• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld: datamine reveals Pal that looks like Mewtwo as Pokémon plagiarism accusation saga continues

Draugoth

Gold Member
9DLPHgsWj9MWvPZwtSyQLo-1200-80.jpg

• A Palworld player has discovered an unused Pal called the "Dark Mutant" hidden in the game's files.
  • The Pal's a Dark-type, and is coded to have the Level 3 Handiwork, Level 3 Medicine Production, and Level 2 Transporting work skills.
  • A Paldex entry for it was also found, with the text suggesting the Dark Mutant can "tear holes into other dimensions," which may have led to the creation of some other Pal species.
  • Notably, the Dark Mutant looks remarkably similar to the Mega Mewtwo Y, a Mega Evolution for the first-generation legendary Pokémon Mewtwo.
The creature — which looks remarkably similar to Mega Mewtwo Y, a Mega Evolution of the first-generation legendary Pokémon Mewtwo — has a black and purple body, with sharp claws, horns, a long tail on its head, and the ability to levitate. It's referred to as the "Dark Mutant" in Palworld's code (I'd wager it'll be renamed to something else if added officially), and even has a Paldex entry.
Some say a beam from a {characterName id=|DarkMutant|/} that has perfected its technique can tear holes into other dimensions," it reads. "It's even believed that certain species of Pals were born from such phenomena."

You could probably guess this based on the name, but the Dark Mutant is a Dark-type Pal, which would make it highly effective against Neutral-types if it was in the game. It'd also be a solid worker at any Palworld base, as it's got Level 3 Handiwork, Level 3 Medicine Production, and Level 2 Transporting.

Brian Cozzens, the fan who found the Dark Mutant, told Windows Central that he found the Pal while he was putting together his Palworld interactive map that shows the location of every dungeon, Syndicate Tower, Alpha Pal miniboss, Lifmunk Effigy statue, and fast travel point. He also made a 3D model viewer, too, and it includes an entry for the Dark Mutant.

Text via WindowsCentral

Saber

Gold Member
Mega Mewtwo no longer exists, as Mega forms were throw in the garbage for other stupid gimmicks. Also, it looks similar to Mega Mewtwo but thats it. Unless it's one of those claims that they "stolen assets from Pokemon", this means nothing.

What the fuck is Mega Mewtwo Y?

Mega Mewtwo is a gimmick form, which btw has no similarities with Mega forms from Digimon, that was discontinued in subsequents games after S/M. Since it's not an evolution, it didn't count as such and act more like a transformation. It has two forms, X and Y, like Charicuckzard.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I don’t care about either Pokemon or Palworld..at all, but were they this creatively bankrupt that they couldn’t come up with own creature design?

The least people can call this is mockery. Because most of different monster games end up being accused by fans of being rip-offs, when Pokemon simply came with designs such as a pigeon and cartepillar and called Pokemon. Nowadays Pokemon even have keychains and flower colars, if this isn't being creativelly bankrupt I don't know what is.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The least people can call this is mockery. Because most of different monster games end up being accused by fans of being rip-offs, when Pokemon simply came with designs such as a pigeon and cartepillar and called Pokemon. Nowadays Pokemon even have keychains and flower colars, if this isn't being creativelly bankrupt I don't know what is.
I don’t play Pokémon because I’m just not in to their designs (especially compare Demon designs in SMT) and I’m not saying Palworld should get shutdown, they shouldn’t but I have zero respect for them. They simply were not creative enough to design their own creatures so they shamelessly copied Pokémon designs.

Raonak

Banned
That's clearly based off Mewtwo.
But it's also clearly different.

Not gonna hold up in court in any way or form.

JackMcGunns

The hair-like tails
Both of them are floating
3 toes and 3 fingers
Hips with a pointy top
Pointy Ears

???

The hair-like tails - Star Wars's Ahsoka Tano would like word with you
Both of them are floating - Not the first or only floating character
3 toes and 3 fingers - How many characters with 5 fingers are there? should we start calling out?
Hips with a pointy top - There are pleny of characters like this
Pointy Ears - Every Elf in existence are glaring at you.

Was it inspired by this character? maybe.

Is it a carbon copy? Nope.

Roxkis_ii

Looks legally distinct to me. Lol What do people hope to accomplish with this? "Ohhh people are going finally stop playing when we drop this bomb shell!"

A man once said " They'll always be haters, that's the way it is. Hater ninjas marry hater bitches and have hater kids.."

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I dislike Pokémon and have never played Palworld. I don't have a side in this epic war between Pokémon and Palworld fans. I'm Switzerland in this way.

Saying that, I think it's pretty obvious Palworld ripped off Pokémon designs. You'd have to be a diehard Palworld fan or blind to say otherwise.

llLeonhart

You don't have to be a genius to see that hey *HEAVILY* based their design off of Pokemon, just as you don't have to be a genious to see pokemon got influenced by DQ as well.
My question is, to us, consumers, why does it even matter? I'm having a blast playing Palworld, instead, some people behave as if they have some sort of stakes in all of this. Do the majority of Nintendo fans own stock of the company or something?

near

Gold Member
Facts:
- The game plays nothing like Pokemon
- No actual evidence of plagiarism
- Pocketpair is a Japanese company that understands its own laws on infringing upon intellectual property
- Nintendo would've taken action a long time ago if there was a case to be made

Also facts:
- Pokemon fans are crying
- People continue to talk out there buttholes
- Devs are receiving death threats as a result of all of the above

MiguelItUp

Inspired and influenced by, of course. But plagiarized? I wouldn't go that far at all.

e5v1Hq5p

Edit - Here's apparently "the" photo, disregard the one I used above from some article I saw.
9DLPHgsWj9MWvPZwtSyQLo-1200-80.jpg

these soft losers have no idea what plagiarism means, it's different enough and they need to stop crying.
If this is plagiarism there are many things in this industry that could be considered too.

This is just pokemon fans being pokemon fanboys

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA
Yeah, honestly it's getting out of hand. People want them to fail or be in trouble cause they're either Pokémon fans, or they just want some more drama fat to chew on I guess.

With that logic, if that's plagiarism, then so is this, lmao.
8535x9evwit61.jpg

250px-HInf_Character_Master_Chief_render.png
glitch-5970-untitled.jpg

Last edited:

tkscz

I don't think Pokemon fans understood TPC's reply. It was pretty much saying "Yes we get it, please stop sending us this stuff".

If Nintendo or TPC wanting to do anything about this, it would've been done already. There isn't a case here, like there wasn't a case with Yoki Watch, or Monster Rancher, or fucking Telefang, which was so close to Pokemon that pirates pushed it off as an actual Pokemon game, anyone remember these?
tumblr_inline_p025f2bEWD1r01cmm_1280.png

Pokemon fans need to just drop it. Nintendo and/or TPC do not care at this point. They got their money from S/V and the DLC, not to mention merch, they are sitting pretty.

hyperbertha

Inspired and influenced by, of course. But plagiarized? I wouldn't go that far at all.

e5v1Hq5p

Yeah, honestly it's getting out of hand. People want them to fail or be in trouble cause they're either Pokémon fans, or they just want some more drama fat to chew on I guess.

You're not looking at the right Mewtwo tho. Trying to fool us? Look at the mega evolution in op.

hyperbertha

You don't have to be a genius to see that hey *HEAVILY* based their design off of Pokemon, just as you don't have to be a genious to see pokemon got influenced by DQ as well.
My question is, to us, consumers, why does it even matter? I'm having a blast playing Palworld, instead, some people behave as if they have some sort of stakes in all of this. Do the majority of Nintendo fans own stock of the company or something?
I just can't play it. There plenty of other games to have fun. It's not like we're starved for fun games. I'm not playing a clear counterfeit product. It's like playing a bootleg. No thanks.

Top Bottom