• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 (PS3)

SkylineRKR

Okay so I hooked up my PS3 lately, and I decided to buy some games lost to time and Sony's brilliant BC strategy. I order a batch for a few bucks a piece, Infamous 2, Virtua Tennis 3, Motorstorm Pacific Rift and this fucker, Resistance 3.

When I played this shit on PS3 for the first time, which was when the game was being discounted, I was surprised. In fact, this was the best FPS campaign I had played in a long ass time and I regret not supporting it when it came out. So I always had this game in my mind and for a few bucks I decided to just buy it again.

I expected something so ugly and unplayable, that it would make my eyes bleed. Partially this is true, the game IS very low res. But, I was hooked and played until Chapter 8 in one go. This game is ridiculously good. First of all, the graphics. Yes, its 30fps and sometimes lower and yes its sub-HD. But, the art direction is flawless and in some weird way the graphics work well since the game looks gritty and has this noise filter turned on too. The attention to detail is nice and the amount of post processing effects thrown around here are impressive. There is a beautiful game hidden in here, all it would've needed is a resolution and framerate bump. Perhaps one day we will see.

The sound is good, the VA is good (I knew it was Atkin Downes!), the cast is good and the atmosphere is good. The weapons are fucking brilliant. Like, the Deadeye sniper with wallhack, the .44 with remote detonate explosive bullets, and ofcourse the aimbot Bullseye. And you level them up by simply using them. The pacing of the campaign is perfect, its almost impossible to put down once you start.

In fact, Resistance was an awesome trilogy. I loved the first one too but it probably feels too outdated now. I never felt the second much but I know its co-op was sort of well appreciated by many. So Insomniac, stop with that MCU shit and bring this franchise back?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Resistance 3 was the best Resistance game. Best reversible game cover too.

It was a bitch to uninstall though. Not sure why, but I remember having problems.

I finished Resistance 2 and all I can remember is some sort of swarm enemy and the colour red.
Looks like emulation for 3 is not that great now. My PS3 is broken.

Esca

I would accept a simple fps and res trilogy port at this point. Kudos of they make a resistance collection with the portal games to. I want to play them again but digging out my PS3 is kind of a pia atm

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It's a crime that Sony has just left this franchise to rot in the sun while we've been all feasting on outstanding remakes and remasters for the past couple years.

Id happily pay full price for a remastered collection. 4K/60 and Chucky is good to go.

*I even enjoyed the red headed step child that is Resistance 2

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Its a good game but the first 2 are vastly superior.Fall of Man in particular is amazing and one of my fav fps games.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Okay so I hooked up my PS3 lately, and I decided to buy some games lost to time and Sony's brilliant BC strategy. I order a batch for a few bucks a piece, Infamous 2, Virtua Tennis 3, Motorstorm Pacific Rift and this fucker, Resistance 3.

When I played this shit on PS3 for the first time, which was when the game was being discounted, I was surprised. In fact, this was the best FPS campaign I had played in a long ass time and I regret not supporting it when it came out. So I always had this game in my mind and for a few bucks I decided to just buy it again.

I expected something so ugly and unplayable, that it would make my eyes bleed. Partially this is true, the game IS very low res. But, I was hooked and played until Chapter 8 in one go. This game is ridiculously good. First of all, the graphics. Yes, its 30fps and sometimes lower and yes its sub-HD. But, the art direction is flawless and in some weird way the graphics work well since the game looks gritty and has this noise filter turned on too. The attention to detail is nice and the amount of post processing effects thrown around here are impressive. There is a beautiful game hidden in here, all it would've needed is a resolution and framerate bump. Perhaps one day we will see.

The sound is good, the VA is good (I knew it was Atkin Downes!), the cast is good and the atmosphere is good. The weapons are fucking brilliant. Like, the Deadeye sniper with wallhack, the .44 with remote detonate explosive bullets, and ofcourse the aimbot Bullseye. And you level them up by simply using them. The pacing of the campaign is perfect, its almost impossible to put down once you start.

In fact, Resistance was an awesome trilogy. I loved the first one too but it probably feels too outdated now. I never felt the second much but I know its co-op was sort of well appreciated by many. So Insomniac, stop with that MCU shit and bring this franchise back?
Would love to see it return.

There were lots of unanswered things in the story

I've played Resistance 3 for the first time back in 2021, and I too was shocked about both the quality of the SP campaign, but also how good it looks still, even at that barely HD resolution. It's a travesty that both Insomniac and Sony has abandoned this IP. At least, they should consider hiring a porting studio to remaster them in a trilogy collection or something for PS5, PS4 and PC...

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

It is the best campaign of the Resistance trilogy in large part due to Joseph Capelli being a much better protagonist than Nathan Hale.
But multiplayer and co-op modes were definitely a step back from Resistance 2.

Last edited:

Synless

Most iconic scene in this game for me is his son screaming “daddy” in the most awful children’s voice acting I’ve ever heard with the little glove falling off.

Can one get R3 off of the ps3 store? Or is it disc only?
Depends on the region, if you're in the US I think it's still up for purchase, but for example, my main PSN account is UK based and you can't buy Resistance 3 digitally from the UK PS Store (or maybe it was Resistance 2?). As such, I had to ask a friend to grab me a cheapo 1£ used copy from CEX a short few months before the pandemic. Also, you can only buy digital games from the PS3 console itself which is a pain in the royal butt nowadays (fuck you Sony for making things harder!).

Last edited:

Salz01

Depends on the region, if you're in the US I think it's still up for purchase, but for example, my main PSN account is UK based and you can't buy Resistance 3 digitally from the UK PS Store (or maybe it was Resistance 2?). As such, I had to ask a friend to grab me a cheapo 1£ used copy from CEX a short few months before the pandemic. Also, you can only buy digital games from the PS3 console itself which is a pain in the royal butt nowadays (fuck you Sony for making things harder!).
Thanks, I’ll check it out later this weekend and see if it’s on the US store.

Patrick S.

Banned
This reminds me that I still have an usused code for Metal Gear Solid that came with my PS3 MGS collection haha... Well, no sweat, I'm grabbing a PS5 copy next month anyway.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Sony really needs to get their shit together and release a remaster of Resistance AND Killzone series.

I agree, Resistance 3 is a great game. One of the best shooters of that generation. I would love to replay it in 4k and 60 FPS one day because the performance and resolution is looking really rough on a 4k TV. Same with Killzone. I've been playing and replaying Killzone Mercenary on PS Vita in recent months and that game is also ridiculously good, and a reminder of how good the gunplay feels in that series.

Last edited:

NewYork214

I absolutely love this series. Only downfall was I think in 2 when they got rid of the weapon wheel. Unless I'm crazy and that didn't happen. The co op in 2 was also amazing. Played the hell out of it.

Probably my favorite fps series. I remember being amazed at how the glass looked when I would shoot it lol.

The steelbook version I got at release was even better as the disc was styled like a vinyl :messenger_ok:

Resistance was big back then it literally went toe to toe with halo why would Sony abandon it is just insane some of the best memories I had were with resistance 2 mp, the crazy epic campaign.

2 was pretty good for the multiplayer. Had a high player count so was pretty hectic, but the coop was where it was at. Think that was 8 player as well if I remember with some crazy skirmishes against multiple bosses from single player.

Katatonic

I loved all 3 (yes 2 was awesome). I still have them and my PS3 but a remastered trilogy pack would be hot.

Edit: Oh yeah and throw in Resistance: Burning Skies pls. I thought it was way more fun than Killzone: Mercenary on the Vita. Fight me lol.

Last edited:

Full 4k60 playthrough here. Never played the series myself, it and Infamous are games I really should check out. I believe I was knee-deep in WoW at the time.

Wow, last time I checked - which admittedly was 2 years ago - it was running rather poorly on RPCS3. I think I'll rewatch this 4k 60 playthrough lol.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I somehow managed to not ever play this, despite having a release day copy (that's still shrinkwrapped). Need to dig out ye olde PS3 and give it a go.

Top Bottom