• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Do you guys remember the scene on the University of Easter Colorado's campus (Go Big Horns!) when Joel fell into that steel pole?

Can you remember how you felt at this moment during your first playthrough? Because I wasn't afraid for Joel. I was super afraid for Ellie at this moment! It's strange, isn't it? And then Ellie started to shout commandos at Joel and shot all these hunters to protect him...

This scene was overwhelming.

I was already thinking to myself, "how is she gonna survive without him?"

But the real tension came after that, when you start the next chapter as Ellie. Holy shit was I ever tense until it became obvious he was still alive.

Imm0rt4l

Do you guys remember the scene on the University of Easter Colorado's campus (Go Big Horns!) when Joel fell into that steel pole?

Can you remember how you felt at this moment during your first playthrough? Because I wasn't afraid for Joel. I was super afraid for Ellie at this moment! It's strange, isn't it? And then Ellie started to shout commandos at Joel and shot all these hunters to protect him...

Can you walk? Then fucking walk!!

I was already thinking to myself, "how is she gonna survive without him?"

But the real tension came after that, when you start the next chapter as Ellie. Holy shit was I ever tense until it became obvious he was still alive.

The subtleties of this game still blow my mind "Medicine! Do you have Medicine?!" That sigh of relief when I heard that.

Fistwell

Can you remember how you felt at this moment during your first playthrough?
"BLAH BLAH, BLAH, tough guy dies, how fucking PREDICTABLE" *wet fart noises*

But then he didn't.

Vasili2K38

I don't think it has been posted, a curious easter egg in TLoU from Uncharted 3, credits to Joanastic from Elotrolado forums:

vitrinas.png

timones.png

brujulas.png

vitrinas%202.png

Victarion

That's what I did. Started on Hard, then Survivor, then Survivor+. There's a method that allows you to just skip to Survivor+ so try that.
I did that and skipped to Survivor+ and saved on a second slot. But according to the save file I only have 35 collectibles which is weird cause I got 119 on the main menu. Does that mean if I miss any of the previous collectibles I'm not gonna get the trophy? Cause every collectible that I got on my first playthrough are still there in the game world.

Just finished the game on Hard (and Listening Mode Off). What an experience, just no words to describe it. Best game I've played since the original Metal Gear Solid. Every 15 minutes I was like: "Holy fuck, this game is amazing"!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So, pretty awful bug I ran into... I'm in a survivor+ game, at
the graveyard
, and now the game refused to reload the checkpoint if I die. It locks up my PS3 slim, every time.

Gross.

I'm trying to see if there's a way I can use the
propane tank to kill the clicker and runners in the back yard
, mostly out of curiosity, I've beaten the game enough times now I'm just experimenting with it. Anyway, if I screw it up
I just let the clicker kill me
. But then I get the black screen and frozen PS3.

Finally wrapped up. I thought
Winter
was so horrdenous (gameplay wise, I liked the plot) that I had to play in spurts to keep from losing complete interest in the game.

Final time was 29 hours, 25 minutes.

Off to the spoiler thread.

Just finished the game... damn. Right up there as one of the best games this generation. I have more to say but I'll probably sleep on it and post it in the spoiler thread, but that was one hell of a ride.

I was more afraid of Joel tbh. I didn't want him to die partly due to it would result in Ellie being alone, and I actually thought they were going to kill him off.

Razgreez

I played non-stop through Fall and Winter. I just couldn't turn off the game before both Ellie and Joel were safe again.

Was the same for me, just completed the game this morning but was intending to complete it last night. Wife kept complaining that i should come to bed but i wanted to see it through. Almost did but left the last bit for this morning

Christ.

This game is fucking terrifying. My heart can't take this shit. My girlfriend and I were jumping and shrieking like fucking pussies. Just met
Joel's friend Bill? Bob?

Christ.

This game is fucking terrifying. My heart can't take this shit. My girlfriend and I were jumping and shrieking like fucking pussies. Just met
Joel's friend Bill? Bob?

i'm playing it with the gf too, on hard with no listen mode, shit is tense! the bad thing is we have a long distance relationship and i don't know when we'll get to be together next, i REALLY want to play it damnit.

we've got a tiny bit further than that point, and it's been absolutely excellent so far. gameplay feels great, loving the visuals and level design, animations (my god i love the animations, seems like they put a TON of effort into it), enemy encounters.. everything. well except Ellie, she is still an annoying little kid, no matter how hard they tried to make her less annoying than kids usually are in videogames. but that might just be me (and my gf). oh well, at least Joel is pretty cool even though he doesn't say much.

I played non-stop through Fall and Winter. I just couldn't turn off the game before both Ellie and Joel were safe again.

I prob would have also done this if it wasn't for me already crossing my fingers each time I played TLoU, in fear of my OG 60G launch PS3 kicking the bucket. Heard so many horror stories about this game bringing PS3 fats to their knees.

So towards the end of Winter I actually decided to just turn off my system and give it a decent cleaning, it was running SUPER loud at this point. It was surprisingly effective because when I booted the game up the following night to play thru the home stretch, it never peaked as loudly as it had been.

Moved onto the MP and it is surprisingly fresh and fun - although understanding some of the intricacies of it are not as clear at first.

Evolved1

how exactly did you clean your ps3?

There are some great youtube walkthroughs out there.

Pretty simple. But you do need a security bit for a couple of the screws iirc, which is kind of annoying if you don't have one.

I think I am near the end of the game
Hospital

This game is something else...I don't know to describe it. It really is a completely unique experience and for the first time since FF7 when I was 13 I don't want this story to end. I almost don't want to finish it. Only great books have entangled my emotions this much.

KorrZ

I actually did that. lol

I beat the game on hard, but I hated how the backpack looked with the upgraded holster for two primary weapons... so when I did survivor I just started fresh and never upgraded that during the playthrough. Yes, I know... I'm very weird.

I never got that upgrade for the exact same reason :lol. I also started Survivor fresh with no new game+ because you're robbing it of the challenge if you do.

I never got that upgrade for the exact same reason :lol. I also started Survivor fresh with no new game+ because you're robbing it of the challenge if you do.

I'm close to starting a survivor run. What are guys talking about? I never upgraded the second holster for either the pistol or rifle. Couldn't figure out what it did.

Oh my god! How could I have missed the
joke book!

"I tried to catch fog, I mist.

"People are making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow."

"Too soon?"

Those little dialogue moments just make the game for me.

WHAT, this was a thing? Where do you find
Ellie's punbook
? I heard about it before in this OT but wasn't sure if it was a serious thing.

Wonder what all the puns are. Fits Ellie's character perfectly.

EDIT: Google'd it... haha loving this. Oh my god the conversations with Ellie and Joel while she says them are hilarious. XD

Wow, all the little details there are fantastic, I really appreciate and enjoy how Joel takes to the puns more kindly and even responds to them as the game progresses.

Evolved1

I'm close to starting a survivor run. What are guys talking about? I never upgraded the second holster for either the pistol or rifle. Couldn't figure out what it did.

Get the pistol one! It looks awesome and it's really handy. It's a holster on Joel that lets you quickly select from two sidearms without going into the "hold X to hotkey" stuff. It's basically a second hotkey.

Same for the long guns, except there isn't actually a physically holster you see... they just slap a second gun on the backpack and imo it looks quite retarded. (winter spoiler:
Ellie has this by default
) I was basically forced to always have the bow equipped for it not to bother the shit out of me lol. And even then it still kind of did.

But the side arm holster is awesome. You should get that one for sure. :)

Alright, so I just got this last week, and I'm at the
graveyard/school
and so far I've run into abysmal checkpointing, glitchy/inconsistent mechanics, and obvious points where 'once you cross this line, fuck the rules, you aggro everyone'.

Then that is combined with the crazy disconnect where you have to be super sneaky and silent while your companions are making a shit ton of noise.

I... am really confused. This doesn't feel like the critically acclaimed game that people have been so positive about.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
*Phew*

Winter
is kind of tiring. Now I am
back controlling Joel again after he arose from his sleep
just after I make Ellie
kill all of those wandering hunters that dare stood on her way
. I mean damn!

It is unfortunate that it is so action packed... to be honest I am now a bit tired and just want to see the conclusion of the game due to how dense the packofenemies-battle-packofenemies-battle-packofenemies-battle pattern seemingly appearing right now.

Get the pistol one! It looks awesome and it's really handy. It's a holster on Joel that lets you quickly select from two sidearms without going into the "hold X to hotkey" stuff. It's basically a second hotkey.

Same for the long guns, except there isn't actually a physically holster you see... they just slap a second gun on the backpack and imo it looks quite retarded. (winter spoiler:
Ellie has this by default
) I was basically forced to always have the bow equipped for it not to bother the shit out of me lol. And even then it still kind of did.

But the side arm holster is awesome. You should get that one for sure. :)

Oh man that's awesome I'm getting that for sure.

Alright, so I just got this last week, and I'm at the
graveyard/school
and so far I've run into abysmal checkpointing, glitchy/inconsistent mechanics, and obvious points where 'once you cross this line, fuck the rules, you aggro everyone'.

Then that is combined with the crazy disconnect where you have to be super sneaky and silent while your companions are making a shit ton of noise.

I... am really confused. This doesn't feel like the critically acclaimed game that people have been so positive about.

Keep going. Report back when your farther

RoKKeR

Loved that part, especially the banter between Ellie and
Sam

WHAT, this was a thing? Where do you find
Ellie's punbook
? I heard about it before in this OT but wasn't sure if it was a serious thing.

Wonder what all the puns are. Fits Ellie's character perfectly.

EDIT: Google'd it... haha loving this. Oh my god the conversations with Ellie and Joel while she says them are hilarious. XD

Wow, all the little details there are fantastic, I really appreciate and enjoy how Joel takes to the puns more kindly and even responds to them as the game progresses.
Yep, not a collectable but a random moment. Either I walked past her the first time or didn't stop to listen, but I am so glad I heard it the second time. So funny.

OnFire331

The only Uncharted easter egg I found during my playthrough was the Uncharted board game in the toy store (there was also a Jak board game IIRC).

ShogunX

I really hope we hear about the single player DLC soon, please? I want more Last of Us goodness.

I hope the DLC focuses on the story telling aspect of the game and we get a couple of episodes showing different people's experiences of what has happened to the world. Maybe even somebody in a different country (would be a lot of work) or even from the perspective of a Hunter or so0mebody who has been recently bitten.

Oh man, reading through the thread reminds me: I hadn't even considered that part of the reason people are having such quick playthroughs is because of listen mode. I turned that off before I began and forgot all about it, and my play time was ~22hrs.

It's about time for some NG+.

sappyday

Oh man, reading through the thread reminds me: I hadn't even considered that part of the reason people are having such quick playthroughs is because of listen mode. I turned that off before I began and forgot all about it, and my play time was ~22hrs.

My first run through was on hard mode with listen mode off. Took me about 13 hours to beat the game. My play style was mix of stealth and combat since pure stealth is boring.

ShogunX

My first run through was on hard mode with listen mode off. Took me about 13 hours to beat the game. My play style was mix of stealth and combat since pure stealth is boring.

I normally end up trying to stealth my way through a cluster of enemies only to fuck it up and end up throwing a Molotov for a quick group kill.

Vasili2K38

First playthrough in Hard with Listen Mode off, around 17 hours. Currently playing in Survivor and I think I'm going to have a playtime of more than 20 hours..

so1337

o_O

Just beat it.

Strongest narrative of any game I have ever played. Man I got to ruminate on this.
Just now? Haha, same here.

The credits revealed to me that
David was voiced by Nolan North.
Crazy.

One thing I really liked was that
the scene where Joel carries Ellie through the hospital evoked a deja-vue within the context of the game.
Super interesting and something that (I think) hasn't been done before.

Vlaphor

Just finished it myself. Had to speed through it a bit since I had it rented through Redbox and every day I kept it was an extra $2, so I beat it in three days. Normal mode.

Combat is fun, but the game gets hell of easy around the middle point, especially since the AI is so abuseable. They always react to bottles/bricks the same way, and the game has tons of them. At one point I was able to create a little death corridor at an area with five or so bottles. One guy wanders over, gets a bottle to the face and then gets stun killed. Other guy walks over to investigate dead body, bottle to the face, stun kill, then repeat with the next guy. Managed to clear out an area that way. Most of the combat was fun though.

Graphics...everything is well designed and put together, but the massive aliasing, notable framerate drops and blurry textures kinda took me out of it. Character models look good though.

One thing that really stood out to me with the acting is that it felt like Troy Baker forgot that his character was supposed to have a Texas accent at times, so he would try to overcompensate other times to make up for it.

Still, enjoyed it quite a bit.

Top Bottom