• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LAIR thread

theBishop

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
There is however a strong possibility that part of the investment was for research and development of tech for use by SCE studios. And if nothing else, Lair serves as a guiding light for other developers re: what is possible on this system.

Yeah, this is certainly part Sony's massive investment in early software. Like, even if Killzone turns out to be a mediocre game, the technology sharing between other SCE teams is extremely valuable.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
nelsonroyale said:
pretty sure 1up were down on the game for a while, but, yeah, complaints on the controls haven't been substantial. Still, maybe egm staff are quite fat and it genuinly tires them out...Personally, I haven't played a full motion sensing game, so Im not really sure how it controls

You know what, I have this very strong feeling that it's cool to bash anything motion sensor on PS3. I'm pretty sure some reviewers have some kind of macro in their Word software that adds negative comments to a phrase whenever it detects the words "motion sensor" in it. Dunno, it's like motion sensor (on PS3) gets bashed more than it should for whatever reasons. Must be because of all those Jobe-jokes at the time.

Madman

AltogetherAndrews said:
As said, responsive motion control is very possible, as proven by Warhawk.

I wonder though... Factor 5 has emphasized that these dragons are not static crafts, but rather organic creatures, and that this would somehow affect movement. So perhaps some people have problem with this "organic" factor?
I think it reflects the low quality of video game journalism in general. It reminds me of that piss poor F1 CE review where the ****ing moran from Edge never figured out how to turn off the assists. I played the demo of that game 2 times and I figured out all that shit. Which means they probably played the game a bit to get it out of the way, and then just wrote the review.

Stuff like that is what makes videogames so looked down upon. Most reviewers probably go in to the game with a predisposed mentality about it (i.e. I don't like motion controls, this game is hyped for my favorite console) instead of approaching it as a blank slate. It's just sad and is one major aspect of why the industry is not accepted.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
TTP said:
You know what, I have this very strong feeling that it's cool to bash anything motion sensor on PS3. I'm pretty sure some reviewers have some kind of macro in their Word software that adds negative comments to a phrase whenever it detects the words "motion sensor" in it. Dunno, it's like motion sensor (on PS3) gets bashed more than it should for whatever reasons. Must be because of all those Jobe-jokes at the time.
You know what im getting tired of seeing is "the first real good use of sixaxis is its use in x game" I have seen it many times and its just getting old.

theBishop

Banned
captive said:
You know what im getting tired of seeing is "the first real good use of sixaxis is its use in x game" I have seen it many times and its just getting old.

Yeah. I thought Blast Factor had the first good use of sixaxis, and it was a launch title.

tanod

when is my burrito
captive said:

Yeah, it's said but when it comes down to reviews, motion controls = tacked on is what gets written.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
theBishop said:
Yeah. I thought Blast Factor had the first good use of sixaxis, and it was a launch title.

indeed. flOw was also an eye opener in that regard. Perfect I have to say.

JudgeN

This game has been completely trashed and its not even out for 2 more weeks. It's Ok I can imagine the threads when its gets a 8's from other websites and sell 500k in US :lol

RavenFox

Banned
Mustaphadamus said:
what was the "resistance fiasco"
The game was on 1ups bin list until gaf and others played it and saw the review scores were so far off it wasnt funny.[Also other sites werent to fair either to be honest]. Notice there is still an official Resistance thread going strong. All Im saying is Ill play it first, even if it means to rent it.

TTP said:

Yeah, I agree...I mean I haven't played a game with full use of motion sensing, but its been a nice addition in most games...Ive never bought a game with a score like lair got, but for some reason Im still very much interested in the game, barring bad scores across the board, Im just interested in the epic scale of this game

Madman

nelsonroyale said:
Yeah, I agree...I mean I haven't played a game with full use of motion sensing, but its been a nice addition in most games...Ive never bought a game with a score like lair got, but for some reason Im still very much interested in the game, barring bad scores across the board, Im just interested in the epic scale of this game
What has Lair recieved so far? The 5.5 out of 10, the 3.75 out of 5 (7.5 out of 10), and the 9 out of 10, right?

Luckyman

Banned
RavenFox said:
The game was on 1ups bin list until gaf and others played it and saw the review scores were so far off it wasnt funny.[Also other sites werent to fair either to be honest]. Notice there is still an official Resistance thread going strong. All Im saying is Ill play it first, even if it means to rent it.

What? Resistance got very high scores in 1up and EGM.

methane47

Luckyman said:

stealth edit?

no... it got average reviews even though its an awesome game.. It gets average reviews because of the apparently unimpressive first stage as well as it being on PS3.. and anything on PS3 has to suck and be bashed in order to maintain balance in the world.

Luckyman said:
I think you missed the part where he said

RavenFox said:
The game was on 1ups bin list until gaf and others played it and saw the review scores were so far off it wasnt funny

methane47 said:
stealth edit?

no... it got average reviews even though its an awesome game.. It gets average reviews because of the apparently unimpressive first stage as well as it being on PS3.. and anything on PS3 has to suck and be bashed in order to maintain balance in the world.
1up is crazy nice with the stealth edit skills. Just look at the whole David Jaffe fiasco.

dralla

Resistance got 8.5, that's not "average"..it also has a 87% on GameRankings, so the 8.5 is in line with the other reviews.

methane47

dralla said:
Resistance got 8.5, that's not "average"..it also has a 87% on GameRankings, so the 8.5 is in line with the other reviews.

Didn't 1up Stealth Edit the Resistance Rating?

Just like they did when they reviewed Neverwinter Nights 2? Remember they gave NW2 a 5.0 first?

wowfactor

Banned
As announced earlier this week, development on Lair has finished and the game is off to duplication! It will be in stores on August 14. I learned a ton of new stuff making this game - and if you pour 2 1/2 years of your life into something, it had better be worth it on some personal level.

lairDone.jpg

I'm aware of the reviews, of course. Some are very positive, some are not. The common complaint in those bad reviews seem to be the controls - putting the dragon streering on the motion-sensitive SIXAXIS controller doesn't sit well with some of the experienced gamers. First of all: try it out yourself, give it a chance!
And if you want my side of the story, I will share a simple anecdote: Victoria's family, lead by my 83-year old grandfather in law was able to pick up Lair in less than 5 inutes, fly around with the dragon and play the first mission of the game.That experience right there beats anything that the reviewers can say. Because let's face it: the hardcore crowd is an important part of the market, and I sincerely hope that everybody who reads my page and/or hangs out on NeoGAF, IGN, 1UP on a daily basis will buy Lair and enjoy it. Your guys' opinions are important, and they matter.

BUT... making a game that my entire (extended) family can play, that's how we will keep the creative flame (and our industry!) alive.

Check the official sources for more information on Lair. I enjoyed the experience and have tons of ideas on what to do next. In other words, I have already moved on to the next project... :)

P.S.: Hope you like the new vegetation in the final build :)

http://www.langsuyar.com/news/news.html

Madman

methane47 said:
Didn't 1up Stealth Edit the Resistance Rating?

Just like they did when they reviewed Neverwinter Nights 2? Remember they gave NW2 a 5.0 first?
Maybe you are thinking of Killzone: Liberation. The reviewer in question or someone else at 1up did stealth edit the review. And it was later denied by 1up.

deepbrown

Matthias Worch, Game Designer/Technical Art Director at Factor 5, gives his thoughts of finally finishing development on Lair and the positive and negative reviews it has received thus far:

"I'm aware of the reviews, of course. Some are very positive, some are not. The common complaint in those bad reviews seem to be the controls - putting the dragon streering on the motion-sensitive SIXAXIS controller doesn't sit well with some of the experienced gamers. First of all: try it out yourself, give it a chance!
And if you want my side of the story, I will share a simple anecdote: Victoria's family, lead by my 83-year old grandfather in law was able to pick up Lair in less than 5 inutes, fly around with the dragon and play the first mission of the game.That experience right there beats anything that the reviewers can say. Because let's face it: the hardcore crowd is an important part of the market, and I sincerely hope that everybody who reads my page and/or hangs out on NeoGAF, IGN, 1UP on a daily basis will buy Lair and enjoy it. Your guys' opinions are important, and they matter.

BUT... making a game that my entire (extended) family can play, that's how we will keep the creative flame (and our industry!) alive.

Check the official sources for more information on Lair. I enjoyed the experience and have tons of ideas on what to do next. In other words, I have already moved on to the next project... :)

P.S.: Hope you like the new vegetation in the final build :) "

Smokey

Joe211 said:

Man the game looks really good.

Unfortunately for Lair, I have a newfound understanding that spending $55 on these next-gen games is adding up quickly and so I'm becoming more picky on what I buy.

This game was on my to buy list, but like I said I'm becoming more picky with what I choose to buy. Unlike others in this thread, I think the motion controls have the potential to be really fun with this game and I look forward to getting my hands on it.

I will probably wait for Gamespot to review the game and see what they think of it. I really like their new review scale and they're usually spot on with games.

jjasper

Smokey Bones said:
Man the game looks really good.

Unfortunately for Lair, I have a newfound understanding that spending $55 on these next-gen games is adding up quickly and so I'm becoming more picky on what I buy.

This game was on my to buy list, but like I said I'm becoming more picky with what I choose to buy. Unlike others in this thread, I think the motion controls have the potential to be really fun with this game and I look forward to getting my hands on it.

I will probably wait for Gamespot to review the game and see what they think of it. I really like their new review scale and they're usually spot on with games.

That is my problem. I will say at first after reading the review I was certain I was going to rent instead of buy but now thinking about it I will probably wait a few more out since I only paid $38 assuming overstock actually sends it to me, as a next gen game under $40 is a bargin (which sucks)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
inthezone said:
TTP what did you think of LAIR from the 20 minutes you played it?

First of all I liked the tutorial menu. It's all done with those flying rings u probably saw in the controls tutorial video. They are also used as "access points" to various sections of the whole tutorial thing. Very cool.

In the chapter selection screen you scroll chapter normally at the bottom of the screen using the stick or the dpad (IIRC) but up there in the middle of the screen you can toy around with a 3D dragon flying over a world map by moving the controller. Another nice touch.

Game. I played the "bridge level" (which is basically the first one I think) and I must admit I mostly did that to check out the frame rate. Which was good fot the most part, but suffered a bit at the bridge. This pissed me to no end, but that's the graphic whore in me.

Controls, as I said, were spot on. No problems AT ALL except when trying to do the 180° turn (pull the controller towards yourself). In tha case, I couldnt manage to make it work 100% of the times. Flying and dashing: no prob. Jerking the controller sideways to hit dragons during the "close combat" moments: no prob. Fighting the dragons using standard button combos: I just pushed buttons until win without really trying to understand what I was doing.

Mission flow. Lots of stuff going on simultaneously but, prob cos it was early level, you were give "orders" so that u had to do your stuff in order. IIRC first part was about destroying ships, then I was asked to kill some dragons and then those taurus came and I had to address them (I could either kill them on the ground or do a lock on targert + fly-by so that my dragon would grab them and toss them into the sea). Despite the mess of all this, I didnt feel as much lost as I expected. Which is good. Also, a special "vision" allows u to see which are the enemies in the mess (everything goes black and white except your targets which turn red). This was very useful cos at first I was all enjoying myself killing soldiers on the ground until a Factor 5 guy passed by, watched me playing from above my shoulder and after a while whispered in my ear: "those are your guys". Ooops. Ah, there are two type of flame attacks. Dont recall which button does it, but if u push it once you send a fireball. If you keep it pressed you vomit continuous fire. makes sense I guess.

Overall it was pretty fun albeit a bit "disjointed". I mean, it was ok to be given specific orders in that mess but on the other hand It distrupted the feeling of being part of an ongoing battle by cutting it in chunks (the ships attack one, the dragons one, the tauri one and so on). Hard to explain. Anyway, was first, introduction level so... Dragon wasn't as fast as I hoped but the cool thing is you dont have to "manually" get close to you target. You just lock him from the distance and do a dash move so that you sprint immediately towards him and start the close combat thing.

Mau ®

TTP said:
First of all I liked the tutorial menu. It's all done with those flying rings u probably saw in the controls tutorial video. They are also used as "access points" to various sections of the whole tutorial thing. Very cool.

In the chapter selection screen you scroll chapter normally at the bottom of the screen using the stick or the dpad (IIRC) but up there in the middle of the screen you can toy around with a 3D dragon flying over a world map by moving the controller. Another nice touch.

Game. I played the "bridge level" (which is basically the first one I think) and I must admit I mostly did that to check out the frame rate. Which was good fot the most part, but suffered a bit at the bridge. This pissed me to no end, but that's the graphic whore in me.

Controls, as I said, were spot on. No problems AT ALL except when trying to do the 180° turn (pull the controller towards yourself). In tha case, I couldnt manage to make it work 100% of the times. Flying and dashing: no prob. Jerking the controller sideways to hit dragons during the "close combat" moments: no prob. Fighting the dragons using standard button combos: I just pushed buttons until win without really trying to understand what I was doing.

Mission flow. Lots of stuff going on simultaneously but, prob cos it was early level, you were give "orders" so that u had to do your stuff in order. IIRC first part was about destroying ships, then I was asked to kill some dragons and the those taurus came and I had to address them (I could either kill them on the ground or do a lock on targert + fly-by so that my dragon would grab them and toss them into the see). Despit ethe mess of all this, I didnt feel as much lost as I expected. Which is good. Also, a special "vision" allows u to see which are the enemies in the mess (everything goes black and white except your targets). This was very useful cos at first I was all enjoying miself killing soldiers on the ground until a Factor 5 guy passed by, watched me playing from above my shoulder and after a while whispered in my ear: "those are your guys". Ooops. Ah, there are two type of flame attacks. Dont recall which button does it, but if u push it once you send a fireball. If you keep it pressed you vomit continuous fire. makes sense I guess.

Overall it was pretty fun albeit a bit "disjointed". I mean, it was ok to be given specific orders in that mess but on the other hand It distrupted the feeling of being part of an ongoing battle by cutting it in chunks (the ships attack one, the dragons one, the tauri one and so on). Hard to explain. Anyway, was first, introduction level so... Dragon wasn't as fast as I hoped but the cool thing is you dont have to "manually" get close to you target. You just lock him from the distance and do a dash move so that you sprint immediately towards him and start the close combat thing.

Interesting. Thanks man! :D

They say they're gonna give you more freedom on how to complete objectives and stuff as you progress the game.

TTP said:
Ah didnt know they edited. Did they change the whole review too?
I don't know about that. I didn't see the review in question in its original state to say one way or the other, raven would have to weigh in on that one. I do know they went hard with making it seem like David Jaffe was going multi platform with his new studio, then when he came on here and said nope, not the case they did the stealth edit. So with that said, I would not be shocked if they switched it up real quick. That seems to be their m.o.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How often and how severely did the framerate drop?

tanod

when is my burrito
The Killzone: Liberation is an entirely different debacle of its own. Poorly written review by a freelancer who, to my knowledge, has never done another review for 1UP.

:( Let's not compare.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dark10x said:
How often and how severely did the framerate drop?

Was not much severe (I'd say from 30 to 25fps), and happened only when the bridge came into view from a realitevly close distance.

Madman

TTP said:
Was not much severe (I'd say from 30 to 25fps), and happened only when the bridge came into view from a realitevly close distance.
As long as it doesn't have a Saint's Row amount of tearing or a Driver 3 amount of framerate drops, it's all good.

Madman said:
As long as it doesn't have a Saint's Row amount of tearing or a Driver 3 amount of framerate drops, it's all good.
man what is tearing. I have never noticed this thing. I mean I know it exists but what exactly is it?

Top Bottom