• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

People said the same after gamecube.

The wiiU is selling worse than the gamecube is, and there will be no RE4 or Soul Calibur 2 along this time to help sales.

edit: the gamecube was also $99 for a good chunk of it's time on shelves- nintendo can't get the WiiU that low with as expensive as the pad is.

Holy fuck @ this thread being 127 pages, I'm going to assume it's a graveyard as well.

I think Honey Trap is the correct word. I actually believe that the Mods allow threads like this one to continue so long after they've been derailed and gone to shit. is because it also attract lots of shit posters, shills, and trolls.

The best way to keep flies out of the house is to leave the shit on the front lawn.

Biker19

Banned
You never know.

Game production costs are a pretty big deal.

Even in current gen you have huge name studios and publishers disappearing and that's to develop sub 720p quality games with current gen limitations.

Anyone who thinks many game studios will even want to spend the extra resources maxing out next gen consoles any time soon will be deluding themselves.

The Wii U could end up being the "easy money" option.

Or it could not........at all.......I just feel its somehow wrong to count Nintendo out.

Having weaker hardware doesn't exactly mean having lower development costs. If anything, it'll be more costly to develop games for the Wii U (or even port games to the system) than it will for either Xbox One, PS4, or both due to the Wii U's hardware, assets, codes, etc. not being up to date.

Though I'm not writing the Wii U off, there's a chance it goes on Oprah or something and people suddenly realize it's the successor to the Wii and not just an add on controller and go buy one.

Oprah doesn't have her own TV show anymore.

If anything, it'll be more costly to develop games for the Wii U (or even port games to the system) than it will for either Xbox One, PS4, or both due to the Wii U's hardware, access, codes, etc. not being up to date.

Devs/Pubs would consider rate of return more than upfront cost when thinking of what platforms to develop for

With the Wii U's install base currently it doesn't make much sense to spend a large budget developing for it as there's not going to be much return on investment

PS4 and XB1 look more promising but have yet to be truly determined

I'd say year 2 or 3 is the best to really know your install base going forward

Skeff

Having weaker hardware doesn't exactly mean having lower development costs. If anything, it'll be more costly to develop games for the Wii U (or even port games to the system) than it will for either Xbox One, PS4, or both due to the Wii U's hardware, access, codes, etc. not being up to date.

Oprah doesn't have her own TV show anymore.

Worst news of the day, pre order cancelled, errrm well you know what I mean.

When Jimmy Fallon did video games week With PS4 and XB1 I don't think WiiU was even on the show was it?

stryke

Now all that may or may not happen again because all 3 companies have already experienced what arrogance may cost them and I sure as hell not wish for it to happen again.

It's funny how one company didn't even reach market leader status and went through this.

KoopaTheCasual

haha, I was going to say your username reminds me of another poster on here called senjustsu sage, I'm sure you know why, but that last sentence is the exact opposite of his opinion, I thought I'd just point out the similarities and opposites and how it made me laugh.

To be honest, I think we have 1 more console gen after this one, and maybe that will be a sony monopoly in the sense of pure games consoles

I'd like to clarify that point though, I think there will be an Xbox One 2 or whatever, but it will be less of a video game console and more of a multimedia device, less for the hardcore gamer and more for the casual/ TV watcher, essentially they'll put the most powerful console they can inside the kinect casing and offer a cloud service. Sony will continue with a PS5, it will be a strong piece of hardware capable of playing games, They will also release a Playstation Cloud service though on some hardware somewhere near what the equivalent of a VitaTV would be in 10 years. Then they will focus on Cloud gaming the gen after which would perhaps be in 15 years or so and certainly feasible for most of the world with the Playstation 5 still selling in countries without great internet infrastructure. Nintendo may or may not release another console, I think it would be more profitable for them to go multiplatform console wise and do mobile gaming.

I could imagine a deal at the end of the PS4 generation that resulted in Sony not releasing a handheld and offering Gaikai on the next nintendo handheld and nintendo not releasing a console and offering their 1st party games on PS5.

I ultimately see the three companies as diversifying into:

Microsoft: casual subscription service offering Apps over games + on live
Sony: Home games console + Gaikai.
Nintendo: Handheld + third party on Sony.

I'm aware this is probably going to be laughed at and I will be called a sony pony, but it's my 2 cents on your comments.

Not laughing at you, I actually especially agree with the diversification of the industry after the PS4-PS5 era. From the current landscape, it's not outlandish to believe the PS5 will be the last true dedicated home gaming console, because yes, I see MS doubling down on the Kinect with Xbox Two and focusing on a profitable living room machine. The part of the Nintendo 3rd party stuff seems like fantasy to me, tho. I would like it if Nintendo and Sony actually did reach that partnership (didn't they get close to doing that back in the day?) but I don't think their separate business models are currently compatible anymore.

It's funny because in a sense, maybe Valve sees all of this happening, and is leveraging Steam Machines as a VERY long term end to dedicated consoles. Perhaps after the PS5 generation, all Sony and Nintendo 1st party titles will be be available through a Gaikai like subscription service on your personal Steam Machine.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
You should read original Xbone policy thread. It is graveyard. Literally there were ton of shills approved few months ago and suddenly all those people were posting some candy posts about MS after 5-6 posts in other threads (mainly something pro MS).

Do you have the subject title or link? The war seems to have hit a timeout recently and I'm bored lol.

the problem is some of them have played 5 minutes,take the example of andrea on weekend confirmed,she was overexcited..and when asked about the experience..she played only a match..five minutes...she dont know that a lot of his frag were on bots not on real players...she dont know about the lack of single player,etc etc
I'm wondering if it can keep people interested for very long - that's my thing. If MS hadn't shit the bed with this machine and their attitude, I'd prolly pick up an Xbone in the spring for some of their exclusives.

Secondly, most FPSs need to prove themselves before I get them - I'm buying KZ:SF on faith. The only FPSs I've like are the first two Halo campaigns, Borderlands 2, and....well, that's about it.

I hate competitive MP because I can't learn anything getting killed all the time. I'm hoping KZ's MP with bots will help me learn some basic skills before I go head to head with live people. Titanfall may be great - but supposedly so is GTA V and I actively loathe that game - it's just a pile of bad mechanics, poor explanation of objectives, and so much not like Sleeping Dogs.

The FPS I'm most excited about is Destiny - SP and Co-op MP can ease me into limited PVP MP over time after I've got the basic mechanics down.

How would a noob like me practice Titanfall without just getting killed all the time and not even seeing how or by whom I'm getting killed?

TL/DR: I suck at FPS, hence Titanfall doesn't impress me.

the problem is some of them have played 5 minutes,take the example of andrea on weekend confirmed,she was overexcited..and when asked about the experience..she played only a match..five minutes...she dont know that a lot of his frag were on bots not on real players...she dont know about the lack of single player,etc etc

But that's why everyone likes it. It's not like COD where if you're not experienced you die within a minute. It's more accessible. Makes everyone feel empowered.

Sony is putting out so many killer PS3 games before PS4 launches because:

A). They need the money.

B). The install base is massive, which helps with point A.

C). MS isn't even competing there.

They're funding the post launch wave of games by GG, MM, ND and SSM with money made off the huge current gen install base. It's also what Rockstar is doing and it's smart.

Sony is putting out so many killer PS3 games before PS4 launches because:

A). They need the money.

B). The install base is massive, which helps with point A.

C). MS isn't even competing there.

They're funding the post launch wave of games by GG, MM, ND and SSM with money made off the huge current gen install base. It's also what Rockstar is doing and it's smart.

It's smart but with the momentum they have now going into next gen it would have been the nail in MS's coffin if they had some big exclusives at launch. At this point the first wave of big exclusives is at least a year and half away if not longer. That's too long of a wait

badb0y

It's smart but with the momentum they have now going into next gen it would have been the nail in MS's coffin if they had some big exclusives at launch. At this point the first wave of big exclusives is at least a year and half away if not longer. That's too long of a wait

Terrible idea, it's better to have exclusive games lined up at small intervals so people have something to look forward to and the system always has a media buzz. Fill the rest of the time with second party games, indie games, and third party games.

If they came out with a huge catalog of exclusive games at launch they would just end up with an extended drought and people will lose interest.

Krakn3Dfx

We've heard from insiders on here that Sony has big announcements about 2014 games that we haven't heard about. Shooting their load at launch when they already have the pre-order numbers would be a horrible idea. They're playing it just about right from a marketing standpoint.

Terrible idea, it's better to have exclusive games lined up at small intervals so people have something to look forward to and the system always has a media buzz. Fill the rest of the time with second party games, indie games, and third party games.

If they came out with a huge catalog of exclusive games at launch they would just end up with an extended drought and people will lose interest.

I'm not saying release them all at once. But if you're releasing a new console you want to have at least Polyphony, Naughty Dog or Santa Monica releasing something within the launch window.

We've heard from insiders on here that Sony has big announcements about 2014 games that we haven't heard about. Shooting their load at launch when they already have the pre-order numbers would be a horrible idea. They're playing it just about right from a marketing standpoint.

One of these studios releasing a game is not "shooting their load". I'm sorry

badb0y

I'm not saying release them all at once. But if you're releasing a new console you want to have at least Polyphony, Naughty Dog or Santa Monica releasing something within the launch window.

Those teams aren't sitting around though, SSM was on GoW:Ascension, Naughty Dog was on TLoU, and Polyphony is just about to release a game in December.

Sony always supports their old platforms much longer then their competitors do, it's not like they release the PS4 and call it quits on the PS3....

I mean the PS2 JUST stopped being produced....that's longevity.

I meant he PS2 JUST stopped being produced....that's longevity.

Interesting factoid

Fifa 14 is being released on 3 Playstations

PS4, PS3 and PS2 :D

Now that's a cross-gen game

Edit: Actually just realized it releases on both the PSP and PSV as well so 5 Playstations I guess?

KoopaTheCasual

Well that's the point of Sucker Punch making Second Son a launch window game for February. Spread the goodness. I'm expecting big things from VGAs and next E3 in terms of announcements. It's gonna be hype.

All three released games this year for ps3. Two of those three were Sony's biggest IP's. To expect anything from them in the launch window was unrealistic.

We're talking launch here. No decision is going to leave MS or Sony dead and buried. If the PS3 taught us anything (which was in a much worse position than either the x1 or ps4) is that it's going to be a long gen. Releasing huge exclusives at launch doesn't make much sense for Sony or MS. Keeping the people who have already made up their mind more happy than they already are.

Those teams aren't sitting around though, SSM was on GoW:Ascension, Naughty Dog was on TLoU, and Polyphony is just about to release a game in December.

Sony always supports their old platforms much longer then their competitors do, it's not like they release the PS4 and call it quits on the PS3....

I meant he PS2 JUST stopped being produced....that's longevity.

I know and for me that's the dilemma. I know they just released games for the ps3 and as a ps3 owner I appreciate it immensely. All the exclusives this year have been superb. I just don't know if it's the smart thing to do though. Cause as far as exclusives go I think the ps4 will be in a drought for some time. Here's hoping those big 2014 announcements are true.

You're assuming they didn't need the money from the install base of PS3 more than they needed to launch hard with PS4. I think they did. GT is their biggest IP, right? That's why it's on PS3. I think they needed that money. I think that's why they're plugging the launch gap with indies too. They're damned lucky MS flubbed the Xbone so badly. KZ:SF gets some time in the sun at launch and I'm betting they think it'll compete with CoD and Battlefield because it's a bit different. KZ:SF appeals to me because it's NOT Calla-War-Field-Battle. Second Son will be a stopgap highlight against the criticism of 'indies, LOL!' come early spring.

Sony took what could have been a weak hand and focused where it counted: better, gamer-focused and developer approved hardware, cheaper price, spotlight on second string IP that can maybe get a stronger following with less competition, and indies to fill the genre gaps and maybe create a few new ones. Sony could have gone cross-gen like 3rd parties, but I think it would have telegraphed weakness and enraged the hardcore.

vpance

Back in PS2 post launch days, GT3, GTA3, and MGS2 felt like the ultimate trifecta of games that pushed me to get the console, previously being a PC only gamer. If Sony could ever replicate that feeling this time with their own titles that would be something to see...

they better.they are holding too much back.

Disagree. I'd rather have gameplay shown of what actually coming rather than just concept vids. It's not like anyone assumes that those studios are working on nothing.

There's a difference between holding stuff back strategically and simply not having it. The guy that's really waiting for Uncharted, The Order, etc, will just buy one next year or whenever those games are out, announcing them now isn't going to make him/her buy at launch.

Krakn3Dfx

You're right, I'm sure you know better than Sony, clearly you have a mind for the business, better get then the phone let them know they're messing it all up.

Interesting factoid

Fifa 14 is being released on 3 Playstations

PS4, PS3 and PS2 :D

Now that's a cross-gen game

Edit: Actually just realized it releases on both the PSP and PSV as well so 5 Playstations I guess?

This is why EA have not got some "special relationship" with MS. You could say EA stepped in to stop MS from committing self-suicide but that's as far as it goes.

Krakn3Dfx

This is why EA have not got some "special relationship" with MS. You could say EA stepped in to stop MS from committing self-suicide but that's as far as it goes.

Based on EA's own words that they got a truckload of money from Apple to make PvZ2 an ios timed exclusive, you can't seriously think they wouldn't be more than willing to do the same with Microsoft.

Of course they have a special relationship right now. How long that lasts will depend a lot on how console sales setting going into 2014.

FIFA on three PlayStation platforms means absolutely nothing except that EA can slap a new roster on the same PS2 version for the last 4+ years and still get enough people to buy a copy to make it worthwhile.

Based on EA's own words that they got a truckload of money from Apple to make PvZ2 an ios timed exclusive, you can't seriously think they wouldn't be more than willing to do the same with Microsoft.

Of course they have a special relationship right now. How long that lasts will depend a lot on how console sales setting going into 2014.

FIFA on three PlayStation platforms means absolutely nothing except that EA can slap a new roster on the same PS2 version for the last 4+ years and still get enough people to buy a copy to make it worthwhile.

It means EA wants their games on any and all platforms they think will make them money

If they have control of the titanfall IP for instance (I can't recall if they do or not) you can bet they want it on PS4 as soon as the contract allows

EA is going to be well aware of the pre-order numbers and take future install bases into considerations when planning timed exclusives etc.

In essence I have a feeling timed exclusives will be much much more expensive for MS and the XB1 going forward and relative to early X360/PS3 days as the increased X360 install base would serve to make timed exclusive deals cheaper in my opinion

Just my thoughts of course

B_Boss

Is it actually possible, as most believe, to add the ESRAM+DDR3 speeds and factor in the sum to essentially claim it is more than the PS4's bandwidth? I was under the impression (perhaps wrong) that you can't/don't add bandwidth.

I've read comments on a few occasions that the bandwidth of the XB1 is greater as is its CPU but I wasn't sure, though I had thought that the PS4's CPU was more powerful technically.

stryke

Is it actually possible, as most believe, to add the ESRAM+DDR3 speeds and factor in the sum to essentially claim it is more than the PS4's bandwidth? I was under the impression (perhaps wrong) that you can't/don't add bandwidth.

I've read comments on a few occasions that the bandwidth of the XB1 is greater as is its CPU but I wasn't sure, though I had thought that the PS4's CPU was more powerful technically.

To explain it in a noob way in which I understand it, while X1's GPU can access both eSRAM and DDR3 pools simultaneously (and effectively achieving the sum of both bandwidths), much of that high bandwidth capacity is restricted to just 32MB. This can complicate things for the developer in deciding what can go in it and must prioritise bandwidth sensitive tasks to the eSRAM. It's disingenuous to compare it to PS4's RAM setup, since you have all 8GB ( - whatever the reserve is for OS and whatnot) accessible at a high bandwidth.

Regarding CPU and bandwidth, apparently they're the same but it's slightly different with the PS4 (something to do with onion or garlic buses I can't remember anymore), but I recall tech gaffer guru Eltorro saying they're essentially the same.

Also, not sure where you heard the PS4 CPU is better. It's actually the X1's cpu that trumps it in that area since it's running at a higher clock speed. We only know the PS4 cpu's clockspeed is 1.6Ghz as of Feb 2013, it may have changed, it may have not...

Well that's the point of Sucker Punch making Second Son a launch window game for February. Spread the goodness. I'm expecting big things from VGAs and next E3 in terms of announcements. It's gonna be hype.
My current guesses:
Naughty Dog
  • Uncharted 4
  • October 2014
  • Reveal at VGAs 2013
Sony Santa Monica
  • New IP
  • March 2015
  • Reveal at E3 2014
Polyphony Digital
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Reveal some time late 2014/early 2015
  • Holiday 2015

Mario007

they better.they are holding too much back.
Honestly it's not like the competition is having a huge plethora of exclusive games that are coming in the launch window period. From Xbone's exclusive list many of the games we've seen at e3 don't have a release date and many were just rendered trailers (Sunset Overdrive, Halo, Black Tusk game). We basically only have Titanfall for Xbone in the launch window period, same as with Infamous Second Son for PS4. In fact PS4 seems to have Deep Down coming probaly in Q2 (seeing that beta will start in Q1) and the same can be said for FF XIV.

But that's why everyone likes it. It's not like COD where if you're not experienced you die within a minute. It's more accessible. Makes everyone feel empowered.

i dont know if that its a good or bad thing for the game at the end,making you feel a good player just putting dumb ia on the battlefield its not my cup of tea

To explain it in a noob way in which I understand it, while X1's GPU can access both eSRAM and DDR3 pools simultaneously (and effectively achieving the sum of both bandwidths), much of that high bandwidth capacity is restricted to just 32MB. This can complicate things for the developer in deciding what can go in it and must prioritise bandwidth sensitive tasks to the eSRAM. It's disingenuous to compare it to PS4's RAM setup, since you have all 8GB ( - whatever the reserve is for OS and whatnot) accessible at a high bandwidth.

The size of the eSram isn't really an issue, it's big enough to provide all the ram required for the intermediate requirements of the GPU pipeline. MS have measured real world game code getting average esram utilisation of 150GB/s. Concurrently with 50GB/s from ddr3. Giving an average, real world bandwidth of 200GB/s (so 3/4 of ram requests are coming off the eSram.) Peaking at 274GB/s. Measured by MS and published in the DF interview.The x1 is a bandwidth monster.

Top Bottom