• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Pokémon League | There are 18 badges in GAF; Gary Oak has 20

fek

Won Frost_Ace's challenge, 2-0. Thanks for the matches! I like your team but you are right, it has a hard time against electric. Good games anyway, looking forward for your next challenge.

JulianImp

Anybody up for a fight today, from 19:00 GMT?
I'm interested in 6v6 Smogon Singles.

I'll be available for a 6v6 in about fifteen minutes from now, if you're still interested. Remember to post your FC here or send it to me through PM, and get mine from either the OP or my profile.

Sputtid

Banned
I'll be available for a 6v6 in about fifteen minutes from now, if you're still interested. Remember to post your FC here or send it to me through PM, and get mine from either the OP or my profile.

Aw, sorry, I guessed I was out of luck and buried myself in assignments.
What about today (monday), around 21:00 GMT?

JulianImp

Aw, sorry, I guessed I was out of luck and buried myself in assignments.
What about today (monday), around 21:00 GMT?

I'm just returning home from work at that time, and I've got something to do tomorrow after work. I'd say I'll be available for battling at 24:00 GMT at the earliest... the day after tomorrow, I'll probably be available starting at around 23:00 GMT.

Sputtid

Banned
I'm just returning home from work at that time, and I've got something to do tomorrow after work. I'd say I'll be available for battling at 24:00 GMT at the earliest... the day after tomorrow, I'll probably be available starting at around 23:00 GMT.

Wednesday sounds better of the two. I don't have any lectures on Thursday mornings, so I can afford some late night battling. So 23:00 GMT, Wednesday?

If anyone else is free that day from 22:00, I'm up for another challange. :)

JulianImp

Wednesday sounds better of the two. I don't have any lectures on Thursday mornings, so I can afford some late night battling. So 23:00 GMT, Wednesday?

If anyone else is free that day from 22:00, I'm up for another challange. :)

Oh, I meant Tuesday at 23:00 GMT. I don't have to work on Wednesday, so I might be able to battle a lot earlier than that, if you want.

By the way, I'm still looking forward to doing another multi-battle, so if anyone wants that, just let me know! I think I still don't know enough to get into full-fledged doubles, and multis appear to make things somewhat easier (plus, there's always someone else you can ask for advice!).

macklelol

I defended the Normal Badge against Sputtid, winning 2-0. GGs, Sputtid, they were fun battles. I look forward to our rematch in the near future.

Aggrotek

Good games Crimson. You win the Scry Badge.

The only thing I hate is how damn reliant on crits your team is... :(

JulianImp

I'd say you're plagued by bad luck, since I also pulled off double crits against your Reuniclus with my burned Escavalier the one time we played 6v6. I think you even had Reflect up or something. :p

CrimsonN0

GG.
I did specifically put Night Slash on my Scarfed, Guts Heracross just to deal with your Sigilyph once it starts to Cosmic Power.
I think things would be pretty much the same if I didn't Thunder crit on Gardevoir since with Stick Web and half health, something else would've taken it. I think you only had Light Screen up at the time and I had moslty physcial attackers.
As for the last showdown, yeah...
Getting a crit on X-Scissor through Reflect was pretty lucky.
I had an Assault Vest on, so I think if you Scalded me and I didn't get Burned I still would've won next turn, though, If you did Burn me and just kept using Slack Off, there'd be nothing I could do.

Aggrotek

GG.
I did specifically put Night Slash on my Scarfed, Guts Heracross just to deal with your Sigilyph once it starts to Cosmic Power.
I think things would be pretty much the same if I didn't Thunder crit on Gardevoir since with Stick Web and half health, something else would've taken it. I think you only had Light Screen up at the time and I had moslty physcial attackers.
As for the last showdown, yeah...
Getting a crit on X-Scissor through Reflect was pretty lucky.
I had an Assault Vest on, so I think if you Scalded me and I didn't get Burned I still would've won next turn, though, If you did Burn me and just kept using Slack Off, there'd be nothing I could do.

They were close games no doubt. I was fighting an uphill battle as it was. :p
I did my best, I have no regrets.

Okay, I just got my 4th shiny today while breeding Joltiks. My previous shinies in this gen were Heracross, Combee (male) and Illumise (all spontaneous). Then I realized, THEY'RE ALL BUGS. That had me thinking, maybe I should pursue the post of a shiny bug gym leader.

JulianImp

Okay, I just got my 4th shiny today while breeding Joltiks. My previous shinies in this gen were Heracross, Combee (male) and Illumise (all spontaneous). Then I realized, THEY'RE ALL BUGS. That had me thinking, maybe I should pursue the post of a shiny bug gym leader.

Nice! I have never gotten a shiny while breeding, and the only shiny bug I do have is a Venomoth someone helped me get using the PokéRadar back in gen 4.

Feel free to give it a shot, but you'll probably have to either snag the position from me before CrimsonN0 does, or snag it from him if he does beat me before then!

At first I felt like bugs were weak despite liking them, but now I've started to really appreciate some of them such as Galvantula, Escavalier or Vivillon, and I also finally got around to trying a Volcarona, which I always liked. Even if they aren't one of the best types, they have enough tools at their disposal to hold their own and avoid being push-overs; it just took me a while to get accustomed to them and come up with strategies to fight back against most common bug counters.

fek

Won CrimsonN0's challenge 2-0, good games. Once again getting some lucky paralysis there. I totally forgot about Moxie on the first match but couldn't do much about it anyway.

JulianImp

Any gym leaders going to be available tonight around 8-9 eastern?

That'd be 22-23 GMT, right? I might be available then.

Also, I think I'll stop accepting 3v3 singles challenges from now on, since I've been enjoying 6v6s considerably more.

I'm also thinking about building a regular team, even if I don't get to challenge fellow leaders for their badges. I'll probably go look for a list of my favorite pokémon and see what I can do. It's a pity I won't be able to use my SubPunching, Pain Splitting Muk, since I really liked it (imperfect IVs be damned), but I guess I'll just look for other mons instead.

JulianImp

My bugs, being nocturnal creatures, were up despite it being almost midnight in Sputtid's side of the world, ensnared the tired trainer and his pokémon in their web and defeated them 2-0. The Swarm Badge is safe yet again... but for how long? I can't upload the battle videos right now since my upload list is currently full, so I hope these descriptions are enough:

Game one was the most balanced one, where his Kelfki played pranks to protect its teammates while Galvantula and Forretress deployed sharp rock shards, poison-laced thorns and an inexpungable web that pestered Sputtid's team throughout the match. After both of us had set up somewhat, our pokémon exchanged blows, but Sputtid seemingly was too tired and worn down to see my bug's crafty moves coming, which costed him several of his pokémon. With most of his team down, it came down to Volcarona taking Hydreigon's boosted attacks while setting up, attacking through the hydra's Substitute with a Bug Buzz and then proceeding to sweep the rest of the opposition.

Game two was more one-sided, since Vivillon got to put the key-toting fairy to sleep, powered up a bit and then managed to confuse its foe with the wicked hurricanes it let loose. Kelfki then proceeded to hit itself twice while Vivillon finished the job, which made my opponent throw the match now that he probably had nothing that could reliably stop the sleep-inducing butterfly and its souped-up attacks.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to battling with you again, Sputtid, hopefully at some other time that's more favorable to you.

EDIT: With this match done, my gym closes its doors for today.

fek

ReiGun gets the Volt Badge, 2-1! Good games, thank you for the challenge and good luck on your next matches!

ReiGun

ReiGun gets the Volt Badge, 2-1! Good games, thank you for the challenge and good luck on your next matches!

Good games, fek! Thank you for matches.

Edit: Uploaded the battle videos. The first match, unfortunately, was ended by a disconnect.

XDVW-WWWW-WWW6-JQHM
MGFG-WWWW-WWW6-JQY2

fek

I won PBalfredo's challenge, 2-1. Good games, I did get some decisive lucky paralysis there. I look forward for your next challenge!

PBAlfredo loses 1-2 its rematch against ColossalLazy. Great games!

The RNG is fascinating. Helped you win one and helped me win another.

Oh yeah I am available for one and half hours.

PBalfredo

Very good games against Lazy. His Greninja kept me guessing.

BYCW-WWWW-WWW6-KHG3
RH9G-WWWW-WWW6-KHG5
ZA4G-WWWW-WWW6-KHGD

By the way, did the Gym Leaders ever decide on a Match of the Week?

spiritfox

YES! I finally broke my losing streak, winning against ReiGun 2-1. Good battles, and I finally managed to defeat a Scizor!

ReiGun

YES! I finally broke my losing streak, winning against ReiGun 2-1. Good battles, and I finally managed to defeat a Scizor!

Good games. Kicking myself for having nothing for Excadrill or rocks, even though I told myself they were coming before the battle. lol

Battle videos:
7GTG-WWWW-WWW6-KKDW
8PEW-WWWW-WWW6-KKDH
Y3PG-WWWW-WWW6-KKDQ

spiritfox

Good games. Kicking myself for having nothing for Excadrill or rocks, even though I told myself they were coming before the battle. lol

Battle videos:
7GTG-WWWW-WWW6-KKDW
8PEW-WWWW-WWW6-KKDH
Y3PG-WWWW-WWW6-KKDQ

Azumarill could have destroyed Excadrill if he survived long enough, which is why I had to take him down before I could do anything. I feel Garchomp is not pulling his weight enough, maybe because he keeps switching in in the worst times.

Sputtid

Banned
My bugs, being nocturnal creatures, were up despite it being almost midnight in Sputtid's side of the world, ensnared the tired trainer and his pokémon in their web and defeated them 2-0. The Swarm Badge is safe yet again... but for how long? I can't upload the battle videos right now since my upload list is currently full, so I hope these descriptions are enough:

Game one was the most balanced one, where his Kelfki played pranks to protect its teammates while Galvantula and Forretress deployed sharp rock shards, poison-laced thorns and an inexpungable web that pestered Sputtid's team throughout the match. After both of us had set up somewhat, our pokémon exchanged blows, but Sputtid seemingly was too tired and worn down to see my bug's crafty moves coming, which costed him several of his pokémon. With most of his team down, it came down to Volcarona taking Hydreigon's boosted attacks while setting up, attacking through the hydra's Substitute with a Bug Buzz and then proceeding to sweep the rest of the opposition.

Game two was more one-sided, since Vivillon got to put the key-toting fairy to sleep, powered up a bit and then managed to confuse its foe with the wicked hurricanes it let loose. Kelfki then proceeded to hit itself twice while Vivillon finished the job, which made my opponent throw the match now that he probably had nothing that could reliably stop the sleep-inducing butterfly and its souped-up attacks.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to battling with you again, Sputtid, hopefully at some other time that's more favorable to you.

EDIT: With this match done, my gym closes its doors for today.

Such a nicely written summary almost makes the humiliating defeat worth it.
Thanks again, and I hope to provide you a more trying challange next time.

Top Bottom