• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LAIR thread

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
KTallguy said:
If the motion controls are well done, but the reviewers just can't get used to it, then that's really a shame.

Garnett is a motion control wimp, he complained about the controls in Warhawk, but at least he admitted that it could be played well (after seeing, I believe, Milky totally pwning Warhawk). I think a lot of their score comes from the control scheme, but it's not as if one cannot actually learn how to use it. This is why I posed the question in the other thread about reviewers simply not knowing how to play a game or not having enough hands on time with a game.

Of course such a response can only be seen as "OMG DAMAGE CONTROL WTF!!" and so on, but what can you do? I'm personally waiting for the demo and or others opinions on the matter. Perferrably someone who has played through it a couple of times. If the controls are bad then a larger sample would be more accurate than a few guys who work for a company, have deadlines to meet, and overall are not capable of fully enjoying a game experience.

Instigator said:
That settles it. No one can argue with that kind of thinking.

Don't come complaining here if you have buyer's remorse though.

The game's visuals and music alone are good enough to warrant a purchase to experience for me. Plus A) It's not like I'll be playing an abundance of PS3 games between now and Warhawk and B) $60 isn't a lot of money to me. I can live with the purchase of a game knowing it will have frustrating controls. I purchased Odin Sphere knowing very well that the game would at times run in the 1-5fps area.

derder

I already bought it. :/

I'll probably beat it and flip it to ebgames towards halo 3, or GameCrazy for RockBand.

Raist

Banned
Tideas said:
GAMEPRO - 3.75/5 (A)

Pros: Gorgeous graphics, amazing orchestral soundtrack, dragon based action is fun.

Cons: The decision to use a SixAxis only control scheme hurts more than it helps.

Some random quotes from the review...

ON THE CONTROL SCHEME ISSUES:

"To be fair, the motion sensing is pretty accurate but requiring you to constantly move your hands around while fiddling with buttons over the course of a fairly long game is asking too much. It's unfortunate that the game relies so heavily on a gimmicky feature that no one has been able to get a true grasp of (pun intended)."

ON THE GOOD QUALITIES:

"At it's best, the dragon-based combat of Lair is pretty damn awesome. Soaring around majestically in the sky; raining hot fiery dragon-breath death upon your foes' heads; grappling with other dragons and clawing their eyes out; leaping onto an enemy dragon-rider's back and hacking at him with your weapon; swooping down onto the ground and rampaging around like Godzilla--there's no shortage of thrills to be had."

SOME ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

"I should point out that we were playing an early review build and Factor 5 will probably make tweaks up to the moment the gold master goes off to the mastering lab, but the core gameply mechanics are already in place and there's no denying that it's flawed. I expect many fans will be disappointed thanks to all of the hype that's built up around the game, but the inevitable complaints about the control scheme will no doubt be warrented. Despite all this, Lair still manages to be a decent title that all PS3 owners should look into but you may want to reserve your true excitement for the day when the other hotly anticipated PS3 titles like Heavenly Sword arrive."

ON THE GROUND CONTROLS:

"The Sixaxis-only control scheme that plagues the game is noticably absent when you land your dragon on the ground as the analog sticks take over, making it easier to wreak havoc."

Wait, is this coming from gamepro.com ?

Because the review isn't up at all on their website oO

GeoramA

So Gamepro gave it a 7.5? That's about the average I was expecting it to get.

I'm just going to roll my eyes at the EGM review, mostly because I can't trust any review with Garnett Lee contributing to it.

Tideas

Banned
I dunno. They get it a 3.75/5. I mean, you can multiply it by 2 to get a full out of 10 scale, but I think instead of looking at the scale, just look at what they actually WROTE.

I think that will be something more informative than just a number.

sprocket

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, forcing motion control on people seems dumb in general. There's a reason why Warhawk offers so many different control configurations and methods.

Na I think its the same thing that happened with the initial wii reviews. You know arms flailing all over. The hard core reviewers " not getting it".

Tideas

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, forcing motion control on people seems dumb in general. There's a reason why Warhawk offers so many different control configurations and methods.

1st day patch for Lair to make analog optional confirm:lol

I'm curious if this kinda trend develops. When motion control is used on the Wii, it's almighty. But if it's on the PS3, it's holding back the game.

I reserve to see when other games using motion control, and see if the same reviewer knock it for having motion controls, while giving Wii games, higher scores for using motion control.

Doublestandards suck :D

Trevelyan

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

Exactly. I enjoyed the motion controls in Warhawk, but my brother-in-law despised them. I just hope Factor 5 has an update/patch ready when the game ships to enable the option of either flying with the analog sticks or motion. It would make quite a bit more people happy and probably boost the sales a bit.

sprocket said:
Na I think its the same thing that happened with the initial wii reviews. You know arms flailing all over. The hard core reviewers " not getting it".

Well, Wii sucks. But the whole system is based around motion control and features miserable options for traditional control, so you'd have to kind of expect having motion control forced on you if you decide to play games on Wii.

Mau ®

I never really listen to EGM reviews. I like their magazine but pay little attention to their reviews

I only listen to IGN, Gamespot and GAF.

wowfactor said:
1up networks gave Killzone 5.0 is kinda absurd so I wouldn't trust them on this one.

Killzone isnt good and i can see why someone would give it 5. I personally would have given it about 6.5 when i got it on release. Not the best example of why 1up isnt a bastion of all that is awesome in online reviews. I can think of many worse.

JDSN

Banned
Hey Beel, are there any other previews of other games?

And lol at the people using the "they dont get waggle!" excuse, its like being in a Wii thread.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
captain wow said:
Killzone isnt good and i can see why someone would give it 5. I personally would have given it about 6.5 when i got it on release. Not the best example of why 1up isnt a bastion of all that is awesome in online reviews. I can think of many worse.

he's talking about liberation

Dirtbag

:lol at all the 1up conspiracy theories for a decent Lair review. Am I the only one that read the previews of this game?

How is anyone that suprised by the score?

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
captain wow said:

You mean like the 10 out of 10 that Dan Dan Fan Fan Shu Shu gave Gears of War despite going through a large list of criticsms in his opening paragraph?

"Well, the game sucks for this this this this this and this reason. BUT! I don't care! I'm giving it 10 anyway! lulz!"

Anyway. I'm not holding high hopes for Lair... but it'll be a nice little tech demo. Will also make for a different experience, using the motion controls.

Maybe it just takes more time than those reviewers were willing to give to master?

Crayon Shinchan said:
You mean like the 10 out of 10 that Dan Dan Fan Fan Shu Shu gave Gears of War despite going through a large list of criticsms in his opening paragraph?

"Well, the game sucks for this this this this this and this reason. BUT! I don't care! I'm giving it 10 anyway! lulz!"

Hey i did say i could think of many worse!:D

Greg

I don't give a shit what reviewers have to say, as I'll at least give the game a shot...but you can't use the sticks while flying? ****ing weak.

Who cares about the 'feel' of flying when you can be more accurate without having to fight the controller?

BigBoss

Greg said:
I don't give a shit what reviewers have to say, as I'll at least give the game a shot...but you can't use the sticks while flying? ****ing weak.

Who cares about the 'feel' of flying when you can be more accurate without having to fight the controller?

I completely agree, the fact that Factor 5 makes you use motion controls is bullshit.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Mike Works said:
especially weird when you consider that it's actually 3 reviews.

you're right, i should've used proper grammar while featuring this picture under my name:

would've really made me come off as an intellectual.

Three reviews.

Three reviews, like I said, one negative, one average and one positive.

You can't be this close minded. It seems you got some sort of agenda, but that's fine. At least I know from here on out that your opinion is worth zilch.

And I am not claiming the game is great, I'm just not willing to make up my mind yet due to EGM not liking it. Your reaction was really difficult to understand, like you have something emotionally invested in this and you felt that as soon as you got some evidence to support your already set opinion everyone's an idiot for not agreeing with you.

So come off it, and posting someone's avatar doesn't really aid your cause. You're acting like an ass.

Madman

Greg said:

Eh. I didn't like mandatory analog stick use at first. Motion control has worked well in other games.

I do agree though, the more options, the better.

Thunderbear said:
Three reviews, like I said, one negative, one average and one positive.

You can't be this close minded. It seems you got some sort of agenda, but that's fine. At least I know from here on out that your opinion is worth zilch.

And I am not claiming the game is great, I'm just not willing to make up my mind yet due to EGM not liking it. Your reaction was really difficult to understand, like you have something emotionally invested in this and you felt that as soon as you got some evidence to support your already set opinion everyone's an idiot for not agreeing with you.

So come off it, and posting someone's avatar doesn't really aid your cause. You're acting like an ass.

Hey Mike makes the best gifs on GAF... be nice.

ari

Banned
i can't believe some of you are taking play and gamepro scores over egm. since when did they not become laughable.

oh yea, PLAY gave sonic next gen a 9 too :lol :lol :lol

ari said:
i can't believe some of you are taking play and gamepro scores over egm. since when did they not become laughable.

To be honest, most reviews these days are laughable.

Trevelyan

Banned
ari said:

God, not this shit again. I honestly don't take any publicated reviews seriously anymore. If a game captures my interest, I'll give it a whirl regardless of what publications say.

Demon, Tideas, you probably don't own Wiis and therefore don't read many reviews for Wii games, but Wii games get knocked all the time for shitty badly planned out motion controls. If Lair's motion controls are wonky, so be it. It's something that can be fixed in Lair 2, or a future patch. It seems at least two reviewers have loved Lair anyway, one in spite of mentioned control difficulties, so I really wouldn't be all that worried.

Tideas

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Demon, Tideas, you probably don't own Wiis and therefore don't read many reviews for Wii games, but Wii games get knocked all the time for shitty badly planned out motion controls. If Lair's motion controls are wonky, so be it. It's something that can be fixed in Lair 2, or a future patch. It seems at least two reviewers have loved Lair anyway, one in spite of mentioned control difficulties, so I really wouldn't be all that worried.

Which is why I"m waiting to read the review of Striker, to see if they knock it for the Wii controls

ari

Banned
Trevelyan said:
God, not this shit again. I honestly don't take any publicated reviews seriously anymore. If a game captures my interest, I'll give it a whirl regardless of what publications say.

i don't give a damn about reviews at all, but Play magazine and gamepro reviews over egm is laughable and just seem so wrong. :lol

Tideas said:
Which is why I"m waiting to read the review of Striker, to see if they knock it for the Wii controls
Well, first we'd need to know if the motion controls work for that particular game. It's not that motion controls are automatically bad, it's how they're implemented that determines whether they are a help or a hindrance.

I'll bet we see at least a couple reviews that take issue with Strikers' motion controls though. BUT ANYWAY HUGE ****ING DRAGONS BLOWING SHIT UP WITH FIRE. CAN WE TALK?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
GAZERK said:
To be honest, most reviews these days are laughable.
This is exactly how I feel...but I'm going to say something that everyone is going to hate:

IGN reviews have almost 100% mirrored my own feelings towards games, and really is the only site that I trust 100%.

The only purchase I've made based off IGN reviews that was a mistake was Rayman Raving Rabbids.

IGN dedicates people to specific systems, therefore you are going to get a review from a person who is very used to the systems controls or pitfalls. This is exactly how a website should offer their reviews. I'm all for a breadth of game library when it comes to personal time, but apparently these critics are having a hard time being multi-platform reviewers.

People complaining about reviewers just reading the number and not reading he meat. Well...if one reviewer says the controls are broken, and another reviewer says the controls are spot on...then wtf is the point of reading the text?

Gamerankings.com is the only site you can really use to get a sense of a game's worth nowadays.

IGN or Gamerankings for new games.
GAF for old games.

I have to wait until I get my PS3 in September to pick this up, but it's definitely still on my list. I'll have the chance to play it at a bud's before I buy it, but I even liked Rebel Strike, so I'm not overly concerned that Lair will build me up just to let me down and mess me around and then worst of all it never calls baby when it says it will but i love it still

Haunted

Karma Kramer said:
Hey Mike makes the best gifs on GAF... be nice.
Mike's good, but he's no jarosh.

Vyse The Legend said:
Is that suppose to be Gamepro? Because last I checked, 3.75/5 is 75%. Also, if EGM isn't a credible source for reviews, then Play sure as hell isn't. Hi, 8.5 Sonic 360.
QFT

JudgeN

vpance said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Fc_Cp_aA8

Looks fun, and yeah that guy playing is moving his arms alot. I can see why they dont like the controls. How bad could it really be though? 5.0 scored game is saying its borderline unplayable. I think IGN will give it an 8 and GS a 7.5 or something.

That gameplay looks rather good, smooth framerate and the camera wasn't horrible on the ground either. He was moving his arms alot but I don't you have to get into like, but your right it doesn't look like a game that deserves a 5-6 rating. But hell I will find out 8/14 :lol

Top Bottom