• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin 4.0 Released

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm toying with the idea of doing a custom texture "set" for Ikaruga. Set would consist of like 4-5 textures maybe, that are for some reason embarrassingly low res in the game compared to everything else.

Josh7289

Amazing how running Skyward Sword at native Wii resolution makes the watercolor effect look better than when running it on Dolphin at a higher-than-Wii resolution. It's kind of like how old console games would use composite video artifacts and pixel art dithering to make colors and gradients that weren't otherwise possible on that hardware, and how those effects aren't easily recreated on pixel perfect emulators either.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Direct3D9
3x native resolution (1920x1584)
4x SSAA
16x Anisotropic Filtering
Forced Texture Filtering
Per-Pixel Lighting

http://dolphingamegallery.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-part-2.html

10g4k5s.jpg

Just throwing this out there, but you should look into some of the Gecko codes for the game as well to potentially alleviate some of the more annoying aspects of the game.

Ex:

No Notification The First Time You Collect A Bug Or Treasure
Text Speed Modifier (XXXX Times Normal Text Speed)
Disable Fi's Dowsing Reminder

Stuff like that

Rich!

Can't test it myself right now, but does Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 work yet? My copy is a ripped PAL one as that's all I have, but I hear it had the same issues with the USA copies too (missing graphics, no skaters).

goddamn I want to play it again in HD

Garteal

Nice shots EatChildren! It makes me want to give the game a try again.
I dropped it for some reason a while back and haven't picked it up since. Not that I don't like it, but it's a mess to set up my 'sensor bar'.

I've held off playing Skyward Sword again on Dolphin despite having a capable PC for two reasons:

1) Have no suitable IR sensor. I would like a USB one if possible but it's nigh impossible to find one anywhere online in Canada. Batteries... not my thing. Candles... not my thing. Also don't really want to have the Wii U on all the time just so I can use the sensor. Also, I don't want to rip it apart and make my own :p
2) I want to be sure of a working bluetooth adapter before buying one. My Wii remote plus it one of the -TR variant that requires the Toshiba bluetooth stack and I don't want to buy a shitty one that I can't force the drivers on.

PirateKing

Does anyone have the custom built Dolphin for Xenoblade? Not even this version fixes stuttering, and now there are FPS issues although I didn't tweak the emulator.

Lettuce

Sadly Rogue Squadron still doesnt work, you can now get past the title screen but on the first level the deathstar is invisible! :(

Does anyone have the custom built Dolphin for Xenoblade? Not even this version fixes stuttering, and now there are FPS issues although I didn't tweak the emulator.

I've been trying out a ton of different configurations with Xenoblade for a bit now and I think I got it running pretty good.
Try these settings they might be of some help:

1fw.png

2fw.png

3fw.png

3fw.png

4fw.png

5fw.png

Notes:
OpenAL -
Latency - 1 (anything higher makes the audio lag very noticeable)

Graphics
Dx11 - you can try OpenGL for the vertex streaming hack, but for me OpenGL makes the game stutter for some reason.
Internal Resolution - probably depends on your vcard, I have it set up to x3 since I also use smaa, for me this setting doesn't really seem to have any impact on performance.
AA - none since I use a higher internal resolution with smaa; you can also force mlaa or fxaa depending on whether you use AMD or Nvidia.
OpenCL vs OpenMP - After lots and lots of testings... I am still unsure which is the better option, that said OpenCL seems to provide a better average frame rate although this is purely based on my own experience and not on actual data recorded off of the game.

Anyway, hope this helps.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've held off playing Skyward Sword again on Dolphin despite having a capable PC for two reasons:

1) Have no suitable IR sensor. I would like a USB one if possible but it's nigh impossible to find one anywhere online in Canada. Batteries... not my thing. Candles... not my thing. Also don't really want to have the Wii U on all the time just so I can use the sensor. Also, I don't want to rip it apart and make my own :p

2) I want to be sure of a working bluetooth adapter before buying one. My Wii remote plus it one of the -TR variant that requires the Toshiba bluetooth stack and I don't want to buy a shitty one that I can't force the drivers on.

I might be able to help you.

1) Have you tried looking recently? Some of the "wireless" sensor bars actually have a (non mandatory) USB cable connection.

This one, specifically, is the one I own, but it's sold out on that store. I've seen people buying them (not this exact model, but with the same characteristics) on Amazon. You should double check.

2) Are you sure that's still the case? The Wiimote support was updated in this version of Dolphin and the Microsoft Bluetooth stack was updated to support the wiimote on every bluetooth adapter that it has support to. Also, to be completely honest, I never heard about a specific model of WiiMote requiring a specific bluetooth device and/or driver stack. I remember people having issues with most bluetooth adapters, because the drivers wouldn't support the Wiimote, but since Microsoft added native support to their driver stack, I've never heard anybody having problems.

I have a Japanese Red WiiMotion+ and it works wonderfully with my motherboard's built in BlueTooth.

To each his own, but I actually legitimately think Skyward Sword looks better in native resolution, whether on Dolphin or a Wii with component cables (SS looks like crap with composite).

The pixelation adds to the painterly effect of the environments. Objects in the distance look kind of like a dot painting.

I'll admit that the higher resolutions give the foreground a lot less aliasing, which is nice, but not worth the trade-off IMO.

Now Twilight Princess on the other hand... if only I could get that to run at full speed...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Alright so I was messing around with the different levels of AA to see how they looked in Skyward sword and I noticed something weird.

Using SSAA actually alters the colors of the game as well. There's examples below along with the settings used labeled on the images.

I just wanted to show off the differences between the different levels of AA because I was considering playing through at native res but using 9xSSAA because I thought the DoF looked better but seeing how the colors are effected I'm not sure.

Kokonoe

Banned
I wonder if it's possible to setup Skyward Sword to work with a controller. I'll be using my Wavebird, maybe I can set the swings to the right stick.

I also noticed there is a Dolphin emulator on Android, suppose I'll give it a shot on my Nvidia Shield.

So I played Mario Kart online and it ran smoothly. But Brawl online was pretty bad. Anyone else have bad lag with Brawl online?

It's the actual netcode itself. Brawl's online on the Wii wasn't because of the Wii hardware, it was because they didn't know how to code online play.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Alright so I was messing around with the different levels of AA to see how they looked in Skyward sword and I noticed something weird.

Using SSAA actually alters the colors of the game as well. There's examples below along with the settings used labeled on the images.

I just wanted to show off the differences between the different levels of AA because I was considering playing through at native res but using 9xSSAA because I thought the DoF looked better but seeing how the colors are effected I'm not sure.

The purple is weird. I've got it too, when SSAA is enabled, along with a weird glow framing the screen. My purple isn't quite as bad as yours in those screens though, and I don't think it's impacting the textures so much as a weird specular effect that shows up on certain angles. I noticed it early in the game, a wall that would only have a purple tinge when I walked past it, but if I looked directly at it was fine.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The purple is weird. I've got it too, when SSAA is enabled, along with a weird glow framing the screen. My purple isn't quite as bad as yours in those screens though, and I don't think it's impacting the textures so much as a weird specular effect that shows up on certain angles. I noticed it early in the game, a wall that would only have a purple tinge when I walked past it, but if I looked directly at it was fine.

For the purpose of showing off the issue I disabled fog so that it could be isolated to exactly what the difference is.

It's still definitely noticeable with fog enabled, but I thought for showing off solely the issue then disabling it would be best.

And yeah, as it stands, I think avoiding SSAA and just using a higher internal rendering resolution might be a better idea if someones aiming for more accurate visuals. I'm considering just rendering to "Window size" and setting my screen resolution to 4k so that I could hopefully avoid any of the misrepresented colors and overly sharp/scratchy depth of field.

zulux21

So I doubt most people will care, but I decided to test Fortune Street online via dolphin 4.0 (I couldn't find any source citing if it worked or not) and wanted to mention it worked just fine. The game still has some minor issues for me (some settings changes not on the fortune street dolphin wiki might fix them but they aren't game effecting) but I just played a game with my friend online.

Kokonoe

Banned
Playing Mario Kart Wii online again has reminded me how broken the items are in this and that the track design is pretty terrible at times. This one guy kept picking Wario's Gold Mine lol.

Direct3D9
3x native resolution (1920x1584)
4x SSAA
16x Anisotropic Filtering
Forced Texture Filtering
Per-Pixel Lighting

Just out of Curiosity what are some of your other settings, like in the audio section? I'm on a 2500k at 4.3 or 4.4, ghz, a 7870 that's overclocked to 1100mhz, and 16 gigs of ram and I'm getting a lot of stuttering when trying to play the game.

2) Are you sure that's still the case? The Wiimote support was updated in this version of Dolphin and the Microsoft Bluetooth stack was updated to support the wiimote on every bluetooth adapter that it has support to. Also, to be completely honest, I never heard about a specific model of WiiMote requiring a specific bluetooth device and/or driver stack. I remember people having issues with most bluetooth adapters, because the drivers wouldn't support the Wiimote, but since Microsoft added native support to their driver stack, I've never heard anybody having problems.

I have a Japanese Red WiiMotion+ and it works wonderfully with my motherboard's built in BlueTooth.

I have a US Black WiiMotion+ remote and it refuses to connect to dolphin. I'm on my motherboard's (Asus) built in bluetooth adapter, and I believe the default MS stack. All that happens is it claims to connect to the PC and then the wiimote sits there flashing it's lights and no amount of hitting refresh in Dolphin gets it to connect. I'm going to have to look into the toshiba stack it looks like.

I was able to get a regular Wiimote with the M+ add on to connect no problem at all, was easy peasy. That said though I now see where most people had issues with the motion controls in the game. The M+ add on runs like shit on this game, where as when I played through it the first time with my built in m+ controller I didn't have a single issue with it.

Is a 3.00GHz i5 (unfortunately I did not have the foresight to buy a K model or a mobo that allows for overclocking) good enough to play Wind Waker with? I tried playing it at 4x native resolution with forced 16x anistropic filtering in DX11 but the frame rate dipped even on the first island. I also had the audio on HLE and had the frame rate limited to the audio.

Which settings could I turn down or off to squeeze more performance out of it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just out of Curiosity what are some of your other settings, like in the audio section? I'm on a 2500k at 4.3 or 4.4, ghz, a 7870 that's overclocked to 1100mhz, and 16 gigs of ram and I'm getting a lot of stuttering when trying to play the game.

Here's everything in "Config" (includes audio).
-General-
Enable Dual Core: on
Enable Idle Skipping: on
Enable Cheats: on
Framelimit: 30
Limit by FPS: on
CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompiler
Force Console as NTSC-J: off

-Audio-
DSP Emulator Engine: DSP HLE emulation (fast)
DSPLL on Separate Thread: off
Dump Audio: off
Audio Backend: XAudio2
(note: I do get a little bit of audio crackling and popping in the music)

-Wii-
Use EuRGB60 Mode (PAL60): on
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Here's everything in "Graphics".
-General-
Backend: Direct3D9
Fullscreen resolution: Auto
Aspect ratio: Auto
V-sync: off
Use Fullscreen: off

-Enhancements-
Internal Resolution: 3x Native (1920x1584)
Anti-Aliasing: 4xSSAA
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Scaled EFB Copy: on
Per-Pixel Lighting: on
Force Texture Filtering: on
Widescreen Hack: off
Disable Fog: off
3D Vision: off

-Hacks-
Skip EFB Access from CPU: off
Ignore Format Changes: on
EFB Copies disabled: unchecked
EFB Copies set to Texture
Texture Cache Accuracy: Safe
External Frame Buffer disabled: checked
Fast Depth Calculation: on
everything else in this section and -Advanced- unchecked/off

FerranMG

Guys, I've tried playing a couple of games in my Macbook Air 2012, but they all have low VPS value, and it seems like they're playing at half speed.

I guess the computer is not powerful enough?
Or is there anything that can be done to tune performance.

I've checked a few FAQs and haven't found anything. Please, point me towards the answer if this subject has been discussed somewhere!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Here's everything in "Config" (includes audio).

Here's everything in "Graphics".
You should set "ignore format changes" to off. If its set to on then some objects won't render at times. For example, in the temple area I posted above a lot of the greenery and leaves can disappear when ignore format changes is on.

EatChildren

Skyward Sword Dolphin Screenshots: Part 3.

1twsd1.jpg

7ojsdw.jpg

You should set "ignore format changes" to off. If its set to on then some objects won't render at times. For example, in the temple area I posted above a lot of the greenery and leaves can disappear when ignore format changes is on.

Noted. I did notice some pop-in, but it didn't seem problematic as data loaded quick enough. Resolution and aliasing changes erased data, weirdly.

Oh, and that colour issue? Pretty cool with it most of the time, except Lanayru Desert. More or less have to have SSAA off unless you like purple shifting sand.

Anteater

Guess I'll replay wind waker and add some cheap shit bloom with sweetfx to pretend I'm playing wind waker hd :lol

Never actually finished that game on GC either.

Garteal

HOLY FUCK

I CAN RUN THE GAME FINE NOW. THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

holy shit i am so happy now
You're welcome.

Thanks. Spotted that earlier, wonder why they decided that?
If you read the post I linked you to, you'd see that it's basically needed to avoid hanging (black screens). If you get black screens, use LLE to pass them unless they happen too frequently, then you'll have to deal with the lag and use LLE.

What are your specs by the way?

Trying to play Resident Evil 4 and the audio keeps crackling. Running out of ideas.

Here are my specs:

i7 @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs)
8 gig RAM
GeForce GTX 560 Ti (2506 MB)

Here are my settings for Dolphin:

[Config ]

Enable Dual Core
Enable Idle Skipping
Framelimit: 30
Limit by FPS

JITIL experimental recompiler
DSP HLE emulation
XAudio2

[Graphics]
OpenGL
Fullscreen resolution: Auto
Aspect Ratio: Auto
Use Fullscreen

Show FPS
Hide Mouse Cursor

Internal Resolution: Auto (Window Size)
Anti-Aliasing: None
Anisotrophic Filtering: 1x
Scaled EFB Copy

Skip EFB Access from CPU
EFB Copies -- RAM
External Frame Buffer -- Disable
Fast Depth Calculation

My video card is up-to-date and I have tried editing the config ini file for RE4. I'm at chapter 2-1 (cabin fight) and the game runs at 21fps on average which I wouldn't mind too much if the audio weren't unbearable. Please help? :(

qq more

I...I think I just fixed Sonic Colors' framerate issue. I'm not sure what's the side effect is so far but WOW. Went from 20FPS to NEAR PERFECT (if not perfect) 30FPS (the game runs at that speed in general).

ColorsConfig.png

Right click on the game in the main menu and click Properties. Then go to the red boxed option and just make it a checkmark instead of square.

I can't believe it... wow. Like I've said though, I haven't fully tested the game so there may be a side effect. Try it out yourselves!

Munin

Xenoblade works great, but I have got some very faint crackling on the audio. It's not stuttering, the audio's completely fine otherwise, just a barely audible pop every 3 or 4 seconds, just loud enough to be annoying. What should I try changing to fix this?

Top Bottom