• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT: PS3 vs Xbox 360 Graphics Comparison

Gattsu25 said:
Actually, those are both areas where I prefer the PS3 version. More subdued color (but not monochromatic) and 20% less bloom is a good thing IMO. Framerate too.

It's not bloom. That is HDR that you are witnessing in the 360 shots, which the PS3 shots don't appear to have.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
KachoMakura said:
It's not bloom. That is HDR that you are witnessing in the 360 shots, which the PS3 shots don't appear to have.
I'm pretty sure it does have HDR. Just probably toned down a bit. Play the demo yourself and see...

With PS3 demo, you can pretty much achieve the look of X360 screens here, by blasting the contrast+color+brightness up on your TV.

careksims

I played the 360 demo and PS3 demo. Felt very smooth and frame rate was good enough for me (even with all the cars I didn't notice any slowdown) Oh yeah, no tearing at all! I also like subtle HDR.

Marconelly said:
I'm pretty sure it does have HDR. Just probably toned down a bit. Play the demo yourself and see...

I don't have a PS3 to play that demo at the moment(plan on getting one before the end of the year).

But juding from these shots:

360:

DSCF6525.jpg

PS3:

DSCF6559.jpg

You can tell from the lighting on the grass, the car and the road that HDR is not being implemented. HDR(high dynamic range lighting) makes the bright areas of a scene actually appear BRIGHT and the dark areas appear darker.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Marconelly said:

With PS3 demo, you can pretty much achieve the look of X360 screens here, by blasting the contrast+color+brightness up on your TV.

Exactly. It just looks a like a difference in brightness.

BTW: Demo does have framerate issues when racing with buggies. But only when they're all present on one screen. Still, it's there.

jonabbey

Let's see.. the 360 version had framerate problems, so they dialed down the graphics to improve the framerate, and now the PS3 is inferior.

Is that it?

spwolf said:
you gotta be kidding me... race game with framerate issues and fps in racing games is now subjective? wtf.

how big was the Madden thread again? And difference in fps here is far more important.
it's not subjective if more frames per second is better... it is... it's subjective if that's more or less important than more geometry.

and i've already said that i personally would take the frames per second over the missing geometry.

it's also subjective that a sports game running at twice the frame rate is more or less of a big deal than a racing game that suffers frame drops and one that doesn't.

mintylurb

KachoMakura said:
I don't have a PS3 to play that demo at the moment(plan on getting one before the end of the year).

360:

http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/ps3/dirt/DSCF6525.jpg
PS3:

http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/ps3/dirt/DSCF6559.jpg
You can tell from the lighting on the grass, the car and the road that HDR is not being implemented. HDR(high dynamic range lighting) makes the bright areas of a scene actually appear BRIGHT and the dark areas appear darker.
different time of the day?

KachoMakura said:
that isn't an accurate description of what HDR does. even if it was those screens wouldn't tell you that it wasn't being implemented. are the brighter areas brighter in the 360 one? sure. are the dark ares darker in the 360 one? again... sure.

that doesn't mean that HDR isn't being applied more subtly to the PS3 version though.

just look at the ps3 screen by itself. do the bright areas appear bright? do the dark areas appear dark? i'd say they absolutely do.

OatmealMu

Just because a graphical effect isn't obnoxiously overdone doesn't mean it's not there. This is why some developers knock gamers over the head with bloom. The PS3 version is a lot more subtle about it's lighting, and I applaud the devs for that.

Honestly, after the giddiness that was Bioshock at the beginning of the week, threads like this seem inevitable.

We'll know Gaf has returned to pre-Bioshock like-totally-jaded mode when we get our, "Has Mass Effect been downgraded...'cause it's not looking too good?" new screenshots thread.

Ah, the circle of Gaf-life completed...

Gattsu25

Banned
KachoMakura said:
Try not to correct people when you're wrong. It's bloom that I'm talking about (the glow), don't get the two confused. Both games have HDR, by the way.
Bad_Boy said:
The version that supports the G25 wins by default.
Why me? :b

sprocket

Banned
The screens were taken at 2 different times of day notice the headlights are on in the ps3 shots and its darker. lol crazy fanboys. :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
sprocket said:
The screens were taken at 2 different times of day notice the headlights are on in the ps3 shots and its darker. lol crazy fanboys. :lol
You can play the game/demo at different times of the day? How do you change that?

KachoMakura said:

360:

DSCF6525.jpg

PS3:

DSCF6559.jpg

Huh... but doesn´t HDR need a moving image to give an idea of the exposition? That´s not right.

Eiji said:
The brighter sky in the 360 shot is blocking/white-washing the clouds.

Actually the 360 wasn´t capable of rendering the clouds. =(

:)lol )

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Christ, the bloom in the PS3 version is a little over the top. On the 360 it's like your trying to outrun a nuclear holocaust. There are no clouds because they have been irradiated.

Forsete

Gold Member
KachoMakura said:

Then stfu.

The game has HDR, ENDE!

Banned
sprocket said:
A blog that posted something someone wrote from here? :lol probably the same guy.
:lol Nope, don't know the person, my completely under-used "blog" is: http://SR-388.net/

Dot50Cal said:
Are those..a..are those off a television screen?.......:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Yep, photos off a fully calibrated Pioneer 5080. The exposures were matched across all the photos, and white balance was manually set. Sure, it's not a capture card, but I think it does a decent job illustrating the differences. (like the missing scenery)

As I said in the PSN topic - it's good that the PS3 version doesn't have the stupid amounts of bloom lighting that the 360 one does, but it does seem that the rest of the lighting is worse.

My main issue is that if they were going to downgrade the game by taking out scenery, why not take it far enough to lock the game at 30fps? The demo is still tearing all over the place on the PS3, it's just not as bad as the 360 one.

I'd have no problems if the downgrades made the game run smooth, but it doesn't.

f@luS

More than a member.
Someone made a point, ps3 version seems later in the day ( light is on @ car front) but lightning is really superior in the ps3 version, nothing is worse. For the framerate it is as smooth as 30fps can be. Tearing /=/ framerate drop and even tearing isnt as bad as the 360 one. This really is a superior version , only hater will not agree i think. And its ONLY a demo. the final game may be better.....from a technical standpoint coz the game still sux :lol

urk said:
Christ, the bloom in the PS3 version is a little over the top. On the 360 it's like your trying to outrun a nuclear holocaust. There are no clouds because they have been irradiated.
:lol :lol :lol

nib95

Banned
Ok interesting to compare the DIRT demo on both platforms.
I just had both demo's run back to back on their respective consoles (switching between channels) and noticed differences immediately.

Firstly, The 360 version looks a teeny bit sharper and overall slightly more crisp. Next difference was in colour palette. The 360 version looks like the entire track is bleeding light, as in overt yellows. The PS3 version is a lot more natural and realistic, less sun bleached, and more like the colours in every other rally game you ever played or what you're used to seeing on TV. I compared lighting, and the actual lighting assets are exactly the same, though they appear to be brighter on the 360. So while beams from the sun will add a yellow tinge/gleam to the roof on the PS3 version, the roof goes completely white/yellow on the 360 version. But otherwise they are pretty much the same. Just as with the whole track in the 360 version, everything is a lot brighter. Perhaps more bloom? Either way the lack of bloom imo makes the PS3 version look better.

Next up was the frame rate. Stark differences here. The PS3 version is a lot smoother. In certain areas the differences are really noticeable. I didn't really notice until I compared it to the PS3 version. Areas where you think the vehicles just struggling to accelerate on the 360 version, or as you turn, on the PS3 version is smooth and some what faster. In a few areas where there were multiple cars on screen or large track areas, the 360 version would dip to the low 20's where as I'm guessing the PS3 version was sailing at 30fps-40fps or more. As in, smooth enough that you couldn't actually notice a drop. If the 360 version runs at around 30fps, the PS3 version must run at 40fps-50fps. Maybe even more, I wouldn't know for sure, but try both demo's out yourself and you can judge how much smoother the PS3 version runs. Either way, it makes the cars on the PS3 version appear faster.

The PS3 version also seems to have one or two new track items, for example the buggy track. It has an extra stand, and this guy moving around on it (I think he has a loud speaker in his hand) right next to the car in the PS3 version whereas in the 360 version it's just a plain grass field.

I noticed screen tearing in the 360 version twice whilst playing (all 3 maps), there was none on the PS3 version.

Noticed a few other differences. There are definitely more effects in the PS3 version. Hit a barrier or scrape along the side of one, and there are loads more sparks in the PS3 version. On the 360 version it's hard to make sparks as you scrape along side them, on the PS3 version they near pour out. Damage on the back of the car looks more detailed on the 360 version, in-fact I'm sure there's one extra dent or two in there. Rest of the car I couldn't spot any differences. And lastly, in the PS3 versions interior view, you can see numbers lit up in red on the little metre on the right, numerous different digits and what not. In the 360 version of the demo the machine isn't on and the numbers don't show.

It's like spot the difference lol.

Anyway, just some quick observations.

One thing I must add, I find the controls in the PS3 version better. Whether this is because of the SIXAXIS analogue sticks (they actually have more range/movement than the 360 analogue sticks allowing for a better range of sensitivity and accuracy) or Codemasters having tightened them up for the PS3 version I don't know.

nofi

nib95 said:
there are loads more sparks in the PS3 version

SOLD.

Seriously though, tried the demo last night. Graphics are lovely, nice and smooth, but the cars still turn on a single pivot, despite what Codies have said. The wheels just don't connect, there's no weight to the vehicles and handling is rudimentary to say the least.

I'll still buy it, though.

andrewfee said:
The demo is still tearing all over the place on the PS3, it's just not as bad as the 360 one.

Didn't tear once on mine. The only framedrops I noticed where on the terrible, terrible buggy section that I truly hope isn't a major part of the retail game. Motorstorm makes this mode look like a cheap PS2 game, visually.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Forsete said:
Oh shut it already.

Bitter tears.

People really need to stop comparing the two DiRT demos. Compare final versions, because the 360 DiRT demo is not representative of the final game. You'll find that the game isn't all that different between the ports.

Forsete

Gold Member
chespace said:
Bitter tears.

People really need to stop comparing the two DiRT demos. Compare final versions, because the 360 DiRT demo is not representative of the final game. You'll find that the game isn't all that different between the ports.

I mean the bioshock crap. What does Bioshock have to do with a frigging racing game?
The game looks awesome, I'll buy it for my PC eventually.

p3tran

Banned
nib95 said:
Ok interesting to compare the DIRT demo on both platforms.
I just had both demo's run back to back on their respective consoles (switching between channels) and noticed differences immediately.

that 360 demo you are comparing is way older than final game and waaay older than ps3 demo.

I know for a fact that final game on 360 is smoother than the demo, and I think maybe the final code for ps3 is needed too before making all these comparisons.

ram

KachoMakura said:

360:

DSCF6525.jpg

PS3:

DSCF6559.jpg

first, the ps3 shot is way to dark - second, you can see even in that screen, that the ps3 has hdr lighting - just look at the trees in the background, the evening sun shines over them.

its a fact, that the ps3 looks and plays a whole lot better and is overall more polished. eat it up.

cilonen

Not a comparison as I've not seen it on 360, but I just downloaded the PSN demo and the lack of jaggies for a PS3 game really struck me, are they anti-aliasing on the PS3 version?

Z3F

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
You know what, no. If you consider a little bit more grass and the odd additional tree (there's certainly nothing dramatic going on here) more important than a stable framerate, to a racing game, then you shouldn't be talking about racing games in the first place.

Dude, you don't even try to be fair anymore. There's nothing dramatic about the graphical differences but there's nothing dramatic about the framerate improvement either. The PS3demo had pretty good framerate but there were obvious slowdowns in certain places. It's far from being significantly more stable than the 360 version. If you really want a stable framerate w/ this game then get the PC version. And what's with all the muted HDR=better? I don't see you complaing about the in your face HDR that Heavenly Sword has. You act like you're fair but it's getting hard to believe when you pick the same side everytime. I still think you're a good poster but it's disappointing to see the sytem wars crap get to someone that I respected.

Seriously, both console versions are inferior to the PC version running at a much higher resolution with a much better framerate. I know since I've tried all three. However, both console versions are well done and good enough for the majority of gamers. This game is just a terrible choice to argue over which console has the better version when there really is no clear choice. Also, what is the point of winning the distant 2nd place award?

Banned
ram said:
first, the ps3 shot is way to dark - second, you can see even in that screen, that the ps3 has hdr lighting - just look at the trees in the background, the evening sun shines over them.

its a fact, that the ps3 looks and plays a whole lot better and is overall more polished. eat it up.
They're exposed exactly the same, and both inputs are calibrated to 30fL peak whites. (so they're just as bright as each other)

The lighting on the PS3 version of that track is very flat and dull, whereas the 360 one has more dynamic lighting with patches that are brighter as if the sun is coming through the clouds, like that, which is why I've said numerous times that despite the horrific blooming on the 360 version, the lighting overall is better.

These shots show off the difference better:
360: http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/ps3/dirt/DSCF6522.jpg
PS3: http://sr-388.net/images/gaming/ps3/dirt/DSCF6557.jpg

Aside from the fact the 360 one has a lot more bloom, this section of the track is the same brightness on both versions. Look at how much better the car is lit on the 360 one though, the lighting on the PS3 looks really flat, and it's not caused by the lack of bloom at all.

p3tran

Banned
Z3F said:
Also, what is the point of winning the distant 2nd place award?
might be 2nd, but in our hearts its 1st!
:lol :lol :lol :lol

anyway,
gameplay is not as good as expected, so really who cares?
the only interesting thing about this comparison for me is the outcome of that sony/codemasters collaboration, neon.

Top Bottom