• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Pokémon League | There are 18 badges in GAF; Gary Oak has 20

Shun

Gym's open, 6v6 smogons only for now.

Schedule via pm, I'm gonna be watching College Basketball at the same time so bear with me :[

JulianImp

Yeah, Tyranitar is the one Rock type I can think of that's been universally good (well, Terrakion, but that's a legendary). Aerodactyl has had its time in the sun as well, but other than that virtually everything else needs either TR or Rain to work at all. It's just so annoying/weird that they felt the need to give rock 5 weaknesses when most types have 2-3.

But oh well. I'll make do with what I've got, though I honestly hope GF puts some effort into helping the type. I didn't even really think of how bad Rocks have it till I got their gym.

Honestly, Kabutops is decent, even without rain! Base 80 speed means it can speed tie with Dragonite and stuff, and it has good attack and defense, and decent special defense (bad HP, though). Running it with a +Speed nature could let it be your fastest non-Aerodactyl mon, and I guess you could even try and run it with a Choice Scarf (probably Adamant), or Life Orb and Swords Dance, since it even gets a STAB priority move in Aqua Jet, Knock Off for some nice damage against item users and Stone Edge for that 150 base damage. Without Swords Dance, it also gets a decent STAB move in Waterfall, which also has the added bonus of flinching.

No matter which set you're running, I guess it'd make more sense to run Swift Swim in case you encounter a rain team than Shell Armor, since Kabutops, while sporting decent defenses, isn't meant for taking too many hits and has no viable recovery move.

Alchemy

Mono-Rock is pretty interesting. Aerodactyl, Shuckle, Armaldo, Crustle, and Carbink all take neutral from fighting and are usable. Tyrantrum, Barbaracle, Relicanth, Cradily, Kabutops, and Omastar are all neutral to water. Rhyperior and Eviolite Rhydon are pretty tough, and you can Mega Aggron to switch to a Steel type.

I'd probably run a bulky offensive Sand team if I was doing Rock, with Sticky Web and Stealth Rocks support. I dunno how anyone can complain about their type when they could be running Shuckle!

Shun

UltimateIke earns an Azalea badge! That one misplay cost me the first round :[

Nice team, yay for freeze hacks and RNG hahaha. Enjoy your Shaymin.

MicH

I had some really fun battles with renegade_dewitt and I was able to defend the Typhoon gym by winning 2-0. Really great battles and I look forward to battle you again :D

Here are out battles:

Battle 1: EDRW-WWWW-WWW6-FXQA
Battle 2: YSWW-WWWW-WWW6-FXQL

Boogiepop

Mono-Rock is pretty interesting. Aerodactyl, Shuckle, Armaldo, Crustle, and Carbink all take neutral from fighting and are usable. Tyrantrum, Barbaracle, Relicanth, Cradily, Kabutops, and Omastar are all neutral to water. Rhyperior and Eviolite Rhydon are pretty tough, and you can Mega Aggron to switch to a Steel type.

I'd probably run a bulky offensive Sand team if I was doing Rock, with Sticky Web and Stealth Rocks support. I dunno how anyone can complain about their type when they could be running Shuckle!

To be fair part of my problem is that I'm too stubborn to give up on doubles and run singles, haha! Shuckle is definitely a fun little pokemon, though, I can agree to that.

UltimateIke earns an Azalea badge! That one misplay cost me the first round :[

Nice team, yay for freeze hacks and RNG hahaha. Enjoy your Shaymin.

Thanks for the battles and the Shaymin! I didn't mean to cancel the trade after on you, but I didn't realize you were going to keep giving me even more after that!

Not far to go now!
q1WUWqE.png

Here are the battle codes if anyone is interested.

Battle 1: QB6G-WWWW-WWW6-FXPM
Battle 2: XC7G-WWWW-WWW6-FXPP

JulianImp

I... uh... I take all my previous comments back. You must run Shuckle. Power Split basically turns the target into an emo-mode Archeops, and it also gets several support moves such as Knock Off, Safeguard, Gastro Acid and Encore. It tends to be dismissed by opponents, but I guess they'd go out of their minds and run for it as soon as you used Power Trick on it (that's why you run Quick Claw and hope for hax).

TIL you can mega evolve while you're asleep

Haha, thank you for battling me! I worked on that strategy for several days before I came up with a way for my team to beat Swift Swim and Rain Dance without being able to substitute anyone.

Too bad the other gyms still aren't ready...

jWMWRrf.png

Battle Codes:

6EBW-WWWW-WWW6-F2NM
LM3G-WWWW-WWW6-F2NZ

Yeah, Tyranitar is the one Rock type I can think of that's been universally good (well, Terrakion, but that's a legendary). Aerodactyl has had its time in the sun as well, but other than that virtually everything else needs either TR or Rain to work at all. It's just so annoying/weird that they felt the need to give rock 5 weaknesses when most types have 2-3.

But oh well. I'll make do with what I've got, though I honestly hope GF puts some effort into helping the type. I didn't even really think of how bad Rocks have it till I got their gym.

Allow me to rant about Ice type for just a moment. Great attacking type, theres no doubt in my mind, but defensively... we only resist ourselves! At least rock resists 4 other types (Though it should resist itself too). Seriously, shouldn't ice resist bug? Technically speaking bugs hate the cold and die very easily from it. But maybe they didn't want to cripple Bug type. Ultimately when you add everything up, Ice and Rock are two of the worst types. Look here and pay attention to the left column. Funnily enough, Rock/Ice dual type is the WORST type in the game.

All that being said, I love my Ice team. They kick ass when I battle randoms for fun and have put up a great fight against challengers so far.

spiritfox

Any Gym Leaders on right now that want to battle?

I am open to battle! But you already have my badge...

Allow me to rant about Ice type for just a moment. Great attacking type, theres no doubt in my mind, but defensively... we only resist ourselves! At least rock resists 4 other types (Though it should resist itself too). Seriously, shouldn't ice resist bug? Technically speaking bugs hate the cold and die very easily from it. But maybe they didn't want to cripple Bug type. Ultimately when you add everything up, Ice and Rock are two of the worst types. Look here and pay attention to the left column. Funnily enough, Rock/Ice dual type is the WORST type in the game.

All that being said, I love my Ice team. They kick ass when I battle randoms for fun and have put up a great fight against challengers so far.

Both Rock and Ice are great offensive types, but poor defensively. Combine that with the fact that most Rock and Ice Pokemon are defensively oriented and those moves are freely available on many other Pokemon, means that you're better off using off-typed Pokemon for those moves. Ice should at least resist Water, cause you know, it freezes.

And poor Aurorus.

Alchemy

Both Rock and Ice are great offensive types, but poor defensively. Combine that with the fact that most Rock and Ice Pokemon are defensively oriented and those moves are freely available on many other Pokemon, means that you're better off using off-typed Pokemon for those moves. Ice should at least resist Water, cause you know, it freezes.

And poor Aurorus.

At least they don't have to worry as much about Quick Attack Mega Pinsir or Gale Wings Brave Bird Talonflame :/

spiritfox

I think Talonflame was holding the Choice Band when we fought, so I actually used a PP Max on Brave Bird beforehand just to see if a case came up where you would try to stall it out.

Ike, is that Mia from Golden Sun? Where did you get that picture?

edit: Nevermind I found it =P

Alchemy you up for a battle?

It's to bad most Singles use Smogon rules, which means I can't shred with my Mega Lucario :( It also means I'm gonna have to come up with a good doubles team, which I've yet to do.

Shun

Let me complain too, as much as I love being grass leader I'm terribly offensively and defensively. Shallow movepools, dual types have common weaknesses, etc.

I get a ton of support moves so it evens out!

spiritfox

So fluffy.

Let me complain too, as much as I love being grass leader I'm terribly offensively and defensively. Shallow movepools, dual types have common weaknesses, etc.

I don't want to complain as a Ground type but it's like the exact opposite of Grass. All offense, no status worth a damn other than Toxic. I get shut down too easily by other sweepers as I have no way to counter them.

Alchemy

Alchemy you up for a battle?

It's to bad most Singles use Smogon rules, which means I can't shred with my Mega Lucario :( It also means I'm gonna have to come up with a good doubles team, which I've yet to do.

Wanna battle at 8pm PST (40 minutes from now)? Making dinner. Also I run Battlespot singles and doubles, so you totally can bring the Mega Lucario against me if you want.

Boogiepop

CrimsonN0 won the Ancient Badge, 2-1. Good battles, a shame that I can't seem to win out with rock even if I have the type advantage, though, haha!

Bladenic

Yeah Grass is my favorite type but it's probably the overall worst type :( unlike rock and ice Grass isn't that great offensively (way too many types resist it) and too many weaknesses.

CrimsonN0

CrimsonN0 won the Ancient Badge, 2-1. Good battles, a shame that I can't seem to win out with rock even if I have the type advantage, though, haha!
Yeah, GG.
The main thing is definitey the speed difference.
Its why I definitely wouldn't let Trick Room go off again.

Sputtid

Banned
Wow, terrific idea!
And just around the time I'd finished building my team. It's gimmicky, and mostly based on aesthetical choices, but I'll sure as hell try to beat every one of you with it. :)

Frost_Ace

Just realized I have a pretty shitty team, guess I have to lose some times so I can swap some members :/

Is there any other gym leader available?

Top Bottom