• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Samus/Metroid fanart ever--what a Metroid movie might look like

AniHawk said:
Why do SO MANY PEOPLE insist on making Samus into a "cute" anime character?

Intelligent Systems is guilty of this too. Retro had the right idea by far with the first Metroid Prime. She's a badass.
tripple agreed or whatever. though i do love the one in the opening post which definately has shades of cute. still some badass in there.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
plagiarize said:
tripple agreed or whatever. though i do love the one in the opening post which definately has shades of cute. still some badass in there.

Because men are guilty of objectifying women to such an extreme that when presented with one who can literally hand 99.9% of them their asses, they have to "cute her up" so their manhood isn't stolen.

This is why I don't think the ending to Metroid Prime 2 was much of a "treat." Samus at the end of MP1 looked more natural and more real. She's been in that suit for untold hours and days. She's not going to be glossed up with nice hair and make up. She's going to look like she's been through hell, because she has. I think this is the way she needs to be portrayed in any movie they make and she doesn't need to be played by any Hollywood scarlets. Eh.

eso76

actually that's more or less how i always pictured samus

aliens_shot1l.jpg

not a very flattering pic of sigourney, but you get the point.
Beautiful but not in a cute way, strong and slightly masculine.

Rufus

eso76 said:
This one is amazing.
All the others more or less range from horrible to technically good but lacking in artistic taste.
I'm pretty sure it's from the guy who did the character designs for Metroid Prime. I think it's even in the Gallery you gain access to once you beat the game.

Saoh

Baryn said:
My God.

This thread.

The fanart is better than Retro's.

:lol :lol :lol :lol hell NO. most stuff here is cool but not at Retro´s level. i have some fanart but stupid Photobucket doesn´t work.

you know, for an underrated series, Metroid seems to have a lot of cool fanart. love it! Corruption next week! :D

jjasper

AniHawk said:

Intelligent Systems is guilty of this too. Retro had the right idea by far with the first Metroid Prime. She's a badass.

110% agree the Samus in Prime 3 looks like shit.

Squeak

Zen said:
This exactly the sort of thing I always figured Samus would bear under the suit. It really solidified it when I saw some of the artwork in Metroid Prime, but her suit seems far too advanced and responsive to her to just be a mechanical suit, I've always expected that she'd have some form of technological implants in her body that would allow her to interface with it better, be it along the spine or what have you.

Shame Nintendo official artwork proves me wrong. ;(
Wireless mind reading and feedback is much more advanced and pleasant than having wires in and out of your body.
Actually it's something that's feasible to a limited degree today.

90 percent of the pics in this thread are gobsmackingly awful and people should really be ashamed of themselves for posting them, the last 10 percent are awesome.
Funny that there is so little mediocreness. Probably some kind of long tail, knee effect.

Stormbringer said:
More Samus fanarts :

psamuspo4.jpg
Ok this artist either doesn't know how human bones work or Samus has a really jacked up skeletal structure. And the very first pic of this thread looked like the high school girl that fixed me a Starbucks the other day.

I was under the impression that Samus was in her late 20's or early 30's with long green, later turned blonde hair.

All the art does look great though.

EDarkness

You know, I generally have either KOS-MOS or Spawn wallpaper, but I think I'll change to Samus in preparation for Metroid Prime 3. If only more artists made art to be widescreen friendly... ;)

AniHawk said:

Add me to the agree train. I'm not really sure why Retro was compelled to match Zero Suit Samus's artwork in MP3, it doesn't seem to match the mood of the game at all. I understand the desire to tie in with Brawl but still.

What was she like in Echoes? I was so spent after doing the final boss battle over and over I can't remember a thing about the end.

Saint Gregory said:
Add me to the agree train. I'm not really sure why Retro was compelled to match Zero Suit Samus's artwork in MP3, it doesn't seem to match the mood of the game at all. I understand the desire to tie in with Brawl but still.

What was she like in Echoes? I was so spent after doing the final boss battle over and over I can't remember a thing about the end.
Absolutely terrible. It was the worst rendition of Suitless Samus by far. Looked like an ogre. I'd take the horrid anime ZSS shit over Bashed In The Face With A Shovel Samus.

Son of Godzilla said:
Absolutely terrible. It was the worst rendition of Suitless Samus by far. Looked like an ogre. I'd take the horrid anime ZSS shit over Bashed In The Face With A Shovel Samus.

Yikes. Maybe that's why I blocked it out.

I'm kind of against there being one standard suitless Samus rendition. I liked when she was still mysterious and left mostly to your imagination. Hopefully the current Brawl model won't be the permanent art for her.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I think a slightly tomboyish Samus would work, cute but still could slam you down. Not the kind of girl that wears makeup or anything.

katee-sackhoff-3.jpg

Neo Starbuck?

Rindain

Banned
I really hope Retro has changed her for the better since Echoes...at the very least tone down her makeup and add some texture to her skin.

eso76 said:
actually that's more or less how i always pictured samus

aliens_shot1l.jpg

not a very flattering pic of sigourney, but you get the point.
Beautiful but not in a cute way, strong and slightly masculine.

Same. Making her a generic hottie always felt like such a copout to me. I never see any fanart that satisfies me. Then again the official stuff is just as lame, though the first Metroid Prime was on the right track.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
shidoshi said:
I know I'm probably the only one who would want to see her done this way, but if I was making a Metroid movie, I'd want Samus - the girl - to be frail, thin, a bit weak, nearly broken by all of the things she's seen and done, somebody who is a total contrast of her suit. Make her strong and resourceful when safely inside of her suit, but in her heart, and when apart from her suit, she's a shell of the person she used to be.
Ice T would cure her afflicted heart.

revolverjgw said:
Same. Making her a generic hottie always felt like such a copout to me. I never see any fanart that satisfies me. Then again the official stuff is just as lame, though the first Metroid Prime was on the right track.

I think this one is probably the closest to what you're talking about:

1104478118732.jpg

Great thread. I am strongly, strongly against any kind of Metroid movie. I might would buy into a Metroid animated movie, but a live action would be a disaster. Anyone remember Aeon Flux? :lol

IAWTP. I don't want her to be ugly... >_>... I just think she should look atleast slightly somber.

1up

I'm actually trying to find a blue womans wetsuit for my girlfriend. She wants to dress up as samus for halloween. Cant find one that is mostly blue though. The black lines we can add on later.

hobbitx

Great Rumbler said:
I think this one is probably the closest to what you're talking about:

1104478118732.jpg
I liked this design alot. That's alot like what I can imagine inside of that suit. It also keeps in line with the "wounded eyes" statement the Chozo elders made about her.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Dark Octave said:
Ok this artist either doesn't know how human bones work or Samus has a really jacked up skeletal structure.

The latter. One is unlikely to be able to interface with/control an exosuit or cybernetic technology like that without some serious internal retrofitting. See: Ghost in the Shell.

I much prefer the "realistic" looking Samus, especially the ones that show some kind of cybernetic interface/implant work. I like the idea of Samus as an isolated, somewhat damaged person. She should have an element of the grotesque to her appearance in some ways, just because the character simply wouldn't care about whether or not she was attractive to other humans.

1104478118732.jpg

Yes, this is definitely awesome. If there was a Metroid movie, this is how Samus should be, not like the cartoony versions. She was orphaned at age 3, raised by aliens and works by herself as a bounty hunter - not exactly a supermodel.

Top Bottom