• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin 4.0 Released

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Laptop wise...what performance do you think an I5-4200m, 8GB RAM with a nvidia 2GB 765m would achieve?

due to the relatively low clocked CPU there will be some games you won't be able to run at full speed (like F Zero GX, as well as more demanding Wii games), but I believe you should be fine with 90% of GC games and probably 80% of Wii games, running at full speed at 2-3X internal resolution with at least minimal AA/AF. If there are certain Wii games you're particularly interested in running well, I'd ask about them beforehand, so you know what to expect.

Taurus

Really considering upgrading my rig for next-gen multiplats and especially for Dolphin, this shit is gorgeous! About how big investment I'm looking for? Talking Cpu, ram, motherboard and gpu wise. Any recommendations?

solarus

Wish the sound issue would get fixed in galaxy 2 :/ also had weird graphical issues like goombas being dark. Solid 60fps on my 4670k at 4.6ghz though.

liquidtmd

Banned
due to the relatively low clocked CPU there will be some games you won't be able to run at full speed (like F Zero GX, as well as more demanding Wii games), but I believe you should be fine with 90% of GC games and probably 80% of Wii games, running at full speed at 2-3X internal resolution with at least minimal AA/AF. If there are certain Wii games you're particularly interested in running well, I'd ask about them beforehand, so you know what to expect.

Thanks man!

rjc571

Banned
I think there are a lot more games hacked than just Kingdom Hearts. Question is why haven't games been hacked on Dolphin. Also I'm using Fraps so I'm pretty sure it means frame rate.

Well you're wrong, FRAPS doesn't report the correct framerate in PCSX2 like it does with Dolphin. And the only way to get a 30 fps game to run at 60 fps is to remove the frame lock with a memory hack, and the only games which have patches available to do this are the Kingdom Hearts games.

Anyone have access to Dragon Quest Swords? Pretty neat and interesting game, im curious to see how it looks on dolphin. Some shots would be great.

Syf

Banned
Has anyone ever managed to get Rogue Squadron 2 to play smoothly and relatively bug-free? On any version of Dolphin? I'm desperate to play this game in 1080p.

Has anyone ever managed to get Rogue Squadron 2 to play smoothly and relatively bug-free? On any version of Dolphin? I'm desperate to play this game in 1080p.
Not a dolphin expert by any means but i think that's impossible right now. Factor 5 used a lot of special code to achieve those fantastic results and that doesnt play nice with emulation.

Lettuce

Not a dolphin expert by any means but i think that's impossible right now. Factor 5 used a lot of special code to achieve those fantastic results and that doesnt play nice with emulation.

Yeah the dev team need to get on this to get these games working in the next few releases, so bummed that the game still doesn't run on version 4.0 :(

I've just recently heard apparently old news that alpha versions of Dolphin that are in pre-alpha are radically different from mainstream Dolphin. Are much more efficient, and are even capable of running Wii U games.

If that's not a rumor or a prank of any kind, that is incredible. And gives me all the more reason to support the Wii U as a PC gamer. The Wii U is around as powerful as the PlayStation 3, so that fact could give me serious hope for the possibility of rpcs3. It also makes me realize that ports of PlayStation 3 exclusive games that don't have a port to the PC, having a port to the Wii U could be almost as good.

My dream of playing Tales of Xillia on the PC could become a reality. Along with other, similar PlayStation 3 exclusive games. I would love to see how Tales of Xillia looks in 1080p.

The more games that reach the Wii U, the more games could be emulatable someday. Also, it sounds like they're making the emulator so efficient that it is running surprisingly well on Tegra 4 systems. So not just higher end PCs, but lower end PCs and even mobile devices could be running all sorts of Nintendo games soon.

If any of this is true, I'm personally really, very impressed. I'd prefer if games got legitimate PC ports. But this is the next best thing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've just recently heard apparently old news that alpha versions of Dolphin that are in pre-alpha are radically different from mainstream Dolphin. Are much more efficient, and are even capable of running Wii U games.

If that's not a rumor or a prank of any kind, that is incredible. And gives me all the more reason to support the Wii U as a PC gamer. The Wii U is around as powerful as the PlayStation 3, so that fact could give me serious hope for the possibility of rpcs3. It also makes me realize that ports of PlayStation 3 exclusive games that don't have a port to the PC, having a port to the Wii U could be almost as good.

My dream of playing Tales of Xillia on the PC could become a reality. Along with other, similar PlayStation 3 exclusive games. I would love to see how Tales of Xillia looks in 1080p.

The more games that reach the Wii U, the more games could be emulatable someday. Also, it sounds like they're making the emulator so efficient that it is running surprisingly well on Tegra 4 systems. So not just higher end PCs, but lower end PCs and even mobile devices could be running all sorts of Nintendo games soon.

If any of this is true, I'm personally really, very impressed. I'd prefer if games got legitimate PC ports. But this is the next best thing.

Dolphin has absolutely zero support for WiiU.

Dolphin has absolutely zero support for WiiU.
So does that make this a joke?

Because they do say they have experimental Wii U support.
Shonumi said:
I am allowed to say a few more things without spoiling the fun surprises in store for you guys. Trust me, this all is just the tip of the iceberg Wink

@warweeney - It's a very advanced version of Dolphin, plays GC/Wii/WiiU(experimental) like I said crazy mad bug fixes (SMG runs flawlessly on HLE, apparently) and CoD: Big Red One plays on the JIT recompiler. Not to mention WFC has been perfected since Nintendo really only cares about their new network for the 3DS and WiiU. You can also use a real DS (not 3DS) as a wireless controller. Cool stuff from what I've seen. SSAA is fixed, wasn't by neobrain, some other guy who just started C++ like two weeks ago.

@CaptainRed - 4.5GHz Ivy Bridge chip is needed for WiiU emulation, GC/Wii will run even the most demanding games (The Last Story) on a 2.7GHz Ivy Bridge chip, yes with LLE audio as well. The current Dolphin code is really inefficient, don't know what we were thinking. It takes advantage of 4+ core systems, and interesting enough, AMD FX chips outperform comparable Intel chips.

That's as much as I can say, cause that's all I know. My version of Dolphin Pro is about 2 months old, and there's been a lot going on since then.
Edit: Upon further research, it's apparently a prank. Don't I feel silly now.

feel

How do you use the improved textures on Windwaker? I see no User folder inside the Dolphin folder.
Anyone? It looks like they changed how this works. I tried creating the folder paths myself and it didn't work. Where do I put the custom HQ textures now?

MLH

Anyone? It looks like they changed how this works. I tried creating the folder paths myself and it didn't work. Where do I put the custom HQ textures now?

For Windows 7 Dolphin directory is now:

C:\Users\{User}\My Documents\Dolphin Emulator
Textures go in:
...\Load\Textures\{GameID}

European LOZ:WW has the ID: GZLP01
Also make sure all textures are correctly named, when I downloaded the textures they were for the US version which had a different ID.

Sentenza

I just tested Dolphin once again after few months without touching it...
Is it just my impression or did they actually make some massive improvements with OpenGL?
It runs virtually on par with DX now, when it used to be *a lot* slower for me.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I just tested Dolphin once again after few months without touching it...
Is it just my impression or did they actually make some massive improvements with OpenGL?
It runs virtually on par with DX now, when it used to be *a lot* slower for me.

From the Dolphin 4.0 changelog:

OpenGL video backend rewrite

The Dolphin OpenGL video backend was rewritten by Markus Wick in order to use newer features of OpenGL and be GLES3 compatible. As a result, the OpenGL backend is now the fastest Dolphin video backend on NVIDIA cards.

PGamer

fucking juniors
4.0.2 is now out.

Download: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

One month after the 4.0.1 release we're releasing the maintenance release 4.0.2. It turned out that some critical regressions had slipped into the 4.0 release due to the major changes linked to the wii-network branch and the global user directory changes.

In particular, one of the fixed issues was related to incorrect usage of wxWidgets and caused various problems with general Dolphin usage on Windows systems with Unicode characters in their user name (e.g. "François" or "あいうえお").

Some rather technical issues caused multiple games to stop booting or to freeze randomly. We've had multiple issue reports on this bug, so it's great to see that we were able to fix this properly.

As for the binary release packages, we unfortunately can only provide Windows builds at the moment. As usual, OS X and Linux users can compile the source themselves by checking out the source from the 4.0.2 git tag. The Windows installers can be found on our downloads page, https://dolphin-emu.org/download/. We hope to be able to provide binaries for other systems in the future, though.

If you're a Windows user and still were using Dolphin 4.0.0, you should uninstall Dolphin before installing the update due to some changes to the installer which happened in the 4.0.1 release. All future Dolphin versions will be installed into "Program Files/Dolphin", whereas the 4.0.0 release still used "Program Files/Dolphin 4.0". Your settings and game saves will survive a deinstallation, so you don't need to worry about having to back them up. If your currently installed Dolphin version is already 4.0.1, you can safely ignore this notice.

Of course, if you want to test the most recent improvements which are happening in Dolphin, you can also use the development versions. They are distributed as plain .7z archives, so you test them safely without damaging an existing installation of a stable release. Keep in mind that they're less simple to install and might have little flaws every now and then. However, we will do our best to make the Dolphin experience for the next stable release even more awesome than it is currently, of course!

Thanks for quoting that bit on OpenGL-- I have a Nvidia card, so I will definitely be using it.

And I know I'm late to the party, but holy hell Sonic Colors finally runs like a fucking champ. I got it at 720p with 8x AA. I'm tempting to crank it up more, but it looks gorgeous at the moment and my FPS is a solid 28-30 (mostly 30)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ok im looking at the bluetooths at ebay. Can someone recommend me one?
I plan using it for the Ps3 controller too :3

s_mirage

So what is thye best CPU that has the most compatibility, let me get this straight so a 4670k @ 4.4 won't ,atch the compatiblity on the official website

From my experience with a 3570k@4.4, it'll be just fine for most. There are however a few games that are still stupidly demanding and need some kind of future space computer for good results.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah I just upgraded from an hd4890 to a 750ti and i have a 3570k @ 4.2 (most stable setup for my system)

Everything plays for me at 1080p x3 but nothing I do helps with the fps for Last Story in places. It's so fuckin stupid, because the game looks like such shit sometimes.

Top Bottom