• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Targets Japan Sales of 5 Million 3DS Units in 2013

SmokyDave

Why? When the DSLite released in 2006, the numbers were higher than in 2007 where there wasn't a model revision. And it was further down the year after. You can't discount the factors that weigh into whether a device is likely to have a positive or negative YoY growth.
I wasn't talking about me personally, I was talking about the consensus in the MC threads. Whenever I point out that the YoY decline is troubling, I'm reminded that Pokemon and MH are dropping and that the device will certainly end up increasing YoY. Personally I expect the device to end up down YoY, but I thought mine was a minority view.

I wasn't talking about me personally, I was talking about the consensus in the MC threads. Whenever I point out that the YoY decline is troubling, I'm reminded that Pokemon and MH are dropping and that the device will certainly end up increasing YoY. Personally I expect the device to end up down YoY, but I thought mine was a minority view.

The real question is whether minor YoY trends as the one that will likely happen this year actually matter that much. If the 3DS hits 5m, it's still one of the best years for any device in Japan. Falling behind a monster 2012 year doesn't say anything significant as long as the numbers are still great.

So a slight drop from last year and this year it gets Pokemon and MNH4.

1st party software has been much less consistent this year.

Compare:
January: Spirit Camera (2012), Nothing (2013)
February: Nothing (2012, 2013)
March: Mario & Sonic @ London Olympics, Kid Icarus (2012), Luigi's Mansion 2 (2013)
April: Fire Emblem Awakening (2012), Tomodachi Collection (2013)
May: Mario Tennis Open (2012), Nothing (2013)
June: Culdecept (2012), Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
July: Calciobit, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Devilish Brain Training, 3DS LL (2012), Mario & Luigi RPG 4 (2013)
August: Nothing (2012, 2013)
September: Art Academy, Girl's Mode (2012), Nothing (2013)
October: Animal Crossing (2012), Pokemon X & Y (2013)
November: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (2012), Unknown (2013)
December: Paper Mario Sticker Star (2012), Unknown (2013)

Mario Party 3DS and Band Brothers will fit in the 2 unknown spots, most likely. Still, much less consistent/appealing year (so far) in Japan compared to last.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Pokemon X & Y and Monster Hunter 4 will definitely make them reach that number by the end of the year.

Have to wonder what they're anticipating for the Wii U this fall though.

Sendou

1st party software has been much less consistent this year.

Compare:
January: Spirit Camera (2012), Nothing (2013)
February: Nothing (2012, 2013)
March: Mario & Sonic @ London Olympics, Kid Icarus (2012), Luigi's Mansion 2 (2013)
April: Fire Emblem Awakening (2012), Tomodachi Collection (2013)
May: Mario Tennis Open (2012), Nothing (2013)
June: Culdecept (2012), Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
July: Calciobit, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Devilish Brain Training, 3DS LL (2012), Mario & Luigi RPG 4 (2013)
August: Nothing (2012, 2013)
September: Art Academy, Girl's Mode (2012), Nothing (2013)
October: Animal Crossing (2012), Pokemon X & Y (2013)
November: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (2012), Unknown (2013)
December: Paper Mario Sticker Star (2012), Unknown (2013)

Mario Party 3DS and Band Brothers will fit in the 2 unknown spots, most likely. Still, much less consistent/appealing year (so far) in Japan compared to last.

I always forget games like Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem were released last year in Japan. Explains a lot in my opinion.

kswiston

The real question is whether minor YoY trends as the one that will likely happen this year actually matter that much. If the 3DS hits 5m, it's still one of the best years for any device in Japan. Falling behind a monster 2012 year doesn't say anything significant as long as the numbers are still great.

Japan is in great shape. The worry/focus should be on Europe and North America. Both of those markets were quite a bit bigger than Japan for the DS (despite record breaking Japanese sales), and that is where Nintendo stands to lose the most ground if trends continue the way they have been.

Japan is in great shape. The worry/focus should be on Europe and North America. Both of those markets were quite a bit bigger than Japan for the DS (despite record breaking Japanese sales), and that is where Nintendo stands to lose the most ground if trends continue the way they have been.

I agree. Pokemon is of paramount important, and I think they know it, which is why it's a worldwide launch. It will be very interesting to see what kind of long term effects it'll have on the 3DS in the west where is it really needs a boost.

kswiston

I agree. Pokemon is of paramount important, and I think they know it, which is why it's a worldwide launch. It will be very interesting to see what kind of long term effects it'll have on the 3DS in the west where is it really needs a boost.

Nintendo has a really strong lineup in the west this year for the 3DS. While games like Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion may not sell that many systems on their own, I think they will do a lot to entice people who may be on the fence when a huge game like Pokemon X/Y comes around. If you are interested in a 3DS this holiday, you will have a lot of great recent releases to choose from. I'm more worried about support in 2014/2015. I don't think that Nintendo can afford to ease off of the software support for the 3DS if they want to keep the system visible (and therefore healthy) in the west, but I expect them to do just that as they attempt to salvage the Wii U.

Oersted

Nintendo has a really strong lineup in the west this year for the 3DS. While games like Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion may not sell that many systems on their own, I think they will do a lot to entice people who may be on the fence when a huge game like Pokemon X/Y comes around. If you are interested in a 3DS this holiday, you will have a lot of great recent releases to choose from. I'm more worried about support in 2014/2015. I don't think that Nintendo can afford to ease off of the software support for the 3DS if they want to keep the system visible (and therefore healthy) in the west, but I expect them to do just that as they attempt to salvage the Wii U.

Looking at the PAL charts, Animal Crossing is more important than Fire Emblem. But yeah.

They certainly do not have the luxury of easing up and having third parties picks up the slack like they did with the DS. But they did claim that their 2014 lineup would be just as strong from a first party standpoint, but that remains to be seen. There's literally no western publisher significantly supporting the thing in the West.

Grief.exe

5 million might even be a conservative estimate considering the heavy hitters that are coming out by the end of the year.

Sats

Banned
5 million might even be a conservative estimate considering the heavy hitters that are coming out by the end of the year.

Agreed.

Possible that Pokemon X/Y might be able to pull that it by itself.

It's the kind of game people buy systems for.

Oersted

They certainly do not have the luxury of easing up and having third parties picks up the slack like they did with the DS. But they did claim that their 2014 lineup would be just as strong from a first party standpoint, but that remains to be seen. There's literally no western publisher significantly supporting the thing in the West.

Monster Hunter 4 and Puzzle & Dragons Z.

Why is the Vita version called FFX HD? 960X544.

(q)HD

nZ1Vhov.jpg

"What happened to truth in advertising?"

cafemomo

It's missing FFX HD.

Bs9O8DK.png

Seriously though, Nintendo can reach the 5 million mark and quite possibly even pass that. I hope they do because the 3DS is a wonderful handheld and I want it to succeed because it seems like the 3DS is now the final frontier for JRPGs :/

Just depressed that the level of Squeenix support for the 3DS has plummeted (well...at least in the west)

The 3DS sold 1.6 million units after animal crossing released in week 46 to the end of the year. Animal crossing raised the weekly sales to about 160,000 during its launch. From week 33 (the week we just received), the 3DS sold 2.65 million units until the end of the year in 2012. This is an average of 140,000 a week.

This year the 3DS needs 2.66 million in order to cross 5 million, which is just over an average of 140,000 units a week. So 5 million is certainly doable no trouble there.

Grief.exe

The 3DS sold 1.6 million units after animal crossing released in week 46 to the end of the year. Animal crossing raised the weekly sales to about 160,000 during its launch. From week 33 (the week we just received), the 3DS sold 2.65 million units until the end of the year in 2012. This is an average of 140,000 a week.

This year the 3DS needs 2.66 million in order to cross 5 million, which is just over an average of 140,000 units a week. So 5 million is certainly doable no trouble there.

36992186.jpg

based Konami. I wonder if FFX|X-2 will have this

Konami also patched ZoE 2 HD for 1080p/60fps

Based Konami indeed.

Top Bottom