• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny speaking on stage about the PS4

Thorgal

i just re listened to his talk and now i do kinda want a game with 70.000 screaming orcs charging at me that Kutaragi envisioned .

Great talk, very interesting.

This post made me think of Heavenly Sword

Fuck me, I'm gonna have to buy and play Heavenly Sword. The facial animations are incredible!! I just watched a few other videos and i am mightily impressed by not just the graphics but the gameplay too. What is the verdict on this game? I don't mean to derail the thread, in fact feel free to PM me.

As for the speech, I watched the whole thing and I can't help but feel as if the PS4 is absolutely in the right hands. The passion the Sony team has for games is clearly evident, and to echo posters above and at risk of sounding repetitive, i too am giddy with excitement for this system and have not been this hyped for a new console since anticipating the release of the Nintendo 64. Cannot fucking wait.

fvng

I think he's saying that anyone can learn the technologies behind game development, it's their vision for what can be done in this industry that is just inherent in them and not something that can be learned.

No that's not what he's saying at all. Re-read what he said.

disap.ed

No that's not what he's saying at all. Re-read what he said.

I understood perfectly what he said and I agree with him.
For some things you just need "talent" or certain way of thinking. For example I don't get programming at all, it just doesn't make sense to me, all the studying in the world wouldn't make me a second Cerny/Carmack because it collapses already on the very basics.

fvng

I understood perfectly what he said and I agree with him.
For some things you just need "talent" or certain way of thinking. For example I don't get programming at all, it just doesn't make sense to me, all the studying in the world wouldn't make me a second Cerny/Carmack because it collapses already on the very basics.

It doesn't make sense to you because you haven't learned it. Yes anything you haven't studied will seem extremely foreign and alien to you. Programming is not some mystical art only attainable by a select few who were born with the talent. Grab a book from your library and buckle down for a week and you'll be programming something useful relatively quickly.

Don't confuse motivation for some kind of innate talent exclusive to your genetics.

Cerny wasn't born with anything that gave him an advantage over you, however he did put a lot of hard work into his craft (You can see the pride coming off of him as he talks about the fruits of his labor). Don't take that away from him.

alterno69

Banned
Fuck me, I'm gonna have to buy and play Heavenly Sword. The facial animations are incredible!! I just watched a few other videos and i am mightily impressed by not just the graphics but the gameplay too. What is the verdict on this game? I don't mean to derail the thread, in fact feel free to PM me.
It's not a particularly liked game here but i loved it, great characters and story, the gameplay is kinda shallow but still fun, one of my all time favorite PS3 games.

Hearing about the alternative RAM solution they were considering in very intriguing. That theoretical 1000 gb/s performance sounds extremely cool, more in line with what the previous generation would have implemented.

NJShadow

will sleep while listening, dat voice

Ha, very true. I listened to this two nights in a row without making it even 20 minutes in and fell right asleep. Finally got down to watching to the full presentation today, and boy was it incredible.

Not only was this talk phenomenal, but it was actually quite inspiring. Cerny really knows his stuff, and has me excited for where the PlayStation brand is going. Having someone like him at the helm, along with Yoshida's forward-thinking strategy is going to mean magic for Sony.

Can't wait to get my hands on that console! (Side note: This talk has inspired me to get back into coding. I'm seriously thinking about diving back into C++... HARD.)

disap.ed

It doesn't make sense to you because you haven't learned it. Yes anything you haven't studied will seem extremely foreign and alien to you. Programming is not some mystical art only attainable by a select few who were born with the talent. Grab a book from your library and buckle down for a week and you'll be programming something useful relatively quickly.

Don't confuse motivation for some kind of innate talent exclusive to your genetics.

Cerny wasn't born with anything that gave him an advantage over you, however he did put a lot of hard work into his craft (You can see the pride coming off of him as he talks about the fruits of his labor). Don't take that away from him.

I don't deny that you have to work hard to become best in class, but I am nonetheless assured that you have to get some "present" from your parents already. Or how do you explain someone like Mozart for example?
At least you need the talent to motivate yourself, maybe this is the key and we both are right ;)

Applecot

I would refute this by saying I understand programming fairly naturally (don't know why, probably the logical structure) and I've been doing it since I was maybe 9.

On the other hand I know IT students who have trouble grasping the basics despite trying very hard at it. Knowledge and learning is a funny thing.

But yes, ultimately you do need to apply yourself if you truly want to become good at something. I won't argue against that.

Deraj

Somehow this thread is now #TeamNature vs. #TeamNurture .. anyways, "all for one and one for all".. hmm..The Three Musketeers may want to rework that.

Xisiqomelir

Actually, programming is one of those talents where you either get it or you don't

Top Bottom