• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-CAVE Makoto Asada heads to MAGES, making Xbox One game

MAGES has announced that ex-CAVE producer Makoto Asada, known for setting up CAVE's internal Xbox360 development team has joined the company as a producer.

deILjVC.jpg

He is currently working on an X-box One package title, of which no details (content, release date) are provided, and he is also working on the localization of "Constant C" which is, interestingly enough, developed by IGS (makers of the Taiwan-released "Dodonpachi II", which has a controversial place among the series' fanbase). This title will apparently be released in early 2014 in Japan for Xbox360.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201309/06039565.html

Shooter folks will know Mages for their latest work Ketsui on PS3. They also make a lot of adventure games.

Asada was pretty much single-handedly responsible for CAVE's Xbox360 shooter division, and he was for a short time a corporate officer in the company. There was speculation that he might go to Microsoft, but it looks like he's gone somewhere closer to home. Given that he developed Instant Brain, an adventure game, for CAVE it's probable that the main title he's working on is an adventure title especially given MAGES' pedigree.

hongcha

Asada is great. I loved the Cave shooters on the X360 and I also loved Instant Brain: it is one of the only VNs I could play to completion and really enjoy the whole thing. I am hoping he does some PS4 development as I do not really want to buy an Xbone if I can avoid it (probably not!).

jbug617

Banned
I thought he would of joined MS Studios Osaka. Seems like Xbox One will still get SHMUP support but the good news since the console is region free the games will be easier to buy via retail or digital download.

Grimløck;80267797 said:
I guess we can extrapolate that the XBO will release relatively early in Japan from this news.

Apologies, I misread that. Constant C is for Xbox Live on Xbox360.

False alarm! Fixed it in the OP.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Ketsui on the PS3 was such a good job. I'm so sad it bombed.

Ketsui PS3 was a serviceable port, but I couldn't find a reason to double dip. Maybe when/if my import 360 dies and I need a region free version.

Most people serious about Ketsui already have a PCB or the 360 version.

Wow. How did cave lose him?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572397

The most relevant bit:

Makoto Asada said:
Q: As a last thought, please give us your thoughts on things at the moment.

A: (Asada) For about four years, we've released a lot of CAVE games on the Xbox360. The fact that we've managed to put out 10 games in this time is thanks to the players who are reading this. I'm very happy that we were able to put out Saidaioujou as our last product.
The truth is that this could have come to pass much earlier. After we released Musihimesama for Xbox 360, I had made the decision to leave CAVE.
However, very quickly the decision was made to put out Saidaioujou, so I extended my time here until we could release the game. Since we've been able to put the game out, my role at CAVE should be finished.
In a future not far away...or rather soon I think (heh), I think I will meet you all again in a different capacity. Thank you for everything over the years.

Yes Boss!

So good news? As in likely shooter news?

It does not really matter to me where the high-end shooters end up (if they come at all).

Just hoping they would go to ONE/PS4 since those likely will get better stick support.

bloke

Hm ok finally some news on japanese XBO titles... wonder why's no info whatsoever about MS TGS conference, or media briefing, whatever they'll be having.

Huh, good thing the One is region free otherwise it would just be a repeat of this generation where excellent looking shooters never made it to the UK/EU and them region locked meant it was impossible to import....

Yes Boss!

Huh, good thing the One is region free otherwise it would just be a repeat of this generation where excellent looking shooters never made it to the UK/EU and them region locked meant it was impossible to import....

Not necessarily true. Nobody really knows anything about the range of region-free-ness of either the PS4 or One. There are a lot of potential pitfalls. Some among them: the malicious IP blocking (especially incendiary if the games are download only), use of foreign cards (if cards are locked then will we have a method of buying cards in the local currency?), etc.

StayDead

Mages NOOOOOOOO! Not Xbox one games. Anything but that. I won't be able to import those/don't want to buy an Xbox one. T_T

Himself

Looks like some suit up in Microsoft's offices must of read my post about the only thing that would get me to consider an XBONE is if it becomes the shmup console again.

Not necessarily true. Nobody really knows anything about the range of region-free-ness of either the PS4 or One. There are a lot of potential pitfalls. Some among them: the malicious IP blocking (especially incendiary if the games are download only), use of foreign cards (if cards are locked then will we have a method of buying cards in the local currency?), etc.

Jeez, have a little faith.

You're probably right though, I fully expect they'll implement some arbitrary blocks. IP blocking will probably be the main one.

I'm not optimistic at all about network based region locking.

Discs not being region locked might just be lip service as network connections become required for almost everything. And we already know PSN and Live are heavily region locked when it comes to buying/accessing downloadable games/content.

Yes Boss!

Jeez, have a little faith.

You're probably right though, I fully expect they'll implement some arbitrary blocks. IP blocking will probably be the main one.

Oh, I'm optimistic. The last thing I truly want to do is to have to buy a second One.

Personally, I don't really care about region-locking. Even PS3 has a ton of hoops to jump through if you want to acutally use their download store (which is fully region-locked). IP blocking would probably get me upset though.

Folks tend to bitch about how region-locked the Nintnedo platforms are. But, truthfully, their download stores are ridiculously unlocked (so long as you own the hardware)...I can use any card from any country from anywhere in the world an download stuff. J-PSN and J-360 are on the other hand pretty damn locked (card lockout the first, Card and IP lockout the second). It will be interesting to see what we get with the new systems.

Beckx

Seems like a good fit for him. Looks like a good chance of me picking up an Xbox One eventually.

The possibility of an all new shmup setting is exciting.

The possibility of IP locked stores is...less exciting.

Oh, I'm optimistic. The last thing I truly want to do is to have to buy a second One.

Personally, I don't really care about region-locking. Even PS3 has a ton of hoops to jump through if you want to acutally use their download store (which is fully region-locked). IP blocking would probably get me upset though.

Folks tend to bitch about how region-locked the Nintnedo platforms are. But, truthfully, their download stores are ridiculously unlocked (so long as you own the hardware)...I can use any card from any country from anywhere in the world an download stuff. J-PSN and J-360 are on the other hand pretty damn locked (card lockout the first, Card and IP lockout the second). It will be interesting to see what we get with the new systems.

Albert Penello already said no ip-block for digital games and DLCs
I think JP PSN will be the same like XB1(if it's locked like you said) after all

Hindle

Banned
This just adds more intrigue to thier plans for Japan. I'm thinking he's gone to Microsofts Osaka studio.

Chobel

This just adds more intrigue to thier plans for Japan. I'm thinking he's gone to Microsofts Osaka studio.

What? Right in the article they said he went to MAGES.
Why did he not go to Microsofts Osaka studio? That, I don't know.

Tain

I wouldn't mind seeing an STG, but Asada was never really an STG guy, you know? So yeah, probably an adventure game.

jbug617

Banned
I just realized that MAGES is 5.pb, isn't it? So an ADV for sure.

5pb US Twitter account has been hinting that they will have announcements for the US. My guess probably Phantom Breaker Extra that was just released in Japan might come over. The original game was suppose to come out in the US but suddenly disappeared.

@5pbgamesUSA: Hello Twitterverse! You're not going crazy, we've changed our name from @pbbgusa to @5pbgamesUSA. That means new things are coming your way!

From Facebook:
We're leveling up! This Phantom Breaker:Battle Grounds page will soon evolve into a page covering all of 5pb. Games USA releases. That means new, amazing things are coming your way. Worry not, we'll still be covering plenty of Phantom Breaker as well!

They also tweeted a Phantom Breaker Extra video IGN put out.

Top Bottom