• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever seen Mario jump like THIS? New Super Mario Galaxy video

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Three warnings about what I'm posting:

-No youtube
-Won't work for readers in the U.K. and Canada
-Spoils a little of the game

With that out of the way, I wanted to show you guys two videos I posted on the Multiplayer blog today from Super Mario Galaxy. I had asked Nintendo's Nate Bihldorff to show me something that probably hadn't hit the web yet, and he showed me this:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007/10/16/super-mario-galaxy-on-video-narrated-by-nintendo-featuring-the-plumbers-most-amazing-jump/

If you want to skip spoilers but do want to see the most amazing Mario jump I've ever seen (that's not in a tool-assisted run), jump 3 minutes into the video...which is at the 1:40 remaining mark.

I posted a very short second video, too:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007/10/16/super-mario-galaxy-on-video-pt-2-a-quick-crazy-world/

megateto

stephentotilo said:
Three warnings about what I'm posting:

-No youtube
-Won't work for readers in the U.K. and Canada
-Spoils a little of the game

And what about the rest of Europe? Lots of non-UK Eurogaffers here, mister :lol

methane47

Whats up with all the rachet and Clank hate in the video man?

It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder or something that Rachet and Clank had spherical worlds and Gravity shifts before SMG did?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yeah...when you said 'most amazing mario jump outside of a tool-assisted speedrun' i was expecting some freakish demonstration of platforming skill rather than an expected consequence of galaxy's gravity. i had to make sure i hadn't skipped to the wrong part of the video. neat, but awfully misleading.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
about the jump, I could only barely see Mario, so that obviously wasn't the reason to watch these vids for

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
darunia,

I agree. Mario is so small in that video, that I was worried people would miss the jump. That's why I called it out.

I wish Nintendo let me show all the video we shot. But sadly, they put all outlets on a five minute limit

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
stephentotilo said:
darunia,

I agree. Mario is so small in that video, that I was worried people would miss the jump. That's why I called it out.

I wish Nintendo let me show all the video we shot. But sadly, they put all outlets on a five minute limit

Hey stephen, real nice job on 1upyours last Friday.

Lee N

Membre
Ryan Schneider said:
There's evidence all around us I think, of certain games that have borrowed from Ratchet and Clank. One that we're even extremely flattered by is Super Mario Galaxy, with their spherical worlds; we did spherical worlds in Going Commando, and Up Your Arsenal. It would be amazing to think that Miyamoto-san thought that was so cool that he wanted to incorporate it into Mario Galaxy.

OXDFqWuKT.gif

Uh, yeah.

traveler

Not Wario
stephentotilo said:
darunia,

So, Stephen, when are you and N'Gai going to get together and do the One Podcast to Rule Them All? :D

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
traveler,

in due time, in due time. next up from me and him is another Vs Mode, probably hitting next week.

gotta get to work on my Nate interview now. much more Nintendo summit stuff coming from me all week.

kottila

methane47 said:
Whats up with all the rachet and Clank hate in the video man?

It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder or something that Rachet and Clank had spherical worlds and Gravity shifts before SMG did?

He's just messing with the Nintendorep. Calm down.

bachikarn

Lee N said:
OXDFqWuKT.gif

Uh, yeah.

Also not to mention that the whole spherical world was done in the Mario 128 demo before Gamecube wasn't even released. I've never played Ratchet, so it might be similar, but I think it is pretty evident that the ideas were developed independently.

Edit: wow beaten by a good country mile

traveler

Not Wario
stephentotilo said:
traveler,

in due time, in due time. next up from me and him is another Vs Mode, probably hitting next week.

gotta get to work on my Nate interview now. much more Nintendo summit stuff coming from me all week.

Ah, excellent. I'll be interested in reading that stuff as well.

santouras

I actually thought the amazing jump was going to be him jumping through the
up/down gravity fields
and somehow managing to keep it going

Lee N

Membre
Not to mention..

oJqBaYqrn.jpg

(it's from the 1940's)

Oh, and.. ROUND PLANETS. Where on EARTH did they get that idea?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
"-Won't work for readers in the U.K. and Canada"

Goddammit. Why the hate men?

Xav

I hate MTV, always blocking off videos by region. UK GAF members like myself always get screwed.
Hey I know you Stephen, your the guy who actually asks good questions when you interview people. Keep up the good work.

Thrakier

No one from Insomniac said that it is CLEARLY inspired by Ratchet and Clank. They said that it is a cool (but not very realistic) thing to think that myiamoto was inspired by insomniac. Great work, MTV.

YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube YouTube

NotWii

Banned
Nate doesn't seem to know his stuff...
- The pill planetoid has been shown before in an official trailer...
- Mario's spin move is not new, but it is emphasized more in Galaxy.
- Smash Brothers Melee had unique homerun bat animations, this is not new for Brawl.
When he demoed Twilight Princess on stage at E3 2006, he managed to make it look boring...

BTW, Insomniac's claims are waaaaay off base, they should read some of Miyamoto's and Koizumi's interviews about the planetoid origins.

NotWii

Banned
TwinIonEngines said:
Bill Trinen > Nate Bihldorf
I remember him saying something about Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess that was dead wrong.

But being able to translate Japanese on the fly is amazing.

Top Bottom