• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny speaking on stage about the PS4

farisr

Cool. Just checked the thread again as the "one last time" for today, was going to come back to it later on in the week. Now I'll have something to watch while I'm eating dinner.

irtJz0sNp9VwG.gif

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This speech is giving me major deja vu. I'm pretty sure I've heard this opening 20 minutes almost word for word when listening to another one of his speeches.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This speech is giving me major deja vu. I'm pretty sure I've heard this opening 20 minutes almost word for word when listening to another one of his speeches.

Within the first 16 minutes he speaks of his history but it gets more interesting after that.

Not everyone know who this guy is and watches all the videos like us.

Yawnier

Banned
Very fascinating video, learning lots of things I didn't know before about Cerny and the various companies/people he is talking about.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Within the first 16 minutes he speaks of his history but it gets more interesting after that.

Not everyone know who this guy is and watches all the videos like us.

Yea I'm further in now and starting to touch on some things I wasn't already aware of. Sounds to me that Cerny really learned a lesson from the hubris around the ps3 launch and early development phases.

Mung

Fascinating, riveting presentation! With Cerny, Shu, House and Kaz, I'm really confident in the future direction of Playstation

Crisco

Banned
So it took nearly 30 years to figure out that the best gaming machine was basically a PC with a unified memory pool. Wow.

Ploid 3.0

Insomniac and ND really were like twins, bros if you will. I loved their PS1 and PS2 game similarity. Jak and Ratchet and Clank was doing this open world stuff that is pretty much my favorite thing in games. Insomniac was good at crazy fun weapons and comedy, ND was wizards at animation and art. They seemed like equals, I'm guessing ND may have had a edge in technical ability at the time. Insomniac have awesome engineers too, especially when PS3 started, Resistance was impressive (large MP count, great breaking glass, ton of enemies).

Vlodril

i find it amazing that they already started thinking about the ps4 since 2007 and researching the tech for it.

also apparently yoshida is the man (not that we didn't already know it :p).

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
So it took nearly 30 years to figure out that the best gaming machine was basically a PC with a unified memory pool. Wow.

Not necessarily the "best gaming machine" but the most developer friendly, because the tools already exist to create, thus less time to get "pixels on the screen", as Mark said.

BadWolf

Great presentation.

Unfortunately I have already heard most of what he had to say here in that interview with the EA guy but Cerny is on point as usual.

He has had one heck of a career and is in the interesting position where he can easily work with both western and Japanese devs with no issues.

Also glad to see Yoshida get some spotlight. Still boggles my mind that someone so high up is so accessible to fans.

Top Bottom