• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny speaking on stage about the PS4

Less impressive than funding Naughty Dog up as a start-up but it still shows the foresight that Cerny had with a studio like that. Naughty Dog is among the industry's best.

I think he just saw their dedication. This is just crazy

Production of Way of the Warrior began in 1993. During that time Naughty Dog was bankrupt, and barely had any money to finish the game. Friends of the company were enlisted to portray the game's characters. As Naughty Dog could not afford a bluescreen or any kind of motion capture backdrop, a yellow sheet was glued to a wall in the developers' apartment. However, the apartment turned out to be too small. To film the moves in the game, Jason Rubin had to open the front door and shoot from the apartment hallway. The neighbors mistakenly believed that the crew were filming kinky adult films. Pillow cases and sheets, various items within the apartment, McDonald's Happy Meals and inexpensive knick knacks were used to create the costumes of the characters. To round out the experience, Jason Rubin joined in and participated by portraying two of the characters in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_the_Warrior_(video_game)#cite_note-1

silvon

I'm not sure that he had anything to do with founding ND. They've been around since 86. His role was signing them to a three game deal that would turn into Crash. As much as people joke about Way of the Warrior, that was the game that apparently impressed Cerny enough to sign them to that three game contract.

Oh wow, I completely forgot that Way of the Warrior was developed by ND! Them going from that to Uncharted is very impressive.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Anyway, judging from the YouTube, Twitter, NeoGaf comments people LOVE his talks. That makes him a good one by the vote of majority.

All Sony needs to do to win next year's E3 is to have the Three Musketeers there hosting the conference. Cerny can do a majority of the presentation though. :p

I think he just saw their dedication. This is just crazy

That is really crazy. Naughty Dog was so close to not existing and can you imagine if we missed out on games like Crash, J&D, Uncharted, and TLOU? That may have also affected the PS3 in a more fundamental way as well with the ICE team.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
From what I gathered when he had the talk with Rich Hilleman last year (its on Youtube), was yes he was very instrumental in helping found Naughty Dog and Insomniac, as well as two other development studios apparently that didn't survive for long.

He was the president of Universal Interactive Studios for a while, so he had plenty of company cash on him to spend.
Thanks for mentioning this. I'm about a third through it, and it's already great. I know it's been said a million times before, but I could listen to Cerny talk for forever.

Watching the gamelab video.

Y'know I never would have thought that Crash Bandicoot and Spyro were the big budget games of their day.

Not to mention giving the money to these small no-name studios. Talk about playing sneaky with Universals money! Crazy stuff.

Fjordson

That was a good watch. I do a lot of speaking myself and attend a lot of presentations...I don't think Mark is that great of a speaker overall, he comes across as un-emotional.
Interesting. I have to completely disagree with both points. He always seems incredibly passionate to me and looks like someone who truly loves what he's doing. Yet at the same time, he keep it in control enough to not be off putting and is able to get his point across clearly and concisely.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I just noticed that Yoshida has changed his profile and image on Twitter

untitledztbng.png

Amazing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the whole thing. Great stuff in there, for sure.

Really makes me confident that Sony has a great group of people right now and an excellent plan for the PS4. I've got a feeling this is going to be a generation on the level of greatness as the original PlayStation.

This is amazing, and the most interesting thing by far is the time to triangle stuff. I get the feeling more and more that Sony would like to make the indies of today into the juggernauts of tomorrow, and incorporate them into the Sony family. While also making it easier for their current juggernauts (their 1st parties) to release more games.

The fact that they've made ND, SSM, and GG all expand into two teams each means they're heavily invested in releasing games of high quality parallel with high quantity. Even QD has prototypes for their PS4 game going, and they're months out from releasing a new game on PS3. PS4 this gen should be some godly stuff.

Next up:
Buy QD if Beyond is successful. I believe this is likely.
Buy some indie companies.
Expand SP into two teams if Infamous SS lives up to its promise. Because it looks like with Infamous SS, Sucker Punch are ready to join the ranks of SSM and ND in the hall of fame.

Also, this time to triangle stuff seems to show potential for cheaper, faster developed games, but with no sacrifice to quality.

DeBurgo

Cerny's certainly saying a lot of the right things, and it's really reassuring. However, that's also been part of his job for the past several years, so it's easy to see why he might be good at that :)

It was especially interesting see him go into (essentially) how backwards/unprepared Sony was for the next generation during the mid-late ps2 era. He puts a nice spin on it, and acts like the stuff was only really obvious in retrospect, but I think most western devs and even a lot of non-dev hobbyists could have said (in fact, WERE saying) "I told you so" regarding their strategy with cell and their approach to software development on the PS3 in general.

His perspective on herding devs is also really great. His descriptions of how to cater to devs as a first party seemed really fair and even-handed. When I think of developers, I don't always think of a heterogeneous group -- as a player, I tend to discount the opinions of devs that don't like or that I think suck. However, Sony, as a company, needs to consider the needs of all these devs. It sounds like he's making good compromises and persuading the right people in the right way.

PerZona

Watched the whole video and I have definitely learned much about the whole of PlayStation history from Mark Cerny. He's such a amazing guy. Not to mention Yoshida-san as well, he has great vision in people and luckily he trusted in Cerny too. Thank god that PlayStation has people like them.

guch20

Banned
I'm not sure that he had anything to do with founding ND. They've been around since 86. His role was signing them to a three game deal that would turn into Crash. As much as people joke about Way of the Warrior, that was the game that apparently impressed Cerny enough to sign them to that three game contract.
Holy shit! I forgot they had made that game! It was so awesomely terrible. My friend who had a 3DO got that game and we'd spend hours just trying to play it and laughing our asses off.

Watched the whole video and I have definitely learned much about the whole of PlayStation history from Mark Cerny. He's such a amazing guy. Not to mention Yoshida-san as well, he has great vision in people and luckily he trusted in Cerny too. Thank god that PlayStation has people like them.

Never realize Shu Yoshida is that god tier. very forward thinking too, starting ICE team and tech sharing etc.

C-DubSP

Neo Member
Very interesting, I didn't know much about Cerny beforehand, sound like Sony really is fortunate to have him on the team.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Never realize Shu Yoshida is that god tier. very forward thinking too, starting ICE team and tech sharing etc.

Yeah I learned a lot about Yoshida in that talk. Its amazing to see his influence from the background. I thought it was Phil Harrison but it seems like Yoshida was the man pulling the strings from the shadows.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just watched the whole thing, that was an amazing presentation with a great behind-the-scenes look at console development. I appreciate the brutal honesty of the questionable PS3 architecture, specifically the Cell. In retrospect it's mindblowing how they not even once consider third party point of view in terms of software engineering for the PS3. Which also explains the launch line-up and the relatively poor ports.

Thank god for Cerny and Shu for putting his trust in Cerny.

Clott

So let me get this straight, Cerny said no to ESram for a potential 1TB per second, which is basically Xbones design, right?

Clott

This is coming from a guy that does not know in depth tech talk, but for the PS5 can they go against the wishes of developers and go back to 2 memory pools, with let's say a really fast and large DDR5 pool and another EDram pool.

This making the initial jump into the console easy, but leaves technology on the board for the first party to really sink their teeth into.

This is coming from a guy that does not know in depth tech talk, but for the PS5 can they go against the wishes of developers and go back to 2 memory pools, with let's say a really fast and large DDR5 pool and another EDram pool.

This making the initial jump into the console easy, but leaves technology on the board for the first party to really sink their teeth into.

I'd imagine something in the region of 16 gigs of GDDR6, and maybe 512MB-1GB of EDRAM. Of course it will ultimately depend on how technology progresses, and maybe there will be newer and better memory solutions by then, such as an improved XDR ram.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Good googly moogly,

Cerny and Co. seem like they know exactly what they're doing.

Everything I see on the PS4 makes me more hyped than before. I don't think I've been this pumped for a system since the N64.

I always wondered why Sony did all the publishing for every single PS1 Crash/Spyro. The impression I got from what Cerny said is that Universal Interactive Studios was barely a thing. Just Cerny and a bunch of money they threw at him, but no marketing team or anything.

Cerny just played Universal like a fiddle as part of his master plan to recruit Naughty Dog and Insomniac. And Cerny himself is just a pawn in Yoshida's master plan.

Top Bottom