

when is my burrito
Onix said:
I don't know if it's a coincedence ... or I'm just lucky ...

... but I have had zero issue with logons, etc. even while the media server is running.

That said, I am using a LAN connection. Are all the people that are having issues using WiFi?

I'm using wireless off of my router and my NAT is at type 2 (90%-95% signal strength; router is 2 rooms away on the same floor). I haven't had any problems with PSN login, download timeouts, and I'm able to access all my Windows Media stuff with the media server.

*shrugs*

Linksys router - WRT4GL (or some combination of those letters/numbers)

I can't play Blu-Ray movies anymore since the 1.8 update.

Anyone else having this problem? It's just not picking up my HDMI connection anymore. I have no problems with DVD.

goddamnit!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Does this allow the 720p-only games like Resistance to play at 1080i for those of us with 1080i-only tv's?

This has been a big reason why I haven't picked up a Ps3. Can anyone tell me if it was fixed?

JB1981

VanMardigan said:
Does this allow the 720p-only games like Resistance to play at 1080i for those of us with 1080i-only tv's?

This has been a big reason why I haven't picked up a Ps3. Can anyone tell me if it was fixed?
Unfortunately, no.

Zoe

The May update for Mainichi Issho is going to allow Remote Play with almost full functionality. It looks like only the Right Brain Battle and Cosplay games are left out right now because of online and motion sensing, respectively.

Firmware 1.8 screwed with my Linksys WRT54G V6 router. Constantly dropping connections. Someone said disabling Media Sharing fixes it but I enjoy the media sharing. You could also use a 3rd party firmware to solve the issue.

Personally I just used a Netopia 3387WG-ENT router instead and it's been fine ever since.

Raist

Banned
Oh well, now i can reboot my PS3 as much as I want, it doesn't switch back to limited rgb anymore.

Don't ask my how I did that, I have no idea :lol

spwolf

VanMardigan said:

no, this has to be done by game, and many new games have this working properly now... probably all the new titles coming out wont have this as an issue.

spwolf

TheJollyCorner said:

Anyone else having this problem? It's just not picking up my HDMI connection anymore. I have no problems with DVD.

goddamnit!

as someone else mentioned, did you turn on 1080p24 mode?

mrpogi23

TheJollyCorner said:

goddamnit!

turn off the 24hz thing in BD settings

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
kaching said:
Opposite for me. I have a Motorola HS820 headset which I've had to re-pair with the PS3 every time I want to use it in a different play session. They've made a little headway for me by adding a "Connect Bluetooth" button on the Audio Settings screen (the one where you set Mic level) which allows me to connect my headset with the PS3 without having to re-pair. It's still an extra step each time I power on the PS3 and want to play online, but that's a couple fewer steps than before.
Thats weird, i havnt had to re-pair my HS 820 for quite some time. Playing Calling all cars with my friend online i hadnt used my HS 820 in months so i recharged it, turned it on and worked fine the week CAC came out(before 1.80).
I have taken my PS3 from my house to my work(after 1.80) and the headset worked fine without having to do anything but turn it on. Also turned it off mid game and turned it back on mid game in warhawk and it comes on with voice in my ear just fine.

Angelcurio

Fight for Freeform said:

It's a Motorola H350, which according to forums work flawlessly but most of the time I have to pair it with the console when I start it up.

I have the exact same issues, but i can confirm that those issues are present since before the 1.80 upgrade. In fact, i started getting them after the 1.70 update, thats part of the reason why i havent been able to resistance lately, i often spend hours before and during the gaf clan meets just trying to make the damn thing work. I still remember a couple of weeks ago when the damn thing wasnt working and m3freak told me to turn it off and on again, and it ended freezing my console.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Raist said:
Oh well, now i can reboot my PS3 as much as I want, it doesn't switch back to limited rgb anymore.

Don't ask my how I did that, I have no idea :lol

Hey Raist.

How'd you manage that?

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
JB1981 said:
Unfortunately, no.

I think it's an unfortunate growing pain -- for some -- that will have to be swallowed whole with a slightly-hairy tickle in the throat for the time being.

Oh well, on to bigger and brighter things. This generation is surely expensive, but at least it's progressive.

binaryburrito said:
Please do. And owners of the Virtua Stick High Grade, please so the same! I want joystick support back in PS2 games!!!

I dont get why they would take it away once the support was already there for arcade sticks.

tanod

when is my burrito
Linkzg said:
I dont get why they would take it away once the support was already there for arcade sticks.

probably a glitch, or maybe they have two different teams working on FW and when of them puts out an update, they don't get all the code changes the other team put in. That would explain the alternating.

Top Bottom