• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB XI: Transferring and Mega Starters Revealed!

Cse

Banned
Fortunately, Pokemon Bank appears to effectively prevent hacked Pokemon from being transferred to XY. I can't imagine Nintendo would allow hacked/illegitimately obtained Pokemon to be uploaded to Bank.

Fireblend

Banned
tumblr_mqvnuds4fJ1so4vavo1_500.gif

I forgive you because it's a Sherlock gif.

Qurupeke

Fortunately, Pokemon Bank appears to effectively prevent hacked Pokemon from being transferred to XY. I can't imagine Nintendo would allow hacked/illegitimately obtained Pokemon to be uploaded to Bank.
I wanted two things from 6th gen. Simultaneous worldwide release and anti hacking measures. The first is happening. The second probably, even though hackers always find a way.

That was atrocious, I'm glad I didn't wake up early. They could have just shown the Pokemon Bank tool without first talking about the history of Pokemon for 15 minutes. Mega Charizard does look pretty cool though.

JoeM86

That was atrocious, I'm glad I didn't wake up early. They could have just shown the Pokemon Bank tool without first talking about the history of Pokemon for 15 minutes. Mega Charizard does look pretty cool though.

They were talking about the history of the game's communication methods. It seemed fitting

Cse

Banned
It's also important to think of Bank in the larger context of the Pokemon universe (and not just X/Y). Starting with X/Y, every Pokemon game going forward will integrate seamlessly with Bank.

For the first time, players can actually feel like "trainers" by having their Pokemon with them at all times. They will have the ability to easily access their Pokemon from future Pokemon games, regardless of whether those games are on the 3DS, Wii U, or any future system.

It's also likely that your Pokemon Bank account will be tied into your Nintendo account - allowing you to log in to a future Pokemon game and have instant access to all of your Pokemon.

Toxi

Banned
Seems like neither is gonna be used in combat after all since both die easily, it's just that you are far safer to run Ninetales as lead. But like I said, leading with Charizard is enough to warrant an eyebrow raise.

I still feel like Zard is crap compared to most other starters barring Typhlosion, Samurott and Emboar though.
Ninetales isn't used as an attacker because it doesn't have good special attack. Charizard does.

Also, how is it safer to run Ninetales as a lead? Stealth Rock hurts you on switching in, not out.

Revven

I wanted two things from 6th gen. Simultaneous worldwide release and anti hacking measures. The first is happening. The second probably, even though hackers always find a way.

Again, this is really unlikely. GameFreak's "measures" to prevent illegitimately gotten Pokemon are basically "checks". They search for certain traits a Pokemon should and shouldn't have. Improper usage of the software to make Pokemon (such as exceeding 510 EVs, maxing out all IVs, or giving the Pokemon illegitimate moves) would be obvious red flags for the system. But if you don't exceed 510 EVs, have randomized IVs, and legitimate moves the Pokemon learns either naturally or via breeding (alongside proper Trainer ID and the ID for the nature and ability) then your Pokemon will be seen as legitimate.

Neither PokeSAV or Pokegen add any red flags to indicate the Pokemon is "hacked" or illegitimate. They are merely an extension of what a Gameshark/Action Replay is, it's equivalent to using a "Catch x Pokemon in the wild" code (except, well, the location would likely be wrong depending on the Poke that is being caught). It's a more sophisticated piece of software, where the only "getting around" GameFreak's checks are to just figuring out what they consider is a legitimate Pokemon vs a hacked one.

There's no "getting around" in this case, it's just using common sense and knowing what they're looking for in the end. It'll catch all the idiots, but not the actual smart competitive players that have been making Pokemon for years.

If it's 500 yen in Japan and is not inflated for America then I don't mind paying $5 a year for storage...
I'm in the same boat. Since this seems to be an ongoing service beyond just X/Y and solves the transferring hassles, I'll gladly pay the $5 a year. Have they said if this will integrate into other Pokemon games outside of the main franchise? Would be cool to utilize my Pokemon in spin-off titles or even some Wii U applications.

Mega Blastoise looks doofy as heck, don't know what they were trying to do there, but it didn't work. The other two are okay, all three worse than the initial designs, but none are as vomit inducingly terrible as Mega Mewtwo.

I love Mega Venusaur's ability though.

Macka

So, with Pokemon Bank we can transfer Pokemon from ANY Pokemon X&Y game to the App on our 3DS? Could I take a friend's game and transfer Pokemon into my bank?

From the bank, we can back up Pokemon in the cloud. This doesn't actually STORE them in the cloud, right? I figured it would be some sort of safeguard incase you damage or lose your game, but who is going to just leave their Pokemon stored online?

Highwind

Again, this is really unlikely. GameFreak's "measures" to prevent illegitimately gotten Pokemon are basically "checks". They search for certain traits a Pokemon should and shouldn't have. Improper usage of the software to make Pokemon (such as exceeding 510 EVs, maxing out all IVs, or giving the Pokemon illegitimate moves) would be obvious red flags for the system. But if you don't exceed 510 EVs, have randomized IVs, and legitimate moves the Pokemon learns either naturally or via breeding (alongside proper Trainer ID and the ID for the nature and ability) then your Pokemon will be seen as legitimate.

Neither PokeSAV or Pokegen add any red flags to indicate the Pokemon is "hacked" or illegitimate. They are merely an extension of what a Gameshark/Action Replay is, it's equivalent to using a "Catch x Pokemon in the wild" code (except, well, the location would likely be wrong depending on the Poke that is being caught). It's a more sophisticated piece of software, where the only "getting around" GameFreak's checks are to just figuring out what they consider is a legitimate Pokemon vs a hacked one.

There's no "getting around" in this case, it's just using common sense and knowing what they're looking for in the end. It'll catch all the idiots, but not the actual smart competitive players that have been making Pokemon for years.

^ Pretty much this.

That and I know people that used PokeGEN for their Pokemon and still managed to get into the rankings in the latest wi-fi tournament.

So, with Pokemon Bank we can transfer Pokemon from ANY Pokemon X&Y game to the App on our 3DS? Could I take a friend's game and transfer Pokemon into my bank?

From the bank, we can back up Pokemon in the cloud. This doesn't actually STORE them in the cloud, right? I figured it would be some sort of safeguard incase you damage or lose your game, but who is going to just leave their Pokemon stored online?
It *should* be for any game, but I'm guessing (and this is only a guess) that a specific save will only be able to transfer to one PGL account at a time, while a PGL account can transfer Pokemon back to any 6th gen and up game cart.

It is storing Pokemon, not backing up your save. And one could leave their extra Pokemon in the cloud, to keep them there for games in the future :)
So hey someone on gfaqs noticed a new pokemon was sneaked into the direct.

http://i.imgur.com/UaLyR2a.png[img][/QUOTE]
Hmm...!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Japanese release date.

5 a year for cloud storage of Pokemon for all games going forward is not bad at all.

although they've got to be making mad bank. In the BW games, pokemon in storage use a 220 byte structure. Even if they allocate 2 kilobytes for each pokemon in the online storage, that's 512 pokemon for each megabyte.

say you use 100 megabytes of data (51,200 pokemon!!!!!!!!). Still highly profitable for them.

Cha-ching. :)

Pretty sure they actually STORE them in the cloud. It'd mainly be to transfer boxes of Pokemon between games - which has been confirmed to be possible - instead of having to get another 3DS, catching lots of trading fodder, and trading over 1 by 1 which takes forever thanks to that animation and all that saving between trades.

And I'd have no problem leaving my extra babies online. When breeding I often keep a lot of my babies to trade and stuff and having a place to store all the cuties without cluttering up my ingame boxes would be very nice.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Swirlix evo!

Ninetales isn't used as an attacker because it doesn't have good special attack. Charizard does.

Also, how is it safer to run Ninetales as a lead? Stealth Rock hurts you on switching in, not out.

Only 25% weak to rock, also can hold an item.

Megazard (lol) loses the item and trades it for mega stone.

Caayn

Does this mean that we can transfer pokémon from X to Y (and vica versa) without needing another 2/3DS?

POKEBANK.jpg

I'm seeing wrong, or Magnezone now has gender (female in the pic)?
There's nothing wrong with your eyes. Was wondering about that to.

Yes, but Ninetales has to waste a moveslot on Sunny Day in 6v6. And yes, Sunny Day on Ninetales is the standard nowadays.

Megazard can essentially use Sunny Day simply by Mega Evolving and still attack on the same turn. This makes it superior because it doesn't have to waste a turn using Sunny Day if it loses the turn 0 weather war. Though to be fair Ninetales can still use Sunny Day after another weather inducer switches in.

I just checked for it myself, and sure enough, it's there. Who on earth found it though? It's like a quarter of a second...
A quarter of a second? If it was that long we would have all spotted it the first time around. I wouldn't be surprised if it was only, like, one frame...

I just checked for it myself, and sure enough, it's there. Who on earth found it though? It's like a quarter of a second...
I can easily guess how they caught it - they exported the video to make a GIF of Mega Venusaur (like I was about to do lol), and they advanced frame by frame to capture it correctly.

The shot is literally a single frame. Whoever captured the footage probably didn't even know (unless they did, and knew we'd be watching :D)

Frame 1:

Frame 2:

Frame 3:

Shengar

Annualy....paid? That doesn't sounds to good :/
I hope there isn't fee for transferring Pokemon over from Gen V for at least 3 times.

Toxi

Banned
Swirlix evo!

I think having insane power for special attacks (turns out Megazard gets a special attack boost in addition to Drought) easily beats out Leftovers. Fire Blast is possibly the new Specs Hydro Pump, and while Megazard might be more frail than Politoed, it's in the 100 speed tier and doesn't lock itself into a move.

The weakness to Rock doesn't really matter outside of Stealth Rock because both Ninetales and Megazard will die to one decent rock attack anyway.

Rezbit

Awww shit I haven't played a Pokemon game since the originals on Gameboy, Squirtle was my main man! Thinking about jumping back in for the first time since then and rolling with that bad man Squirtle once more.

Top Bottom