• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft respond to the EDGE article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biker19

Banned
Those are going by Nvidia's still fluffed numbers. The real numbers look more like this.

PS3 | RSX: 176 Gflops and Cell: 230 Glops, Total 406 Gflops

360 | Xenos: 240 Gflops and CPU: 77 Gflops, Total 317 Glops

PS3 based on raw performance is 28% more powerful than the 360.

The reason the raw performance figures did not line up with multi platform titles is because Cell and the PS3's RSX were notoriously difficult to develop for. Non unified split ram, multiples SPE's, less overall memory to work with etc. The GPU was actually weaker, and could only overcome it piggy backing off some heavy handed Cell SPE usage. Sony first party had the time and development resources to do this, which is why PS3 first party titles are the best looking and most technically impressive this generation.

Very different situation now...

PS4 | GPU: 1.84 Tflops and CPU: 100 Glops, Total 1.94 Tflops

Xbox One | GPU: 1.31 Tflops and CPU: 109 Gflops, Total 1.41 Tflops

PS4 based on raw performance is 38% more powerful than the Xbox One, but without any of the previous issues that plagued the PS3, and with a whole host of other advantages over the XO. This time it's the PS4 with the unified ram, the higher ram bandwidth, the higher ram availability etc. It's a completely different situation.

This should put an end to those that say that PS3 & 360 are very equal in graphics & power. If it wasn't for the fact that the cell processor was very difficult to develop for, then most of the multiplats on PS3 would've far surpassed most multiplats on 360 right now.

This should put an end to those that say that PS3 & 360 are very equal in graphics & power. If it wasn't for the fact that the cell processor was very difficult to develop for, then most of the multiplats on PS3 would've far surpassed most multiplats on 360 right now.

To ignore that fact is to ignore reality. While it might technically be true to say that the PS3 had more potential power, that nugget of information tells you little about how gaming actually played out on both systems. Cross platform games generally looked better on the 360, and the PS3 could never implement cross game chat do to the console's limitations. To say the PS3 was more powerful also does a disservice to the PS4 which truly is a more powerful system than the XB1.

Yoday

My question to you, then, is what will actually manifest from this 50% performance difference?

If we say 900p vs 1080p across the board as an example, then we're now discussing something tangible. I would certainly notice the difference, and I'd assume most folks on this site would as well. But is your average cowadoody player going to see it? Is he going to give two shits? That discussion is a lot more nuanced, and more interesting, than bickering over some ambiguous percentage point that really doesn't mean anything.

EDIT: "Inherently subjective" was really not the right word for something like resolution, lol. Should think before I post...
I think a key point is that while its possible the masses could see a difference in resolution drop, they will likely never get the chance to compare. Going from the 360 to the Xbone even 1600x900 would be a big leap in IQ, so they won't know what they are missing. I think the bigger difference is going to come from things that you don't need to compare. Things like framerate, v-sync, pop-in, and lack of AA are all going to be likely outcomes of the Xbone's lower power, and things that can stick out like a sore thumb.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Those are going by Nvidia's still fluffed numbers. The real numbers look more like this.

The reason the raw performance figures did not line up with multi platform titles is because Cell and the PS3's RSX were notoriously difficult to develop for. Non unified split ram, multiples SPE's, less overall memory to work with etc. The GPU was actually weaker, and could only overcome it piggy backing off some heavy handed Cell SPE usage. Sony first party had the time and development resources to do this, which is why PS3 first party titles are the best looking and most technically impressive this generation.

PS4 based on raw performance is 38% more powerful than the Xbox One, but without any of the previous issues that plagued the PS3, and with a whole host of other advantages over the XO. This time it's the PS4 with the unified ram, the higher ram bandwidth, the higher ram availability etc. It's a completely different situation.

Curious, where does 77 GFLOPS come from regarding Xenon? I was under the impression it was over 100 (115 GFLOPS)

It does not matter now, just got curious about the number.. :)

Mascot

I disagree, I think the Xbone controller feels great. Top bumper positioning is a little off in terms of accidental hits, but overall I like it fine.

Have you tried the PS4 controller, Bish? Just wondering how the two compare, particularly the feel of the sticks.

Recall

The power of a console does not matter if developers don't take advantage of it, which they won't for years until they figure out how.

Same as always.

amardilo

I think this is the main factor the PS4 be better in terms of power. The PS3's hardware was reported to be extremely difficult to work with and talk coming out now seems to suggest the PS4 hardware doesn't have this issue and the technology is something a lot of developers have experience with.

I doubt the multiplatform games will be much different, but I do think sites like Digital Foundry will most likely showcase that the PS4 versions will have advantages over the Xbox versions but they won't be huge as most developers will use the Xbox One as the baseline and work from there (for PC, PS4 and Xbox One games).

I also think Sony will really showcase their hardware and it will look better than anything the Xbox One has to offer.

Hopefully MS can do some more stuff to close the gap (not sure what is left to do, maybe they could continue to optimise the Xbox One's firmware or something so it ekes out every last bit of power it can).

Having said all that I am planning on getting the Xbox One first (and the PS4 when I have the cash spare) as I think it will take some time for the PS4 to start to show an advantage.

Jack cw

The power of a console does not matter if developers don't take advantage of it, which they won't for years until they figure out how.

Same as always.

Seriously dude, what are you talking about?
Just a few examples:
- N64: Mario 64 a launch title!!!
- PS2: MGS2 a year after launch and it looked and played incredible
- 360: Gears of War a year after launch
- PS3: Uncharted... a year after launch

Devs are, (especially first party) pushing the hardware pretty good with the second genaration of games in terms of performance and graphics. It has always been like this. PS4 and Xbone are even more easier to develop for...

mocoworm

Not good enough for who? Console Warriors? As long as multi-platforms look and perform great on the Xbox One, which they more than likely will, the rest is pretty much irrelevant. This doesn't even account for any of the system's first party content. Most people will really not care or be in anyway envious of how a game looks on another platform, as long as their version of the game is rock solid and not fucked up in some fashion. This fear of being inferior mindset that people are referring to is heavily overstated. Most people really couldn't care about a "face-off." Look at the number of people, even here on GAF, who still purchased and looked forward to the PS3 versions of countless multi-plats, even in spite of everything they knew about how some of them tend to turn out? People say wait till devs get to grips with the hardware, wait for naughty dog to do this, but then people say this almost as if it isn't also true for the Xbox One. Devs will get better on the Xbox One also, and after seeing what 343 did on the aging Xbox 360, I can't wait to see what they do on the Xbox One. What might Epic do? What will Remedy do with Quantum Break? How much better will Turn 10 make the future Forza games? If there's one thing they've proven is that they have an insane work rate, and make pretty significant strides over the course of a generation.

Look what Rare is doing on Kinect Sports Rival's wave race game... Those graphics are insane. Rare may not turn the games out like they use to, but they haven't lost their technical talent, and I doubt Microsoft doesn't allow them to pursue more hardcore specific titles. I'll read the face offs just like anybody else, but I won't lose my mind over them. All I'll check for is to see which Xbox One multi-plats I should maybe avoid, and instead just buy for my PS4. Well, that's not the only reason. I also love reading them.

Awesome post my friend.

/THREAD

Seriously dude, what are you talking about?
Just a few examples:
- N64: Mario 64 a launch title!!!
- PS2: MGS2 a year after launch and it looked and played incredible
- 360: Gears of War a year after launch
- PS3: Uncharted... a year after launch

Devs are, (especially first party) pushing the hardware pretty good with the second genaration of games in terms of performance and graphics. It has always been like this. PS4 and Xbone are even more easier to develop for...

...and all those games were visually outdone a year or two later.

Jack cw

...and all those games were visually outdone a year or two later.

Really? By what games? Their sequels? They relied on the same tech with a few tweaks and sometimes with cost of performance like MGS2 60fps -> MGS3 30 fps.
This is how development works. Experience and better code until the sacrifices get to big. There is still no 360 game that looks and runs better than Gears 1 for example.

Xbox One games will look great, but it's fair to say that third party titles will likely run better on the PS4 and Sony's first party efforts will completely dwarf anything Microsoft has.

Not "dwarf." Carmack would not have said they were so similar if one were to "dwarf" the other.

As for "perform better," yes, it will. But you are overestimating the difference. A dev on here said at worst it will be something like 1080p @ 60fps vs. 900p @ 50fps. Not a huge difference. Certainly not huge for casuals who may not even be able to tell the difference.

velociraptor

Nib, the 360's CPU is 115 Gflops. This brings the total to about 355 Gflops for the 360 vs 406 Gflops for the PS3.

The PS3 is slightly more powerful although it's much more difficult to access the power.

Marleyman

Banned
Not good enough for who? Console Warriors? As long as multi-platforms look and perform great on the Xbox One, which they more than likely will, the rest is pretty much irrelevant. This doesn't even account for any of the system's first party content. Most people will really not care or be in anyway envious of how a game looks on another platform, as long as their version of the game is rock solid and not fucked up in some fashion. This fear of being inferior mindset that people are referring to is heavily overstated. Most people really couldn't care about a "face-off." Look at the number of people, even here on GAF, who still purchased and looked forward to the PS3 versions of countless multi-plats, even in spite of everything they knew about how some of them tend to turn out? People say wait till devs get to grips with the hardware, wait for naughty dog to do this, but then people say this almost as if it isn't also true for the Xbox One. Devs will get better on the Xbox One also, and after seeing what 343 did on the aging Xbox 360, I can't wait to see what they do on the Xbox One. What might Epic do? What will Remedy do with Quantum Break? How much better will Turn 10 make the future Forza games? If there's one thing they've proven is that they have an insane work rate, and make pretty significant strides over the course of a generation.

Look what Rare is doing on Kinect Sports Rival's wave race game... Those graphics are insane. Rare may not turn the games out like they use to, but they haven't lost their technical talent, and I doubt Microsoft doesn't allow them to pursue more hardcore specific titles. I'll read the face offs just like anybody else, but I won't lose my mind over them. All I'll check for is to see which Xbox One multi-plats I should maybe avoid, and instead just buy for my PS4. Well, that's not the only reason. I also love reading them.

Great post.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
That's a HUGE difference.

To the GAF Hardcore and PC Gamers? Yes. To most casuals? No.

Sony will probably push the power difference and work to convince the casuals otherwise, though, and it may work. I just think an everyday gamer playing one then the other wouldn't see much difference, though TV size would be important in those tests.

I think that is actually a huge difference.

Is it? Also, I'm pulling numbers out of thin air. In other words, I think that's what the numbers are in the worst case scenario, in addition to a given game being completely un-optimized. With optimization, the numbers could (and should) be a lot closer. Microsoft is very good with software. I know people don't like the design of Windows 8, for example, but it is an excellent, stable system.

It's really not going to be as bad as you think.

Ushae

Banned
You need to do a better job than that. The Xbox One already has incredible looking games, and it will continue to have incredible looking games. .

*clap*

The power argument is certainly one for hardcores considering the power difference isn't going to be as large as other previous gens

I would say though that for the majority of GAF the main console for multiplats will be the one with better looking games

Whether or not individuals will buy both or not is more interesting

For Gaffers I feel the power argument is a valid one if they're considering one console like that active thread that's going around

Exclusive games for both of course are the other important consideration

But considering the industry seems to be going to more 3rd Party and hit every platform possible imo, it's a valid argument for those who care

To casuals and softcore, it won't matter

Activision will get COD to 60FPS no matter what

Hell it was 544P last go around wasn't it?

Jonm1010

Banned
Not "dwarf." Carmack would not have said they were so similar if one were to "dwarf" the other.

As for "perform better," yes, it will. But you are overestimating the difference. A dev on here said at worst it will be something like 1080p @ 60fps vs. 900p @ 50fps. Not a huge difference. Certainly not huge for casuals who may not even be able to tell the difference.

Perhaps, but I keep seeing people ignoring the fact that not only will games look superior on ps4 but they will come in at a price tag of $100 less.

So while many non-technical geek gamers may not care about the difference in graphics they are likely to be more price sensitive.

rvy

Banned
To the GAF Hardcore and PC Gamers? Yes. To most casuals? No.

Sony will probably push the power difference and work to convince the casuals otherwise, though, and it may work. I just think an everyday gamer playing one then the other wouldn't see much difference, though TV size would be important in those tests.

Just because people don't understand the technical aspect behind it, they can sure notice 1080p @ 60 vs 900p @ 50.

RSX is not a 176 Gflops part, going from a sony presentation its 192gflops @ 500mhz:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20060329/3dps3.htm

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20060329/3dps309.jpg

And I would have to say that I disagree with the notion that sony 1st party games are simply more technically advanced than everything else on the market, or that Ps3's shortcomings come only from difficult of use.

Curious, where does 77 GFLOPS come from regarding Xenon? I was under the impression it was over 100 (115 GFLOPS)

It does not matter now, just got curious about the number.. :)

115 gflops is an inflated number that is non achievable. It comes from the scalar and vector execution units that each core has, but IIRC, for each clock the instruction could only use the vector unit or the scalar unit, so you would never have a real peak of the two operations added.

IT Slave

Banned
Not seeing what's so bad about what MS said. They basically said, "Our machine is more than the sum of it's parts and we'll let the games speak for themselves."

Sony is saying they have the fastest car ever because their engine has more cylinders and 50 more HP. MS is basically saying, all that matters is how it performs on the track.

So the moment that PS4 games start looking better than Xbox One games from a technical perspective is the moment we can shove this back in MS face. But not a moment sooner.

Klocker

Not seeing what's so bad about what MS said. They basically said, "Our machine is more than the sum of it's parts and we'll let the games speak for themselves."

Sony is saying they have the fastest car ever because their engine has more cylinders and 50 more HP. MS is basically saying, all that matters is how it performs on the track.

So the moment that PS4 games start looking better than Xbox One games from a technical perspective is the moment we can shove this back in MS face. But not a moment sooner.

exactly

commedieu

Banned

Yes, but they've changed that message, and they've tried to hide it under PR buzzwords. This isn't what Microsoft has been stating since day one, remember, the cloud was going to do everything magical, after that reality was debunked and realized, now its all about how it handles on the track. The excuse of the Miata. They came to the table pretending their box was powerful, that the cloud was going to process things in ways we could never imagine, etc. With that being unfounded, the excuses are latched onto.

Microsoft would be in a better, honest, position, if they knew what they wanted to do with the Xbone. If they know the pulse of gamers, as we all know MS does, then they would know the gaming community wouldn't care about lesser hardware. They wouldn't look like they are trying to spin their hardware shortcomings, if they knew that hardware was not important.

If MS stuck to the message that they didn't design the xbox for hardcore gaming, none of us would be here. Instead of trying to double back and say that while its mathematically inferior, its STILL better, in a technical performing way. Its just silly. As they are trying to redefine everything, again, much like they've done with the term "exclusive."

IT Slave

Banned
RSX is not a 176 Gflops part, going from a sony presentation its 192gflops @ 500mhz:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20060329/3dps3.htm

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20060329/3dps309.jpg

And I would have to say that I disagree with the notion that sony 1st party games are simply more technically advanced than everything else on the market, or that Ps3's shortcomings come only from difficult of use.

115 gflops is an inflated number that is non achievable. It comes from the scalar and vector execution units that each core has, but IIRC, for each clock the instruction could only use the vector unit or the scalar unit, so you would never have a real peak of the two operations added.
Then how are CELL's GFLOPS calculated? Aren't they basically the same parts? (PPC Core with SPEs)? Does this need to be adjusted as well?

Yes, but they've changed that message, and they've tried to hide it under PR buzzwords. This isn't what Microsoft has been stating since day one, remember, the cloud was going to do everything magical, after that reality was debunked and realized, now its all about how it handles on the track. The excuse of the Miata. They came to the table pretending their box was powerful, that the cloud was going to process things in ways we could never imagine, etc. With that being unfounded, the excuses are latched onto.

Microsoft would be in a better, honest, position, if they knew what they wanted to do with the Xbone. If they know the pulse of gamers, as we all know MS does, then they would know the gaming community wouldn't care about lesser hardware. They wouldn't look like they are trying to spin their hardware shortcomings, if they knew that hardware was not important.

If MS stuck to the message that they didn't design the xbox for hardcore gaming, none of us would be here. Instead of trying to double back and say that while its mathematically inferior, its STILL better, in a technical performing way. Its just silly. As they are trying to redefine everything, again, much like they've done with the term "exclusive."

Yep MS's messaging has been all over the place since the reveal, hell before the reveal with orth

So I feel no qualms about belittling their PR now

Major Nelson didn't wait until PS3 released to do a comparison

Not sure why we should feel the need to given how much of the specs we're aware of

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Have you tried the PS4 controller, Bish? Just wondering how the two compare, particularly the feel of the sticks.
Yes, I was just messing around with it this morning. The new DualShock for PS4 feels better, chunkier. Most of my FPS console action was on 360 this gen, but putting aside differences in power between platforms, I would be inclined to move over to the PS4 controller. You can't go wrong with either one.

Back on topic - I think this thread has run the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom