• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

aparisi2274

I haven't finished the game yet, and I haven't read ANYTHING in this thread yet, so please bear with me if this question has been asked numerous times.

I don't know how far in the game I am, so I can't give an exact spoiler warning. To be safe, only people who have finished the game should read this post. Warning, spoilers.

I just got to the part where Henry kills himself. I don't know if shooting the infected off Sam would have changed things at all. so my question is, does that part play out the exact same each time, or does your decision of which infected to shoot alter the game at all?

Please only respond regarding to the aforementioned part of the game. I don't want to know about anything after. Thanks!

I asked the same question when I got to that part, and there would be no change depending on the decision you had made...

zma1013

Can someone help me here...

I started playing TLoU 2-3 days ago (got my copy very late)

The problem I'm facing is with the sound/audio.

I'm using Pulse Elite Headset and I have the volume slider all the way to the max.

Audio settings are all set to default, still the audio volume is extremely low.

Downloaded the TLoU preset today for the headset and updated it, activated the preset but still no change.

Can anybody help with this issue?

Have you tried seeing if the sound works correctly without the headset? Like on your TV speakers?

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
I haven't finished the game yet, and I haven't read ANYTHING in this thread yet, so please bear with me if this question has been asked numerous times.

I don't know how far in the game I am, so I can't give an exact spoiler warning. To be safe, only people who have finished the game should read this post. Warning, spoilers.

I just got to the part where Henry kills himself. I don't know if shooting the infected off Sam would have changed things at all. so my question is, does that part play out the exact same each time, or does your decision of which infected to shoot alter the game at all?

Please only respond regarding to the aforementioned part of the game. I don't want to know about anything after. Thanks!

The Last of Us has a linear Story. Your decisions do never affect the Story. It always stays the same.

Ellie is quickly becoming one of my fav video game characters of all time.

The dialog between her and Joel is so well written that it really comes off as honest conversation - not some actors reading from a script.

Also I can't get over how many small things the game does so well, it really is the little details, like (very tiny spoiler)
when you are taking your time searching for supplies and Ellie will just hop up on a table and sit there waiting
vs. the usual instance of NPC just standing right next to you looking dumb, that make TLoU stand out from the crowd of modern video games.

The ending of Fall belongs to the hall of fame of videogames. Beginning of winter is... omg. This game.

Holy shit, my thoughts exactly. I am about 83% thru the game, and it just keeps blowing me away!

The documentary on this game should be put up on Netflix, it's really good.

I am very interested in watching the documentary upon completion of the game - is there currently anywhere to view it online? Or is anyone who didn't get the edition of the game that included it SOL?

mrpeabody

Second playthrough. Still really enjoying the dialogue.

(from Joel's first conversation with Ellie)

Where are your parents?

*sigh* Where are anyone's parents?

I don't know why that's so funny.

SlickVic

17 hours in and I'm only 68% through according to the save file. Glad this is a long game, because I just don't want to see it end anytime soon. Whole thing feels like a wonderful journey.

Shining

My four weeks of holiday starts tomorrow and i sure as hell know what i'll be playing the next couple of days. Can't fuckin wait!

A bit of sad news, but Evan Well's dog and one of ND's mascots, Pogo, died :(

untitledt0o1q.png

http://instagram.com/p/bnCEy8iepc/

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
^ .... damn, I apologize for this, but what an ugly dog o_O

Anyways, the
underwater hotel section
was intense! I shotgunned my way out while running like Mario on Fire avoiding the Bloater towards the exit.

Abylim

Just beat it myself.

Gotta admit, the start of the game was abit of a letdown. The 'forced' ammo limits and what not dont gel with me. If I have a big backpack on me, why cant i put another box of ammo in there? or a few more bullets?

But I stuck with it, and dammit all, I loved it. From Fall onwards I was hooked. Doing survivor now.
Possible Game of the year for me, despite it starting off rocky.

Ooh worth mentioning that I encountered the atuosave bug, so I lost an hour or two near the start. That may have coloured me wrongly. Also, encountered a glitch when I tried to stealth kill a hunter, I jumped on his back, he disappeared, then came in through a door and shot the shit out of me while I was still choking the life out of... nothing? lol

DBT85

I finally got the chance to sit down with this yesterday.

The opening to the game before you get to the opening credits. What a great way to start. Liked the intro credit sequence too.

Locke_211

Grrrrr.

So I was halfway through Survivor. And then my PS3 blue-screened. Didn't even know they could do that. But it seemed cool as it said it was rebuilding my profiles and everything.

When it turned back on, my Locke profile was now called *Locke. And when I start The Last of Us, it thinks the save game is from another profile and so won't let me access any of the unlocked stuff. I can see on the Chapter list that everywhere up to Pittsburgh is completed on Survivor, but when I reload my save at the right point it is down to Hard and can't be moved up. Even though the profiles seem ok, it somehow thinks I've imported the save.

Any way out of this?

Cudder

Beat it for my third time on Survivor+ last night. Feels good to skip out entirely on huge firefights and encounters (especially in Winter). Now I just need the collectibles for the platinum. Wondering if I should do one more run on Easy or just chapter select to get them.

Man, I dunno, I haven't been able to get back to this to finish it up for days. The first half of the game I feel the pacing dragged but I really liked most of the encounters. The second half of the game,
the pacing picks up nicely, but the suitably tense "This place is too quiet" moments are only effective when you don't know what's coming next, and what ends up coming next has been decreasingly interesting as it's usually just another set of combat waves with armed humans. So far, searching the Campus for hidden stuff and that one small part of the Dormitory with infected have been the highlights of the second half for me. I was so happy with Winter at first to see some clickers out in the wild, but then there's that wave sequence that culminates in the bloater followed up with even more shooty dudes, and that just took the wind right out of the game's sails for me even though I find the plot developments pretty cool.

I'm just taking a break and waiting for the itch to reach a resolution to get me back into it. Overall I've been quite pleased with the game, but I'm really burnt out on the parts I don't like.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For some reason I felt like one thing that really bugs me is that the shiv should have been the default stealth kill. There's just something off about Joel being able to just sleeper hold people to death in 7 seconds.

Jobbs

Banned
I agree. Ellie is wonderful.

In my eyes the title of this thread nails it: Ellie saying "It can't be for nothing." is the most important moment of the game and the only key you need to understand The Last of Us. What a beautiful tale...

And it wasn't for nothing.

efe84_ORIG-predator_handshake.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That would be bad for shiv conservation.

They could have replaced the shiv with something else, though. It's not so much that I have a problem with the gameplay mechanic, its that it seems weird in such a realistic environment that Joel could sleeper hold people to death so quickly. I guess he could break their neck or something.

Just finished it yesterday on Hard and have already started my Survivor+ playthrough. Absolutely engrossing game no matter how dark it gets. So many memorable characters and areas. I'll save other comments for the spoiler section but just wanted to say that this is the kind of game you loan your system to a friend so that they can play it. Hats off to Naughty Dog and the whole cast for an amazing yarn.

Beat it for my third time on Survivor+ last night. Feels good to skip out entirely on huge firefights and encounters (especially in Winter). Now I just need the collectibles for the platinum. Wondering if I should do one more run on Easy or just chapter select to get them.
Did you make separate save files for your first and second playthrough?

Kaizer

Banned
Just picked this up from GameStop while preordering Dynasty Warriors 8, still pretty early in been rolling with just Joel and Tess so far.

No, I kept everything in one file.

So you beat the game once on normal or whatever, then clicked new game and then overwrote your initial 100% normal file with your survivor run?
Sorry I just wanna make sure I don't lose my data or don't get all the collectibles.

Cudder

So you beat the game once on normal or whatever, then clicked new game and then overwrote your initial 100% normal file with your survivor run?
Sorry I just wanna make sure I don't lose my data or don't get all the collectibles.

That's what I did, yes. You won't lose any collectibles if you save over your initial save. Example: if you found 105 things in your 1st playthrough, then start a new game and save over your 1st save slot but only find 95 things on that playthrough, the game still recognizes your profile as having found 105 things.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That's what I did, yes. You won't lose any collectibles if you save over your initial save. Example: if you found 105 things in your 1st playthrough, then start a new game and save over your 1st save slot but only find 95 things on that playthrough, the game still recognizes your profile as having found 105 things.

Isn't that only for NG+? I'd be careful... an actual "new game" overwrite sounds risky unless you know for sure.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I feel like I noticed something funny that is pretty close to the beginning of the game, I'd say 10% ?

Right after the intro, you get Joel and Tess going after Robert. At that point, I noticed Joel is wearing this red-ish long sleeves checker top. Then you have the chase sequence with Robert and the immediate sequence following that where Joel jumps out of the window, his clothes changed from that to the green-ish shirt he wears from then on in Summer.

Am I going crazy ? Haha

Awesome, thanks.

Isn't that only for NG+? I'd be careful... an actual "new game" overwrite sounds risky unless you know for sure.

Yea see this is what I thought originally. Now I'm hesitant to do it.
Like if I lost my progress it wouldn't be the end of the world but on my first run I collected over 100 collectibles so I wouldn't want to exactly start from scratch.

On the other hand, if the counter isn't cumulative across save files, then making a brand new save file and collecting the remainder of the collectables there wouldn't help me either...

This is all very confusing haha

antitrop

I agree. Ellie is wonderful.

In my eyes the title of this thread nails it: Ellie saying "It can't be for nothing." is the most important moment of the game and the only key you need to understand The Last of Us. What a beautiful tale...
After finishing the game, the title of thread OP was able to get anything else. I'm impressed OP was able to get it right from the start.

I feel like I noticed something funny that is pretty close to the beginning of the game, I'd say 10% ?

Right after the intro, you get Joel and Tess going after Robert. At that point, I noticed Joel is wearing this red-ish long sleeves checker top. Then you have the chase sequence with Robert and the immediate sequence following that where Joel jumps out of the window, his clothes changed from that to the green-ish shirt he wears from then on in Summer.

Am I going crazy ? Haha
Cutscenes are pre-rendered, therefore they always look the same. During gameplay the outfit changes I believe when you are on NG+.

Cudder

Awesome, thanks.

Yea see this is what I thought originally. Now I'm hesitant to do it.
Like if I lost my progress it wouldn't be the end of the world but on my first run I collected over 100 collectibles so I wouldn't want to exactly start from scratch.

On the other hand, if the counter isn't cumulative across save files, then making a brand new save file and collecting the remainder of the collectables there wouldn't help me either...

This is all very confusing haha

Okay just checked, he's right. Collectibles only carry over if you start a new game +. Why would you NOT start a new game+ after your first playthrough though?

Okay just checked, he's right. Collectibles only carry over if you start a new game +. Why would you NOT start a new game+ after your first playthrough though?

Ok cool thanks. And cause my first playthrough was on normal so I was gonna play the game on survivor next and then survivor +

Cudder

Ok cool thanks. And cause my first playthrough was on normal so I was gonna play the game on survivor next and then survivor +

That's what I did. Started on Hard, then Survivor, then Survivor+. There's a method that allows you to just skip to Survivor+ so try that.

Grinchy

Banned
If you make a separate save file when you start a survivor run, you can always go back to your original save file to finish up trophy stuff, right? I made a new save for Survivor because I didn't want to have to think about combing through areas or getting conversations and that kind of crap. I also didn't really want to cheese my way through with the NG+ glitch.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I actually did that. lol

I beat the game on hard, but I hated how the backpack looked with the upgraded holster for two primary weapons... so when I did survivor I just started fresh and never upgraded that during the playthrough. Yes, I know... I'm very weird.

RoKKeR

Oh man, one of my favorite scenes in the game is
the car ride after Bill's. Ellie really starts to loosen up with Joel and her character begins to shine, and Joel's paternal side begins to show. The acting is, of course, incredible, and overall it makes for a beautiful little scene that is a defining moment for both of them.

Endo Punk

This game is so far the front-runner for GOTY to me. It could change once I have more time to think about it but so far in 2013 I have immensely enjoy MGR, Guacamelee and TLOU. Definitely beats the whole of 2012 by a long shot and there are still so many awesome games to come. Can't wait for Puppeteer!

Boss Man

So I finally bought into the hype and I think I just finished what was essentially a tutorial with
Tess
. I'm about 5 - 10 minutes past shooting a gun for the first time.

You guys really weren't exaggerating. That opening scene, and this game. Wow. I can already tell that this is something very special, and I'm going to be taking my time with it. My girlfriend was watching me play (this is not a thing that usually happens) and she was into it at least as much as I was. There were a couple of "Oh shit!" moments for sure. It felt like a real life version of that Uncharted commercial. If I can get away with making a dumb comparison, I feel like this is to the Uncharted series what Killzone 2 was to Killzone. The difference being that Uncharted was already really good.

Make room for me on the Naughty Dog bandwagon, if there's any room.

RoKKeR

Oh my god! How could I have missed the
joke book!

"I tried to catch fog, I mist.

"People are making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow."

"Too soon?"

Those little dialogue moments just make the game for me.

mrpeabody

So I finally bought into the hype and I think I just finished what was essentially a tutorial with
Tess
. I'm about 5 - 10 minutes past shooting a gun for the first time.

You guys really weren't exaggerating. That opening scene, and this game. Wow. I can already tell that this is something very special, and I'm going to be taking my time with it.

The opening scene is ND telling you they are not fucking around. But when you see
20 YEARS LATER
, that's them telling you that it wasn't just the one scene. The entire story is going to be that carefully constructed.

Just finished it with my brother, and for both of us it's indeed Game of the Generation. What can i say? I'm glad we could enjoy something like that together. It's just a beautifully crafted masterpiece.

"It can't be for Nothing" - Indeed.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So many powerful, memorable scenes. It's one after another. Citizen Kane or not, I've never been moved like this in a game.

81% and I don't want it to end :-(

Fuck yeah! Just finished the game. Holy shit what a ride that was. Feel like letting out a series of Ric Flair "Whoooo's" - simply amazing from start to finish. Def in my top 3 favorite games of all time. Gameplay was engaging and fun pretty much the whole way thru. Think my end time is right around 18.5 hours - I really took my time exploring.

About to go hit up that spoiler thread now!

Kopite

Oh my god! How could I have missed the
joke book!

"I tried to catch fog, I mist.

"People are making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow."

"Too soon?"

Those little dialogue moments just make the game for me.
You can only see those from the
cover of the books right? You can't actually read them :(

Top Bottom