• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Kutaragi Officially Retires

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
TOKYO - The chief architect of Sony's PlayStation game console stepped down Tuesday as the Japanese company struggles to defend its dominance in the video game industry and revive its reputation as an electronics pioneer.

Ken Kutaragi, 56, retired as Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s chairman and group chief executive, the gaming unit said Tuesday. The unit is now headed by Kazuo Hirai, SCE's former president and chief operating officer.

Kutaragi had already been relieved of day-to-day responsibilities as president last year but stayed on as chief executive and chairman. In April, he announced his intention to retire from those positions this month.

Though no longer a board member, Kutaragi will hold an advisory post at the gaming unit, according to SCE official Sayoka Henmi.

The departure of Kutaragi, an icon among gamers, marks the end of an era at Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). that saw the company dominate the video game industry with its flagship PlayStation consoles.

But it also highlights troubles amid a series of blunders over the rollout of its PlayStation 3 and intense competition from Nintendo Co.'s Wii console and Microsoft Corp.'s
Xbox 360.

Kutaragi's most recent brainchild, the PlayStation 3, has been marred by embarrassing production shortages and a $600 price tag that some fans said was too steep. It went on sale late last year.

Tokyo-based Sony shipped 5.5 million PS3 machines in the fiscal year through March 31, fewer than the 6 million the company had targeted. Nintendo shipped 5.84 million Wii consoles worldwide during the same period.

The PS3's hefty startup costs have weighed heavily on the company's fight to drive up profit in its core electronics division. Sony is not expecting to post a profit in its game business until the fiscal year ending March 2009.

The flop has added to the woes facing the maker of the iconic Walkman, which has ceded its leadership in portable music players to Apple Inc.'s iPod.

link

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
POR QUE MARIAAAA?!?!?! POR QUEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Cue huge irrational and emotional argument.

And I swear, people should get banned for not providing a link to the original story.

ZeoVGM

Banned
VanMardigan said:
The flop has added to the woes facing the maker of the iconic Walkman, which has ceded its leadership in portable music players to Apple Inc.'s iPod.

How about a link there, buddy?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
An advisory role eh? why do I get the impression that any "advice" given by Kutargi will be quickly ignored? heh.

Goodbye Ken, you single handedly created, and now nearly destroyed the biggest brand in gaming history (The PlayStation brand), not bad going in retrospect.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nolan. said:
So whats going to happen to this company he was going to be head of with the help of Namco?.

Cellius? He wasn't going to head it, a guy from Namco had the executive role there. He had a chairmanship or some non-executive role on the board of that company, IIRC.

This isn't news as such..it's just today, I guess, is the day that it was previously announced he would retire on, thus it's being reported (again).

Wollan

American leading the company. Brit leading the worldwide internal game/software development. Base of operations in Tokyo. World spanning.

Snaku

Banned
5yhem3c.gif

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sorry about not providing a link initially and thanks to shonuff for providing it. I was having neogaf server errors that prevented me from editing my post at the time.

Sin

Call him crazy as much as you want, but he was a visionary, gaming wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't for him. :(

GhaleonEB

J Allard has got to be happy right now. :lol

Snarky comments aside, I hope that in the wave of articles about him, he gets some respect for what he did with the Playstation and Playstation 2. Hyperbole aside - and the FUBAR that is the PS3 right now - he has impacted the industry as much as anyone ever has and deserves credit for that.

But now he's off to retirement.
The fourth dimension.

Jeff-DSA

I wonder where he'll end up or if he's just going to enjoy the extended fishing trips.

Ken Kutaragi gave the gaming world a lot. He was responsible for a big expansion period in the industry and for a great line of products. Happy trails, Ken.

Madman

Satter said:
President of Microsoft of Japan confirmed!

Seriously, it was only a matter of time before this happened.
Yes, it was only a matter of time. Since this was announced months ago:

April 26, 2007 | 1:49:18 PMCategories: Business Matters
Ken Kutaragi, the man widely regarded as the father of the PlayStation, is stepping down from his role as Chairman and Group CEO of Sony as of June 19, 2007, Sony announced this morning.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/04/ken_kutaragi_st.html

Top Bottom