• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How many comics? I think 12, but I only found like 4 the whole game, lol.

I found all of them my first time through survivor. In survivor+ there are no comics in the game where they should be, so far.

But all the other stuff is around everywhere. It's kind of weird.

Ourobolus

Banned
How come in plus mode you don't keep pendants or comic books? Those are going to be so hard to find without a guide or some sort.

I managed to get all of the collectibles, and it seems like the game does keep track of which ones you've picked up. Yeah, it respawns all of them in the game when you start a new game, but if you know you are only missing one in, say, Fall, then once you pick it up you should get the tag/trophy.

If you look at the chapter list you can see where you are missing some.

Raoh

I managed to get all of the collectibles, and it seems like the game does keep track of which ones you've picked up. Yeah, it respawns all of them in the game when you start a new game, but if you know you are only missing one in, say, Fall, then once you pick it up you should get the tag/trophy.

If you look at the chapter list you can see where you are missing some.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, didn't know that.

Ourobolus

Banned

If you look at the chapter list you can see where you are missing some.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, didn't know that.

Tip for Winter:
Make sure you read/flip every item in the backpack. I was missing a few artifacts and they didn't register until I did that. Apparently I had forgotten to flip the letter.

Evolved1

You have to flip an artifact for it to register?

Damn... I did my first playthrough on hard, and got a ton of the artifacts. I love reading them, so of course I did. But I upgraded the backpack to hold two primaries, and hate how it looked. So my next playthrough was a fresh run on survivor. I picked up all the artifacts I could find (
sans the backpack stuff I didn't know about
) but didn't flip all of them (since I already read most of them in my hard playthrough) I wonder if that's why I'm still missing a few in my survivor+ run atm.

Ourobolus

Banned
You have to flip an artifact for it to register?

Damn... I did my first playthrough on hard, and got a ton of the artifacts. I love reading them, so of course I did. But I upgraded the backpack to hold two primaries, and hate how it looked. So my next playthrough was a fresh run on survivor. I picked up all the artifacts I could find (
sans the backpack stuff I didn't know about
) but didn't flip all of them (since I already read most of them in my hard playthrough) I wonder if that's why I'm still missing a few in my survivor+ run atm.

I don't know, really. I don't know if I flipped everything (I certainly didn't flip all of the pendants), but it only seemed to be those few items in the backpack that kept evading me getting 100%.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What did they advertise that you feel swindled on?

He said its a "good game," but he thinks a refund is order apparently because a third party said it was the Citizen Kane of gaming and it wasn't. I personally think the statement is patently absurd.

So, I unlocked this piece of concept art after playing trough the game.
I99hxqX.jpg

D: Michelle Rodriguez
K3OUsvk.png

E and F: Penelope Cruz
HLzJMRX.png

G: Jennifer Lawrence
2YSYuwB.png

If you ask me they took this exact picture as a model. Look at the ear!

So Gaf, is it just me or does it look like Ellie wasn't the only charakter whos looks were inspired by an actress(Ellen Page).

baekshi

Banned

So Gaf, is it just me or does it look like Ellie wasn't the only charakter whos looks were inspired by an actress(Ellen Page).
I don't see it with E and F and yeah other 2 look like the exact lol

http://i.imgur.com/K3OUsvk.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HLzJMRX.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2YSYuwB.png[IMG]
[Spoiler]If you ask me they took this exact picture as a model. Look at the ear![/Spoiler]

So Gaf, is it just me or does it look like Ellie wasn't the only charakter whos looks were inspired by an actress(Ellen Page).[/QUOTE]

The lady and I were discussing this with the exact same conclusions just last night. Is this normal for concept art, to do a preliminary model based on someone who won't be part of the project? Not a criticism, I'm curious, I have no idea.

I noticed this too. I think I was wondering which character was this supposed to be for again?
Tommy's wife or Marlene?

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
My friend knows one of the game designers personally, he's from Durham England, I thought i'd try finding some videos on youtube, anyway I found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9yCRzM8zlg

Listen to what he says about working 9 months on Uncharted 3, then spending a month doing experimental work for 'what would be the next uncharted' before working on The Last of Us. ( its around 1:30 in )

Superflat

The lady and I were discussing this with the exact same conclusions just last night. Is this normal for concept art, to do a preliminary model based on someone who won't be part of the project? Not a criticism, I'm curious, I have no idea.

Yea, it's not uncommon in the early stages to start character design with a persona in mind, and looking at actors and people who seem to embody those characteristics. Then they start tweaking/combining their features as development goes on.

RoKKeR

Wow.
Made it to my hometown Salt Lake City! They did a really great job of recreating it and seeing things I've seen in real life realized in this world...it's incredible. And the giraffe moment ...speechless.

Jobbs

Banned
edit: good. but if I hadn't finished the game yet and I just saw that, as I did, I'd be through the damn roof. you gotta watch that stuff.

Septimius

Yes, let's try to remember what thread we're in. I'd even hope for the
seasons
to be spoiler-tagged. I feel people should be able to come into this thread before, during and after playing the game, and not be scared of having any part of their experience ruined. However, we're not
clickers
Jobbs, so let's not
jump at each other's throat
:) That way we're all happy :D

Jobbs

Banned
Yes, let's try to remember what thread we're in. I'd even hope for the
seasons
to be spoiler-tagged. I feel people should be able to come into this thread before, during and after playing the game, and not be scared of having any part of their experience ruined. However, we're not
clickers
Jobbs, so let's not
jump at each other's throat
:) That way we're all happy :D

Given the magnitude of leaving an open untagged spoiler for
the end of the game
in the thread of many people's game of the gen...

It's incredibly insensitive to do that, and my reply reflects that, but wasn't meant personally. I apologize if my urgent tone offended anyone. And let's leave it there.

RoKKeR

Just finished.

Wow, speechless.

Game of the generation, perhaps my favorite game of all time.

Off to the spoiler thread. Wow. WOW.

Given the magnitude...

It's incredibly insensitive to do that, and my reply reflects that, but wasn't meant personally. I apologize if my urgent tone offended anyone. And let's leave it there.

Hmm well...

I think you should tag that hint that its a reference to the end of the game. Because I imagine most people like myself didn't understand it until they completed it. I thought it was just a reference to the name of the Platinum trophy at first

EDIT: Nvm. My fault. Misread things.

Jobbs

Banned
Hmm well...

I think you should tag that hint that its a reference to the end of the game. Because I imagine most people like myself didn't understand it until they completed it. I thought it was just a reference to the name of the Platinum trophy at first

His spoiler was only up for a minute, sorry. Done.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just reached Fall, 11 hours, 61%. That black guy just before this, probably the best animated character I've seen in such a game so far.

Cartman86

Banned

K3OUsvk.png

HLzJMRX.png

2YSYuwB.png

Yeah saw the Jennifer Lawrence one immediately when I unlocked that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gotta go against the flow and say that imho Survivor is the least entertaining difficulty setting. The problem I have with it is the scarcity of resources actually hurts the gameplay because for the overwhelming majority of the time you are stuck to using the same tactics due to lack of materials/ammo.

Also, it tends to make actual exploration kind of pointless because of the overwhelming bias towards materials coming from shiv rooms. It almost always means that the best approach is to get through the game in as quick and direct a way as possible - which really kills some otherwise fun scenarios.

I'm not saying that the added challenge it presents isn't without interest or merit, its just that it narrows the gameplay down to a very specific way of doing things most of the time, meaning that a lot of stuff is borderline redundant.

I'd recommend people stepping up from normal give hard a shot with listen-mode disabled as a follow-up first.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I don't feel like this is the sort of game I can take being challenged with. When I have a bad encounter with infected, my hands shake a bit. I'm a big wuss though, I can't play horror games at all, special exception for TLoU for ND.

Just beat the game today, I'm really happy with the experience - it had the added effect of giving my girlfriend a better idea of the narrative potential in video games. Ending was fine with me, I think something about it resonated with me though - I can see how someone else would have felt... underwhelmed.

Himself

How come in plus mode you don't keep pendants or comic books? Those are going to be so hard to find without a guide or some sort.

That's annoying. I finished the game last night and was hoping that everything I picked up the first time would be gone when I played NG+ so I can keep searching for new stuff.

What does NG+ consist of anyway? You just keep your weapons/health upgrades? Is it more difficult or anything?

Superflat

Gotta go against the flow and say that imho Survivor is the least entertaining difficulty setting. The problem I have with it is the scarcity of resources actually hurts the gameplay because for the overwhelming majority of the time you are stuck to using the same tactics due to lack of materials/ammo.

Also, it tends to make actual exploration kind of pointless because of the overwhelming bias towards materials coming from shiv rooms. It almost always means that the best approach is to get through the game in as quick and direct a way as possible - which really kills some otherwise fun scenarios.

I'm not saying that the added challenge it presents isn't without interest or merit, its just that it narrows the gameplay down to a very specific way of doing things most of the time, meaning that a lot of stuff is borderline redundant.

I'd recommend people stepping up from normal give hard a shot with listen-mode disabled as a follow-up first.

Yea, Survivor mode is a very different game. You're going to be missing character moments and conversations, especially in Pittsburgh if you're not exploring rooms after you cleared out the area for the most part (like the bookstore for example). The gameplay involves a ton of evasive stealth, and you don't want to try anything risky when going against enemies.

I found a certain satisfaction playing through it (Survivor mode made me feel like my heart was going to explode out of my chest in some segments), but I think it was really smart to make it unlock after playing it once.

Nags

Banned
Hard mode was the perfect setting for this going through first time, had listen mode on though. Almost forgot I had it until later in the game though. Started using it really when
winter
starts.
I would really worry about that whole section of the game without listen mode actually, lol.

I don't feel like this is the sort of game I can take being challenged with. When I have a bad encounter with infected, my hands shake a bit. I'm a big wuss though, I can't play horror games at all, special exception for TLoU for ND.

If it makes you feel any better, pitch black surroundings + only narrow flashlight beam to see started getting to me after long play sections.

Whoever at ND understood the importance of getting that flashlight just right, the entire team has you to thank for bringing the game's atmosphere to that next level.

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays around the end of the game when
You pick up a unconscious Ellie and run out of the hospital with her

Loved it and want to listen to it again.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
We seem to be in increasing agreement around various threads.

I feel it my responsibility therefor to mention that I vehemently mostly disliked the TR reboot. I can see reasonable factors that would result in someone enjoying it at least for a single playthrough, though.

Nice one. I'm on a strict gaming budget, and the next "AAA" game I pick up will probably be GTAV anyway, but I appreciate the tip-off!

I'm sure there are some that are getting a lot out of TR, and I hope I'm not doing them a disservice when I say it will probably make a decent lend/bargain pick up for me at Christmas.

Back OT: TLoU is great and Michelle Rodriguez is awful.

Evolved1

Do not tease me with the prospect of ND sci-fi... I will never forgive you.

torontoml

Saw someone mention you could restart a chapter, how do you do this and have all the supplies you had when it started the first time? I missed an optional conversation and would like to get it.

Evolved1

Saw someone mention you could restart a chapter, how do you do this and have all the supplies you had when it started the first time? I missed an optional conversation and would like to get it.

I'm not sure how supplies work... but chapter select is a main menu option.

Harlock

In survivor mode clickers detect you very easy. Every combat going to be a puzzle. And you find almost nothing. Who wish play a game with very very little shoting play in survival.

Top Bottom