• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)

Ouch @ Wonderful 101.
But the game is so niche. Even I, as a hardcore gamer find it confusing and messy.

Theres being niche and then theres flopping this hard. For instance this game is niche:

c20130815_conseption2_001_cs1w1_720x_thumb.jpg

Yet it did more than three times the sales of W101.

This is one of those "Japanese gaming is dead" moments, isn't it?

Nope. One of thise this game flopped hard moments. There not exclusive to Japan.

Was there a heatwave in Japan this week ?

Where's that heatwave guy ?

Pokemon centres were empty too.

This is all part of Nintendo's plan to buy Plat for cheap.

I'm sure Platinum didn't loose much over this game seeing that Nintendo funded it. It just looks bad on their studio's commercial history.

The Boat

The WiiU is in a loooooooooot of trouble right now. There's definitely nothing in the rest of this year which will turn anything around either. Another holiday season wasted. In the first year of the WiiU's lifespan in Japan, it will have a grand total of 5 titles which sold over 100k, if Zelda WW HD breaks 100k. If it doesn't, then it'll have 4. It's really shocking how Nintendo has completely dropped the ball.

W101 is the 14th WiiU game in Japan to have actual tracked sales data. In 8 months, just 14 games which made any chart at all. The rest never even charted, mostly because they're all late ports of games which were already on the PS3, and most of them were western titles too.
This is all true, but let's face it, it wasn't W101 that was gonna get WiiU out of the mud.

Papacheeks

Banned
We haven't seen the North America numbers release yet, game isn't out till September.

But it's not surprising as Nintendo has done nothing for mass marketing.

If they take this approach with their first party games, yikes! Things are giong to get worse for Nintendo this Holiday season.

Slow week is slow.... but HOLY SHIT!

I can't believe those numbers for 101. I just can't comprehend. Surely it was more hyped and wanted than 5000 people. I just can't...

UK sales can't have even been far off those numbers yet hardware wise, Japan will be running rings around the UK's.

Man, what a complete bomb. Game deserves way better than that. What the hell went wrong? It'll struggle to hit 100k 50k WW with these figures.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The Wonderful 5k indeed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
First Weeks (by Famitsu):

Metal Gear Rising: 335,791 (PS3)
Bayonetta: 138,430 (PS3) + 66,211 (360) = 204,641
Vanquish: 51,705 (PS3) + 11,798 (360) = 63,503
Infinite Space: 40,266 (DS)
Anarchy Reigns: 21,199 (PS3) + 4,170 (360) = 25,369
The Wonderful 101: 6,663 (Wii U)
Mad World: 4,651 (Wii)

Nibel

I think gamers got worried about the title after playing the game due its complex nature

The WiiU is in a loooooooooot of trouble right now. There's definitely nothing in the rest of this year which will turn anything around either. Another holiday season wasted. In the first year of the WiiU's lifespan in Japan, it will have a grand total of 5 titles which sold over 100k, if Zelda WW HD breaks 100k. If it doesn't, then it'll have 4. It's really shocking how Nintendo has completely dropped the ball.

Agreed.

The only possible solution I can see to sell the system is to do a price drop - and I'm not talking about a small one, I'm talking about a crazy-ass 3DS level one, probably even higher than that

They failed to sell the system at a high price, they should drop the price so that the bad Wii U stigma will vanish - they've lost this generation it seems

Unbelievable perfomance, really :lol

AniHawk

I don't get it. Don't Wii U owners want games? What are the other 1m+ users doing with their Wii U

i think w101 has always appealed to western audiences more than japanese audiences. it won't sell a ton in america, but it will outsell the japanese release (i think).

bayonetta 2 might reverse things slightly.

I didn't make a prediction, but as a person who is not interested in buying W101, I can't say I'm surprised.

Conception II's sales are the most interesting thing about this week's sales. It may lead to more Vita games.

People have been arguing about niche games on 3DS vs Vita for a while around here.

Conception II is just another confirmation that niche games do indeed sell better on the Vita.

Scum

W101 is the 14th WiiU game in Japan to have actual tracked sales data. In 8 months, just 14 games which made any chart at all. The rest never even charted, mostly because they're all late ports of games which were already on the PS3, and most of them were western titles too.

All this, "12 days before launch is a great way to preview games" is one of the big problems. Miiverse Communities and previews should happen the moment the games are unveiled up until launch. If NCL treat SMTxFE, Bayo2, X and the others this way then the console side of Nintendo's business will be doomed.

5k for one of the flagship games on the system this season? I don't see how anyone could spin these numbers, that's just pathetic and awful for a Kamiya game.

Besides the game being niche and Platinum being cursed by Capcom's janitor who is a vodoo priest in secret:

Is it possible that releasing a demo was a mistake?

It had zero marketing and is on the Wii U. Nintendo forgot how to advertise. That’s all that needs to be said really.

I think gamers got worried about the title after playing the game due its complex nature

Agreed.

The only possible solution I can see to sell the system is to do a price drop - and I'm not talking about a small one, I'm talking about a crazy-ass 3DS level one, probably even higher than that

They failed to sell the system at a high price, they should drop the price so that the bad Wii U stigma will vanish - they've lost this generation it seems

A 3DS price drop would bring the system to sub 3DS Xl pricing for basic and 3DS XL pricing for deluxe. The money loss would be devastating

[WIU] The Wonderful 101 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.08.24} (¥6.830) - 5.258 / NEW

But...but...Nintendo did a great job with the marketing!

Nintendo direct is the best and cheapest marketing tool in the world!

Not talking about your game until the last month is cheap and works "wonderful"!

They released like 3 trailers! 3 of them!

I blame the japanese market, Nintendo did the best they could.

/sarcasm

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
[NDS] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin - The Lord of Elemental (Bandai Namco) - 86.105 / 104.757 / 82,19% 27/05/10
[PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God (Bandai Namco) - 81,214 / 110,846 73,27% 12/01/12
[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.22} (¥7.480) - 37.266 / NEW <40-60%>
[PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.22} (¥6.480) - 18.356 / NEW <40-60%>

PS3 + PSV = 55.622

What happened, here?

Somnid

Theres being niche and then theres flopping this hard. For instance this game is niche:

c20130815_conseption2_001_cs1w1_720x_thumb.jpg

Yet it did more than three times the sales of W101.

Nope. One of thise this game flopped hard moments. There not exclusive to Japan.

When the top sells better than the bottom you don't think that's a "gaming is dead" moment? What types of things do you see publisher more likely to greenlight going forward given the figures?

duckroll

A price drop cannot save a system which is getting no support from publishers, retailers, and even the first party. There can't be a price drop before Nintendo gets their act together for a healthy stream of releases for the system, or it will be a total waste of a short momentum boost.

Bishop89

the wii u lost 5k in hardware sales with wonderful 101 launching and bombing at that..

wow..

i wouldnt get any hopes up for bayonetta 3 ever existing.

First Weeks (by Famitsu):

Metal Gear Rising: 335,791 (PS3)
Bayonetta: 138,430 (PS3) + 66,211 (360) = 204,641
Vanquish: 51,705 (PS3) + 11,798 (360) = 63,503
Infinite Space: 40,266 (DS)
Anarchy Reigns: 21,199 (PS3) + 4,170 (360) = 25,369
The Wonderful 101: 6,663 (Wii U)
Mad World: 4,651 (Wii)

Thanks. :)

Man, W101...goddamn. I wasn't expecting Pokemon numbers, but I figured it would at least do as well or better than Anarchy Reigns week 1. Holy shit.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Although everyone will gang up on the Bombaful 101, take into account that everything sold like shit this week.

Hell, SRW OG had a very low opening too, and in 2 platforms even.

Radec

5k for one of the flagship games on the system this season? I don't see how anyone could spin these numbers, that's just pathetic and awful for a Kamiya game.

All Kamiya games this gen bombed.

(except for Rising which has Metal Gear name in it.)

edit: unless you're just talking about first week, which is yeah awful.

Absolutely. I love the cast and setting of the game. The current form of the game is how it should be.

If anything this game is cautionary tale. Releasing new IP and new gaming experiences is not the route to success in today's market (even better marketing would only have been a marginal improvement).

No, it's a cautionary tale not to put games on the WiiU.

shink

i think w101 has always appealed to western audiences more than japanese audiences. it won't sell a ton in america, but it will outsell the japanese release (i think).

bayonetta 2 might reverse things slightly.

I'd hope so. Is Bayonetta a big seller in Japan? I can find the debut week sales but unsure of the LTD.

Bleep

It's absolutely astonishing how poorly The Wonderful 101 performed and a massive shame given how much I'm enjoying the game.

Riki

A real shame about Wonderful 101. Very interested to see how Nintendo handles the WiiU. They obviously want to support it but I'm not sure they know with what or how.
Regardless, I'm insanely excited for the upcoming lineup and easily see myself using my WiiU most this generation.

Top Bottom